Interesting All-in-One Ultrasonic Cleaner - HumminGuru

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Spivey, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Perhaps - the % is 48-55. The VPI definitely leaves static charge even with that humidity. I’m using .5 drops of Dehypon-50 so there should be minimal residue but there might be some.

LGJ likes this.
  2. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

Cannot comment on the Degritter results but did do this test on static creation. Took a quality RCA album I purchased over 50 years ago and have listening to and maintained carefully. Know each and every small click and pop on this record and am very famil1ar with the sound of the ensemble and soloists from live performances and other recordings. Cleaned it with the HumminGuru and listened to a full side. There were new clicks and pops and my guess is that these are static related and from the drying process. At the same time, the oboe soloist's instrument was significantly more clear and realistic (an early Holliger recording). This additional timbral detail was marked when you knew the record well. Have now put the album into its regular folder with an anti-static sheet and will see if this brings it back to the earlier state -- and whether the increased timbral accuracy remains.
    Spent a good amount of time cleaning 25 marginal records this afternoon with a simple question -- is, afterwards, the record listenable throughout the entire side? In all but one cases it was. This has increased my appreciation of the HumminGuru. For my specific needs, this level of performance will suffice. Record cleaning and me are not friends and I value the ability of a simple one-step process as much as the end result.
    AND, BTW, am using this simple technique. Pour 350mL of distilled water into a measuring cup, heat it 25 seconds in the microwave to 95 degrees or so, then pour that directly into the Guru. While there is an additional filter in the Guru water container, am willing to forego that for the ease this offers. Then you simply empty out the Guru's container after each record and repeat the process. Works for me. It also raises the possibility of simply spraying a mixture of surfactant into the measuring cup before heating and making the cleaning stage easier. Will try that tomorrow.
    AND, BTW(2), distilled water is becoming scarce here in Phoenix. Had to go to 4 stores before I found one that had some. Wonder if this is just here or is becoming common elsewhere -- Covid related?

3. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Same here regarding distilled water. I gave up and finally started washing with regular water. Yes, I suppose Covid related. That and toilet paper.

4. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Folks, ultrasonic cleaning won't change the fundamental sound of a recording. It won't lead to greater timbral accuracy, higher highs, deeper lows, etc. It will remove practically all dirt, particles, etc. It will leave the record totally clean. Any remaining noise is either embedded in the disc material itself, or the result of environmental factors. The sound of the recording remains unchanged however.

Ultrasonic cleaning is great for restoring a disc to good health, let's not bestow a load of additional magical properties upon it.

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Amen

6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

mine is stuck in alaska presumably customs....
    if static is an issue i will rack dry or shorten the dry cycle

7. AudioAddict

Did not say that cleaning changed the fundamental sound of the recording. Said that the timbral accuracy contained in the original recording was restored and, therefore, the sound of the instruments was closer to that found in the original pressing. This is what the Guru is doing.

8. AudioAddict

Avanti states:
    Order a bunch from China and many of the packages go through Alaska. Once they clear, they are typically in your hands in 2-3 days. Hang in there. The Guru is worth the wait.

9. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Mine was on hold for about 12 hours over the weekend and is out for delivery

10. Music4doc

Music4doc Well-Known Member

Just received mine today. I have a few questions for those with a little more experience.
    How often are you changing the water?
    Are you cleaning the machine and filters after every use?
    What type of cloth are your wrapping around the “tool” to clean the basin?

Heckto35 and missan like this.
  11. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I've noticed this, too, in particular with piano as the individual strings and their resonances are more apparent. This is evidence that the harmonics are being reproduced more faithfully as the UCM removes an obscuring layer of grunge. The extreme highs are better reproduced as well, revealing spacial clues that are otherwise less obvious. This also leads to improved instrument definition which includes the bass.

