INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I think this is the worst song on the album and one of their worst songs in their discography. The drum sound is awful. Very repetitive and I can't say much good about it other than I like the title "The Swing" sounds intriguing like "The Stairs" but at least that's a great song.

2. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

I'm on the other side of the fence here. The Swing is tribal, gritty, and chaotic (not quite as chaotic as Red Red Sun, which we'll get to, but in that realm of things). I actually *like* that The Swing doesn't really go anywhere as that's the total intent of it. I think because I see this album as a bit of dark and light sided piece. Side 1 being (mostly) more agressive and urgent, while side 2 is a bit more mellow and reflective. Placement of The Swing being the perfect transition between the sides and Johnson's Aeroplane being a perfect kickoff for the next part of the ride.

3. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

The Swing (the song)

So opinions range all the way from “Awesome!” to “meh” to “worst song on the album”. Well count me in on “awesome”.

I like a track that comes in and announces its presence with some authority: It’s the swing!! Bam!! Into never-never land! Yeah - now THAT’S how you do it.

I think they missed an opportunity here to make this side 1 track 1 of the LP. Imagine buying the new INXS album The Swing and then laying down the platter and hearing this quickly buildup in the fade-in. It’d be a very “meta” moment, similar to when Wilco’s self-titled album started off with “Wilco (The Song)” roughly 25 years later.

4. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

I dig everything about The Swing. This is a very important song for them, as it was the first time INXS announced to the world that they knew how to rock hard AND swing with funky, danceable beats. It doesn't really matter if the traditional verse/chorus/bridge structures aren't necessarily in place here (which I gather is what some posters here are referring to when they say the song doesn't go anywhere?), because I think Andrew & Kirk's distorted guitar riffs & Jon's driving rhythms/beats ARE the central focus and what makes the song work. I also love the short semi-industrial/electronic instrumental interlude that slowly morphs back into the chorus. The Swing was last played on the last few months of the Kick/Calling All Nation tour. And I wish they would've kept it in the setlists, or brought it back at some point because it's one of my all time favourite INXS songs! :righton:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  5. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

6. heyday2day

heyday2day Forum Resident

"The Swing" is a 4/5 for what it is but it's a 5/5 for what it does. Yeah, the drum sound, really the cymbal crashes could be stronger, it's simple, etc but it grinds and drives like a relentless motor with somewhere to get to fast. The crashing drums, skanking guitars and the volume swells that accompanies the "into my life" parts always moved me. Also love when it kicks into double time. Still moves me....yeah, 5/5 here.

pablo fanques, FLF, Al Gator and 2 others like this.
  7. heyday2day

First time I've seen it. The Rotterdam clip is the second. He's sure high up in the mix!

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Johnson's Aeroplane

We open with a beautiful string arrangement, and roll into a solid beat

Four long lines one darker than the rest
    Each one has a purpose, making borders on the land
    Farmer's pride you know he works real hard
    From a small aeroplane you can see the fields

Heart shaped hedges
    Japanese gardens
    Heart shaped hedges
    Japanese gardens

Ah, ah, ah, ah
    A place to work and grow
    A place to work and grow
    Ah, ah, ah, ah
    A place to work and grow
    A place to work and grow

Four long years one leaner than the rest
    The animals are thin and the pastures dry
    Farmer's pride if the weather doesn't lie
    From a small aeroplane you can see the sea
    Lot's of blue
    Very deep blue

Ah, ah, ah, ah
    A place to work and grow
    A place to work and grow
    Ah, ah, ah, ah
    A place to work and grow
    A place to work and grow

Johnson sees the fields from all the sides
    Steel machines and black tar roads
    Countryside where the spirit never dies
    In his face all the history shows
    Farmer's pride as the rains came down

Ah, ah, ah, ah
    A place to work and grow
    A place to work and grow

Ah, ah, ah, ah
    A place to work and grow
    A place to work and grow

Heart shaped hedges
    Japanese gardens
    Heart shaped hedges
    Japanese gardens
    Heart shaped hedges
    Japanese gardens
    Heart shaped hedges
    Japanese Gardens

