INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

The slashing guitar in Good + Bad Times lends the song the edge it needs. This one could easily pass under the radar but it’s surprisingly good and packs a lot into under three minutes.

2. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

YEP, I said the same thing earlier...what a moment it was: INXS - The Album thread

3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Some tasteful cowbell almost always helps too.

Al Gator and mark winstanley like this.
  4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Just went to revisit Listen Like Thieves on Spotify and it's missing, along with a few others. What gives?

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It's the evil of streaming :)
    Censorship?
    .... ok I'll stop..... sorry

Darren Richardson likes this.
  6. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Yes - this song and the title track have some excellent cowbell.

7. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Over the years, I've had to correct many music fans, who obviously weren't INXS fans, that thought because they heard a few singles from Kick or X, that they were strictly a pop band. Well, Good + Bad Times is one of many examples of how well INXS could rock and rock hard, while still maintaining a melodic foundation. Their live sound is on full display here. After one of the best segue intros of their catalogue emerges, you're stimulated into discovering the verses & taken into a melodic environment with a snippet of heavy guitar fills. And when the chorus hits, the chunky bass lines & heavy guitar riff in particular, anchor the track. There is such great momentum here. And then out of nowhere, the instrumental interlude walks right in, and Kirk's solo lifts you up, until you're brought back into the verses. G+BT is an excellent album track and one the best rock songs of the '80s!

8. Al Gator

I've got a nice glass of whiskey, dog on my lap, wife out of the house, and in a few minutes I'm going to kick off the next album we'll be covering (as soon as the album that's playing now finishes). I've got to get my song-by-song notes ready!

9. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

==
    Another example how this band is great as some songs touch others in different ways. Love it. :cool:

10. mark winstanley

Biting Bullets

I actually like this track. It races along nicely with the guitar rolling some nice riffs over the keys, and a nice uptempo rhythm sections.
    Interestingly the chorus guitar has a sort of Big Country guitar sound to it.

Don't you wonder
    Is anyone that strong
    It takes me under
    Believing what I'm seeing
    I get so tired of watching friends go down
    The hungry tiger for all who never began

Biting bullets
    Biting the clouds
    Biting bullets
    Biting the clouds

I saw the show
    Shaking all the babies
    Should I believe the parade of clever lies
    Shadow of light in the shadow of death
    There is no difference to all who never began

There was a time
    There was a way to live
    And it's no secret
    That it won't come back again

I lose myself like anybody else
    But I'm not so strong to make it in the end
    I need some answers when the day comes crashing down
    'Cause it's all over when there's no one to be found

Source: LyricFind
    Songwriters: Michael Hutchence / Kirk Pengilly
    Biting Bullets lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

There isn't anything fancy about this track. It comes in immediately and punches out its message, and does it well.
    It isn't the strongest track on the album sure, but it does its job efficiently and for me it is a solid album track.

11. mark winstanley

"This Time"

[​IMG]
    Single by INXS
    from the album Listen Like Thieves
    Released
    November 1985
    Recorded 1985
    Label Atlantic
    Songwriter(s) Andrew Farriss
    Producer(s) Chris Thomas

"This Time" is a song recorded by the Australian band INXS. It is from their 1985 album Listen Like Thieves. "This Time" was the second after "What You Need" in Australia and New Zealand, but album's lead single elsewhere. It reached the top 20 in Australia. It was the only song from the album solely written by Andrew Farriss.

The video was directed by Peter Sinclair, who directed Culture Club's music videos, amongst others. (INXS: This Time (Video 1985) - Cast & Crew - IMDb )

Australian 7" 7-258836
    1. "This Time" – 3:11
    2. "Sweet as Sin" – 2:20
    UK 7" INXS 5
    2. "Original Sin (Extended Version)" – 2:20
    US 7" single 7-89497
    2. "I'm Over You" – 4:08

Chart (1986) Peak
    position

Australian ARIA Singles Chart 19
    UK Singles Chart 79
    New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)[6] 40
    US Billboard Hot 100 81
    US Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks 11
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

The cover for the UK double 7"
    [​IMG]
    A This Time
    B Original Sin (Extended Version)
    C Burn For You (Extended Remix)
    D Dancing On The Jetty

A 12" cover from Germany
    [​IMG]

This Time is a very cool little song. This track got a ton of radio play in Australia, possibly more than all the other singles on this album, and it seemed to last on the radio longer than any of the other tracks to... this is from my memories of the time at least, and they could be flawed.

I will believe you
    If you say it's true
    Girl you know I need you
    More than any word spoken
    I've seen you before
    Turn and walk away
    You say you won't come back
    It's a game anyway

We are hoping, yes and we're praying
    This time will be the last time
    That we will fight like this
    That we will fight like this...hey!

