Intervention Records Hybrid SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Dec 16, 2016.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

Please, Bill, don't look for excuses to tight you money...

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Not sure if you're being serious or not. I'm not looking to make any excuses for the way I spend my money. What I look for when I spend my hard earned money is a quality product with service to match. Maybe the issue with scratches on the Stealers Wheel SACD is isolated but I'm not impressed with Intervention's response to the issue.

If one bought the SACD from Amazon or any other reseller then they can return it if the reseller will accept the return. But the blame falls squarely on Intervention as they put the package together which includes the plastic sleeve.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

In that case, I would prefer a DVD-A. No extra conversions involved there.

MarkN likes this.
  4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Not the first time a label took the money and ran without correcting flaws (music or cosmetic), probably not the last. Even the majors have pulled this stunt, the Simple Minds Once Upon a Time set comes to mind.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. toilet_doctor

I was not.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

OK. It's hard to tell unless a ";)" is in play :).

toilet_doctor likes this.
  7. That's not entirely accurate in this day and age. If I have a defective Warner/Atlantic/Rhino/Dead.net purchase, I email the department that handles customer service, provide proof of purchase and replacement discs are sent directly. Same with Sony for the most part. On the other hand I do return things to Amazon from time to time too. In this case, Shane played coy when I asked about him shipping me a new disc by not mentioning that others are having similar issues. I even offered to return the defective one at my cost. He said no, return it to point of purchase, and this was after he was aware of the problem from other customers. So now I've spent my money to buy a defective product, pay for return shipping, all the while the owner of the label knows of the defect. I'd say that's a frustrating set of circumstances, no?

8. toilet_doctor

Plastic sleeve is not an issue.

I just took this inner sleeve again and tried it for a second time with free of scratches disc in and out several times - no scratches have been found on the disc after all.

Then I went further and took my Japan Open Mouth outer sleeve made of even thicker plastic and did the same thing with the same disc 10 times. And again no scratches or even light marks have been left on the disc. (The disc was my old Pain of Salvation Remedy Lane, I didn't afraid to use it for test, as I recently bought 2016 remaster)

One more test:
    I also have Rush Triple Box Mini LP CD + 3 Mini LP DVD-A set (2013 Remaster) made in EU. (Quality of covers is no match to the Stoughton we have). These Mini LP came with half-round thick plastic inner sleeves, I replaced with fabric ones. I don't know why, but I still have those half-round inner sleeves. I took one a repeated my experiment. This sleeve was much tighter and it was hard to pull disc out. But anyway, thick and tight plastic sleeve did not scratch the surface of the disc.

Everybody can conduct such a simple experiment to be sure:
    Plastic inner sleeves does not cause these ugly scratches by any means.

But I would suggest Shane to replace them anyway with better quality inner sleeves to keep the product on a high level.

P.S.
    Another point:
    Some people reported that they don't have any scratches on the disc at all. But it's the same plastic sleeve, right? It should leave some marks on their discs too, but it didn't...

I don't know is it better or worse, but a bad handling/transportation with the friction of the discs against each other only could be a reason for these damn scratches.

Is it correctable? Sure it is.
    I am looking forward to see second Stealers Wheel album with better sleeves and without scratches.

9. toilet_doctor

The only one thing we need after this still unresolved ordeal, it's to stock our multi-suffered discs on a top of each other...

DVD-A is not even an option here, as SACD demand surpasses DVD-A in dozens times. Major labels, who're based their marketing strategy upon their sales number, treat DVD-A like it is not existed.
    Sony count it dead, as they think they killed DVD-A ones, many years ago.
    Uni ignore it, sticking to Blu-ray Audio, but mostly, as Blu-ray Audio version of SACD.
    Only EMI released two titles in 2013 and dissolved into Uni right after that.
    DVD-A reappears only as independent releases by the audio enthusiasts like Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp.

I put in a search of the Acoustic Sound store: "SACD"; Result: 1625 Products.
    Then I did the same putting in a search: "DVD-A"; Result: 3 Products.

Price-wise DVD-A can be cheaper only for mass-market releases. When it comes to licensed releases with Limited pressing, price is actually higher.
    I checked my Japanese Limited releases:
    King Crimson 40th Ann. Ed. Mini LP HQCD+DVD-A. It's a mindblowing release with structured (canvas like) heavy cardboard two Gate-fold covers, where HQCD (High Quality Polycarbonate) resides in UK version cover and DVD-A - in US version. [Our Stoughton has a long road ahead to come up with such covers]. The price is printed on "see through" OBI - 4500Yen (it was more than $45 at the time, but now it's about $40.
    OK, it's two covers release, here is the single cover releases:
    Porcupine Tree Mini LP HQCD+DVD-A; Price - 3719Yen
    Gentle Giant Mini LP SHM-CD+DVD-A (EMI's swan song ); Price - 3900Yen.

I think Hi-Res downloads possible, when the company will accumulate DSD files library, but it can greatly complicate license agreements.

10. toilet_doctor

Happy New Year, guys!

Crimson Witch and Joti Cover like this.
  11. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Ok. I know I said I had no scratches earlier in this thread. So yesterday I took out the Stealers Wheel SACD and looked at it carefully and still couldn't see any scratches. I then looked at it under a VERY BRIGHT light, and lo and behold there are three very FAINT scratches.

So what are others seeing? Are your scratches pronounced or faint like the ones I have. In reality I would have never even known they existed if not for this thread and looking at the disc under a light I would never think to look at a disc under.

