INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Robert Bone

Robert Bone Forum Resident

That video that is spoken of is the official video for Time, The camera crew was just there to film that clip and probably used the previous tracks to rehearse.....
    "you're in a Video....Garry's Video" pretty funny...
    I saw the band live just before this in Adelaide (twice at the Old lion hotel) they were in fine form..

2. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

One of my best friends is a huge INXS fan, and he’s told me a few times over the years that Switch really is a pretty good album and I should give it more of a chance. So, at his prompting, I’ve tried this album a few times over the years, but I’ve just never been able to get into it. Honestly, I’m not totally sure why… Maybe it’s because I simply can’t get past the fact that Michael’s not singing. Maybe the songs didn’t do it for me. Maybe I just moved on and wasn’t interested anymore.

Gonna try Switch again thanks to this thread and everyone’s awesome feedback. Who knows? Maybe all these years later it’ll finally click with me.

3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I bought Switch when it came out and played it a fair bit, but I never go back to it. There are some decent songs ("Pretty Vegas," "Afterglow") but something like "Devil's Party" just seems like such a pastiche of familiar INXS motifs. I also had no idea so many of the songs were cowrites with hit doctors like Desmond Child and the Matrix.

That said, I think the band was already on a downward trajectory creatively when Michael died (I'm not much of an Elegantly Wasted fan) so to me it's about on par with that album.

4. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Switch -- 3.5/5. I wish they would do an expanded version of this album as there are songs from that time released as taster singles which never appeared again. I do like some songs, Hungry stands out for me. That is pure INXS. Written only by Andrew, it has that INXS gift I love. The album is not bad at all. The ghost of Michael just hangs over the whole proceedings.

5. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Switch:

This one I didn't own until recently. I pretty much ignored it when it first came out due to me losing interest in the band around that time. I do recall hearing the songs: Afterglow, Devil's Party. & Pretty Vegas on the radio; As decent as they were, it just wasn't enough to motivate me to buy the album. Listening to it recently, it's okay, not exactly breaking any new ground from what I hear. Nonetheless, looking forward to the song by song analysis and perhaps give me a better insight on the album.

6. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

I was still indifferent towards INXS for continuing on without Michael Hutchence by this point. And I didn't even listen to Switch until the spring of 2006, nearly 6 months after it was released. It definitely grew on me. And despite the numerous outside songwriters involved and a few semi-good tunes and one clunker, I eventually accepted Switch for what it was and still is...a fairly solid classic pop rock INXS album. I also finally accepted JD Fortune as INXS' new lead singer, who, at least at the time, was clearly was the right man for the job. But to be honest, I'm still kind of ambivalent towards them continuing after MH passed. But it is what it is. Switch doesn't see INXS trying to experiment too much, nor does it attempt to do anything other re-introduce many of the classic elements that made INXS a household name nearly 2 decades prior - not that that's necessarily a bad thing. In fact, they wouldn't start experimenting until the next album...

On a commercial level, worldwide results varied quite a lot and the album wasn't even released in the UK/Europe until nearly a year later. But it was startling how successful Switch was in Canada, as it's now their 2nd biggest selling studio album, next to Kick. Not only were INXS filling/selling out arenas again, which they hadn't done here since the X tour in 1991, but they were out-grossing the Canadian markets they played on the Kick and X tours by around DOUBLE. And they wound up playing 31 shows here on their 2006-2007 Switched On tour - which is virtually unheard of for almost any artist, even domestic ones. And INXS played Vancouver 3 times. I saw them the 2nd time through on June 1, 2006, in front of nearly 11,000 fans at GM Place, and thoroughly enjoyed the show...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  7. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

My buddy tried to talk me into going to a show on this tour. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Devil's Party.

At the devil's party nothing's a sin
    At the devil's party we know where you've been
    If we're all right then tell me who's wrong
    The love in a war, where do we belong?

I might believe it's love, you might believe it's war

At the devil's party there's no light from the sun
    At the devil's party, now, life's a loaded gun
    More or less? No, less is more
    Go on and be my guest
    Where do we belong?

I might believe it's love, you might live a little more

Dreams of yours, dreams of mine
    Dreams of all that shine on the other side, on the other side

At the devil's party watch them stare in vain
    At the devil's party, now, you're no friend of mine
    Oh, lonely days of the road to excess
    When you're on fire you burn like the rest

I might believe it's love, and you might believe it's war
    Why don't we take a little less? Then we could live a little more

Dreams of yours, dreams of mine
    Dreams of all that breathe on the other side, on the other side

Songwriters: Andrew Keresztes / Guy Thomas
    Devil's Party lyrics © BMG Rights Management

This is fairly interesting musically, it has more of a horn section, than sax leads and licks.
    I think the melodic structure works pretty well.
    I think a few listens, and as a song this could probably work its way under my skin.

