Interesting All-in-One Ultrasonic Cleaner - HumminGuru

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Spivey, Dec 4, 2020.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yes, and that's only applicable for the machine, itself, or a unit/7"adapter bundle. Any other accessories incurs the standard rate.

2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

totally fine with me,:what accessories would I need right away? Bundle comes with adapters and the extra replacement items, should be set for awhile

3. AnalogJ

Well, reading here, many have suggested that having an extra water tank is worthwhile. It'd allow you to use the water with the surfactant for more than one record, and use the other tank with only distilled water for rinsing.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  4. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

For those who are doing a pure water rinse cycle after a tergitol clean; are you using a fresh tank of water for each rinse cycle?

5. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I only use water. I do like HumminGuru suggested in an early email I sent to them: I reuse water multiple times in a session for new LPs. They said change the water each time for dirty LPs, but, I change the water for each used LP.

Ripblade and theclipper like this.
  6. al2813

al2813 Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the HG with the isonic cleaner I have. The isonic is good but not stellar and am considering looking at a replacement

7. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

I only use water and dump it every time.

theclipper likes this.
  8. fish

fish Senior Member

I pour it back into a bottle for a few rinses and then dump. Having a second tank would be nice but bottles work fine.

The tergitol clean i use is very dissolved and I use it over a few times before I dump it, on clean or new records. I found a very diluted tergitol is all you need and better then just water.
    With dirty records I clean then in a spin machine by hand and they only go in the HG for a final clean and rinse.

theclipper likes this.
  9. LP426

LP426 Member

Thanks for the replies. In the end I decided to go with a new stylus and a spin clean. I upgraded to the Ortofon Blue, which does feel like a nice upgrade with more detail. Having never really cleaned my vinyl at all, I’ve been pretty pleased with the spin clean. It completely rehabbed some of my dirtier LPs, including the ones that were bad enough I was considering the Humminguru.

Funnily enough, I have been eying the Rega P3 for a while. I think that’ll be the next piece I upgrade, but my partner would probably kill me if I did that before we move houses.

Definitely still interested in Humminguru, but might honestly come after I upgrade most of my components. I’ve had this setup around eight years and love it but at some point I’ll probably need to upgrade the big components. I’m also keeping an eye on those new KLH model 5s.

AnalogJ likes this.
  10. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I had an LP that wouldn't spin and thought my rollers weren't working.

I popped each out to replace them. I was struck by how thoughtful the design of this machine is. These come in and out with ease. The design of the multipurpose tool and how it is used roller 2 is excellent. Roller 1 doesn't even need a tool.

Anyway, the rollers weren't the issue. I tried another LP and realized the dimension of that specific LP was the problem. It's not exactly as wide as most standard LPs. I found a suggestion to add two sided tape to the back of roller 1 to put it farther into the tank for undersized LPs. I couldn't find my roll of two sided tape, so, I just grabbed some masking tape and doubled it a few times, taped it to the back of roller 1, snapped it back in place and it worked like a charm.

Caveats: I might have rollers 1 and 2 reversed in my example here. In my mind, roller 1 is the one held in by magnets and can be popped in and out by hand and roller two needs the tool to be removed. Roller 2 is connected to the machine and is active. Roller 1 is just a passive guide roller.

I think this might have been discussed somewhere in this thread, but, I wasn't about to go searching for it. I figured that this is either new useful information or a nice reminder.

AaronW and Fractured like this.
  11. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

When I bought my HG, I did buy all the accessories including an extra water tank. They stick them all in the same box with the HG. The extra weight cannot be that much, since they are all small and plastic.

12. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I was dumping the water out every time until distilled water was hard to come by. Now I clean about 6 LPs between changing the water and have not noticed any difference. I run the water through a mesh strainer before putting it in the basin too before cleaning the next record.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  13. AnalogJ

No, but they say that the ship by boat option is only available for the bundle or the machine itself.

14. JerryLived

JerryLived Forum Resident

Is there any advantage to ordering from HK versus Turntable Lab? I am in the US. Seems slightly safer to order from US vendor but maybe I am missing something.

15. AnalogJ

Well, it's less expensive overall to order from the Turntable Lab, but they only offer the basic unit and the 7" bundle. They said they'd be getting some of the accessories on their next shipment.

Neither offers a return if you're not happy with it, so your's either way.

16. JerryLived

Thanks very much.

AnalogJ likes this.
  17. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

Ordering straight from HG is now cheaper by quite a bit with the new shipping option.

JerryLived likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

At Turntable Lab: $489 w/7" adapter, free shipping.

Humminguru direct for same: $462 including $40 shipping via boat. So yes, it's now a bit less.

19. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

I am on the east coast and shipping for me is only $25. For just the ultrasonic unit it is at least $50 cheaper unless TTL charges tax which would make it an even larger gap. For example the unit with adapter from HG is $452 for me.

Not sure why the shipping is higher to your location.

20. AnalogJ

I'm in Salem MA. So far, that's on the east coast.

I didn't actually purchase one. I just used a currency converter for the total in the cart including shipping.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  21. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Hemmed and hawed long enough, just ordered it, no extras. @JerryLived I was initially concerned about ordering from overseas, but my wife ordered some purse from china that got here in a week, and I haven't seen any complaints about shipping or packaging to give me concern, and it sounds like if there's an issue they work with you.

I think the convenience factor of it doing the work was as big a selling point as the ultra sonic.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    AaronW, AnalogJ and this_machine like this.
  22. JerryLived

Thanks. That puts me at ease.

AnalogJ likes this.
  23. guidedbyvoices

FYI my order is shipping via fed ex from California, due here in a week. It’s not taking the slow boat from hong kong

24. MHLumber

MHLumber Forum Resident

Well I had to try one of these for myself. Worth a shot imo. Now the waiting game begins.

25. guidedbyvoices

Ordered on 10/15 a Saturday and landed just now. 6 business days is pretty great. It did come from Hong Kong, the fed ex alert that the label was prepared in CA threw me off. But it came in great shape. Hoping to give it a trial run in the next few days.

AnalogJ likes this.