INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

This is the two songs united in the video

The video itself is worth mentioning. I really liked the way they did this collage of images. I particularly liked the shot of the guitar with the strings vibrating nicely.

2. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Need You Tonight -- 4/5. Know this appeals to mass audience, but I was never moved to the point of adulation. The soft synth stab has reoccured in various songs throughout the years. I have tried to make notes of them. Erasure's Sometimes and Depeche Mode's Enjoy the Silence come to mind. What other songs come to the minds of others? The video was okay but not my favorite either, same with Mediate, but did like the Bob Dylan touch.

Mediate 3/5. Never fan of this as it was Andrew going through a rhyming dictionary to me. I do like Kirk's sax. Saves the song from being a 2.

I'm Coming Home. 2.5/5. Starts off very fine, but meanders. Liked the feel of those opening moments before it tails off. Wish they would have focused on making that something. Sounds like a mix between INXS and Yello.

Move On 3.5/5. First heard this upon getting the 25th anniversary issue. Nice little track. Nothing here states placement on Kick though.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  3. mark winstanley

I'm Coming (Home)

This is one of the b-sides from the Need You Tonight single.
    It opens with a nice stripped back groove, and some vocals from Hutchence.
    Then we move into some speed effected voices.
    As we move to the next coming home section, we get more layers.
    We also get the addition of some passion pants thrown in for good measure.
    We have a pretty cool funkish groove, a few subtle chop ups. A sax with some delay.
    This isn't amazing at all, but it is a pretty decent bit of funky fun for a b-side.

4. mark winstanley

Move On

Another b-side and it is more of a song, and I assume a track that was left off the album.
    The is a stabby rhythmed track, that fits the M.O. of the Kick album. It has many traits that could well see it as a single in its own right really.
    Again a nice arrangement.... the band really were arranging their songs so well over the last few years, it is quite remarkable. It shows them working as a team really well, and putting the song first.
    For me, this could have taken Mediate's position on the album.

5. mark winstanley

There are a couple of extended mixes of need you tonight, and another b-side. So as not to overload today, I will make them tomorrow's tracks
    I hope that works for every body.

6. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

“Passion Pants” - I’m gonna remember that so I can use it sometime. :uhhuh:

This song is a real unexpected treat. That funky bass playing is superb. Not really album worthy, but wow what a groove. One of their best Bsides. If they had trimmed some of the more goofy aspects this could have been used on the album, but as is it’s a fun track.

7. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Need You Tonight is another masterpiece that keeps the album’s streak of amazing tracks going. The interlocking of the guitars, bass and drums is stunning; at times the bass feels like an extension of the guitar because they are so tight, and at other times it's winding itself around the rhythm. And every single note comes through as clear as lightning allowing the listener to enjoy every subtlety of this interplay. The result is sexy perfection.

Mediate seems to be a coda to Need You Tonight. On its own it doesn’t work as well, but in its place on the album I enjoy it. Some of the rhymes seem a little forced but it’s a nice way to come down from the intensity of the previous track.

8. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

What is "Don't Dream It's Over" on the maxi CD single about?

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

I don't know.... I assume it is a Crowded House cover?.... we'll find out tomorrow... I guess if the single was re-released somewhere down the track, it may not even be Hutchence era....

10. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

As far as I'm concerned, Garry's bass line in Need You Tonight is just as important as Kirk's signature funk guitar riff. These two instrumental lines / riffs are what make the song instantly memorable. Don't get me wrong, Michael's vocal prowess shines brightly here, as he's perfectly executing almost every single vocal style and technique he knows. So his contributions shouldn't be diminished. But just there's something about the music that takes NYT to another level. The unique hybrid of funk, r&b, rock and pop, couldn't be more distinctive if they tried. And unsurprisingly, not only is it one of the biggest selling singles they ever released but without it and its groundbreaking music video, despite the fact it's not my absolute favourite song from the album, admittedly, Kick wouldn't have been as memorable or successful. NYT is definitely yet another quintessential INXS song.

NYT's segue into Mediate works so well, that you almost don't even realize you're now listening to another song. In an interview, Andrew talked about why he wanted all the lyrics to rhyme. And it was because someone told him that many of INXS' lyrics sounded cheesy because they thought they rhymed too much. So he decided to write an entire song around the theme of strictly rhyming. Clever. And the subtle hybrid & contrast of the lyrical content mixed with sequenced / programmed rhythms / beats & Kirk's mood-fitting oboe or clarinet (?) solo, is unexpectedly wonderful.