I am finding JD's vocals terribly distracting though.... it is the first time I have ever really heard this guy, and he just sounds like he is aping Michael, and that is kind of reducing this to feeling like I am in Vegas listening to an impersonator, rather than listening to the new album from some Aussie legends ... that may be a poor way of looking at it, but at this stage I can't help it.

There is nothing wrong with the song, but the vocal sounds like Michael by numbers, and it really isn't working for me.

9. Bluepicasso

Devil's Party 3/5. The lyrics seem to be written by a third grader. The music is okay, but it is wall paper music really.

10. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

I love the quick intro, variety of saxophone, horn accompaniments & rhythm guitar parts here - especially the interplay between the minor, minor 7th & minor 9th chords. Very melodic. JD sounds fantastic here. Lyrically, it's intriguing enough but it's certainly not a topic that hasn't been sung about before. Regardless, The Devil's Party is a classic pop rock song...

11. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

The opening Devil’s Party very much tries to replicate the Kick sound. The tight rhythm, saxophone lines, and overall sound is very reminiscent of the band’s earlier work; it’s not breaking new ground but that’s not the purpose of this album. It seems like a dark love song. I like it.

12. Melllvar

Devil's Party: It's catchy and it does have that INXS feel to it. Aside from channeling Micheal's voice, JD does a great job with his vocal delivery on this solid opening track.

13. mark winstanley

Afterglow.

[​IMG]
    Single by INXS
    from the album Switch
    Released
    25 April 2006
    Genre Bhangra, soft rock
    Length 4:09
    Label Epic
    Songwriter(s) Andrew Farriss, Desmond Child
    Producer(s) Guy Chambers

Released in April 2006 as the second single from the band's eleventh studio album, Switch.

Weekly charts

Chart (2006) Peak
    position

Australia (ARIA)[7] 24
    Canada (Canadian Singles Chart) 3
    US Billboard Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks 20

Here I am, lost in the light of the moon that comes through my window
    Bathed in blue, the walls of my memory divide the thorns from the roses
    It's you and the roses

Touch me and I will follow in your afterglow
    Heal me from all this sorrow
    As I let you go I will find my way when I see your eyes
    Now I'm living in your afterglow

Here I am, lost in the ashes of time, but who wants tomorrow?
    In between the longing to hold you again
    I'm caught in your shadow, I'm losing control
    My mind drifts away, we only have today

As I let you go I will find my way
    I will sacrifice 'til the blinding day when I see your eyes

When the veils are gone as I let you go, as I let you go

As I let you go I will find my way, I will sacrifice

Bathed in blue, the walls of my memory divide the thorns from the roses
    It's you who is closest

Songwriters: Desmond Child / Andrew Farriss
    Afterglow lyrics © Deston Songs Llc, Deston Songs, Llc

Here I find this a much more listenable song.... JD seems to be singing as himself here. I don't here this and think this is a Michael impersonator, he is delivering his own voice and in context with the song and its meaning it makes it all the more poignant, because in line with the lyrics, it is a believable vocal....
    How difficult it would be for someone to step into the shoes of a major rock star who has died, is something that only that person would feel..... and although it certainly happens, there are few people that have really ever experienced this....

This is co-written with Desmond Child, who was a big ticket writer in the late seventies and early eighties, and this track shows he hadn't lost his touch for writing hit quality material.

I think lyrically this touches the heart, and manages to share the kind of emotion one would expect in a situation like this. I think this is a thoughtful and expressive lyric that works.

Musically it is not a complex song, but i8t is extremely effective.
    The vocal delivery is tender and melodic and manages to capture the emotion required to sell this song and idea to me. This is probably the first track that I have heard so far that convinces me that this was a chance of being a worthwhile union.
    It doesn't sound like someone trying to sound like Inxs, it sounds like a good song, written and delivered in heartfelt manner, and achieving what anyone writing a song should be trying to achieve.

14. mark winstanley

15. Al Gator

The album’s first ballad, Afterglow, gives our new vocalist a chance to show a different side. He does well, but the song itself falls flat for me with a rather uninvolving melody.

Bluepicasso and mark winstanley like this.
  16. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The on-the-nose album title and cover image don't help matters.

17. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Afterglow is quite an emotionally-charged ballad. The dynamics here are spectacular. There's a perfect flow of uplifting qualities and rich vocal and musical instrumentation. Jon's polyrhythmic beats pop up temporarily and syncopation follows in the interlude, which adds a nice flavour to the track and thankfully, isn't over-done. These elements underscore the song incredibly well. Nothing to dislike here. And an obvious single choice...

ARK, Bluepicasso, Melllvar and 4 others like this.
  18. Melllvar

Afterglow:

I remember this song got some serious airplay on the local alternative station that I listened to at the time. I would say it's a pretty decent ballad. JD's vocal is great here and properly showcases his own style. The music well arranged and gives a great emotional lift to the lyrics. Granted it's not as memorable as Mystify or Never Tear Us Apart, but it's still a worthy effort for INXS 2.0.

