Interpol - LP6 "Marauder" August 24, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DorothyV, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

The mastering on the original sounded great to me..I bought the deluxe for the bonus tracks,but couldn’t detect any discernible difference in sound.

Neonbeam likes this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The third album is the nadir of the catalog for me, ironically the only major label release.

Can’t help but feel they somewhat choked under the pressure.

Neonbeam likes this.
  3. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

I know I’m in a small minority but “Our Love To Admire” is my favorite of the Interpol catalog. The only Interpol album I don’t absolutely love is the self titled. (And I still very much enjoy it)

4. putney_swope

putney_swope Forum Resident

I wasn’t a huge fan at first but with time I would probably put it right behind Antics (which is my fav).

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Same impression here. And since they start at a staggering $115 at Discogs now, I couldn't really recommend buying this. Ironically the "Antics" 7" box has long come down from the $100+ prices it commanded in 2004. But that's more of an object anyway. A nice one at that.
    Wow, you like the self-titled more?

I hate Interpol. Loved them in 2002, got all of their albums but stopped playing them regularly around 2010. Since then, I'm keep having these cycles where I start reading negative reviews - or a book like the great "Meet Me In The Bathroom" - and start to wonder how the albums after "Antics" actually are. Or if their presence in my household is actually necessary. So I reluctantly put them on again after all these years. And find that I actually like them. Even though not as much as I necessarily did in 2007.

"El Pintor" I thought was really good but guess what.... I haven't played it since the year it came out. Time to turn on the bright lights again I guess... to be prepared for... "Marauder". I didn't want to but of course I'm going to buy it. Don't get me started on Paul Banks solo albums:evil:

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Apparently I'm one of the few on here that likes self-titled! :)

Loup and Neonbeam like this.
  7. Neonbeam

At least it does contain "Lights"! :righton:

8. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

New track, "Number 10," available here: Hear "Number 10," Interpol's Latest Single from Marauder

Sounds like a cool song. But mein Gott what has happened to the sound? Is there something wrong with the Web page? I'm listening with headphones on my laptop right now and cued up something else just to make sure there was nothing wrong with my computer. (There isn't.)

9. Neonbeam

**** in MOJO!

10. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Also it had the unenviable task of following the first two. Which did it even less favors

JeffMo likes this.
  11. clercqie

clercqie Forum Resident

Yes, it sounds horrible. Hope it's just a Youtube degradation in order to limit pirating (?) instead of the actual sound on record.

I've also enjoyed every album these guys have put out throughout the years. I agree with the above comments about them having a fully-formed sound that's hard to evolve from; but somehow -- for me -- it's distinct from album to album. Seen them live a couple of times as well and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

SBurke, Dave 81828384 and JeffMo like this.
  12. Neonbeam

Just listened to "El Pintor" for the first time in years and was - well almost - surprised how good it is!

13. Neonbeam

Ooooh... Uncut grants 6. Out of 10. Don't even know why I expected an
    unanimously loved album this time around. It's Interpol after all. And we don't want Inter Paul to feel too comfortable after all! :evil:

Now I'm even more happy, I preordered this. Reviews ain't going to get you nowhere with this band. For example Pitchfork about "El Pintor":

"Interpol don’t sound as much like Interpol as they do a band that really wants to be Interpol"

Jesus!

jamesc and Dave 81828384 like this.
  14. clercqie

clercqie Forum Resident

Translation: El Pintor is sort of a throwback to Turn on the Bright Lights. But actually, it's not literally, song-per-song TOTBL. We liked them better when they put out TOTBL. Why can't every new album just be TOTBL?

This is basically the 'professional' criticism for every band that releases a massively hyped-up debut album.

craigobau and jamesc like this.
  15. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

In my opinion, El Pintor is a pretty good album marred by fairly horrible mastering. I fear Marauder will suffer similarly.

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I played it again the other day, but in the car where the compression helps. :)

17. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I've had El Pintor on repeat play for the past 10 days and it's now standing up for me as a great Interpol release (maybe number three after Antics and ToTBL).

You definitely need to give it some time, but there many strong songs on the album if you take the time.

I found listening to some of albums tracks played as part of the "radio session" the band did for Spotify after the albums release helped me get into the album as these songs sound even better live than their album counterparts.

And to add to my Interpol-dominated week, I also managed to get a ticket to the small gig they are doing in south-London (Kingston) on 29th August for the princely sum of GBP£16 which also included the Marauder CD - what a bargain!

18. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I played Our Love To Admire in the car today, first time I've heard it in probably 5-6 years. I actually enjoyed it far more than I was expecting to or remembered it. Still far from their best, and I still hate the West Coast single (what a disappointment that lead single was to hear!).

jamesc likes this.
  20. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I was never nuts about WC as a single either but Pioneer to the Falls is such a beautiful, melancholic song. :love:

Maurice and JeffMo like this.
  21. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

My indie color vinyl lp just arrived. I have yet to listen to it, but I can tell you there is nothing special in the deadwax. It looks like it was done by gz. Hopefully it will sound good!

jamesc likes this.
  22. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Loved their first two LP’s but fell off after that. Rejoined with El Pintor which I thought was fantastic!

Definitely looking forward to checking out Marauder and I’m excited to see them at Riot Fest this September (never seem them live before).

23. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Saw them in 2010 and they were fantastic. Had tickets for 2015 but life intervened and I was unable to go. Got tickets for September in Montreal. Really looking forward to it. :cheers:

24. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

According to discogs, it like some versions of the vinyl were cut at Sterling.

jamesc likes this.
  25. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Most advance reviews of Maurader have been very good.

Looking forward to giving it a spin tomorrow.

Loup likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.