Integrated Amplifier to Get Someone Started

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nathan Z, Sep 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm young, as are most of my friends. Lots of them didn't believe records could sound good until I brought them over and played a few. Now some of them have asked for recommendations on gear, and I don't have all the answers.

For a turntable, I told them to buy the U-Turn Orbit with a cue lever and the Ortofon OM 5E. I also recommended the Elac Debut B5.2s, which aren't too expensive but sound awesome. I don't know what to say about an integrated amplifier, though, which is a problem since those Elacs are passive.

What is the bare minimum for an integrated amplifier? It would be nice to have a phono stage built in, but it's not necessary. I'm making recommendations for a 17 year-old here, so I really do mean cheap.

danielbravo likes this.
  2. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Probably Yamaha, like the As301 or 501. Or their 2 channel receivers too. Not cheap, in terms of quality and reliability but not inexpensive either I realize. Doesn’t make sense to buy junk that is cheaper to save a few bucks now, only to regret it soon after.

3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

A lot of dealers will offer basic “matched” systems with as much synergy as possible. It may cost a few bucks more but good dealers will stand behind the products and want to satisfy what could potentially be a very mutually beneficial long term relationship.

For a novice I believe that to be the best route. This should apply on line also if no local dealers are around. We’re lucky up here because of the number of really good dealers.

4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah. Mmm I'm not sure about new pricing. My go-to entry recommendation is a not-ancient used Denon/Marantz/Yamaha/Onkyo AVR from Craigslist etc, and spend more on the speakers which make the most difference by far to the sound. If something is new enough to have room correction like Audyssey, that can flatten out the bass noticeably. Wait, you say, I only need two channels...eh, it's mostly the AVRs that are inexpensive, and it's fine to run them in stereo.

If buying new then
    - Built in streaming like AirPlay and/or Spotify!
    - Bass management! In case they ever ever someday want to add a subwoofer. You have to really ask if there is a HIGHPASS filter inside; most 2-channel units don't and then you can't properly integrate the subwoofer. And just because there is a "subwoofer" output jack means nothing :shake:

5. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

+1 for Yamaha.

danielbravo, George P and bluemooze like this.
  6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Can’t go wrong with the Yamaha. I have the 501 but the 301 is probably good too if money is tight.

danielbravo, WvL and bluemooze like this.
  7. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

the Yamaha 501 was my first integrated upgrade. It's a great amp for the price!

George P and bluemooze like this.
  8. Nubs

Nubs Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Yamaha 501. I’m currently running it in my rig and couldn’t be happier.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. gestalt

gestalt Forum Resident

It's a lot easier to get good sound from a set of headphones in the budget range a typical 17 year old can swing (at least the budget I had when I was 17). Pretty tough with 2 channel, and vinyl is adding the expense of acquiring media compared to, say, a Spotify subscription they can mooch from someone's family account.

It's really cool you're into it though and I hope you and your friends have a great experience. The real music is in those grooves.

WvL and jesterthejedi like this.
  10. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Denon PMA 600NE

11. Nathan Z

I lucked out. My parents are supportive and already had a system I could work with. My friends don't have that luxury, so they have to buy everything separately.

gestalt likes this.
  12. P.L.

P.L. Forum Resident

Rega io or Brio

13. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I would just go to a dealer tell them what your trying to achieve and what your budget is.

Fender Relic likes this.
  14. parman

parman Music Junkie

if you want real cheap it will have to be used. FB Marketplace, Craigs List

15. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Marantz PM5005 or Yamaha AS-301. Either one is fine. I prefer Marantz and own three Marantz integrateds but my main system is powered by a 1994/5 Yamaha RX-V990 which is stupidly good.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

In addition to the above mentioned suggestions for the Yamaha 501, consider this Iotavx piece as well

IOTAVX SA3

17. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I gave a project debut 3 and a basic marantz (from ebay, not much money) to a nephew when he started college. He still has it. I gave him speakers too, can't remember what they were, but they sounded killer. The receiver had a phono section, I gave him an outboard phono stage at one point for fun.

I always tell people that having ANY stereo at all is so much better than having none that they should pick a budget that they can live with, easily, and start there. It is all amazing.

MarkO likes this.
  18. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Regarded by many, for years as one of the best integrated amps ever made, and especially if you have a vinyl fetish, you should look into the legendary Yamaha A-1 from the late 70s early 80s.
    Yamaha A-1 on thevintageknob.org

19. StratDoc

StratDoc Sapien

Agree on the Yamaha 501. I have that for an outdoor system and a 701 that is boxed up in the closet. Cannot go wrong.

George P and bluemooze like this.
  20. AL01

AL01 Eh?

I'd say go used as I have been in your situation not too long ago.

Whatever you do, try to go with a reputable seller to mitigate potential headaches, as some sellers/flippers don't mind selling you a partially broken piece of equipment.

And patience... Oh boy oh boy did I wait to get my Sansui. I waited four ^%#$&'in months to find the right one!

21. SBaradaran

SBaradaran Forum Resident

Bluesound Power Node. Get the amp, streamer, dac all in one.

Plenty of power and darn good sounding dac/streamer.

22. Nathan Z

That looks like an excellent piece. Unfortunately it's out of my friend's budget though!

23. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Yamaha RN803, if you want streaming and digital inputs, or the Yamaha AS801. Both are best with an external phono stage. These are great entry level amps. They sound good for the price.

I still keep the RN803 for TV duties and streaming background music in the living room.

24. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Yes. I totally agree on the Yamaha 501. 85w, very good built in phono stage, very good DAC, and on. Obviously I have a connection with Yamaha, as I bought the 501 about a yr ago and have not had a reason to look back.

I had viewed several amp in that same price range and the Yamaha was just a bit better. And I know it made a big impact on the music with better separation and soundstage, etc. The various instruments were presented as part of the music yet one was easily able to distinguish individual instruments. There was an almost 3D effect.

Finally, it’s a real nice liking product. Highly recommend.

danielbravo and captwillard like this.
  25. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Big Yamaha fan here as well.

danielbravo and WvL like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.