Interest in U2 songs tourney? (similar to the current Beatles one)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimjim, Sep 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident Thread Starter

*bump*

24hrs to go for the current set of ties...get voting!

2. jimjim

Winners for this set:

Window In The Skies (v Angels Too Tied To The Ground 16-3)
    Discotheque (v I Believe In Father Christmas 23-6)
    Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home) (v Neon Lights 18-5)
    With Or Without You (v Where Did It All Go Wrong? 25-3)
    Endless Deep (v Vertigo [Temple Bar Mix] 18-3)

Analysis

Mostly no surprises here. I kinda like 'Angels' so was quite surprised how poor the result was in its favour. Slightly shocked that 'Endless Deep' made it through as I think it's one of U2's worst B-sides (especially with Adam's ...err...'interesting' vocal). I love that silly, off the cuff version of 'Vertigo' and I thought its charm might see it though past its older sibling. Oh well...

Next set of matches coming right up!

musicnonstop likes this.
  3. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Damn. How did I miss all this already?

4. jimjim

5. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

What determines these preliminary matches, BTW? This as there are already some heavyweights featured. And now two are even up against each other (Stay and Please). With either one not participating in the tournament proper it will devalue that tournament. So why put these two up against each other?

6. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

So basically you're going to flood the forum with the very maximum amount of polls by pitching one U2 song against another one and covering all of their discography and then run those hundreds of first rounds of results against eachother ad infinitum.
    What if someone decides to do this with Prince's catalogue and the Rolling Stones simultaneously with fifty polls a day ?
    A stupid idea.

7. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Have you also put these comments in The Beatles tournament that is currently going on (apart from some individual album polls that are also being posted)?

musicnonstop likes this.
  8. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

I have put all Beatles threads on ignore, so don't even see them, but in general I think this kind of polling is like abusing the forum, except maybe if the artist in question only made one album.

9. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

That certainly makes it a lot easier to keep up with the forum! :D :righton:
    (But yes, at times this forum moves away pretty far from music (and sound) quality discussion. Though for this particular topic I don't mind.)

10. musicnonstop

musicnonstop Kling Klang Kwatsch Kommentator

Besides putting threads on ignore you can even ignore users, to make life even easier :righton:

11. jimjim

*bump*

24hrs to go! Keep on voting.

12. jimjim

Winners for this set:

So Cruel (v Happiness Is A Warm Gun 30-0 :eek:)
    The First Time (v Room at The Heartbreak Hotel 18-7)
    I Fall Down (v Beach Sequence 20-6)
    Stay (v Please 25-8)
    Luminous Times (v Peace On Earth 11-8)

Analysis:

The randomness of the draw sadly means that great big songs do clash like the 'Please' & 'Stay' tie. Sad to see the latter has gone so early but I can see why many of you love that song too (I do as well - especially the soundtrack version). Also disappointed that 'Hotel' went too - another one of my favourite B-sides of theirs. Again, I thought being against an OK album track might help this lesser-known track sneak through. On the other hand it was a nice surprise to see the opposite happen for the glorious 'Luminous Times'. Next set of ties coming.

BTW, some have asked why some big songs are appearing so early on in this competition. The draw for this round is completely random and there's literally no mercy. Otherwise I'd have to pick & choose what should be in the preliminary pool and rather that argue subjectively with you all as to what are the weakest songs, I thought a random draw from the whole pool would be a) fun and b) save time on making those subjective decisions. Hope that explains it.

musicnonstop likes this.
  13. musicnonstop

Ouch! Will 'Please' return in different forms, please?

14. jimjim

15. jimjim

*bump*

24hrs to go until end of voting...get cracking! Very, very close in a lot of these ties!

16. jimjim

Winners for ties 21-25 are:

Disappearing Act (v Another Day 12-10)
    New York (v Race Against Time 14-12)
    Angel of Harlem (v California [Acoustic] 21-3)
    Slow Dancing (v The Playboy Mansion 16-8)
    Another Time, Another Place (v All Because of You 14-10)

Analysis:

Well, some really close ties here. For three of the matches here, the leads changed hands several times over the last 3 days. Good to see 'Playboy' gone early on as it's one of my least favourite U2 tracks and is a sore boil on the otherwise sublime Pop. Pretty happy it got paired against one of my favourite U2 B-sides 'Slow Dancing' (the original version, that is).

I'm going to pause on the next five and rather than do them now, I'll set them up tomorrow morning our time. Hope that's OK.

17. jimjim

18. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

For what it is worth, I'm only participating when I know the songs in question. I've seen U2 a half dozen times and I'm a fan, but some of these mixes are unknown to me. I keep waiting for this tourney to kick into high gear where I can participate in each round. That's hasn't happened for me yet.

dockofthebay likes this.
  19. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

Yeah, it might have been better pitching groups of songs (e.g. 6/8) against each other and taking the top 3/4 on to the next round.

The 1v1 is going to take forever, and I either don't care enough about either song to vote, or some big hitters are getting eliminated too early as they're up against another biggie.

Didn't the Beatles tourney take a similar approach until the final few rounds which were 1v1?

Don't mean to be critical, but it's a fun idea, just could be better executed.

20. jimjim

Results for ties 26-30:

Electrical Storm (v... Ronnie Drew 25-3)
    Fire v A Celebration - TIE (14-14)*
    Seconds (v The Refugee 32-9)
    Hold Me, Thrill Me... (v Invisible 33-11)
    One Step Closer (v When I Look At The World 12-9)

*As it seems I can't edit the poll to run a further 24hrs to break these ties, I'm now going to change the rules by removing this step altogether (sorry). So, that means it's my casting vote to break tie #27. Luckily, in this instance it's an easy choice: 'Fire' for me is one of U2's weakest singles and I do like the proto-War energy of 'A Celebration', so the one off single just shades it. Sad to see 'Invisible' go...great song.

More ties coming very soon...

21. musicnonstop

I would expect in case of a tie, when songs are equally appreciated, that both songs would go to the next round...

FWIW; learned recently that for the Weakest Link game in case of a tie the vote of the OP gets recalled.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    ARK likes this.
  22. jimjim

Well, I don't vote in any of the ties...it's all up to you people!

ARK and musicnonstop like this.
  23. jimjim

24. jimjim

Results for 31-35:

A Day Without Me (v Walk To The Water 26-18)
    Springhill Mining Disaster (live) (v Viva Davidoff 21-0)
    Acrobat (v The Fly [Baby] 26-7)
    One (v Love Is Bigger... 38-3)
    Don't Take Your Guns... (v Crumbs [Acoustic] 10-8)

Analysis:

No real surprises here although I was disappointed to see WTWW go out. Most of the JT B-sides are strong tracks in their own right and WTTW is one of the strongest. Nice to see so many liked SMD that they ordered the CD!

Next set of ties coming up!

25. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

I'm also disappointed a bit that Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way is already out. It is a great song. But yeah, it was up again One. This matchup came too soon for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.