Interesting NY Times article about XM Radio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guy incognito, Dec 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Today on my XM receiver, I had the "Chrome" channel (the disco channel) on for about five hours and, to be honest, they didn't even repeat the same artist once in those five hours, let alone repeat any songs! I can tell I'm an FM radio listener because I tuned out the commercials subconsciously; by the time I realized it was a commercial, it was over.

Once the holiday programming is gone, it will be interesting to listen to some of these other channels. So far, I like it. :thumbsup: Let's hope XM can keep up the programming.

3. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Mike

The link that you added sends me to a page that requires regristration prior to being able to retrieve and information .

4. Velcro

Velcro New Member

I've been an XM subscriber for about 2 months, and The Loft is the best radio station that I have listened to in many many years.

This one station is worth the price of admission. :thumbsup:

5. does XM actually sound decent?

I had Digitial Music Express (aka DMX) about 10 years ago and I thought that the fidelity was terrible. Oddly, this varied throughout the day, sometimes it sounded okay. I figured it was jitter I was hearing.

At the time I had a really cheap, really bad cd player. I figure in retrospect, if it sounded worse to me at that time when compared to an $88 cd player, it must have sounded atrocious by today's standards.

6. Well hey, the other day on XM DeepTracks, I heard what I think was the entire album side of In-a-gada-da-vida. Now how cool is that?

The last time I knew of the entire track being played on the radio was circa 1979, when I was a DJ on my tech schools radio station!

For the uninitiated, DeepTracks is pretty much what FM radio sounded like in the early to mid 70's. A DJ that speaks only to tell you what was just played, what was going to be played, and perhaps some relevant commentary about the artist in question.

For a guy that discovered FM radio in early 1970's, and listened as it slowly descended into a cesspool of commercials and "radio personalities", its manna from heaven.

BGL

7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

Re: Re: Interesting NY Times article about XM Radio

Yeah, I forgot the Times site requires registration. If you'd rather not bother, the complete text of the article can be found here.

If you want more of a sense of what XM has to offer (and what its strengths and weaknesses are compared with rival Sirius), from people who've actually used it, I'd recommend checking out www.xmfan.com, and the various forums/threads therein.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I love the 60's channel. Terry "Motormouth" is actually Jackson Armstrong from CHUM and many other radio stations. Commercial free too.

Lots of personality! It's like a trip back.

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I had the 50's channel on for a couple of hours for dinner today. :thumbsup: I like the fact that I can hear these earlier "oldies" without having to endure any Motown. ;) I also switched to the 60's for an hour, and again, no repetition and a lot of tunes I'd known, but heard very infrequently on the radio (if ever). And I don't think I heard one Motown song the entire hour. (Locally, "oldies" = Motown ad nauseum. :mad: It's no wonder I'm burned out.)

I heard "In-a-gada-da-vida" last year on WCSX locally, when they were doing a "Classic Rock A to Z" which lasted longer than a week...an alphabetical presentation of classic rock songs.

There's so much to listen to on XM. I'm already *really* liking it. :thumbsup: Hey, ya think Grant would like the 70's channel? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.