Inner Groove Distortion

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spitfire, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I agree with that assessment.

In my case, I had a Shure cartridge that has the eliptical stylus which can be "rough in" and still not mistrack and produce excellent sound.
    As I moved to MC line contact stylus, it requires a lot more work to "dial in" in order to play some of the most demanding dynamic passage without mistracking. I got tire of using the DB protractor which took me forever to dial in the "sweet spot", hince the Feickert universal protractor.

http://www.feickert.com/engl/schablone_handling.html

Feickert protractor provides both Baerwald and Loefgren mothod(one method on each side). I use Baerwald mothed. But to be honest, I don't know if one works better than the other on my tonearm/cartridge combo.

2. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

The thing is - that tracking-tangency error isn't really the only component that causes inner goove distortion. One reason, perhaps the biggest, is due to the shorter wavelength/lower velocity of the inner grooves, and the difference in styli shape between cutting and playback. This is where fine line stylus profiles will help minimize these effects.

Heckto35 likes this.
  3. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Right, IGD isn't necessarily caused by a misaligned cartridge. Whatever the strengths of a spherical (or conical) stylus may be, navigating the tight inner grooves is not one of them. Tracing error distortion (not to be confused with mistracking or alignment error distortion) will be much higher with one of those styli, even if it's aligned properly, than with a line-contact stylus.

4. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

"Tracing error distortion" should read "tracing distortion". Darn that quick timeout on the edit feature. ;)

5. carlthewave

carlthewave New Member

I think I will try to rid myself of the Blue Point 2 in favor of a 440mla. The Blue Point has ridiculous inner groove distortion. Takes the fun out of listening....

6. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Is that Blue Point aligned properly? Depending on your rig, I would prefer this over the 440mla any day of the week, IMHO.

7. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Afraid I can't agree with this, not in my experience.
    I think the lower velocity brings surface noise down into the much more obvious (to the human ear) midrange frequencies. Whereas the higher velocity at the outside of the record raises the surface noise into the higher frequency range which the human ear is less sensitive to.

Maybe my theory is wrong, I don't know for sure, but I sure know what I'm hearing.

Cheers
    JJ

8. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

That's right. :agree:

9. carlthewave

carlthewave New Member

It was aligned perfectly. The guy at Needle Doctor even started over and re did the mounting. Again, unbearable inner distortion.

The 440mla's initial sound is pretty bright. The mix of N801s and this cart could be the culprit. Or, it could be that the cart is not yet broken in. I did love the sound of the Blue Point, but it simply didn't work with this tt.

10. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Inner Groove Distortion - Who's fault is it?

To anyone in the know:

I have some LPs that have such a narrow runoff groove (7 or 8 mm sometimes) that I expect there to be distortion toward the inside, but I don't hear any at all. Then I have other LPs that have a normal, 1"+ runoff groove and I hear lots! :wtf:

I have the US release of The Cult - Love on Sire records; IGD central. Bought a Beggar's Banquet UK release (same songs, same running length for both sides) and.. Nada. Not a drop of inner groove distortion. :confused: Why?

Is it the quality of the vinyl? Is it a problem when they made the stampers?

Rentz likes this.
  11. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

the factors here are tonearm/cart setup & whether the record has got any inner groove wear

12. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

It might well be in the quality of the cutting. Also with used records wear can produce distortion that is more obvious in the inner groove.

13. LesPaul666

I second this opinion. :agree:

14. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

I'd agree that the right cartridge can do wonders.

Also, there are things that can be done in record production to minimize this distortion. The below essay helps explain how:

http://www.recordtech.com/prodsounds.htm

15. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

How loud the inner last band on the record is cut has a lot to do with inner groove distortion. The "wavelength" of the modulations on the groove is much shorter in the inner grooves for a given frequency then it is in the outer grooves. So if the inner groove is cut loud (i.e. more amplitude) it is harder to track and can cause more distortion. Some groups make a very poor choice of witch songs to put in the inner grooves. :sigh:

16. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident

I don't know if it is coincidence or not, but I've always had IGD issues with Sire records. I bought Depeche Mode's 101 new and in shrink wrap recently and it had IGD.

17. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

From the above link, Kevin Gray says regarding inner groove distortion:

Some mastering engineers just cut excessive IGD right onto the record! :thumbsdn:

Heckto35 likes this.
  18. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Depends on side duration eq and dynamics.
    Its science....

19. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

If I have an Audio-Technica AT440MLa and I'm still hearing inner groove distortion (not a whole lot, but more than I'd like), does this mean my cart is not set up right?

20. LesPaul666

I think it would depend if the record has any groove damage, and if the arm and cartridge are a good match.

The AT440MLA is a great tracker, with the right arm. There are circumstances where it's not perfect, though.

21. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

Of course.....it ain't ALWAYS cartridge setup or record wear. Kevin G. is right again.

Bill

22. albertoderoma

albertoderoma Well-Known Member

Since moving to micro-line stylii (Clearaudio Maestro and AT440mla), I haven't worried about, or noticed, IGD. By contrast, it was something that really bothered me before and almost turned me off vinyl - especially since a lot of times the most dynamic pieces are toward the end (e.g. a symphony finale).

Alberto

Heckto35 likes this.
  23. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I use an AT440MLa and notice very little IGD. And I play lots of vinyl.
    Great cart, and gets better with use.

Heckto35 likes this.
  24. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

I've noticed great improvements with an AT440MLa.

25. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

I use an eliptical stylus and don't get inner groove distortion or sibilance on any of my records. not one.

Heckto35 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.