19. mark winstanley

Hot Girls.

Looking out my window at some girl as I'm writing this
    And I watch her eat a peach, the way she's biting it, biting it
    And I probably shouldn't stare, but I am fighting it, fighting it
    And I think that she's aware and kind of liking it, liking it

Hot girls, they can break me, break me
    Hot girls, you know what you're doing
    Now, hot girls, come and break me, break me
    Hot girls, take me where you are going

On her motorbike, the way she's riding it, riding it
    And she says it feels so good but she is hiding it, hiding it
    Wet lips to cigarette and now she's striking it, lighting it
    As she looks me in the eye, hell, she must know she's inviting it

I've got nothing to prove, ain't got nothing to lose
    If you need someone to use, I can take the abuse

holding up some paper to her window, she's writing her name
    and number and I'm laughing as I'm dialing it, dialing it

I've got nothing to prove, ain't got nothing to lose
    If you need someone to use, I can take the abuse

Hot girls, hot girls, hot girls, hot girls

Songwriters: Lauren Christy / Graham Edwards / Scott Spock / Guy Antony Chambers / Andrew Charles Farriss
    Hot Girls lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group, BMG Rights Management, Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd.

We open with bass and a moderate beat , and a counter melody guitar comes in. A pretty steady start.

Here we have a straight up lust song, and it has quite a few hooks in there. I think the double word at the end of those verse lines works quite well, but mat perhaps become a little tiring after a few listens.
    The inserted voices before each verse are novel.
    One thing that I hear here that is quite striking to me at least, is they have gone for a pretty straight up hard rock chorus.

I like the dynamic between the verses and the chorus.

We get a sort of double bridge in the middle. The first one being a hard rock extension of the chorus. Then we get a short instrumental section with more girl noises, and then we get a more laid back bridge and we power into the outro choruses.

This is another pretty good song, but I get the impression that these days some folks will probably have trouble with the lyrics.

AndrewK, Melllvar, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  20. Al Gator

Hot Girls just doesn’t work for me at any level. Fortune can’t sell a raunchy song the way Michael could, and I really miss his vocals here.

21. mark winstanley

It is interesting to me that this has 5 writers.... I wonder if 4 did the lyrics?

Andrew has never really needed help putting the music together, so it just seems odd.

I don't think it's just the vocal delivery.... I can't see Michael really writing this, without leaving a bit of mystery in the lyrics.... I'm certainly not offended by the lyrics, but they seem more like lyrics I would expect from an eighties hard rock band .... and I can see the video that goes with that too.

It is disappointing, particularly with it having such a nice rock edge to it.

22. Bluepicasso

Afterglow 4/5. Interesting song, which Andrew wrote from the heart. Now, he was a true friend to Michael. Can't imagine what he feels like to this day that his partner is missing.

Hot Girls 3/5. Like the heaviness, but leaves me scratching my head that guys at their age were singing this...

23. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Hot Girls is quite possibly the WORST song in INXS' catalogue (Deliver Me is its only contender). I could barely get through it when I first heard it 15 years ago. And nothing has changed since then...

24. Melllvar

Hot Girls:

Yeahhhh this song. I do like the 80s throwback of it, however the song as a whole makes me cringe.

25. DanP

DanP Forum Resident

My two cents worth on Switch and the J.D. Fortune era: The most telling thing for me on Mark's leading post on the album is, when you look at the back cover there's a series of brands, the first being "INXS", then the various management and record labels. They are featured as a brand on the back cover of their own album.

I don't know the whole story and I didn't watch the show, but a friend had the CD and it seemed to me that INXS were essentially 'actors'. Someone had devised the idea of the show (I believe other singer-less bands featured in subsequent seasons?), there was an executive producer who cast various talent creators and devised the story arcs and, like most music based reality TV, the story's final act is the viewer then going to buy the record.

I'm sure the TV producers weren't being intentionally evil, but what's missing from a musical (as opposed to TV) point of view is the very important idea that a band is a purposeful autonomous creative entity. It feels to me that the band signed away their likeness and their creative independence and were basically agreeing to 'play' INXS.

I dug Pretty Vegas and especially Hungry and I actually saw them playing with Simple Minds up in the wine country north of Sydney (but our friends staked out an area way too far away from the stage so it wasn't much of a vibe), so there were some good tunes and he was a good (if hardly original) lead singer.

But I wasn't surprised to hear Fortune upset that the band apparently dropped him off at the airport after the tour with 10 bucks in his pocket: he was an actor and the play had finished, the circus had left town.

I dunno. I imagine it would be really hard to give it all away once you've tasted that level of success, so I can understand their reluctance to stop altogether, but this was all a bit corporate and 'brand synergy' for me.