Interpol - LP6 "Marauder" August 24, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DorothyV, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DotKom11

DotKom11 Forum Resident

I completely agree with everything you said. This album is very fatiguing to listen to due to the mix/mastering combined with the "wall of sound" production.

2. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Yeah, El Pintor was really good. Not when compared to Turn On The Bright Lights... but it was an improvement in creative output and had some great guitar riffs throughout. I haven't had a chance to listen to the new track or the whole new album yet.

I am more than a bit worried about the quality of it though with the mention of --->
    Dave Fridmann who should be banned from producing albums for ruining Sleater-Kinney's The Woods album. What a travesty the sound on that album was....

Yeah, that is to be expected from Dave Fridmann's production. Yikes.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  3. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Just finished my first spin of this, been a long time Interpol fan that kinda lost interest over the last few albums. I'll refrain from commenting on the sound quality of this, since my first listen was via iPhone and Skullcandy earbuds, but I'll agree that Fridmann needs to stop producing (though, oddly, I always thought The Woods was one of the rare cases where his production approach worked with the content, but that's another discussion for another time).

Songwriting, I really like this a lot and I think it's may end up being my favorite Interpol record since Our Love to Admire.

npc210, pexie, noname74 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Played it again and I'm going to say write this now: "Marauder" is the best Interpol album since.... gasp.... "Antics"! Yeah, it's nothing new but for what it is, it's :righton::righton::righton:

pexie likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Need to revisit "OLTA" - still annoyed that I swapped my UK vinyl original for a US pressing (country of origin bullsh*t) in 2007 - but at the moment I'd say "Marauder" is their best since "Antics"

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Similar feelings, enjoyed El Pintor and couldn't really say that about Interpol albums for some years now.

The new one hasn't grabbed me yet but I'm sure I'll give it a few more spins on Tidal.

7. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

Stay in touch is just too cool. Totally into the hi-hat during the intro. Fog always keeps it interesting.

Marauder chained of no real code
    Marauder breaks bonds
    Marauder stays long
    Plays with the real face on…

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    CrombyMouse likes this.
  8. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

9. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I can't answer this but I bought the Hi-Res from Q0buz and I'm really struggling with it. I like the tracks but it sounds really bad. First I thought it was some changes I made to my system, then I thought it was my ears from congestion (due to cold or allergies), but it still sounds like crap to me. I hope someone can confirm that the HDtracks sounds better.

punkmusick likes this.
  10. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

I was afraid of this element. Like all of the Dave Fridmann production I have heard, the "fuzz" is likely in the recording sessions and was done "in the red" so it can't be mixed or mastered to better levels to compensate. Just going to live with it or hate it all together. Crap.....

punkmusick likes this.
  11. Neonbeam

Yeah, the songs are slowly revealing themselves, suddenly strange parts pop up in my head, strange parts that I can't identify. Until I realise "Wait, that's from the new Interpol album!'" :goodie:

Loup likes this.
  12. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Really like this new one despite my disdain for many of Dave Fridmann's productions. Takes a couple of listens to reveal the songs under the distorted soundwall; but they are good. Think this is the best since Antics. Struggled with OLTA and Interpol which were laboured recordings. Haven't even heard El Pintor as a result of aforementioned antipathy. Glad i checked this out now.

13. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Youtube link below to the song All at Once (apparently an outtake from El Pintor). Great song.

14. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

I bought the cream color vinyl at Amoeba today and its warped and the record has seam split. I really dont care about the seam split but for $25 dont want a warped record.....has anyone received a non-warped cream colored vinyl? I hear the red vinyl has a pressing defect......I would go with the black pressing but from what I see at discogs the cream pressing is from Optimal but there is no information as to where the black was pressed.....supposedly according to at least one person at discogs the red vinyl was pressed at GZ

15. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Damn. That's sounds like a pretty consistently bad run of pressings from different sources.....

We're you able to get a refund?

16. Loup

Just got these…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Neonbeam, TexasBuck, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  17. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Did you catch them after their soundcheck?

18. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I quite like this but still don't get what's so special about their debut album.

Record Rotator likes this.
  19. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I like Marauder a little more than El Pintor, but it’s definitely a case of diminishing returns trying to stay an Interpol fan. And no, Marauder is not close to as good as Our Love To Admire - for one thing, it got no song that even comes close to Pioneer To The Falls. If I want to listen to Interpol, there is very little reason to put on anything other than Turn On The Bright Lights, with perhaps highlights from Antics and OLTA for occasional variety.

20. Loup

I think it was before sound check. Daniel was at about 2:45. Banks and Fog were around 4:00. I believe they are sound checking now.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    jamesc likes this.
  21. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

The problem for me with 'El Pintor' is that it's "All the Rage Back Home", one of my favourite Interpol songs, followed by nine songs that are not "All the Rage Back Home".

punkmusick and CrombyMouse like this.
  22. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

How was the Royal Oak show? Had a ticket but couldn't make it...

23. Loup

It was excellent!

24. Neonbeam

Well.... when it arrived it immediately felt special and grandiose and summed up this whole strange post 9/11 period. The name, the style, the fact that they hailed from NYC. The album came in late summer and it was great watching shadows grow and lights get brighter while listening to the stream of the traffic and the sound of subway trains. The future looked tempting!

Jerry James and CrombyMouse like this.
  25. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

It did very little for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.