Inexpensive allignment protractor recommendation...only $20!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Friends,

I'd like to recommend that every turntable owner who doesn't have an equal or better device pickup one of these mirror protractors:

http://www.turntablebasics.com/

I recently used one of these to setup my turntable and compared the results with my db systems protractor. The mirror is dead accurate. Not only that, but it's very easy to use and ridiculously inexpensive. I recommend a laser pointer as an essential accessory for lining up the protractor with the pivot point of the tonearm for absolute accuracy as far as setting overhang. The fact that this protractor is only twenty bucks makes it a "no brainer" IMO. Good luck!

2. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

As Prix says if you have a turntable and set it up yourself these are a must :agree:

The one I use resembles a meat cleaver :)

All the best - Andrew :cool:

Attached Files:

3. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

Prix,

Thanks for the link! I just ordered the protractor, and the circular bubble level. So, no more trashin' me vinyl! :righton:

4. audio

Don't forget a standard straight level as well. You'll need to just to verify the accuracy of both. Also....get that Shure stylus force gauge, bro.

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Great for your Meatloaf albums, eh Andrew? :D

It's similar to mine (Dennesen Soundtractor), which has a point that you set onto the arm's pivot point. No worrying about my failing eyesight not lining up to the pivot point. ;)

6. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Yup - using it is easier than riding a bike and no worries about misalignment :agree: This one is based on the Soundtractor which are rarer than unicorn droppings over here :)

Andrew :cool:

7. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

how much does a lasre pointer cost?

I bought one of the protractor, but did not have a laser pointer, so did not feel that I could accurately find the pivot point.

I downloaded the free protractor from enjoythemusic.com It works great and once I set it up with the free protractor I used the $20 one to verify if it was aligned corretly.

8. audio

Laser pointers range in price. Mine was $30. You can always go and buy an expensive one...try it out...and if you don't like it...take it back for a refund.

9. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

I've been looking for a decent straight level. I've got a small cross check plastic thing, but want something more. I've also been looking for laser levels, too. I hit Lowe's last weekend, and I couldn't find one in the "level" section. They may have them in some other part of the store, but I ain't gonna look for it. I already have the Shure SFG, which is the only adjustment ever made to Leppo's table, believe it or not! :help:

10. audio

Get this level. This is the one I used. It's only $20, which is less than I paid for mine. You can set it right on the protractor and use the laser to line it up PERFECTLY with the pivot point of the tonearm:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000065CE7/002-8477525-2015206?v=glance

11. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Well worth the $20 IMO.

Less record wear, better sound etc.

An audio dealer used one of these on my TT when I purchased my last cartridge, I was too lazy to do it myself.

12. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

That mirrored protractor is pretty good but keep in mind you have to keep going back and forth between the 2 null point reference grids to get proper alignment. I prefer a protractor that inscribes the specific arc your tonearm and cart. follows. Its a lot easier to nail your alignment. "Wally Tools" sells those.
    Personally, I make my own protractor at work on my CAD system to match my Rega tonearm and deck with effective length of 239mm.:)

13. audio

As long as you are able to point the reference line directly at the center point of the tonearm pivot, there is no going back and forth.

14. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

All that does is verify spindle to pivot distance. Perfect cart. alignment is based on the arc or "effective length"(spindle to pivot + overhang)that the the arm/cart. follows. I've used generic protractors in the past, the one's with 2 null points and find them a bit time consuming compared to protractors made for the specific tonearm/cart. combinations, YMMV. :)

15. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Heck, for my V15VMR, Shure had an alignment jig right in the package. The cartridge body snapped into it, and it was easy to use. Given how delicate the cantilever is, there is something to be said for peace of mind. (And checking it with the Soundtractor, it was dead-on accurate too. :thumbsup: )

16. audio

Right. They're time consuming as hell.

17. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I was just about to ask advice about inexpensive tools.
    I'm going to order one. Thanks :D

Anyone have a thought about the 'Stylus Force Gauge $15.00'?
    That seems a little too low priced to be an accurate tool?
    But then again I'm new to vinyl and am with any tools at all. :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.