INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Salvation Jane

I haven't heard this one before.....

One chain to the mountain
    Two feet in the chain
    Three fires approaching
    Four hours away

A sol invictus the invicible sun
    The night is almost come

Five times the assassin
    Six species destroyed
    Seven valleys are numbered
    Eight years till they're gone

Just when I thought
    I'd die on this rock
    I see a face I know

Salvation Jane
    Wild wild flower of love
    Salvation Jane
    You've got the power to change
    You're such an easy prey

Nine times the protector
    Ten years and a day
    Eleventh hour we're facing
    Twelve o'clock in the sun

Oh mother nature
    We're trying to kill you
    Such greedy fools

Salvation Jane
    Wild wild flower of love
    Salvation Jane
    Wild wild flower of love

You're such an easy prey
    Salvation Jane
    Wild wild flower of love
    Salvation Jane
    You're such an easy prey

Thirteen grand designs
    Fourteen you're walking the wire
    Fifteen is when you're lonely
    Sixteen is a long way there
    Seventeen is a whisper
    Eighteen is a whirl
    Nineteen is a mother
    Twenty minutes ago

Salvation Jane
    Wild wild flower of love
    Salvation Jane
    Wild wild flower of love
    Salvation Jane
    You've got the power of love
    Salvation Jane
    You're such an easy prey
    Salvation
    Salvation
    Salvation

Songwriters: Andrew Farriss
    Salvation Jane lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

Pretty good song. It opens up with a nice bass and drum groove, with some interesting rhythm guitar sound and effects. Stabs of keys .... It sort of has an earlier Inxs feel to it or something.
    We get some nice horn embellishments.
    I'm not really sure what else to say here. I like it well enough and it reminds me of earlier Inxs, maybe somewhere around the Listen Like Thieves era. Good track.

2. mark winstanley

Tight

I'm guessing this is somewhat demo-ish. We get this pretty cool groove, and it has a sort of Listen Like Thieves/Kick sound about it....
    I haven't heard this before either.

Oh baby you're so tight
    Tight
    C'mon shake it up
    Baby you're so tight
    C'mon shake it up

Now loosen up
    Put your money down
    Sooner or later
    You will come around

You're so tight
    Yeah... Tight
    C'mon shake it up
    You're too uptight

Let's make it good
    C'mon make it right
    Darling rub my hand
    Bet you're feeling uptight
    Get it right
    Get it right

You're too uptight
    Shake it up get it right
    Shake it up, come on in and waste your time
    Tight
    Tight
    You're so tight
    Tight

Tight
    Tight
    C'mon shake it up

This track has a really cool funky groove to it. I gather it wasn't quite finished off, but it sounds like it is.
    We have a nice arrangement and mix. It sort of sounds a little Prince, eighties, influenced.
    Again I am not too sure what else to say, but both these new, to me songs, that I believe are somewhat polished demo's come across well.

3. mark winstanley

Tight - Dan The Automator remix

We get some cusp of the millennium favourites here, with the spoken thing, and the shuffling dance groove.
    I can live with this mix, because it still contains the song, it isn't just a drum machine beat attached to a song name.

We get the also cusp of the millennium mid song toast/rap..... it suits and fits, but seems a little unnecessary in context with this being a previously unreleased Hutchence track....

I believe this is the version from the compilation

4. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Salvation Jane: 4/5. First heard this on the reissues with Andrew singing. This has all the right elements needed for a lovely INXS song.

Tight: 3.5/5. I guess she was "tight". Ha. Nothing special here, and it is an embracement of 80s funk-rock.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  5. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I love both of these songs.

Salvation Jane was demoed for X, and I would like to have seen this on that album. I include it on my extended tracklist for that one and give “Know The Difference” the heave-ho. It’s actually got a lengthy set of lyrics and I’m not sure entirely and I’m not sure what they are on about, but song is an ear worm and sticks in my head. That thumping bass line and the recitation of the lyrics works great.

Tight supposedly dates from Welcome To Wherever You Are and was written to give to Tom Jones, who was having a 90’s comeback with versions of Prince’s “Kiss” and Talking Heads “Burning Down The House”. The lyrics aren’t exactly subtle, but it’s a nice track. It could fit into WTWYA between sides one and two and it adds nicely to the variety on display there.

6. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

The remix aspects of this track, I like them quite well. But the rap: not one bit. I don’t feel that it fits in at all. Maybe I need to play around and make an edit of just the INXS parts of the song. Weekend project!

7. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Tight (Thick Dick vocal mix)

The Tommy Boy label released a 12” with extended versions of the Dan The Automator mix, and this one by Thick Dick. Yeah, nothing about the song “Tight” is subtle is it?! :)

I don’t really understand the rationale here for INXS licensing their song out for rap remixes. I think it’s indicative of a certain desperation to have a hit and chase trends. This one doesn’t have a rap, but the Dan The Automator remix initially threw me as much as “Roll The Bones” from Rush did. (Well, almost).

EDIT: I’ve listened to this Thick Dick remix a few times this morning while drinking coffee to wake myself up and I have decided I actually like it. It has its moments, and incorporates enough of the original track for it to be interesting. I had never had the patience to give it a fair chance before. It isolates some of the vocal and guitar tracks at various points and lets me hear more aspects of what is actually a very stripped down INXS song.

Melllvar and mark winstanley like this.
  8. mark winstanley

Haha I still like it.... I suppose I wasn't surprised that it wasn't hugely popular though:)

twicks and dirkster like this.
  9. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Hahaha, that has become shorthand in my friend group for rock songs with raps in them.

"Yeah that new Weezer song kinda rolls the bones a little bit."

ARK, mark winstanley and dirkster like this.
  10. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Kinda like saying “jumps the shark” then. Nice.

ARK, twicks and mark winstanley like this.
  11. Many Clouds

Many Clouds Forum Resident

Sorry to derail the progression of this thread, but after spending some time on this thread the last few days I’ve revisited INXS. It’s been a while. Just listening to Welcome To Wherever You Are, which probably is my favourite album of there’s . What I love about this album is how it just flows. Loads of deep cut songs on here that I like. My favourite is probably Communication .

Another thing, i always loved Don’t Change from one of their earlier albums . It just resonated with me, and then I went on to hear it was the bands and the fans song, like it galvanised us together with each other. I know they regretted not playing it at Wembley Stadium because they weren’t sure how the English crowd would take to it, but the crowd that night worshipped the band.

12. Many Clouds

The band also remind me of an ex . I got her into the band and she wouldn’t stop playing them. I ended up dumping her for another bird who I was mad about. When I said my final goodbyes to her she was playing INXS, Baby Don’t Cry, and Beautiful Girl . Happy care free memories . Those songs on “Welcome” have just taken me back many years ago.

13. mark winstanley

Shabooh Shoobah.
    It's definitely worth a listen :righton:

14. mark winstanley

That kind of stunned me... I figured it is a dead set cert. but figured they must have been sick of it.

ARK and Interpolantics like this.
  15. mark winstanley

I didn't listen to Jimmy Barnes for probably ten years, due to my ex-wife lol...
    And I introduced him to her also :)

Interpolantics and Many Clouds like this.
  16. Many Clouds

I have the album , but not overly keen, if I remember right. Listened to X today as well. Now I’m thinking that’s their best album .

17. Many Clouds

Apparently they weren’t sure it would go down that well

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

It is probably a little more quirky, and slightly less mainstream.
    It does take a couple of listens.....
    but I grew up with it, so that may well be the difference.

19. Many Clouds

The bird I left that other girl for is now my wife :) but she’s not keen on INXS. Sound too much like a pop band apparently. Hutch didn’t do it for her either.

20. mark winstanley

Yea, it is odd to me, the seeming lack of confidence in their material prior to Kick... but it didn't break through overseas, so I guess there is justification for caution.

ARK likes this.
  21. Many Clouds

Listen Like Thieves was quite commercial

ARK and mark winstanley like this.
  22. mark winstanley

Yea. A little more mainstream rock style, after the wonderful Swing and it's somewhat new take on pop/rock...

23. Many Clouds

Remember the video for “What You Need” fit right in with the arrival of MTV

24. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Salvation Jane was originally written during the X sessions. This version has been re-worked since Andrew sings lead on the demo version, which was included on the 2002 X remastered disc. Both versions have their highlights but I think I actually like the demo version better because of its stripped down and low key nature. And the track's semi-political / abstract lyrics are some of Andrew's best.

I already jumped ahead and reviewed Tight and some of its remixes in my previous post. But this original version should be considered the definitive version. And I like the light horn arrangements towards the end.

Also, there's one final revision to the list of markets I believe INXS could fill arenas/amphitheaters in 2021, based on the aforementioned factors. I'd like to subtract Durban, Stockholm, Madrid & Lisbon and add Glasgow, Sofia, Manila & Jakarta...

Melllvar, The MEZ and mark winstanley like this.
  25. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

read about this before and that's not the reason. It had to do with time constraints. Wish I could pull out the exact quote but know I read it before.