Ah, ah, ah, ah
    A place to work and grow
    A place to work and grow
    Ah, ah, ah, ah

Songwriters: Andrew C. Farriss
    Johnson's Aeroplane lyrics © Mca Music Publishing, A.d.o. Universal S

Lyrically I kind of assume that the band had been hearing about the droughts and such across Australia, and in the lyrics we get some hints towards this. The song seems essentially to be about the honest, hard work that is the farmer's lot. Australia is a very dry continent/country/island and so farmer's frequently struggle with the land. I think we get an excellent lyrics here, though I am not sure where the Heart Shaped Hedges, Japanese Gardens come from, except perhaps the recent visit to Japan.

I think Michael lays down a wonderful vocal here. It is somewhat understated in many ways, but it fits in with the song beautifully.

Musically this is simply excellent. In a lot of popular music strings, and strings sounds are very often just aural padding, but here they are an intricate part of the arrangement, driving a melody here, and adding a counter melody and harmony there, I think they just work really well, and never give me the feeling they are tacked on for effect.
    The bulk of the song is pumped along by the bass and the drums, and as we roll along, all the instruments work to colour in sections, that again show how well the band arranged their songs.
    Just before the second verse we get out first glimpse of the guitar, and it comes in beautifully and is extremely effective. We have this sliding flanged guitar, that is heavily saturated, and extremely effective, and it is the economy of use that makes it so effective.

We come out of "A place to work and grow" into a really good sax lead break. During the sax break the guitar returns to punch in some very effective double hit chords, again nothing too much, just the right amount of flavour to set the song off.

Another little thing that has a big effect for me is when we get the line "Farmer's Pride As The Rains Came Down", although I did always think it was "Farmer cried...", but this section gets this beautiful drum fill, that has a sort of reverb or delay effect that gives it a sort of rolling thunder sound, and it fits beautifully.

We move into a break down that is wholly percussive and has the "Heart Shaped Hedges" chant. Again I personally find this terribly effective. Another thing to point out here is the really very effective backing vocals as well. They have been rolling along with the song all the way through, but here they show the value of their use in the song..

Even the end of the song is super effective. We get the "A Place To Work And Grow" vocal, and the final work and grow slows up and we get almost a surprise kind of finish, with the strings doing a descending run, that pulls us out of the song as effectively as they drew us in.

I will often state that this is my favourite Inxs song, and perhaps it isn't, because favourite is never really cut and dried for me, but this track is a really solid favourite of mine. It manages to capture a palpable melancholy, but it also manages to incorporate that with a beautiful sense of striving and hope. the melodies, and counter melodies, the arrangement, the economical playing, the theme. I love everything about this song, and it will always sit very highly in my Inxs favourite songs list.

9. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Johnson’s Aeroplane makes me think of Depeche Mode (although the sax gives it that INXS sound) and they get a great feeling on this one. It’s a superb track, one of my favorite INXS songs, and one that makes me want to turn up the volume. Very well constructed and extremely memorable.

10. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Johnson's Aeroplane. 5/5. My favorite track on the album, and one of their best to me. Always gets me moving. Mentioned this before, but I wish they experimented in this vein more. Everything works in this song and pushes the band in new directions.

11. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

It is a very moving song. It just sounds so different compared to other songs of the time period.

12. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Johnson’s Aeroplane

I love this song. So thoughtful and well-composed. The strings are integrated into the song, for the 2nd time on this album. They return on Kick’s “Never Tear Us Apart” in full effect, but I’m not sure if there are any on Listen Like Thieves or not - the Fairlight synthesizer can trick my ears sometimes. The melancholy feel of this track with “a place to work and grow” and “heart shaped hedges, Japanese gardens” lines is beautiful.

I mentioned at the outset of this album’s discussion that I didn’t like the bass sounds on the album - that it seemed to lack a “bottom” compared to the albums before and after it. However, the bass playing and the bass parts themselves on this album are outstanding and really carry a lot of melody and hookworthy lines. More than any other INXS album I think the bass lines are real standouts on The Swing. It just feels like they got de-emphasized a little in the overall mix.