Move On & I'm Coming (Home) are album outtakes that seem unfinished. If they only were fully-developed with stronger choruses and were catchier, they probably would've fit on Kick.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  11. DanP

DanP Forum Resident

While they have many musical moods, surely Need You Tonight is the very essence of INXS. If INXS was an essential oil it would smell like this song.

I really like Mediate. If it were its own song, I probably wouldn't be that fussed, but I like that its almost like an 'epilogue' to Need you Tonight. Sydney radio would play them both together. During drive time radio. That's how huge they were. Similar vibe with Tears for Fears' Head Over Heels/Broken (live). It was a cool move when Triple M in Sydney would play the two songs as they sit on the LP rather than just playing the single edit like on pop radio.

enro99, Al Gator, twicks and 5 others like this.
  12. DanP

DanP Forum Resident

Also, and i can't remember where I read this - somewhere reputable - but Andrew started playing their trademark guitar licks in the studio around this period (if not before). Tim and Kirk would play solos, chords and other bits, but I'll wager that Need you Tonight, New Sensation, Elegantly Wasted, anything we'd call a classic INXS riff, the riffs you can sing, is Andrew in the studio.

13. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Need You Tonight: Another iconic, definitive track from the band. The layered guitar work alone makes this track shine, along with Michael's delivery right down to the final line. There is so much to like here.

As for the video, It's pretty awesome to have the album cover come to life. It's a prime example of utilizing the medium of the music video.

Mediate: Always loved this one. Being a kid and hearing it for the first time, I was simply blown away by it. I had never anything like it at the time. Something hypnotic about Michael voice as raps the verses. Then there's the musical backdrop that pairs nicely with Michael's voice, it's dreamy and I suddenly get lost in the song, right down to the sax solo that carries me away.

DanP, Bluepicasso, Al Gator and 4 others like this.
  14. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

(Borrowed from Songfacts):

"For the Kick album, INXS tried a different approach, with Michael Hutchence and Andrew Farriss (multi-instrumentalist for the band) doing all the songwriting. They wrote "Need You Tonight" and a few other tracks on the album at a studio in Hong Kong, where they worked for two weeks. Farriss came up with the rhythm track on a Roland 707 drum machine in a flash just before leaving for the airport - he was still working on it when the cab driver arrived, so he had the cabbie wait while he recorded a quick demo on cassette.

In Hong Kong, he played Hutchence the cassette and Michael wrote the lyrics on the spot in about an hour, creating a sensual storyline to fit the mood of the music. Farriss brought his drum machine with him and was able rebuild the track, adding the guitar riff and a bass line he played on a keyboard bass. With Hutchence adding vocals, they recorded a proper demo of the song that they took back to Sydney, where they recorded it with their bandmates. The way the song came together that day was the same way they recorded it. The drum machine stayed, but their live drummer, Jon Farriss (one of three brothers in the band), added cymbals, toms and fills."

What's great about that statement is that it's depicted in the Never Tear Us Apart miniseries in a somewhat humorous manner.

15. mark winstanley

I can only assume that the Don't Dream It's Over listed on wiki is some kind of misprint. I just looked through all the listings on discogs and there is no listing for that song on any of the releases there.
    I searched youtube, and there was no listing of that track for Inxs anywhere .... So as I say, at this stage I have to assume that is just one of those wiki-errors, of which there are generally quite a few it seems.

If anyone knows any information about it, one way or the other, please let us know.

Cheers
    Mark

16. mark winstanley

Need You Tonight Mendelsohn extended mix

We open with Michael whispering Come Over Here, and then move into a percussive thing. This leads to a somewhat breakdown type scenario where we get lots of readjustment of parts, with delays added and all that kind of stuff.
    About a minute and a half in we move into the vocal, which is essentially over the percussion and bass track, with some keys here and there.

I guess this give us a kind of slinky version. the chorus gets a more full working of the tracks.

The end of the first chorus gives us a nice little guitar edit kind of section with the bits of rhythm guitar mixed either side.... and it is pretty effective.

