Inside Llewyn Davis

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HiFi Guy 008, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I am none of these and loved "A Serious Man." Just such a great period picture and a slow burner.

IronWaffle and Dan C like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You assume those were goofs - I don't. They may have known many of them were not "period correct" but not cared. I believe the Coens worry more about getting the look/feel they want and less about whether they got everything in the right era...

3. Yea, boring, and a selfish character that does, well, really nothing. Best part was the orange cat. Really.

Alan2 likes this.
  4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I hate to break it to you, but the cat was boring and selfish and does nothing too. :)

5. I think that's the point. I wasn't even alive back then, and I knew that US 80 doesn't go through Akron (I don't live anywhere near Akron!), that a mid-70s Checker cab with big bumpers would even be around back then, a current 2014 era train in the background at the station. Just sloppy, but they probably don't care. Just trying to make the movie look like the cover of the Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.

I have gone back to read comments on this film. Interested how polarized people are about this. I watch a lot of films, including indie films, and this one was just irritatingly boring to me. Doesn't mean I'm right/wrong, but interesting to see many who really like it a lot!

6. Oatsdad

I can't say I loved it, but I liked it more than I expected. As I think I mentioned earlier, I'm not a big fan of the Coens, but I do seem to prefer their dramas to their comedies.

I guess I found the lead to be interesting. Doesn't seem like much happens in the movie, but it remains oddly involving to me...

7. Exactly not a lot happens but for me was captivating. I've know a number if extremely talent artists who just can't keep it together and or get a break. The film was perfect for my tastes. Saw it twice and looking forward to the home release. Most of their films get to me more with each viewing.

8. Oatsdad

Just an FYI if you don't know: it came out on home video last week...

9. Thanks I was out of town you just cost me $$

10. Oatsdad

Bill me! :D

Mazzy likes this.
  11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That blows my mind... wasn't it still in theaters only a month or two ago?

12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

They shoulda released this last May when it was all the buzz at Cannes....

13. Oatsdad

Yup, though it debuted in a limited run in early December. It went "wide" in late January, but since "wide" meant fewer than 300 screens, it remained a niche film.

Because of that, its speed to video seems less surprising. It's an early December release that just seems like a late January one! :)

14. My favorite fugliest film of the year.

image.jpg

wolfram likes this.
  15. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I-80 doesn't go directly through Akron, but if you wanted to get to Akron from the east, I-80 would be a good bet! It goes to the north of the city but you see signs for Akron all over the place.

16. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Are you suggesting that people are not allowed to criticize art unless they have made something equivalent? That's absolutely ludicrous. The Internet simply allows people across geographical divides to delve into art better than ever before - I don't see how that is a bad thing.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  17. I-80 isn't far from Akron, but US 80 is not anywhere near it runs across the Southern US East-west and they were driving on a two-lane road. The Interstate Highway system was just starting back then.

18. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Ah... I stand corrected. :)

19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think you have to consider that films like this don't necessarily have the budget to get every detail exactly right, especially in exterior scenes in the middle of a city. Most people watching the film are not scrutinizing every train or building in the background, nor can they 50 years later tell exactly what a 1962 cab would have looked like. As long as the overall look of the film is not obviously contemporary, that sometimes has to be good enough.

IronWaffle likes this.
  20. Ive lived in the SF Bay Area all my life and both Bullit and the Graduate have major driving errors but those artistic logistic mistakes never made me enjoy the films any less.

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Ha, you mean like when Dustin Hoffman is driving on the upper deck of the Bay Bridge, supposedly towards Berkeley?? :laugh:

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I agree

I think it's a great film - he's a jerk because he is talented and authentic but dismayed and fed up by the inauthentic music scene that surrounds him. Plus there is his singing partner's suicide that haunts his reactions and outlook. As when going to Chicago (mocked all the way) auditioning a very straight forward, old and dark folk song and told "I don't see how I can make money with that". Followed with the suggestion that he should team back up with his old partner.
    The near recognition at the end when he is hearing Dylan for the first time and obviously senses something different - followed by the pounding he gets (when we only then realize the rest of the movie was essentially a flashback) because he didn't recognize and mocked an actual authentic folk singer the night before.

23. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

That's what makes cats what they are. :) Actually, it was several cats used to make the film. They're hard to get to behave on set.

24. Got the blu ray and the third viewing of the film after twice in theaters makes me line it even more

25. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

There are 7 billion people on the planet. 50 of them comment on goofs in a film. Yawn.
    Some people sniff drainpipes. Some have fantastic collections of stamps.
    Most "social gatherings" are filled with freaks. You are just seeing the masks.

I am not a bee but I can criticize honey.

brew ziggins likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.