We are always wanting
    Things we cannot find
    You know that we are always wasting time

We are hoping, yes and we're praying

You know I can forget
    We have fought before
    I've seen inside your heart
    And I know it's breaking

We are hoping, yeah and we're praying

Maybe this time will be the last time

Songwriters: Andrew Farriss
    This Time lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

This track somewhat works as an uptempo ballad, and it manages to retain a little bit of punch. So many ballad type songs from the eighties seemed to lean towards being weepy, and melancholic... and there's certainly nothing wrong with that, but at various points in the eighties it seemed a little like overkill, particularly when we got towards the 87-90 period of time.

This song opens up with a really nice guitar, and the vocal comes in and then the keyboard adds a really nice melodic texture to the verse.
    The chorus punches in with a sort of exuberant feel, and to some degree, I think that is what carried this song along so well.

I guess again to some degree, it surprises me that this didn't do a little better as a single.

Again the arrangement is very strong.

To some degree we get quite a few songs on this album that are more simplistic than the tracks on the Swing. That certainly doesn't make them worse at all, I think it just fits in with the back to basics live in the studio kind of sound they were going for here.

Although released on 12" singles around the world, there was no extended mix that I am aware of, and it seems the band wisely used the 12" singles to promote songs from previous albums.

ARK, Andy Smith, negative1 and 5 others like this.
  12. mark winstanley

13. mark winstanley

Sweet As Sin was one of the b-side tracks released with this single, but we also had it as a b-side on some of the What You Need singles, and we looked at it already.

I'm Over You was the other b-side, and it also appeared as a b-side with various editions of What You Need, and again, we have already looked at it.

The MEZ likes this.
  14. mark winstanley

Reference guide

The band's origins

May 1980 Simple Simon / We Are The Vegetables

Aug 1980 Live Paris Theatre, Sydney

Oct 1980 Inxs (debut album)
    On A Bus
    Doctor
    Just Keep Walking - On TV
    Learn To Smile
    Jumping
    In Vain - live - interview
    Roller Skating - live
    Body Language
    Newsreel Babies
    Wishy Washy - live
    Just Keep Walking b-side Scratch

Mar 1981 The Loved One/The Unloved One

Sept 1981 Stay Young/Lacavocal

Oct 1981 Underneath The Colours
    Stay Young
    Horizons
    Big Go Go
    Underneath The Colours
    Fair Weather Ahead
    Night Of Rebellion
    Follow
    Barbarian
    What Would You Do?
    Just To Learn Again
    Prehistoria - bside

1982 INXSive

Live 8/12/1982 -Sydney

Four Corners - Flavour Of The Month

After Dark Interview

Oct 1982 Shabooh Shoobah - Ad
    The One Thing - 12" - live - countdown
    To Look At You - 12" - live 84
    Spy Of Love - live
    Soul Mistake - live
    Here Comes - live
    Black And White - live
    Golden Playpen - live
    Jan's Song - live
    Old World New World - live
    Don't Change - Countdown
    b-sides
    Space Shuttle
    Phantim Of The Opera
    Sax Thing
    You Never Used To Cry
    Here Comes II
    Go West
    Long In Tooth

1982 Freedom Soundtrack - with Don Walker
    Speed Kills
    Forest Theme

Stop The Drop - live Feb 83

Inxs at LA Zoo

Mar 1983 Live At Perkins Palace

May 1983 US Festival

Sept 1983 Dekadance US
    Black And White 12"
    To Look At You 12"
    The One Thing 12"
    Here Come II new version

Apr 1984 The Swing
    Original Sin - single - video
    Melting In The Sun - video
    I Send A Message - single - live - live - live
    Dancing On The Jetty - video
    The Swing - live
    Johnson's Aeroplane
    Love Is (What I Say) - video - videos
    Face The Change - live
    Burn For You - single mix - live
    All The Voices - video
    B-sides
    Jans Song/To Look At You (live)
    Mechanical
    The Harbour
    Johnson's Aeroplane alt.

April 1984 Dekadance
    Original Sin - Dance Mix
    I Send A Message - ext
    Burn for You - ext
    Dancing On The Jetty - remix
    Melting In The Sun - remix
    Love Is ( What I Say) - remix
    Jackson

1985 The Swing And Other Stories (video)
    The video

Merry Christmas (fan club)

Oct 1985 Listen Like Thieves
    What You Need - 12"
    Listen Like thieves - 12" - video
    Kiss The Dirt - video - 12"
    Shine Like It Does - live
    Good + Bad Times
    Biting Bullets
    This Time

b-sides
    Sweet As Sin
    I'm Over You
    Different World
    Begotten
    Six Knots

15. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Recently listened to a 1986 show where Michael introduced "Biting Bullets" as an anti-heroin song. Never caught that on my own, but makes sense now.