About four minutes in we get the break of "I'm Lonely", and that moves into a semi-ambient section with some more delay effects on bits of vocal edits.
    We get a kick with the riff guitar, and a synth effect. Then the bass comes in. Some more effects come in.

and so it goes for the most part.

I know some folks probably love this. For the most part it just loses the essence of the song for me.

17. mark winstanley

Need You Tonight Bed Liebrand extended mix

We open with a drum machine set up, and then some kind of funk synth riff....
    The chordal riff comes in, and it works reasonably with the alternate synth riff..... We have substituted instruments ....
    For me, these kinds of "remixes" are unusual, because it seems quite obvious that some completely rerecorded parts are added, or samples are flown in from other songs or whatever....

Essentially this is a completely different track, with some elements of Need You Tonight included..... I guess if you approach it from that perspective, you may get into this.
    For me, it's just seven minutes I won't get back lol .... Well five, as I am not bothering to go any further :)

18. mark winstanley

If remixes are your thing, here is a youtube page with lots of them ... I have no idea if any of them are official, or authorised, so it seems futile to post any others, but please feel free to post any that you think raise the bar....
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=inxs+need+you+tonight+remix

From my perspective I think the original would be hard to beat, on purely the song being presented in its best light. The guys obviously spend a lot of time arranging their tracks, and I think up to this point in history, they tend to do a really great job of that.

19. mark winstanley

Apologies, I thought there was another b-side to look at, but there isn't, so that's where we are today

20. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

==
    Thanks for your hard work here Mark. I'm doing the same virtually for my day job in a way. I know it's tasking. Again, cheers!

21. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Add me to those who love the Mendelsohn extended mix. Probably one of my all-time favorite remixes, because it just deconstructs the song so masterfully. To me, it takes away many of the familiar elements I've heard hundreds of times and expect to hear, then randomly folds them back in and out creating a whole new experience while still keeping the song's DNA.

And, I'll echo Bluepicasso, above. Thanks for keeping this going, Mark - I've been lurking and enjoying this all along, and bow to your dedication and endurance!

22. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

NYT's Mendelsohn extended mix is another great example of how the instrumentation is fleshed out and brought to the fore. And apart from oddness between 4:02-5:57, it's an excellent version.

To the contrary, NYT's Bed Liebrand extended mix doesn't add anything to the original version that would enhance its enjoyment. And this particular mix makes INXS sound like something they're not. At best, it's decent.

theholygoof and mark winstanley like this.
  23. mark winstanley

The Loved One

At the end of the day, I have loved this track as long as I can remember, but I tend to prefer the single from 1981.
    There is nothing wrong with this version at all .... it is probably produced a little better from a late eighties perspective, and it probably is a little more punchy in many ways.... I guess it just seemed a little redundant.
    The things that go through my head about this being done again.
    - they knew that most of the overseas market would never had heard the original they did
    - they just really loved the song and wanted to have another crack at it.
    - they were pretty confident that this album was going to be pretty big, and wanted The Loved Ones to get some royalties....

I don't know. It certainly doesn't derail the album at all, it is a very good version, and I am sure for many folks not already familiar to the band, that it was a great inclusion.

So I don't have any problem with it being here at all, but from my perspective, having known the band, pretty much, from day dot, it seemed unnecessary.

Anyway, that's about all I have for this song, and I will be interested in hearing everybody's opinions on this track, particularly those who weren't previously familiar with it.

24. mark winstanley

Reference guide

The band's origins

May 1980 Simple Simon / We Are The Vegetables

Aug 1980 Live Paris Theatre, Sydney

Oct 1980 Inxs (debut album)
    On A Bus
    Doctor
    Just Keep Walking - On TV
    Learn To Smile
    Jumping
    In Vain - live - interview
    Roller Skating - live
    Body Language
    Newsreel Babies
    Wishy Washy - live
    Just Keep Walking b-side Scratch

Mar 1981 The Loved One/The Unloved One

Sept 1981 Stay Young/Lacavocal

Oct 1981 Underneath The Colours
    Stay Young
    Horizons
    Big Go Go
    Underneath The Colours
    Fair Weather Ahead
    Night Of Rebellion
    Follow
    Barbarian
    What Would You Do?
    Just To Learn Again
    Prehistoria - bside

