Internet streaming radio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ted Bell, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist Thread Starter

What is the general consensus of the quality of the internet streaming radio? I hooked my office computer into my Linn Classik -> Spendor s3/5 and tried a few stations. The Ipod radio station sounced like a an old portable transistor radio, as dull as can be. I then tried the WFUV website, the "hip" public station out of NY. It was a little better, but certainly not equivalent of straight FM. Is good sound possible through the internet?

2. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

I listen to several Winamp stations from time to time. Some are quite good. Most of the ones I listen to are encoded at 128k (like an mp3) so, while they might not be cd quality, they sound better than FM to my ears. Normally the high the encoding rate the better the quality. Check it out.

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Bitrates vary between stations. I use Shoutcast whenever I want streaming radio...some of the 128kbps stations are about FM quality, while others at lower bitrates come across like AM radio. I can live with it, especially for the musical variety.

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

FUV.org sounds a little "tin canny" at times

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I have been impressed with Radio Paradise. The quality, at 128 K is very good. The eclectic music selection...even better. I wish we had a radio station around here with this type of programming.

6. bluelight1469

bluelight1469 New Member

I have to agree. Bill at Radio Paradise does a great job with his music selection. his website also keeps a detailed play list with an area for listener comments.

Too bad there are more "real" radio stations like this anymore, or perhaps this is the radio station of the future.....

7. bluelight1469

bluelight1469 New Member

8. Wufnpoof

Wufnpoof Well-Known Member

I'm happy listening to Harvard Radio over the web, as they have very interesting programming. It's mostly Jazz and Classical during the day; late nights it's odd experimental stuff or way-off-my-radar rock. The schedule changes during the summer, however.

At least once a year (I think it's more) they have "orgies" devoted to a particular artist or type of music, lasting anywhere from a few hours to several days - last spring I listened to most of their Nina Simone orgy and a bit of the Charles Mingus one too.

You can check them out at www.whrb.org

but I'm pretty sure the summer schedule isn't listed in detail - during the school year you can find out what's on and when.

**Warning - DO NOT go to whrb.com!!! you will be plagued with pop-up whatnot**

9. Wufnpoof

10. Wufnpoof

Now it's over... wow that was, er, concise!

11. Wufnpoof

All done. Nice to hear you, Mark! I will check out www.swaves.com !

12. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I listen to Sirius Satellite Radio - OK, Yahoo Launchcast - Very Good, Lost Highway - Very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.