INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Cod Reggae for $1000 Alex?

Bluepicasso and mark winstanley like this.
  2. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Like It Or Not. 3/5. Lyrics again. Pulsating song, reminds me of the faux-punk during that time.

3. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

The intro, which oddly reappears halfway through the song, is a total throwback to their quirky early '80s sounding recordings. I dig up-tempo feel, the hybrid of industrial distorted / acoustic guitar riffs & slide guitar parts in most of the bridges and choruses, as well as Kirk's completely unexpected sax solo. Though, if the lyrics weren't kind of cheesy, it would've made Like It Or Not even better. However, it's a cool track.

4. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Never Let You Go: We're going reggae and at first didn't care for it. However, on repeated listening, it's gelling with me. I like the laid back nature of it, but really doesn't feel like an INXS track.

Like it or Not:
    Nice groove on this one and has that classic INXS feeling to it. Save for the lyrics, it's pretty enjoyable overall.

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Us.

The world is always changing, you can see it every day
    But in a tragic situation you just can't hide yourself away
    So try a little kindness cause it sure can't be that hard
    You're shining in the darkness when you open up your heart

Your love is all we need to bring us together
    Don't leave it to me, nothing's for free, it comes down to us

Hungry babies on television, can you feel the shame?
    We've got to keep on giving to one another, 'cause it's all gonna happen again
    Why don't you try a little kindness cause it sure can't be that hard
    Just think about what binds us and find a new place to start

Don't leave it to me, nothing's for free, it comes down to us
    We're not indestructable, we're some kind of miracle
    Happens every day

Songwriters: Guy Chambers / Andrew Farriss
    Us lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Ltd., Emi Music Publishing Ltd, Kobalt Music Services Ltd Kms

Here we have a change up to an acoustic sounding track, and it opens up with the guitar and bass, keys in the background and a distant sound like a French horn?
    We ease into this song with the first verse setting the scene.

This is a nice enough lyric about making the world a better place.... not sure I like the way its set up.
    The chorus gets a little odd.... Your love is all we need to bring us together, don't leave it to me, nothings for free it comes down to us....
    I guess it's encouraging someone to join in the battle....
    Hungry babies on television, can you feel the shame? .... well no actually, I didn't create the situation, and as much as I hate it, why on earth is it my shame to feel. Does it make me feel bad, and helpless, sure. Is it my shame to feel? No, not really...

This is trying hard to be a song of great repair of the human spirit and the coming together of minds, in saving the world.... and it comes across as rather naive and I hate to say it, but preachy ....

Musically it is nice. The way the drums kick in for the first chorus is cool, and the dynamic between the verse and chorus is good. We get a nice instrumental bridge.
    It sounds and feels pretty good, and for the most part I like this, but the lyrics don't work for me....

6. Bluepicasso

Us - 3.5/5. Like this one, besides the lyrics. A mix of mid-70s Stones and a slight touch of funk. The Stones would never cover it, but I could see Mick and the rowdy boys do a great version of this. This would be great live by kicking it up a few notches and losing the pristine production.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  7. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

A song asking people to love and give, Us works much better than the previous track even though it’s got the same theme. It’s musically more compelling and the lyrics seem deeper.

8. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Us is a nice little pop rock / soul song with some cool verse / chorus / interlude transitions. And while it's nothing spectacular, especially considering the lyrics are somewhat generic, it's a good listen and a worthy edition to the album...

9. mark winstanley

God's Top Ten.

Romance is gone, he's drifting with the stars
    The lyric in his pocket, little girl in his heart
    When you hear his songs on the radio I don't need to tell you what you already know
    He's in God's top ten where heaven never ends

You saw the world and the world saw you on the stage
    Wild, wild, wild colonial boy
    Roquefort le pont
    Your gypsy heart is free, pictures on the wall of your family
    He's on God's top ten where heaven never ends
    He's on God's top ten

Baby's got mama's eyes, she was always beautiful
    When you hear his voice, feel his arms around you
    You remember momma smiling a daddy's little girl
    Bad weather, cold media storm
    He's on God's top ten where heaven never ends
    He's on God's top ten

Written by Andrew Farriss

Andrew wrote some lovely lyrics here. From the get go, there is no questioning what we are looking at here.
    The first line instantly tells us this is directly about Michael.
    The second line gives us certain attributes.... his lyrics have gone with him and his most precious earthly delight was his daughter.
    The second half of the verse gives us the connection we still have and then says He's in God's top ten..... I suppose in some ways the God's top ten is slightly corny, but I think the heartfelt first half of the verse softens that substantially, and it works.