Disclosure: I don't have the HG so my comments above are reflective of my experience with ultrasonic cleaning in general. Individual results will vary.

brockgaw and Heckto35 like this.
  12. AudioAddict

As per the manual, I have been changing the water for each record. Tried running 3 through on the same water, no heating, and then placing them in a rack for self-drying. Worked OK. With the current shortage of distilled water for sale, would be good to experiment with multiple runs. This is a central question for the Guru and think that others could report their experiences here. Ran 30 through yesterday with heated distilled water change for each and they sounded good afterwards.

Heckto35 and LGJ like this.
  13. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

if that was the case of one record then change the water then why would they have a filter in the tank, it doesn't make sense, you would be putting "pure" water straight in the machine to clean then straight down the waste when would it pass the filter

unityofsaints and Heckto35 like this.
  14. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

FWIW - if all that you are cleaning are record with dust/particles, etc., here is a cheap/easy way to filter the water - Melitta 640616 Coffee Maker, 52 oz, Glass Carafe, $15 from Amazon.com: Melitta: Pour-Over Coffeemakers. Coffee filters generally filter at about 10-15 microns. Edit - use a fresh filter each day or after 3 record whichever comes first. The 52 oz = ~1500 ml = 3 records using 400 ml/record cleaning.

It's not perfect, but in comparison, the best foam type filter material is 50-micron - such as Amazon.com : Polishing Filter Pad 50 Micron - Superior Polishing Pad for Aquarium - Cut to Fit 24" by 36" Media for Fresh Water & Saltwater Fish Tanks and Terrariums - Made in USA (1 Pack 50 Micron) : Pet Supplies and most have micron ratings much larger.

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  15. AudioAddict

Thanks, pacvr. Given the cost and added effort, am finding that new distilled water for each record is easy and inexpensive. A gallon of distilled water is about $.80 and can do 11 records. Has the ease of allowing you to measure and heat using a safe microwave cup (wonder if the Guru tank is OK in the microwave). Am not fond of the idea of removing sediment from one record then pouring it back in for the next -- regardless of whether there are filter(s) involved. At $.07 a record, can pay for the ease and potential benefit.
    And it was a good day for distilled water! Found 4 gallons at a local shop, the "good stuff." A labeled product called "Parent's Choice." 44 more records are now cleanable (LOL).
    Can you suggest how much Tergitol in a 350 mL tank would be ideal for a cleaning step to presage the regular distilled cleaning? Tried just one small drop but that was too much -- there was substantial foaming and it took two runs to wear off. Would like the formula for a gallon of ideal Tergitol mix that can then be poured into a 350mL cup, heated (if that is OK) then used for the first step. Your thoughts and expertise are always appreciated.

LGJ likes this.
  16. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

The OEM has expressly stated to use DIW only. As I have previously stated, because of liability, I cannot directly recommend anything that contradicts the OEM. However, if ~15 drops = 1-ml, then (1 drop)/(15-drops/ml) = 0.067 ml/350 ml = (0.000191)(100%) = 0.0191% = 191 ppm. If you read this post - Interesting All-in-One Ultrasonic Cleaner - HumminGuru , you may find info of interest.

LGJ likes this.
  17. LGJ

LGJ Maybe Tomorrow, Maybe Tonight

So far I haven't found some sort of general rule as to how many runs one tank of DIW could clean, or rather, when the efficiency drops off. Sometimes I'm really stunned by the result, but then on other records I don't think I hear much difference or even have the idea the record has gotten worse (e.g. more crackle). At this point I change water after an accumulated 15-20 minutes of US cleaning. Not sure if 2 times 5 minutes cleaning (w/o drying) and turning the record after the first 5 minute run gives better results than just one run of 5 minutes, but I'm inclined to think so.

I have also cleaned a bunch of 7-inch records (mostly with satisfying results), but what worries me a bit is that this adapter ring in which you put the 7-inch records is starting to develop some blisters on the back side. Anyone else seen this?

