Interstellar - Christopher Nolan

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Nice spoiler frame! :D

ssmith3046 likes this.
  2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The movie was released in 2014, the video in 2015, and it's available free on Amazon Prime. Anyone who hasn't seen it and is perusing this thread deserves to be spoiled!

:D

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I watched this online and wish I had spent that time doing something better. It wasn't as disappointing as "Prometheus" but it wasn't much smarter either. I enjoyed Matt Damon going bye-bye though since I don't like him much.

The movie really nose-dived when it came to the 5th Dimension non-sense.

I'm still looking for a good recent sci-fi film that doesn't disappoint.

Deesky and teodoro like this.
  4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

The Martian with your favorite - Matt Damon.

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Funny, I just streamed this last night too. Bleah.

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I think the movie would have been much better if it ended with McConaughey dying in the black hole.

7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think I watch sci fi for different reasons than most here. There has to be a compelling "real" story behind the sci fi. In Prometheus it was faith vs science (faithlessness) and that worked for me. In Interstellar it was the juxtaposition of generations linked only by love. The great symbol of that in Interstellar came when McConaughey was trapped in the tesseract, represented by the daughter's room. Each character was trapped on opposite sides of the room's library, symbolizing the collective knowledge of mankind. I found this an very emotional, effective symbol and the imagery and built up to that sequence was just heartwrenching as hell, given that the father had chosen to pursue advancing mankind through space travel over living his life with his daughter. He was then forced to communicate with her through that library, which is really quite a brilliant plot device. The Nolan brothers really outdid themselves here.

Had McConaughey's character died in the black hole, as suggested by Tommy, the story would have been incomplete. The character had to be returned to his daughter, who was older and wiser then her father. Turns out she always was wiser. As a father to a five-year-old daughter, the entire story of generations that came full circle left me a sobbing mess when I first saw it in the theater and on most of my repeat viewings on blu-ray. It's a masterpiece by the Nolans, but not necessarily because of the sci fi angle. It echoes many of the themes in The Prestige and Inception, especially with regard to playing on imagery or fear of losing one's child. Those fleeting images of children Nolan uses so successfully (along with the Zimmer crescendos) to highlight important sequences. I can't think of anything more emotionally loaded in modern cinema.

SRC, Ghostworld, Simon A and 7 others like this.
  8. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

A lovely (re-)view of one of the finest movies of the last few years. Have to see the movie again!

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Just installed my new 7.1.4 sound system. Think I might revisit the movie again. It's Nolan's best work for sure

Simon A and Ghostworld like this.
  10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

ANNIHILATION
    MOON
    CHILDREN OF MEN
    NEVER LET ME GO

I would rate these recent-ish sci-fi movies above Nolan's SF films.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Olompali likes this.
  11. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Just make sure you adjust the bass. The bass in this film can be overwhelming and dangerous
    at higher volume. (I had some items on the wall fall down from the walls shaking).

Ghostworld and budwhite like this.
  12. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Yep. My ears rang higher than usual for days after seeing this in the theater. Dunkirk may have been worse in that regard.

13. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I really liked Arrival. I think that and Interstellar are my two most recent favorites.

SandAndGlass and vegafleet like this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

such an under-rated film and sinfully ignored during awards season.

Tree of Life and The Hud like this.
  15. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I watched this for the second time last night - as I own the BluRay. Sorry for any spoiler - but come on this is an old movie - anyhow - I'm going to tape a note to the BluRay that says:

"Stop watching at the Black Hole scene because...." - It will continue with how I feel the movie really ends.

That will make it better for me. I really loved the first part up to that scene. I could definitely watch this again with that tip.

16. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Sci-fi is my favorite movie genre, so I always have high expectations, but at the same time am usually willing to cut some slack regarding the quality of a given film.

I thought Interstellar could have been better- I thought the planets were not rendered very imaginatively, and the movie took a long time to get off the ground (so to speak). But the depiction of the wormhole and black hole were cool- I always appreciate any effort to base sci-fi on best current science knowledge.

The end of the movie obviously opened the door to a sequel, but who knows if that will ever happen.

In the end, I thought both Arrival, and especially The Martian were better movies. I've watched the latter several times and still enjoyed it.

PS: So we have to wait til friggen fall of 2020 for Avatar 2?? JFC...

PPS: I always thought that Rendezvous With Rama (Arthur C. Clarke) would make a great movie. Hollywood? Are you listening? I have great instincts on such matters, trust me

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Go in with low expectations and you might like this little time waster.

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

riverrat and budwhite like this.
  18. Oatsdad

"Moon" good, "Life" bad!

Deuce66 likes this.
  19. budwhite

Life is fun and thrilling. Nothing more nothing less. Moon was great when I saw it when it came out. But I recently rewatched it and while still good, it lost it's magic.

Deuce66 likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

The way I look at LIFE!, it's something that could happen, we could bring back samples from Mars to the ISS. If that life is dormant due to extreme cold on Mars and gets awakened in a warm environment, that opens up all kinds of possibilities. It's science fiction that isn't too far out there.

21. budwhite

Yes. That was a great set up.
    And the crew was beyond stupid to let that happen. But without it, no movie.
    Sure, the script could have been much better and smarter.

Deuce66 likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

I thought "Life" was meh at best:

Life [Blu-Ray] (2017)

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Agreed.

24. budwhite

A bit off topic perhaps but it might interest someone who loved Hans Zimmer's score

I was listening at a playlist of mine at random and was sure that this was a track from the Interstellar soundtrack, but it was from Anna von Hausswolff's latest record instead.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  25. budwhite

This also has that spacey sci fi vibe.
    At least until she starts to sing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.