16. Bluepicasso

Biting Bullets -- 3/5. Good song which throbs quiet nicely. Do I say to myself, let me hum this song as I walk? Well, no. Good nonetheless. Has more energy than the prior song and a good way to start side 2 of the vinyl or cassette days. It's also very, very short, which is cool as it hints back to their early days.

This Time - 4/5. All the pieces are there for this to be a great song, but it just misses the mark. Perhaps, it was too perfectly constructed. To these ears, there is a piece missing in here that doesn't allow me to give it a 5 out of 5. I also dislike songs about love and fighting. How many more do we really need?

17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

"This Time": good song, always liked it, but there is admittedly something un-INXS about it.

Al Gator and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Al Gator

Biting Bullets is a little different - the rhythm is almost a shuffle, and it’s a fun track.

Next up is another killer tune. This Time has another memorable melody, tight rhythm, and perfect vocal delivery of a hopeful lyric. Again there’s a lot to discover musically; I love the acoustic guitar flourishes. Another A+ song.

19. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Biting Bullets

Although short, it is repetitive and I think it is one of the weaker tracks on the album. As an opener of Side Two of the LP it was just “ok”. On a CD, this track back-to-back with Good + Bad Times doesn’t work for me and I think this is one of the tracks that could have been replaced with Do Wot You Do or Different World.

This Time

Great single from the band. It almost feels out of place on this album, but it’s so good it had to go on there somewhere - hence the awkward placement on Side Two. The acoustic guitar flourishes are great, and I love the guitar solo. The solo sort of takes its own time against the breakneck pace of the rest of the song, and has a spaghetti-western Ennio Morricone feel to it.

20. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Oddly, Biting Bullets includes no intro and contains an extremely up-tempo rhythm-centric base with a hard rock feel. When the chorus hits, it's partly driven by pentatonic scale based guitar lines. After the bridge slows the track down considerably, it speeds back into its up-tempo glory before ending quickly. It's definitely not a single but a good album track nonetheless.

This Time opens with a suitable mood-enhancing guitar arpeggio sequence, before Jon launches the song into the verses. The bridge is very effective and does a fantastic job setting up the vocal prominence and guitar accompaniment in the climaxing chorus. And Kirk's short but sweet guitar solo in the interlude fits well. This is a great pop rock love song. And I'm also very surprised it was only a moderate hit.

21. mark winstanley

Three Sisters

This seems like an unusual track to put on the album in a lot of ways. It is reminiscent of some of the earlier b-sides in its somewhat playful, experimental type nature.
    We have a fairly moderate instrumental, with some nice parts through it, and some .... sort of Jungle noises in the background.
    There is some nice sax and a pretty good groove, but it doesn't really go anywhere for me.
    I don't dislike it particularly, but it doesn't bring much to the party.

22. Bluepicasso

Three Sisters -- 3/5. Interesting curio. The song's placement always struck me as being odd. It screams to have been the last track on side one, or the track before the last one. I do like the noises, though they seem to be a test drive for anyone wanting to buy a sampler/synth of the the model Andrew used. Nonetheless, I never skip it. It's fun.

23. mark winstanley

Same Direction

I think this is a fairly strong song. I like the way the introduction builds and then bursts into the chordal melody that becomes the main hook.
    The guitar has that very eighties overdriven/distorted sound with some grinding of the vibrato (whammy) bar.

And we all just need the same things
    I tell you what I know
    We're heading in the same direction
    So never let it go

There are few of us
    Who will never know
    We're counting on every day

I'm not sure about
    You're not sure about
    Why things are going this way

Believe it
    You can see it

I will turn around
    Try to understand
    All of the feelings unsaid

If you're serious love is dangerous
    It changes my world every day

Songwriters: Michael Hutchence / Andrew Farriss
    Same Direction lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

I suppose that this track is lyrically sparse, but I think that it works effectively.

We open with what sounds like a pulsing synth bass, but it could well be a bass with an effect on it.
    As I say we get a nice build that leads into the vocals.

We get a nice instrumental breakdown, that has a couple of guitar bits that add nice texture.
    At the end of the day the guitar and vocal in the "believe it" section are what make this song for me.

24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I'm sure it was unintentional but I hear "Three Sisters" as almost a goodbye to the old, quirky INXS. They were entering a different stratosphere.

25. Al Gator

The not-quite-instrumental (as there are audible vocals, just not words) Three Sisters tries to be a moody piece but doesn’t quite work for me.

With its relentless and almost unchanging rhythm, Same Direction seems like an attempt at a straight dance track. It’s not bad, the chorus is nice, and there are a lot of percussion details, but it’s not particularly appealing to me and it’s too long.