The second verse speaks to some of Michael's characteristics... The touring the world and the fame, a very Australian reference to the Wild Colonial Boy....
    I am not sure what the Roquefort le pont reference is... A place in France ... is this where the lifechanging taxi incident occurred?

The third verse is a comfort for Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily ... When you hear his voice feel his arms around you, is probably the most significant line in the whole song.... sure we lost the singer in a band we like/love, but she lost her daddy ....
    Bad weather, cold media storm is a distinct reminder of what trash the media are, and how they dealt with this situation in such a dishonest and heartless way, when we consider that this was a loved family man, not just some celebrity.... the empty void of celebrity has a lot to answer for and the leaches need to be burned off.

We open with this pulsing kick sound, then a piano sound with an airy delay/reverb comes in with a suitably ghostly sound.
    A really effective, but low mixed feedback sound comes in, and an acoustic rolls through the chords, with a flanger/chorus on there softening it somewhat.

Suzie McNeil opens the vocals, and I like her voice and delivery. She was one of the contestants on the rockstar show.
    JD takes the second verse and sings in a more natural and less affected vocal.
    The third verse has them both singing.

We close out with a wall of atmosphere, and it is an appropriate way to close out the song and the album.

This is among the best songs on the album, if not the best, and I think it is the genuineness of the song that wins me over here.

10. mark winstanley

I have to be honest, and say that this album is a bit annoying to me....
    It shows the band could well have gone on and made some great music, but it comes across as a corporate takeover here.
    The show? yea that is an influence in that feeling, but it is actually the team songwriters.... Andrew never needed the team to get his songs done.... and there is something calculated about many of these songs... it isn't that they are bad as such, they just sound in many instances to be calculated pop songs...... and I think it takes the organic element of Inxs out of the equation and it feels like any group of musicians could have been paid to put this together.
    With the last thought in mind it brings me to JD ... there is nothing wrong with this guys voice, and when he is singing as himself I can enjoy his singing, but too often for me, he is doing a Michael impersonation, and it is extremely off putting to me.

Even the last song on the album, which is a beautiful heartfelt song from Andrew feels like a corporate formula calculation .... now don't get me wrong I like it, the heart of it shines through, but the Rockstar logo shines through in the way they chose to do it. Two of the stars of the show singing it, and each getting equal airtime .... Again don't get me wrong, they both do a good job on it, but it is all tainted for me by the business that has all the strings in their hands.

So in the end this ends up being the most disappointing album by far for me..... and it leaves me feeling like the band should have just moved on. Inxs Rockstar, from my perspective was a really bad decision, and although they got some good results from it, I think that it has tainted the bands legacy in a very deep and real way, because too many people in the music buying world just weren't familiar with the band's music prior to Kick......

Kick was a heck of a pop album...... but X made it look like the band was a one trick pony to the broader public, and then the tragedy of Michael's death leading to Rockstar was pretty much the nail in the coffin.....
    It seems like the band have fallen off the face of the earth for the majority, and those factors seem to be the main contributors.....
    To give you an example .... We started this thread about eight months ago..... This is still the most recent addition of Inxs on the forum.... including sales in the classifieds.... I have never had that happen. Normally I will need to scroll to find the thread among the myriad of threads about a band.....
    We have a had a very good participation rate on this thread for an Australian band (and I thank you all very much) but for a band with one of the top selling albums of all time, not so much.....

It makes me extremely sad that Inxs seem to have just about wiped themselves from the musical map in the majority of people's lives.... I hope one day the broader public will revisit the band and discover the music they made, because it is an excellent catalog of music, and we all know that they were more than just a cog in the corporate machine, but sadly the tv show seems to have alienated them from their rightful recognition.

11. Bluepicasso

God's Top Ten -- 5/5. The songs written alone by Andrew show INXS could have done a great album again by themselves without the corporate team. I find it so disheartening they went this route. I bought this when it came out, but I have only fully listened to it again here. Hungry, I would listen to here and then.

Suicide/early death is one of life's worst tragedies. The problem is over for the person who does it, but more problems arise after -- for here, the band were lost, their families were in chaos, and all that hard work is left for people to ignore it seems. People only see the glitz, the glam, the luxury life of a rock star, well then, and people ignore the hours of rehearsal, the boredom of travel, leaving home, twats in the audience, finding a persona. Those are all extremely hard. Anyone working a normal job to be placed in that would run away after a few days. To have that fame evaporate must be disheartening to the guys in the band as they were still relatively young.