Are we also discussing the alternate version of this song on the Bside of “Burn For You” today, or waiting until we get to that single? That’s a very worthy version of the song as well as the album version.

13. mark winstanley

I was going to wait for the single, but if you are feeling inspired and want to run through it, please do

14. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Delicate, ethereal, orchestral, beautiful, quaint, edgy, moody, exotic and possibly even romantic, encompass the exuded textures here. And what a wonderful minimalistic sax solo from Kirk. Johnson's Aeroplane is not my favourite track from TS, but it's definitely a unique and enjoyable one.

15. heyday2day

"Johnson's Aeroplane" is in a three way tie for my favorite Swing track, all of which reside on Side 2 of the LP.

To my ears, it's got a vibe and mood that harkens back to a few SS tracks ("Spy of Love", "Jan's Song") but a better track than either of those. Melancholic but euphoric at the same time. Hutchence employs a slightly different vocal style than he had displayed yet to that time and the backing vox really give it an ambience and mood. A definite 5 star track and one that should be included with any compilation of the band's best tracks.

16. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I am late to this thread, but will try to keep up and participate. I just bought The Swing and plan to give it a few spins here in the coming days. Loved INXS back in the later 80's, but never explored any pre-Listen Like Thieves material other than the few hits.

17. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

It's a great song but again not a fan of the drums or production. Can't help but think how much better this album would've sounded with Mark Opitz. The b side version I like more.

18. mark winstanley

Love Is (What I Say)

Here we get another picture of how much the band were trying on this album. Michael again tries another style of vocal delivery in the first verse, and again it works very well.

This is
    Food of love
    Dare say
    They got it wrong
    Smiling
    You and I
    Thinking
    Never say die

What I say now
    What I say now
    I don't think we know each other
    Enough to lie
    Enough is enough anyway

These changes
    Lives alone
    Drowsing
    By the fire
    Out of depth
    He becomes
    A man without
    Quality

What I say now
    What I say now
    Enough to lie
    Enough is enough anyway

This life
    The food love
    This is
    They got it wrong
    Smiling
    You and I
    Thinking
    Never say die

What I say now
    What I say now
    Enough to lie
    Enough is enough anyway

You and I
    What I say

Songwriters: Tim Farriss / M. Hutchence / A. Farriss / J. Farriss / K. Pengilly / G.g. Beers / A. Braxton Smith
    Love Is (What I Say) lyrics © Universal Music Corp.

We open with a nice open drum and bass sound. This is joined by some gentle keyboard sections as the vocal comes in, developing a nice intimate feel.
    To some degree this also has its roots in the sound and feel of the Shabooh Shoobah album, but lends itself a little more to the pop side of the band.

One thing that may be noticed here is the lack of guitar of any particular note. Essentially we get another nice sparse arrangement with the drums and bass driving this along with a bed of layered keys, that have, mainly, an ambient type of feel to them, with the occasional accent stabs.
    When the chorus comes in we get a nice melodic keyboard line, but again it leans towards the ambient, mellow side of things.

I think this track works really very well, again it is quite different, and in a lot of ways it is that difference that adds to the album so muhc.
    One of the strengths of this album to me, is the variety and the way it all blends so nicely.

I understand folks not particularly liking the production of this album, but for me, it works perfectly in presenting the songs the band wanted to put forward for this album.

19. mark winstanley

Here is a video that was made for this track

20. mark winstanley

21. mark winstanley

22. mark winstanley

23. mark winstanley

24. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Love Is -- 5/5. Another highlight to me. Carries on from Shabooh here, which is a good thing. Chorus perfectly blends with the verse. The build up is sensual and sexual, just like what Love Is. Chequered Past on the bill is interesting as it was Steve Jones, Blondie members, a Sales brother and that "singer". A bit of an underrated album, but too mainstream for the players.

25. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

The way Love Is changes between very sparse sections and the very harmonic chorus gives the song a great tension. I really like this very strong album track; side two has started with two excellent songs.