Suffice to say, for me and my disc, this is a non-issue.

Tom Campbell and Joti Cover like this.

12. My copy is severally scratched under low light, normal light or bright light. The way that Shane @ Intervention has handled the issue is atrocious.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

post a picture.

14. It's gone. I returned it. Based on the reports here, I don't have high expectations that the replacement will be any better. I'll advise once it arrives.

15. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Exactly! And this is a fabulous release. ...I listen to it quite a lot and would love to see Ferguslie Park next in SACD.

art likes this.
  16. art

art Senior Member

same. my disc is perfect. sound and otherwise ...

Joti Cover likes this.
  17. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

WEA was doing well with their DVD-A releases for awhile, most households have a DVD player and the format could have taken off with some adequate promotion.
    As usual the labels drop the ball and then the format dies. The major labels could have issued some exclusive releases on the format as a introduction, but no.

I see nothing wrong with DVD-A, many people don't have a player that handles SACD but own a DVD player, many PS3 owners don't know that you can rip and play super audio discs on them, the introduction of the PS3 was the perfect time to reintroduce the format to that audience and the public.....but no.

To me SACD was the perfect format for the paranoid and protective RIAA, no SACD burners, can't rip on a computer, files too big for uploads if ripped.
    They would have loved it.

18. toilet_doctor

While being back playable on a reg. DVD player due to DVD-Video (VIDEO_TS) content, "the high-resolution, Packed PCM audio encoded using MLP is only playable by DVD players containing DVD-Audio decoding capability". Not only those DVD players, every household have, don't have DVD Audio decoding capability, but also their owners absolutely don't care about Audio content. (I read plenty of 1 star DVD-A reviews because they don't have Video).

Every household, you are mentioned, can play Hybrid SACD on their CD player with the same success, as they could play DVD Audio on their DVD payer. They are not going to pay a penny extra neither for SACD, nor for DVD-A.

Crimson Witch and Echo like this.
  19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Intervention should consider getting serious about SACD. Packaging, sure, but definitely pure DSD. Manufacture and package properly. We will buy. Would be an unforgivable shame to waste Kevin Gray's mastering work!

toilet_doctor likes this.
  20. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Broke down and ordered the Stealers Wheel SACD even though I have the recent SHM CD. Curious to see what shape the disc is in when it arrives.

21. toilet_doctor

I hope you will test it fist, then your guy on the picture...

22. toilet_doctor

"Your first pancake is always a blob."
    (old proverb)

I have a few cat-hair thin scratches, I can live with, as they don't affect the sound.
    (I may had such a thing on my others SACDs, I've never inspected before assuming them sealed, new and perfect...)

Yes, guys, "first pancake" not always comes nice and flat... And...
    I believe we will not to do big deal of it and support new beginning; we will not put new label down.

So, let's move on...

23. toilet_doctor

Why Mini LPs?

"I have always loved rich, chunky cover art and gatefold jackets that so many artists labored to create... and miniaturized this formerly bigger-than-life experience." -- Shane Buetner

"A mini LP is a CD version of something that was originally released as a 12" vinyl LP.
    They are also known as "LP replicas" as they tend to exactly replicate the original packaging of the firstvinyl release."
    (from the minilps.net site, which covers 13.000 Mini LP releases and more)

"But my mother she gave me something
    It's going to carry me through this world"
    (from the Billie's Blues)

Mini LPs are pieces of Art themselves. And therefore, they carry a lot of soul of those, who created them: artists, designers and craftsmen.
    We all are music lovers. If we able to except into our soul, spiritual energy of composers and musicians and enjoy the music, why should we reject to enjoy visual part of Mini LP.

Some Mini LP has amazing structured and embossed covers. (Unfortunately, system allows only 5 pictures; I wish to show all stuff coming with this Mini LP package, but I cannot):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why are Mini LPs existed in Japan for 22 years, while Jewel case version of them costs twice less? Maybe Japanese people are more capable to except visual Art than we do? I don't think so. I use to live in different countries, speaking in different languages and I can say: all people are the same.

Simply we have to be more caring, pay more attention to details and all beauty of Artworks and Craftsmanship will open up for us as well. Yes, guys, our moms also gave us something...

We don't have to replace warm and soulful Mini LP covers with cold plastic just because "first pancake" didn't come flat.

Kristofa and Crimson Witch like this.
  24. toilet_doctor

How to keep IR, Analog Spark and MoFi Mini LP SACD in pristine condition for the everyday use:

1. Take out disc in its inner sleeve from the Mini LP cover.

2. Put disc into Japan DU fabric sleeve (for IR Mini LP only; see Post #7)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISK-UNION-JAPAN-50-SQUARE-White-Nonwoven-Fabric-INNER-SLEEVE-FOR-MINI-LP-CD-/351722035931?hash=item51e4445adb:g:u7oAAOSwubRXJeER&rmvSB=true

3. Put Mini LP cover with inserts into Japan Open Mouth outer sleeve.

[​IMG]

OPEN MOUTH TYPE JAPAN 100 PLASTIC OUTER SLEEVE FOR MINI LP CD | eBay ยป

4. Put disc with inner sleeve into the same Open Mouth outer sleeve behind the cover.

So, Open Mouth outer sleeve will keep and the cover, and the disc together. In this way, it very easy and safe to retrieve the disc without disturbing the cover. Also Mini LPs take twice less space vs. Jewel cases. And Open Mouth outer sleeve costs 19 cents apiece including shipping.

25. I was thinking the same thing. :uhhuh:

arob71 likes this.