indy mike's Pick ONE returns - Cracking good Christmas songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Since I started the naughty list for yucky Chrsitams tunes, I figgered equal time oughta be shared with the songs of the season that are really good. While we're at it, I'm making this an official indy mike Pick ONE thread - quick review of the control freak rules for this game: Pick ONE ttune that fits the thread (in dis case, xcellent Xmas tunes), tell us why it fits the bill, mention a good sounding source and hit Submit. Only one tune per customer per hour - the hour starts when the big hand on the analog clock hits the 12. Here we go!!!!

Batting lead-off is Elvis' sinsational Lieber and Stoller penned Santa Claus Is Back In Town.
    Knocked out by L&S in record time, Elvis stamped this with the patented Presley presence - I can't hear this enough! :righton:

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

"Back Door Santa" - Clarence Carter

("I ain't like ol' Saint Nick. He don't come but once a year. Ho ho ho...."

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

oh yeah - there are so many - :goodie:

Silver Bells - Booker T. & the MGs. It's both funky and gentle - the keyboards just wash all over you like a warm breeze from a crackling fireplace. It has a beautiful coda as the song silently falls off to sleep. :righton:

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

"Christmas(Baby Please Come Home)"--Darlene Love

Can't get better than this...not easily, anyway!

:ed:

5. indy mike

That''s about as good as they get!

6. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

"Thanks for Christmas" by XTC. It conveys real joy, and actually sounds like a holiday song.

7. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Chuck Berry's Run, Run Rudolph (or Run, Rudolph, Run depending how it is listed).

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

"Christmas Wrapping"--Waitresses. My favorite all-time original rock Christmas song.

Beware of the mugging of this classic, perpetrated by the Spice Girls!

9. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Bing Crosby and David Bowie doing Little Drummer Boy. Just love the way it sounds.

10. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Lou Rawls's "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". Others have done good versions of this one--Sinatra, Judy Garland--but Rawls makes it so completely his own that to me it's *the* rendition. I love the little chuckle he gives after repeating "out of sight" in the first verse.

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Julie London's "I'd Like You For Christmas"

Take a look at my holiday avatar, and you'll know why... :love:

I've got it on Shout Factory's Yulesville, but it's on a bunch of holiday comps. Unfortunately, they all seem to have been mastered by Bob Norberg. :mad:

12. indy mike

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Andy Williams; very un-indy mike, I know, but it just sez Christmas, ya know...

13. reechie

reechie Senior Member

For the last several years, it also says "Back To School Time" too! :laugh:

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Christmas Song-Nat King Cole....It's THE Christmas Song for me...It can bring on the Holiday cheer in 90 degrees...
    I prefer the original 1986 The Christmas Song compact disc...

15. GregY

GregY New Member

Bruce Springsteen - Merry Christmas Baby.

Still sounds great to me after many listens.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Yup, just knocks on your noggin and shouts "Merry Christmas"!!!! Indeed!

17. jpbarn

jpbarn Forum Resident

Not exactly a feel-gooder, but...

"Christmas Eve Can Kill You" by The Everly Brothers, from RCA LP "Stories We Could Tell" (early '70's?). Rhino didn't think it was good enough to put on that 4cd set, but if you've ever hitch-hiked in the cold around Christmas, this'll bring the memories flooding back!

John.

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'll propose another instrumental - Los Straitjackets' version of Feliz Navidad - it's a fun little version rolled into a bit of La Bamba in a cha-cha tempo!!

19. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Jingle Bell Slide - Jack Scott - in glorious STEREO on Bear Family BCD 15445 Scott on Groove

20. reechie

reechie Senior Member

"Elf's Lament"- Barenaked Ladies

From their Barenaked For The Holidays album. If "One Week" and it's follow-up clones turned you off to these guys, give this holiday album a chance. It turned out to be better than their last regular album. "Elf's Lament" is a throwback to the goofy, fun tunes from their earliest albums. One of Santa's elves complains about working conditions, pay scales and the lack of an elf union.

Runner up is "Deck The Stills", in which the band, in four part harmony, sing the lyrics "Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young" over and over again to the tune of "Deck The Halls." It's much funnier than I'm making it sound here.

21. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

"Mary's Boy Child"--Harry Belafonte

Gentle gem from '56.....many versions out there, but this is the keeper....

:ed:

22. indy mike

I have the spectacular Carmen Dragon/Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orchestra Christmas set spinning - Joy to the World will have you jump outta yer seat and race for the volume - the dynamic range on this disc is W-I-D-E (just ax Steve, yesman, Larry N.)...

23. merkinmuffley

merkinmuffley Forum Resident

"Millie pulled a pistol on Santa" by De La Soul on their classic disk "De La Soul is Dead."

24. indy mike

Say - that's one I'd like to hear (especially in GLORIOUS STEREO)!!! :agree:

25. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

The entire album "Music of Christmas" by Percy Faith ... a great CD to put on and relax on Christmas Eve ... which what I do every year. (This CD, however, is in need of a remaster ...awfully hissy...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.