Integrated amps with tilted-up treble?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by everton, Jan 26, 2023.

1. everton

everton Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am looking for an integrated amp in the US$1,000 range to use in my den office. I did a search on the web, and came across the Audiolab 6000A, which has been widely praised. In one of the reviews, the reviewer said that unlike most of its competitors, its treble is not tilted up.

Now, who are these competitors? I like bright sound, and most of the amps that I came across (in the past, not recently) did the opposite. They rolled off the treble, or at least not enough treble for me (e.g., NAD, Arcam, Marantz, Denon). I like old Yamaha, but it seems (from reading reviews) that they now also lean towards the warm side.

So, if anyone knows of a bright amp, can you share it with me? If you have experience with the 6000A, I would appreciate hearing it as well. Thanks.

2. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Are you against tone controls? All Yamaha integrateds have them as far as I know.

3. everton

Thanks for your reply. No. Not at all. The main reason why I was looking at the Audiolab is its smaller form factor. I looked at the Yamaha A-S801, but it is a bit too big for my space.

DyersEve726 likes this.
  4. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

What speakers is this amp for? The LS50? I suspect the difference between a bright speaker and a warm speaker is greater than between a bright amp and a warm amp.

5. everton

Thanks for your reply, No, the LS50 is also too big (aesthetically) for my den office. I am about to buy a pair of pre-owned B&W 707 S2. I would like to get an amp for that. Thanks.

P.S. I agree that the differences are greater for speakers than for amps.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  6. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Parasound NewClassic 200 integrated. Got tone controls. It’s slim.

7. harby

harby Forum Resident

It also can be just that a reviewer has to make up stuff to put in a review. Doesn't have an A/B input and speaker switch to immediately compare to a reference amp. Is using a turntable, which has random interactions with phono stage loads. Doesn't give bad reviews to free equipment..

This amp: 20Hz-20kHz (+/-0.1dB), you're looking for a worse one?

8. everton

Thanks. I will check it out.

9. everton

Thanks for your reply. If it is true to the spec, it is good. I mentioned "tilted-up" in the thread title because I had never found it to be the case.