At least they stopped after the album "Original Sin" which I never bought or even listened to. Perhaps more due to Tim's accident, I don't know in the inner workings.

12. mark winstanley

Reference guide

1980 -1992

1992 Documentary

1993 Get Out Of The House EP

Nov 1993 Full Moon Dirty Hearts

Days Of Rust
    The Gift - video - ext. - bonus beat
    Make Your Peace
    Time - video - live
    I'm Only Looking - remix - video -Morales
    Please... - edit - club - dub - downtown - instr. - Letterman
    Full Moon, Dirty Hearts
    Freedom Deep - video -extended - live
    Kill The Pain - video
    Cut Your Roses Down - Sure Is Pure mix
    The Messenger
    Viking Juice - Butcher Mix

Born To Be Wild
    alt tracklisting
    Promo tour clips
    MTV Asia interview

Live in 1993

Oct 1994 The Greatest Hits
    The Strangest Party - live - remix
    Deliver Me - demo

Sing Something (bside)

Nov 1994 The Great Video Experience

Keep The Peace

1995 Original Sin remixes

Michael Soundtrack songs 95/96
    Under My Thumb
    Baby Lets Play House
    The Passenger
    Spill the Wine

Red Hill
    The Heads - The King Is Gone

Apr 1997 Elegantly Wasted
    Show Me
    Elegantly Wasted - radio edit - Shagsonic - dub - Gforce - Aspen
    Everything - video - May 97 - Aspen - Jaxx club - Jaxx dub
    Don't Lose Your Head - Leadstation - Radio Edit - Tonight Show
    Searching - Arias - Leadstation main - Leadstation Radio - Reece - Campbell - Leadstation Funk, video
    I'm Just A Man - live
    Girl On Fire - mix
    We Are Thrown Together
    Shake The Tree
    She Is Rising
    Building Bridges
    Shine

Let It Ride
    Never Tear Us Apart acoustic
    Need You Tonight Aspen

Live 1997

Live In Aspen

Tour Rehearsals

Michael

June 1999 Inxs with TTD

Dec 1999 Michael Hutchence (the album)
    Let Me Show You

Possibilities
    Get On The Inside
    Fear
    All I'm Saying
    A Straight Line
    Baby It's Alright
    Don't Save Me From Myself
    She Flirts For England
    Flesh and Blood
    Put The Pieces Back Together
    Breathe
    Slide Away

b-side Standing On A Rooftop

June 2001 Shine Like It Does Anthology

Precious Heart - vs Tall Paul

I'm So0 Crazy - vs Par-T-One

June 2002 The Best Of Inxs
    Salvation Jane
    Tight - mix - mix 2

Oct 2002 Stay Young 1979-1982
    Telefone
    Silent Night
    Breakaway
    Reckless Ways
    Pretzel Logic
    Feeling Good
    Miss Shapiro/You Really Got Me
    On A Bus
    Underneath the Colours ( Chicken Mix)

The Farriss Brothers - Live at the Alley Cat Wine Bar 1979
    Lucky Key Ring
    Jet Airliner/ Slipped My Disco

Oct 2002 Definitive

Dec 2002 The Years 79-97 cd and dvd

Apr 2004 The Remixes

Sept 2004 Original Sin The Collection

Jul 2005 The TV Show

Kick Deluxe and special editions 1989-2017
    Mediate live in US
    Never Tear Us Apart live in US
    Kick live in US
    Jesus Was A Man
    The Trap
    Different World 7" and 12"
    Mystify Chicago demo
    Move On ( Guitar /version)
    Never Tear Us Apart (soul version)
    Need You Tonight (big bump mix)
    Calling All Nations ( kids on bridges mix)

Sept 2005 Pretty Vegas

Oct 2005 Live At Barker Hangar
    Communication

Days Of Rust
    The Gift
    The Loved One
    Cut Your Roses Down
    Taste It
    Need You Tonight
    Mediate
    Full Moon Dirty Hearts
    Please
    Suicide Blonde
    I Send A Message
    All Around
    What You Need
    New Sensation
    Kick
    Devil Inside
    Heaven Sent
    Time
    The Messenger

Nov 2005 Switch
    Pretty Vegas
    Devil's Party
    Afterglow
    Hot Girls
    Perfect strangers - video
    Remember Who's Your Man
    Hungry
    Never Let You Go - video
    Like It Or Not
    Us
    God's Top Ten

13. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Yep. That pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

The title of the song “Gods Top Ten” is a callback to the lyrics of “Here Comes” from Shabooh Shoobah, but unfortunately there’s nothing in common besides that.

14. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Mark covered my feelings well, both about God's Top Ten and the album. It's the best song on the album, and a rather powerful closing track.

This is where I jumped off the INXS bandwagon. Switch simply wasn’t compelling enough for me to maintain an interest in the band. I’ve never heard its follow-up.

15. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

It's definitely a drag, but in many ways they're not alone. Not to bring up the dreaded comparisons yet again but many of INXS's contemporaries have dropped out of the general public's consciousness in a similar way.

I think the bottom line is that you can only do so much to influence the trajectory of your legacy.

16. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

God's Top Ten is definitely the most emotionally compelling song from Switch. Instrumentally & lyrically, it truly pulls at the heartstrings more than any other track. I like idea of Suzie McNeil & JD Fortune singing dual lead vocals - a very nice touch. Whether it's the simple melodies, the acoustic guitar & piano accompaniments, etc., they all fit together seamlessly. My only complaint is that it feels like the song should've been longer, especially the fade out, partly because of its extremely emotional nature. Regardless, I think Michael Hutchence would've been proud of it. GTT is a perfect way to close out the album.

Switch, more than any other INXS album, divides the fanbase. Not only because some fans didn't like INXS continuing on without MH, but also because they were utilizing several outside songwriters for the first time, something Andrew perhaps needed to do since he was so used to writing with MH (?), coupled with the fact that some of the material isn't necessarily as strong as most of their other output is. Considering that, these factors are all perfectly understandable anyway you slice it. And while I probably like Switch more than most here do (though, like I stated before, it took me awhile to get to that point), I partly agree with the sentiments expressed by many fans in this thread. Overall, Switch is at least, a competent INXS album. And at best, it's a mostly solid pop rock record, combining the most popular elements that made them a household name 15-20 years beforehand. Commercially, Switch was probably the most polarizing album of their career, greatly succeeding (especially the 2006-2007 Switched On tour - their 2nd highest grossing tour) but also failing in different parts of the world. But what INXS released next in 2010, was and still is, puzzling to me. But I'm sure we'll get to that album shortly...

Here are my song ratings for Switch...

Switch ~ 3.86/5

The Devil's Party ~ 4.5/5
    Pretty Vegas ~ 4.5/5
    Afterglow ~ 4.5/5
    Hot Girls ~ 2/5
    Perfect Strangers ~ 4/5
    Remember Who's Your Man ~ 3.5/5
    Hungry ~ 4/5
    Never Let You Go ~ 4/5
    Like It Or Not ~ 3.5/5
    Us ~ 3.5/5
    God's Top Ten ~ 4.5/5

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Maybe they're not as forgotten as we think -- I see there's an INXS tribute band coming to a small nearby venue this fall.

Bluepicasso and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

God's Top Ten: This song is simply a beautiful, well written tribute to Micheal. It's definitely the highlight on the album. The music is great with its atmosphere that pairs nicely with the lyrics. Susie and JD's vocals add an emotional push to the song overall. If I have to nitpick, I would agree with Mark on the corporate/committee nature of the song. Despite that, I still find the song enjoyable and it's a fitting closer to the album.

Switch (Revisited): After a few listens, still feeling pretty mixed about it. There are some good songs and some that could use more work. It did give me the impression that band was ready to move on; Just wished the album was put together more organically without the reality show involvement. Nonetheless, Switch is an okay listen that leaves me satisfied.