18. AudioAddict

LGJ: Agree with your assessment and believe the added crackle is the result of the drying process. Have put a record stand behind the Guru and, after cleaning, prop the records up for 30 minutes or so. This has reduced the added pops significantly. This technique, along with new distilled water for each record, has produced effective cleaning that has taken my "marginal" pile of classical recordings and made them mostly listenable. Am tossing about 1 in 20.
    pacvr: Your link is very helpful and suggests ~3800 mL. If I understand the post correctly, will try 0.3mL of Tergitol to a gallon as measured in a medical syringe and hope that is a good starting point. Am going to try this with several well-known records today to see if there is any change. Thanks as always.

LGJ likes this.
  19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

out for delivery.....

ellingtonic, Joe Spivey and LGJ like this.
  20. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are you saying drying is adding static leading to crackling? Given the dry, low humidity in my house, I'm surprised I still haven't had any issue with static build up from HG. The opposite... static has been eliminated from all records cleaned.

Speaking of 45s. I have a terribly noisy single of Lou Reed's 'Walk on the Wide Side" that was found in a bin-find somewhere inside another album I bought. It had a little note on it addressed to the recipient to "take a listen to this side". I always like the charm of finding this but it's was in terrible listening condition. I attempted cleaning probably once and stashed away. I got it out the other day and ran it through the HG. I was surprised the difference the HG cleaning made. Totally listenable.

As for the "blisters". The adapters have plastic film you should remove.

LGJ and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  21. LGJ

LGJ Maybe Tomorrow, Maybe Tonight

:doh:

Thanks! Blisters all gone! Silly this was not in the manual but I am happy that the problem was fixed so easy. Wonder if it had any effect on the results.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  22. AudioAddict

Just for your information...
    Tried the Tergitol mix at the ~3800mL blend suggested by pacvr and the mix was good -- very little foam and it was gone by the cleaning/rinse, second stage. Used the Tergitol then Distilled Cleaning combo for 4 records I was familiar with from prior play -- 3 of which needed cleaning. The results were poor. With the Tergitol step, there was additional floor noise. Music was, however, nicely improved -- very crisp and detailed. Since I am getting the latter with just heated distilled water, am going to follow HG's recommendation and not use the Tergitol.
    SO my final and ongoing technique will be 1) to carefully empty the Guru tank and reinsert (don't forget this if you are filling with another cup!), 2) heat 350mL of distilled water in measuring cup for 30 seconds in the microwave, 3) pour this directly into the Guru record slot, 4) insert the record, 4) hit the auto button twice then the middle start button, 5) after 10 minutes, pull the record out and store it in a vinyl rack behind the Guru for 30 minutes or so, 5) empty the Guru tank (well, go back to #1...)
    It's easy, the noise is unpleasant, and it becomes second nature after a couple of runs. Find the machine is worth the modest cost and think it will satisfy many of us that mostly want to remove the record cleaning onus from our schedule.
    This Steve Hoffman thread has done all of us favors in tracking the development of this cleaner/company and it is an advertisement for both the site and the way in which the Internet can make product realization known and, then, the performance assessed. Kudos to Mr. Spivey!

23. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Glad you are enjoying the HG and appreciate everyone sharing their experiences, good or bad and anything in between as well.

Andrea_Bellucci and LGJ like this.
  24. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I've had mine for a few days and have run a combination of new records and records that needed a second cleaning or wood glue through it with room temperature distilled water. I've had pretty good results so far but my expectations were moderate - there is only so much that cleaning can do. The records I was planning to wood glue have all improved and most of the remaining surface noise is due to physical issues with the record like scratches or groove damage.

I'll probably run most new records through the HumminGuru and save my VPI for used records followed by a trip through the HG.

I'm pretty happy so far!

audiolab1 likes this.
  25. Brandon Whiteman

Brandon Whiteman Active Member

UGH...All this math is giving me a headache! Without having to by more stuff or get a degree in chemistry, can someone recommend how many drops of Tergikleen to 1 gallon of distilled water would be effective but not overkill and needing extra washes? I understand that you are not recommending I put any thing in my Humminguru that may void the warranty. I bought this thing to make my life simpler but I realize just straight water might not be enough on stubborn records.

Thanks in advance and Cheers!