“Invest in Vinyl” inner sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GBailey9099, Jun 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I need some inner and outer sleeves, but figuring out which ones to get gives me a headache, especially when you read reviews.

latheofheaven likes this.
  2. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

The Good:

Mofi or QRP inners are a safe bet.

Sleeve City outer sleeves are great.
    I like the 2.5 mil ultimate for a plain sleeve and the 3 mil resealable for a little extra protection. They are strong and crystal clear.

The Bad:

Stay away from the cloudy budget outer sleeves. I find they shrink over the years and had to cut them off some of my records. plus they make the albums look dull.

I don’t like the poly lined paper inner sleeves. They are always cut a bit short and the edge of the record is left exposed.

Pythonman and latheofheaven like this.
  3. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

I got the combination 50 inner and 50 outer sleeves from Invest in Vinyl from Amazon once. They were very good. I don't know if they are available now, but if you need both and don't need a lot more than that to start, that combination would be a good choice. I think the inners were the nice, MOFI/QRP clones and the outers were simple clear 3mm sleeves. It was around $2o IIRC...

BTW, that Checkoutstore is FAST! I just ordered the 200 inners last night and they've already shipped it today! They should arrive Friday. If they are comparable to the MOFI/QRP ones, then for $34 shipped this is a real steal! :D

psulioninks likes this.
  4. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Let us know how they are...at about 65% of the price QRP sleeves run, they could be best deal going.

5. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Not always, I have the invest in vinyl poly-lined paper inners and not a single record in my collection is too big. Even the 200-220 gram titles fit perfectly inside the sleeve, with no bit of edge showing.

Hardcore and latheofheaven like this.
  6. latheofheaven

Same here. I'm currently working through a 100 sleeve set (just bought it barely a few weeks ago from Amazon before they mysteriously became 'Unavailable') and they have been consistently perfect, just like the random QRPs that I run across in my collection.

7. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

I actually am not a fan of the QRP rice paper sleeves. I find they leave far too many hairline scratches.

8. latheofheaven

Whoa, that doesn't sound good. Odd... the construction is basically identical. I wonder how the polly inners would leave 'hairlines'...?

9. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Scratches are left but don't affect playback, so it's okay I guess. Still, I'd rather keep my records looking decent.

10. latheofheaven

Well, that still sounds very strange. I'm in the process of running hundreds of my albums through my ultrasonic RCM (that I made) and I carefully check each and every side and I have yet to see any hairlines. Are you sure you are referring to the 3 layer poly lined with rice paper inners?

11. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

I didn't buy them separately, so I'm not sure. I know that they came with my AP Beach Boys records, and have the QRP logo on them.

12. latheofheaven

Same here. I have bought several pressings that have been pressed there (the Stevie Ray Vaughn 2-LP 45 sets, for example) You have me a bit worried now. I think that I will carefully check over some of the albums pressed there to see if I notice any difference that could cause this kind of thing. But, knowing how careful and thorough Chad is about his pressings, I would really find that surprising.

13. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

I wouldn't worry about it too much! As I've said, it doesn't affect the playback at all, which is still flawless.

14. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

:laugh:
    They are, but in Europe they cost exactly the same as the MoFi - which is not to say that the price is justified.
    Also, for a mere €5 more you get a nice little box to hold them in :crazy:

15. latheofheaven

Yep, they came today. Looks good so far; basically just like all the others that I've bought with different names (Invest in Vinyl, Square Trade, etc...) I replaced one inner and it seemed exactly like the others.

The company is SUPER conscientious too! They sent more notifications than I think anything else I've ever ordered online:

1. Notification of receiving order
    2. Notification of tracking number
    3. Notification of actual shipping
    4. Notification that it was out for delivery
    5. Notification that it was delivered
    6. Notification acknowledging my superiour manliness
    7. Notification with telephone numbers of hot babes

Well... maybe not the last two :D But, not a bad deal, 200 for $34 shipped!

[​IMG]

16. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

GentleSenator likes this.
  17. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Of course it comes back after I already ordered and recieved 100 sleeves and 150 mofi inners...

18. latheofheaven

Well, FWIW guys, I've been using my new shipment of Checkoutstore brand sleeves as pictured above, and I've resleeved I would say nearly 50 albums easily by now after ultrasonic cleaning, and I see absolutely NO difference between these and the other Mofi/QRP/Invest in Vinyl, etc... They are exactly the same and perfectly fine and you can get them bloody anywhere. So, if $34 for 200 doesn't grab you, I don't know what will :)

***EDIT

BTW, you can get them just in packages of 50 too, and everything in between or up to 1000 I think... The price is the same everywhere.

GentleSenator and Radio like this.
  19. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Okay, I'm back to comment on my own post... :angel:
    Just to say that the Flux HiFi inner sleeves are great... but also big - a bit too big for some record covers. So, given that the price is pretty steep, I'll stay with the Audio Anatomy - cream, not white because the latter are stiffer than the former, go figure!

20. latheofheaven

Surprisingly, I've just blown through almost all of my 200 Checkoutstore Brand 3 ply inner sleeves! That was fast! The reason being is that I'm going through and running the majority of my albums through my DIY ultrasonic RCM

(If you wanna take a look - I've also added a picture of the more recent rinse tank in the comments below the video on YouTube)

Anyway, I was really surprised at how many paper and cheeeezy-thin Japanese plastic inners I've had to replace in the process of going through cleaning my albums. I'm down to the last bag of 50 now. So, I just reordered 300 for $50 shipped. So far they've worked out just great, and you certainly can't beat the price! :)

21. Turntable Fan

Turntable Fan Forum Resident

I use poly and Katta(Japan) innersleeves.. The Kattas are for cardboard printed inners when the cover is to small for additional polys.

Had zero problems with poly-innersleeves in over 35 years.

22. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

Same, although apparently some people have so it’s worth being watchful. The chemicals used in making them are subject to change.

The one I recently saw posted was where they’d put a record in a poly lined sleeve then filed it away for 12 years. I suppose if it was there trapped inside a sleeve for all that time with no movement of air there is a chance that even a tiny amount of outgassing had nowhere to escape to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.