indy mike's Pick ONE returns - Cracking good Christmas songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

And now a little more on the lighter side (but not too much):

Have yourself a very merry Christmas
    Have yourself a good time
    But remember the kids who've got nothing
    While you're drinking down your wine

"Father Christmas" - The Kinks

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Christmas Carol-Skip Ewing

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Christmastime-Aimee Mann

4. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

White Christmas - The Drifters

5. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Actually, Percy Faith and his orchestra recorded MUSIC OF CHRISTMAS twice, with the same songs and track sequence - once in 1954 (before Columbia Studios started using multitrack tape), the second in 1959. Both versions saw release on LP - the first recording came out on Columbia CL 588 in 1954 (later reissued as part of C2L 15 in 1958), while the second recording was issued on CL 1381 (mono) and CS 8176 (stereo) in 1959. I have a 1955 pressing of CL 588, an original stereo pressing of CS 8176 and a 1982 reissue pressing of the later recording on PC 38302. Unfortunately, your CD (CK 38302) contains the 1959 stereo performance - and the '80s reissue pressings were cut/mastered flat from the original stereo reduction master mix tape, which (as Steve Hoffman said many times before for Columbia jazz recordings) suffer from a severe treble boost (the 1959 original has had its top end rolled off during the cutting of the lacquers). No wonder why the 1982 pressing sounded harsh and grating compared to earlier masterings - in fact, the 1959 recording of MUSIC OF CHRISTMAS is in dire need of a stereo remix from the original three-track session tapes (not just a remaster).

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll Be Home for Christmas-Dean Martin...spinin now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.