INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Her name is Cathy and yes that's Michael and that's about all I know. The b-side coming up next Long in Tooth is a great song I think and would've fit on the album.

dirkster and mark winstanley like this.
  2. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Spy of Love is really good, with its angular guitar breakouts on top of that deep bass and the catchy chorus. It sounds diffferent from what's come before. And Soul Mistake definitely looks forward to the controlled explosiveness of Kick; I can hear the seeds of Devil Inside here. But it stands well on its own. These are two very good tracks.

3. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

?? Is “shabooh shoobah” an onomatopoeia for one of the bass lines? I don’t know the origin of this album title. Do tell please.

4. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Like with the first two tracks, Andrew has this Caribbean / New Wave-ish sound developing, but it's accentuated in Spy Of Love. And Jon's nuanced percussion parts play right into this. This combination is absolutely brilliant and totally enhances the song. And it's another track without much guitar interplay but yet it works so well. For anyone interested, as far as I know, the original releases on vinyl, cassette & CD, include eight more seconds than the 2011 Universal remastered CD, with part of one of the verses repeated during the fade out...

Soul Mistake might be my favourite song from SS. Everything just pops! Tim's staccato/legato hybrid verse guitar riff sets the stage before the bridge, and then things shift and stretch out into two perfectly-executed staccato/legato hybrid lead guitar riffs, during the bridge and when the chorus hits, while Michael's singing compliments them and then they meet without hesitation. This is simply one of the best pop/rock songs EVER written. In fact, it's one of my top 5 favourite songs from ANY era. It definitely should've been a single. Too bad INXS stopped playing it after the Kick/Calling All Nations tour. Absolutely perfect! :righton:

5. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Well I googled it myself and here’s what I got from a posting on Facebook:

“So where does the phrase ‘Shabooh Shoobah’ come from? It came about in the early stages of recording the track ‘Spy Of Love’ which was written by Michael Hutchence & Tim Farriss. Tim began singing the phrase as a rhythmic chant as the band played. Even once Michael had written lyrics, the phrase stuck in the bands minds and it became the album title.

“They had all these really strict rules about their music. They were very determined to be different from all the four-on-the-floor pub rock bands, and they’d always be saying things like ‘We don’t do guitar solos’ – (Producer Mark Opitz)”

Never stop learning, :)

6. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Or “Just to Learn Again.” :laugh:

dirkster and mark winstanley like this.
  7. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

watch at exactly 35 minutes in

8. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Ok, i'm glad to comment about INXS, as this is my entry point into the band.
    I heard 'the one thing' on a local AOR (album oriented rock) station, and it
    immediately got my attention, this was in 1983 in the US, so we got it much
    later than other countries.

the thing that cemented it as being a classic, and my favorite song from them,
    (with 'dont change' as being second). was the great remix of it. which they
    also played on the radio. i thought maybe it was the album version, becuase
    i really didn't know about remixes at that time.

******************** NOTE : To collectors
    by the way, i still don't have this song on many of the formats,
    as its hard to find the australian 12 inch, and other releases.

i saw that the wikipedia listing says there is a CD-single, but
    i checked on discogs, so i think that it doesn't exist, unless
    there was a boxset or re-release of it.

so if anyone knows, and where it's from please post it,
    because i sure can't find out anything about it.
    =============================================

which leads to the next thing.

the impact of the one thing remix was huge, it was on the 'dekadance' US EP, which i got
    right away, and played to death.

also on the radio, it was probably one of the first 12 inch remixes i have ever heard and bought,
    along with Duran Duran - union of the snake, and also Planet P- Why me (which i bought much later),
    but taped off the radio.

i'm not sure, but would i have become a music collector if i hadn't heard or bought it, i might have
    about 3000+ cd singles, and 12 inches now. so maybe i can blame INXS for getting me into the
    dance remixes, ha ha.

anyways, i didn't have the 12 inch mix on cd until i bought this compilation:
    -------
    Various - Retro:Active3 (Rare & Remixed)
    [​IMG]
    Various ‎– Retro:Active3 (Rare & Remixed)
    Label:
    Hi-Bias Records ‎– HIB-10262
    Series:
    Retro:Active – 3
    Format:
    CD, Compilation, Limited Edition, Remastered
    Canada
    Released:
    04 Jan 2005
    Genre:
    Electronic, Rock
    Style:
    New Wave, Pop Rock, Synth-pop

Tracklist
    4 –INXS The One Thing (Extended Mix) 6:08

[​IMG]

to this day, i still don't think they've released the extended mix on one of their cd's.

later

9. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i didn't originally warm up to this song at first. it has an unusual structure,
    and sequence that i didn't like. but in the end its a good song, and fits in
    well with the album.

its a much darker song that most of the other ones on the album too.

and this is why i like the 12 inch versions, this was on DEKADANCE also, the vinyl,
    (not the original cassette version).

and it transforms the song into a better and different version, that i listened to a lot more
    than the original.

later

10. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i love this song, and i do think it could have been a great single,
    but it does take awhile to get started, and then it slows down again.

its a really cool intro, that builds, but yes a remix would have been
    very cool. i wish there was more remixes from this album, and that
    dekadance was really 10 tracks instead of 4.

this is one of my favorite songs from them, but there are so many from
    this album, its hard to tell them all apart. they do sound different and
    have different feels to them, but this is definitely a song that has the
    'inxs' stamp on it thats unique to them.

i don't know if any of their other songs even have this sound to it.

another highlight from this album.

later

11. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

There are so many great songs on this album, and they all flow together so well.
    i've listened to these songs so many times, i don't even pay attention to the song
    names. although 'soul' is used in the song.

they lyrics are great, and there's a driving beat to it, and there are so many killer
    guitar hooks, and vocals turns.

another brilliant song for this album. they must have paid attention to the
    tracklisting and the order in which they wanted the songs to go in. so far
    side 1 is very upbeat, and everything works together great.

later

12. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

"The One Thing" is where I came in to knowing INXS. I was 9 and living in Florida when it was released as a single. It started getting major airplay and I was hooked right away, even to the point to where I started playing live with the synth parts on the radio with my violin (I was classically trained as a violinist at the time and my music teacher "frowned" on me playing anything Rock, so I would play along to records outside of lessons).

