Interesting Houses and Architectural Features

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaveySR, Jan 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been interested in architecture for years, especially residential architecture. These are some of the more interesting houses and features I've seen.

[​IMG]

Ickworth - Suffolk, England. The main feature is the Rotunda, which was, and is, very unusual for a residence, but leave it to the Italians. There are also two huge wings at each end that are estate houses in their own right.

[​IMG]

Also sticking to England is the Cascade at Chatsworth Derbyshire. This landscape feature is the most spectacular in England.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

4. DaveySR

The Colonnade and Stair Tower at Blois Chateau France. This French chateau was one of the inspirations for the Vanderbilt Biltmore house in North Carolina.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Biltmore - North Carolina:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

budwhite and arley like this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

How's the Wi-Fi...?

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That cascade is impressive!

DaveySR likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

budwhite likes this.
  8. DaveySR

Another pic of the Blois colonnade (the previous pic disappeared).

[​IMG]

9. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I visited there in the late 80's. it was quite interesting.

DaveySR likes this.
  10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

11. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Two of my favorites:

Fallingwater
    [​IMG]

Integral House in Toronto
    [​IMG]

Exterior pictures of Integral House don't do it justice. It's a five story house built on the side of a ravine. Only the top two floors are visible above street level. The third floor contains a performance space that can seat up to 200 people.

DaveySR and Ghostworld like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And the garage on the bottom floor includes $30 million' worth of classic cars!

numer9 and Ghostworld like this.
  13. DaveySR

Fallingwater is about a 90 minute drive from my house, and I've been there a few times. An impressive wonder.
    Where I grew up there was a small Wright Usonian house a few miles away that was built in the 1950s. The house actually blends in with the other more conventional suburban homes built around the same time (it was the 50s!). It's the Joseph Euchtman House in Baltimore.

14. DaveySR

[​IMG]

This door to the Hammond-Harwood House in Annapolis, MD so impressed Thomas Jefferson, that he sketched it from across the street. The sketch was among his papers, and is preserved.

15. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I always wondered, "what did they do to the architects, engineers, and contractors for the Tracy compound? Were they all killed in order to keep their silence? And how does Jeff Tracy get tanks of liquid oxygen and other kinds of rocket fuel shipped out to the island without arousing suspicion? How come the pool and the fake palm trees don't burn up every time they launch a rocket? How does John Tracy ever get laid if he's stuck out in space on Thunderbird 5 for months at a time?" I have many questions.

ggergm likes this.
  17. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

:agree: Strange stuff, indeed. No doubt higher-ups are involved. Somebody's pulling the strings.

Vidiot likes this.
  18. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I was thinking that the car collection might be an impediment to selling the house, as anyone who's inclined to spend $30 mil on cars is likely going to want to build the collection themselves (or already has their own carefully-selected collection). But a bit of googling turned up a Jalopnik piece listing some of the cars, and it appears that the majority of the collection's value is in the 1936 Mercedes 540K roadster, valued at $15 million. That is a no-doubt, blue-chip classic that would easily be the centerpiece of most collections, and one that any dyed-in-the-wool car guy would love to own. The Allard is the only other vintage car I see, and it's probably "only" worth several hundred thousand dollars.

Most of the other cars look like much more modern exotics that, while expensive, are relatively common toys of the rich and famous (OK, the Pagani Huayra, with only 100 built, and the Bugatti Veyron, with 450 built, aren't exactly common), exactly the sort of cars you'd expect to see in the garage of a screamingly expensive Bel-Air mansion.

https://jalopnik.com/check-out-the-cars-that-come-with-the-most-expensive-ho-1791348250

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.