Interesting Review of Cartridges on YouTube

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

You're going to get rid of it without listening to it because of a dude on YouTube?
    Why don't you try them both and sell the one you don't prefer? Even if he projects confidence you could totally still have better ears than him and an equally valid opinion.

punkmusick likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

How did you arrive at those capacitance numbers? You need to include the cabling and the internal capacitance of the phono preamp.

3. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

My gut feeling is the possibly "brighter" AT could work and sound well with a tube Allied 333.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  4. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

This exactly. 1 persons rubbish is another persons treasure.

You should at least give both of them a fair crack in your system before deciding which to keep. Remember that the Youtube chap is going to have a completely different system, in a completely different room set up to yours and his taste will be different too. His opinion is no more valid or incorrect as anyone elses and should just be used as a helpful way of choosing your cartridge, not the last word in it.

Leonthepro and patient_ot like this.
  5. missan

missan Forum Resident

Seems a more than usual biased review to me. Nothing one can form an own opinion on.

Sir Talbot Buxomly likes this.
  6. allied333

allied333 Audiophile Thread Starter

You are spot on regarding a factory stock Allied 333.
    My Allied 333 is just whisper of the original performance due to completely recapped with K40Y-9 including the important tone controls, new power supply caps providing less than 5 volts AC ripple vs 18 volts stock & adding RCA 12AX7 black plate tubes (best from a lot of vintage 12AX7s). Waiting for various 6BM8s to arrive to finish tuning. I have Amperex Bugle Boy, Mullard England, Siemens, AWA Thorn & Philips Miniwatt 6BM8s arriving soon. I am using 1963 Matsushita 6BM8s now and this Allied 333 is very clear & detailed without being harsh right now. It is a far cry from the original somewhat veiled performance. Yes, I am a tube nut all the way!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  7. Cosmo-D

Cosmo-D Well-Known Member

His reviews are great. I particularly like his adjectives. He describes the bass as "meek and clang-gy".

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

I particularly like the blanket statements.

9. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

His videos are entertaining and I hope he keeps doing them.

But, at the end of the day, he's just one voice in a sea of millions.

10. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Meek and clang-y were one of the best U.K. jungle groups.

11. loki7177

loki7177 Well-Known Member

Exactly he is only one voice so you have to take it for what it is worth. What he hears and his associating equipment may differ greatly form yours. However, I really enjoy his content because of his enthusiasm for the hobby and his ability to articulate what he hears, and english is probably his second language.

12. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Im sure you would be happy with almost any 100-200$ priced cartridge. Test different ones if you have the patience and will, otherwise dont worry too much.

I often recommend Ians videos but there is also often opposition to what he thinks. Your setup might prefer something else, in the end I doubt the differences are as big as presented for most listeners and he seems to have a pretty revealing system to boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.