Then I saw the music video when it was on MTV and became even more drawn in to the band. My first reaction to seeing Michael in the video was that he reminded me of a young Mick Jagger and I was intrigued enough at that point to go out and buy Shabooh Shoobah on vinyl.

13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

If I remember rightly the next album gives us mix up heaven.

We will be covering deka-dance ...

14. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

INXS was one of those few bands at the intersection of a lot of circles on the “musical taste Venn diagram”. New wave and alternative without being labeled as “sell-outs”. They rocked HARD but could also write dance songs and turn them into club hits via remixes. In college, they seemed to me to be one of a very few bands that most people would say “yeah, they’re cool” about. I think we are seeing that with some of these comments about the Shabooh Shoobah album tracks and singles.

ARK, pablo fanques, Al Gator and 6 others like this.
  15. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Excellent point.

Despite the fact I'm skipping ahead, I'd like add that once certain rock artists start introducing more danceable elements like funk into their music, like INXS did more prominently one year later with The Swing, it tends to divide or turn off a large portion of their fanbase for obvious reasons. Though, in INXS' case, even though funk rock, for the most part, became the basic foundation of their music from this point forward, they were still consistently stylistically diverse. And without seemingly caring or worrying about losing fans in the process - which of course didn't really start happening for them overall until after X finished its run in 1991. In other words, INXS were fearless. I know I'll expound on this later in this thread, but I think it is important to point out...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  16. mark winstanley

I had never considered that. Very sharp point. Spot on.

ARK, dirkster and Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD like this.
  17. mark winstanley

All the best bands are

Well stated

18. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

There is that version called Dance and the later cassette version

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    mark winstanley likes this.
  19. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

dance was just a 12 inch, with 1 mix on it of black and white.
    (so it was just the 12 inch for that)

the other dekadance, only had 6+1 (jackson) songs from the swing,
    so i'm not even sure why they called it that, and they
    weren't mixes either.

the novelty was just getting different covers to make up a picture.

later

20. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

They were remixes on the cassette

ARK, mark winstanley and Bluepicasso like this.
  21. mark winstanley

Hopefully we will get the info on the various versions when we get to them. I will try and make sure I get them all.

ARK, Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD and negative1 like this.
  22. mark winstanley

Here Comes

We heard the alternate b-side already, and this is the version that made the album obviously.
    This is a cool track, but it is one of the songs on here that took a few more listens to sink in, or breakthrough, if you like.

We have a bit of an atmospheric thing, a bit of a whistle. A kick and a guitar arpeggio come in, and the song launches itself off.

Here comes the rationalization
    Here comes the song I know
    There's a change of weather coming
    There's a change in me and you

I found some questions to the answers
    The dancing flames of romances

Freedom is intoxicating
    It's a lizard in your hand
    Don't you worry about the future
    I need some in my plan

Here comes my kamikaze
    Here comes God's top ten
    Nothing to be done to stop it
    Nothing to get in its way

Source: LyricFind
    Songwriters: Andrew Charles Farriss / Michael Hutchence
    Here Comes II lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

We have a nice steady beat and the vocal is phrased nicely over the top. As the chorus comes in we get a cool melody come in, and the double time vocals work really well to draw the listener in.
    The phrasing of the vocal here is really what draws me into the first half of the song.
    The music is really well put together, and the groove is excellent, but it almost feels, at times, that the music and the vocals are clashing a little. I think that is why I enjoyed the remix so much.

I'm not knocking the song, I like the song, but I'm kind of trying to dig through that, to some degree.

I really like the arrangement of the guitar, the choppy, part rhythm, part riff styling is excellent. The rhythm section is right on the money again, and the little keyboard flourish at the end of the chorus vocal is excellent.

The instrumental section with the nice little lead is a really nice touch and I think it lifts the song up quite a bit. It almost seems like there isn't enough difference between the musical arrangement of the chorus and the verse here, but that doesn't make it right or wrong.

Look I do really like this song, but so far it would be a slightly lesser song than those prior, and I guess in hunting for why that is, I see these minor little bits and pieces that could well be the contributors to that.

So this ends up being a pretty good album track, but not up to the level of the first four tracks for me.

23. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Here Comes 4/5. Just slightly below the first four, but by no means a bad song. Love how it builds. Good transfer of energy track.

24. James in NY

James in NY Forum Resident

Ironic to see this since I just picked up the GH brand new as part of a 3 for $15 deal at the former record shop in the mall (they basically now have four cardboard dumps of CDS and a ton of merch associated with anything but music).
    I picked it up because I had been thinking about "What You Need" recently. After a first spin this might be "All I Need." I'd never checked out their albums back in the day and based on my first spin of the GH I don't think I will.
    Hey. To each their own.

25. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Here Comes races along, but to my ears it’s not a standout track. It doesn’t have a great melody and feels a little generic overall. Not bad but not a favorite.