Interesting, good, or beautiful pictures from rock history

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hiraeth, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident Thread Starter

Indeed! I'm bad at puns however!

2. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse ...only visiting this planet...

Yellow butter custard?

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Forum Resident

Maybe the Canadians had them licked?

Fullbug, Tim S and Hiraeth like this.
  4. Hiraeth

Yes, the story was that she was a hooker who ran off with his clothes and his money while he was in loo, and he barged half naked into the office of the hotel manager looking for her. The hotel manager freaked out and shot him.

But there do seem to have been a lot of conspiracy theories about his death--Allen Klein, FBI, the Mob etc. Netflix is kind of juicing them in the trailer of the recent Cooke doc they did, but I haven't seen that film yet. I do recall there was a sense that the official inquiry was very rushed--they arrived at the "justifiable homicide" verdict really quickly and the case was closed.

All Down The Line likes this.
  5. Hiraeth

Yes!

and:

It's Getting Butter all the time, Eat The Beatles, and Things We Spread Today--although that one could be taken the wrong way these days....

Of course, there's a butter dish for when the boys are carved up:

[​IMG]

oboogie, Tim S and All Down The Line like this.
  6. All Down The Line

I think Klein was heavily involved in the case and threw money into it?
    There is a huge tomb of a Sam Cooke book around and it goes into some detail of it.

7. All Down The Line

Taken the wrong way?
    Or....taken in two directions at once?

Hiraeth likes this.
  8. Hiraeth

Three Beatles watching Bob Dylan perform at the Isle of Wight festival, August 31, 1969. Paul was a no sh0w as Linda had given birth to their daughter Mary on the 28th. Tom Paxton and Jack Bruce (I think) in there.

[​IMG]

9. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

:laugh:

Hiraeth likes this.
  10. Hiraeth

Yes I don't actually know about that part. I know there was that monkey business with Klein tricking Sam over the whole Tracey Records thing. Sam apparently had just found out that the imprint was owned by Klein and not Sam, and was planning on firing Klein when he was killed. I'm pretty sure that book Peter Guralnick book Dream Boogie refutes all the conspiracy theories though, and pretty much says it happened the way it happened with the hooker.

Interview with Peter Guralnick on NPR:

"...I would say within the community there is not a single person that believes that Sam Cooke died as he is said to have died: killed by a motel owner at a cheap motel in Los Angeles called the Hacienda which he had gone to with a prostitute named Elisa Boyer. I could have filled a hundred pages of the book with an appendix on all the theories about his death. Central tenet of every one of those theories is that this was a case of another proud black man brought down by the white establishment who simply didn't want to see him grow any bigger. I looked into this very carefully. I had access to the private investigators' report, which nobody had seen and which filled in a good many more details. And no evidence has ever been adduced to prove any of these theories."

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  11. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

Mty theory is the girl had an arrangement with the hotel manager who was acting as her confidence scam partner/pimp. Cook took a shower and she stole his roll and valuables.... he got out and he must have seen something or been privy to something when he booked the room they tipped him off. He went barging into the manager's office, wrestled with her and she shot him dead. Not that I dont think it makes a good conspiracy documentary... but sometimes the most obvious explanation is the right one.

12. Hiraeth

Thanks for this one! I hadn't seen it before. I suppose Pamela was the most famous of the groupies who ruled during the late 60s-mid 70s rock scene. Her book is apparently a fun read.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Pamela's book is really fun. There's plenty of trash (how could there not be?) but it's not all trash, and her writing style is entertaining. I recommend it.

All Down The Line and Hiraeth like this.
  14. Hiraeth

I think you're spot on about that. I guess it came out some years later that Bertha Franklin, the hotel manager, was an ex-hooker and former madam herself. It's highly likely that she knew the girl and they were running the scam you describe. That book Boogaloo: The Quintessence of American Popular Music describes it pretty much that way.

[​IMG]

15. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Stan Lynch, Whisky a Go Go, 1977 - photo by Theresa Kereakes

Charlie Z. and Hiraeth like this.
  16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Don't know if it's just the camera setting, but that is one huge mounted tom.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  17. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

There was a Unsolved Mysteries or VH1 Music Legends show that mentioned the the case years ago. And it just seemed so cut and dried... not that it couldn't have involved more sinister hanky panky (ala Jim Reeves murder.) But scams like that happened all the time to musicians and traveling salesman criss crossing the country. A high profile singer like Cook would have been easily susceptible. It reminds me of the Bobby Fuller murder. "FRANK SINATRA PUT A HIT OUT ON HIM. OR... HIS MANAGER DID IT." No. He probably just banged the wrong guy's wife who then took it upon himself to get a bunch of hoodlums together to drown Fuller in gasoline. Simple as that. Sinatra would just get a plant, a ransom john to get you caught smeared as a sexual deviant. And mob backed managers would smack you around a bit if you asked them too sincerely for royalties. The music industry has plenty of intrigue in it... but not in that way.

18. All Down The Line

Keith IS lurking somewhere nearby too!

19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

She was one of the most gorgeous women on the planet in the '60's. Yes he was lucky.

20. Hiraeth

Indeed! Oddly, he was there with Suki Poiter. Anita had just given birth to Marlon on August 10th so that might explain her absence.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With Robert Fraser

[​IMG]

21. jbg

jbg Forum Resident

Dion DiMucci

[​IMG]

Fender Relic and Hiraeth like this.
  22. jbg

jbg Forum Resident

Buddy Holly and his wife Maria Elena along with Phil Everly and his date.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  23. Hiraeth

Yea just an unbelievably beautiful woman.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Many people won't know who these folks are. Please label your photos!

25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Looks like one of the Everly Brothers.
    The other guy looks kind of familiar.