19. mark winstanley

Taste It: The Collection

[​IMG]
    Compilation album by
    INXS
    Released
    Recorded 1990–97
    Genre Rock
    Label Mercury Records
    Spectrum Music
    Producer Chris Thomas
    INXS
    Mark Opitz
    Bruce Fairbairn
    Andrew Farriss

1. "Bitter Tears"
    2. "Faith in Each Other"
    3. "Who Pays the Price"
    4. "Hear That Sound"
    5. "Shining Star"
    6. "Taste It"
    7. "All Around"
    8. "Wishing Well"
    9. "Strange Desire"
    10. "Please (You Got That...)" (featuring Ray Charles)
    11. "Kill the Pain"
    12. "I'm Only Looking"
    13. "Cut Your Roses Down"
    14. "The Strangest Party (These Are the Times)"
    15. "Don't Lose Your Head"
    16. "Shake the Tree"
    17. "Girl on Fire"
    18. "We Are Thrown Together"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a compilation of latter day Hutchence Inxs songs.
    It's a pretty good collection of tracks, but at this stage it feels like too many compilations have come out

ARK, Melllvar and Al Gator like this.
  20. mark winstanley

INXS ‎– Platinum: Greatest Hits
    Genre: Rock
    Style: Pop Rock
    Year: 2010

[​IMG]

Suicide Blonde 3:52
    Heaven Sent 3:18
    By My Side 3:06
    Bitter Tears 3:54
    Mystify 3:18
    Full Moon Dirty Hearts 3:54
    Baby Don't Cry 4:45
    Please (You Got That...) 3:11
    The Loved One 3:36
    Beautiful Girl 3:27
    Never Tear Us Apart 3:06
    Disappear 4:06
    Not Enough Time 4:21
    Devil Inside 5:13
    Need You Tonight 3:04
    New Sensation 3:39

2010 sees another compilation of latter day Inxs tracks

I guess it was only available on a streaming or download basis or something, but there was an addition to this available called Seriously Live, with these tracks

17. “Burn for You” (Live)
    18. “Faith in Each Other” (Live)
    19. “Guns in the Sky” (Live)
    20. “Communication” (Live)
    21. “Mystify” (Live)
    22. “Original Sin” (Live)
    23. “One By One” (Live)
    24. “Hear that Sound” (Live)
    25. “I Send a Message” (Live)
    26. “What You Need” (Live)
    27. “Wild Life” (Live)
    28. “The Stairs” (Live)
    29. “This Time” (Live)
    30. “I’m Just a Man” (Live)
    31. “Searching” (Live)
    32. “Bitter Tears” (Live)
    33. “To Look at You” (Live)
    34. “In Vain” (Live)
    35. “Just Keep Walking” (Live)
    36. “Spy of Love” (Live)
    37. “Black and White” (Live)
    38. “Jan’s Song” (Live)
    39. “By My Side” (Live)
    40. “The Loved One” (Live)
    41. “Elegantly Wasted” (Live)
    42. “New Sensation” (Live)

ARK likes this.
  21. mark winstanley

INXS ‎– Six Pack
    Label: INXS ‎– none, Ultrastar ‎– none
    Format: CD, EP, Club Edition
    Released: Dec 2008
    Genre: Rock, Pop
    Style: Pop Rock

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1 Smoking Gun Written-By – J. Farriss* 4:14
    2 Citizen Pain Written-By – G. Beers* 4:06
    3 Humans Try Written-By – K. Pengilly* 5:10
    4 Just An A Written-By – T. Farriss* 3:06
    5 Before You Leave Written-By – A. Farriss* 3:19
    6 Cigarettes & Cocaine Written-By – J.D. Fortune 2:37
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In 2008 there was apparently this mini LP ... I can't say I have ever heard of it, but tomorrow we will start looking through these tracks and see what we have here.

If you know the story behind this one, please fill us in on the details

Cheers
    Mark

ARK and twicks like this.
  22. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Very interesting that a compilation of ONLY 1990-1997 material exists. Lots of good songs on here, but it’s missing The Gift and Time.

mark winstanley likes this.
  23. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Six Pack (fan club CD 2008)

INXS send fans early Christmas present

I’ve never heard it, but here’s a blurb from the link above:

For JD Fortune fans, eager to hear his soon-to-be released album ‘The Death Of A Motivational Speaker’, the JD track is an acoustic version of ‘Cigarettes & Cocaine’ from the album.

The Fortune song was the first song he wrote for his album.

‘Six Pack’ was for registered fans of the INXS fanclub and will not be released to the general public. It was late…3am. I was being honest. Hope you enjoy this early take demo of the track,” he said.

So now I’m confused: is the JD Fortune track on this INXS CD a plug for his solo album?

ARK and mark winstanley like this.
  24. mark winstanley

It looks more like the Inxs gig was a convoluted way of introducing the singer to the pop world, standing back and looking at it...
    None of it makes much sense to me

25. RyanX

RyanX and get the priest as well

it looks like it was a solo song from each member of the band

ARK and mark winstanley like this.