1982 INXSive

Live 8/12/1982 -Sydney

Four Corners - Flavour Of The Month

After Dark Interview

Oct 1982 Shabooh Shoobah - Ad
    The One Thing - 12" - live - countdown
    To Look At You - 12" - live 84
    Spy Of Love - live
    Soul Mistake - live
    Here Comes - live
    Black And White - live
    Golden Playpen - live
    Jan's Song - live
    Old World New World - live
    Don't Change - Countdown
    b-sides
    Space Shuttle
    Phantim Of The Opera
    Sax Thing
    You Never Used To Cry
    Here Comes II
    Go West
    Long In Tooth

1982 Freedom Soundtrack - with Don Walker
    Speed Kills
    Forest Theme

Stop The Drop - live Feb 83

Inxs at LA Zoo

Mar 1983 Live At Perkins Palace

May 1983 US Festival

Sept 1983 Dekadance US
    Black And White 12"
    To Look At You 12"
    The One Thing 12"
    Here Come II new version

Apr 1984 The Swing
    Original Sin - single - video
    Melting In The Sun - video
    I Send A Message - single - live - live - live
    Dancing On The Jetty - video
    The Swing - live
    Johnson's Aeroplane
    Love Is (What I Say) - video - videos
    Face The Change - live
    Burn For You - single mix - live
    All The Voices - video
    B-sides
    Jans Song/To Look At You (live)
    Mechanical
    The Harbour
    Johnson's Aeroplane alt.

April 1984 Dekadance
    Original Sin - Dance Mix
    I Send A Message - ext
    Burn for You - ext
    Dancing On The Jetty - remix
    Melting In The Sun - remix
    Love Is ( What I Say) - remix
    Jackson

1985 The Swing And Other Stories (video)
    The video

Merry Christmas (fan club)

Oct 1985 Listen Like Thieves
    What You Need - 12"
    Listen Like thieves - 12" - video
    Kiss The Dirt - video - 12"
    Shine Like It Does - live
    Good + Bad Times
    Biting Bullets
    This Time
    Three Sisters
    Same Direction
    One X One
    Red Red Sun
    b-sides
    Sweet As Sin
    I'm Over You
    Different World
    Begotten
    Six Knots

1985 The Living Inxs

1985 Oz For Africa

Feb 1986 Do What You Do - Pretty In Pink

Jul 1987 Laying Down The Law - Lost Boys

1987 Australian Made

1987 Inxs and Jimmy Barnes Good Times - live

Oct 1987 Kick
    Guns In The Sky - Kookaburra mix - Kick Ass Mix
    New Sensation - Nick's 12" mix
    Devil Inside - video - radio edit - 12" mix
    Need You Tonight - full video - Mendelsohn Mix - Ben Liebrand Mix
    Mediate
    The Loved One

b-sides
    On The Rocks
    I'm Coming (Home)
    Move On

25. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

The Loved One

Back in the 80’s I had never even known this was a cover. I am the kind of music lover who reads all the CD booklet and LP sleeve information, but somehow it escaped me that INXS hadn’t written this song. In my view, Kick had a bit of a lull in the middle: The Loved One and Wild Life were two of the lesser album tracks in the middle of an otherwise outstanding collection. However, years later upon listening to the Stay Young set that collected their first two albums & earliest singles, I heard this:

The original INXS single of this from 1981 was sooooooo much better than the Kick version in 1987. However, listening to the Kick version a few times this week, I have come to appreciate some of its charms. I like the toy piano! I like the ramshackle nature of the whole track. However, I much prefer the bass playing and synth notes of the first version, and I think the jagged guitar and bigger drum sound of the Kick version don’t work as well. Hutchence does well on both and manages to hold the Kick version together well enough.

1981 7” version: 4/5 stars
    1987 Kick version: 2.5/5 stars

The middle of Kick’s track sequence is ok with just Wild Life there. But this song back to back with Wild Life makes it lose momentum. I’d much prefer dropping this cover version and adding Move On into the mix.

As others have noted though, INXS really loved this song and played it in their live sets for a very long time, so there’s got to be a story there somewhere. If they loved it this much, it at least makes sense they’d revisit it and include it in their breakthrough megaseller album - so from that standpoint I understand why it’s on here.