INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

I'd love a proper Kick tour release.

2. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

-
    You bring up a good point! Somehow, the early 80s went from about an album a year to two years, then to three years, then to four years with a lot of the bands that made it in the 80s, like Duran, Depeche, U2, Cure. It's good for longevity I guess, but the wait for albums during that time was the length of a new rock fad craze like baggy or Britpop.

3. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Long enough that I had moved on with my musical listening and had very much “forgotten” about INXS by the time X came out. It really was a bit of a gap.

4. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

The big record labels had mastered the art of milking an album for 3,4 or even 5 or more singles and videos. The promotion cycle for an album went from a year to more like 2-3 years in some cases.

5. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

They were still huge when they came back, though. Played two nights at my local basketball arena, which basically makes you stadium-level these days.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  6. DanP

DanP Forum Resident

True. I find it hilarious that bands are doing "10th Anniversary" reissues. It was 2 albums ago!

Also worth noting that Max Q was released by CBS (at least in Australia) rather than INXS' already established network of WEA/Atlantic/Mercury. While CBS were probably to happy to have Hutchence on their roster, my guess is that given the loose nature of the group (and their inner-city-punks-turned-ecstasy-ravers schtick) and their unlikelihood to tour in support, they probably weren't going to throw a huge financial promotional push behind it, hoping that Hutch's face would do the work.

So the whole thing worked well for everyone: CBS get some essentially free sales, Hutchence gets to look like the tortured artist who cuts his hair in protest of the straightjacket of fame and keeps the day-job on its toes...and then he blows the narrative by starting to date Kylie Minogue!

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Lol

8. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

The above is a mostly accurate observation of this era. However, I don't think Michael was opposed to being rock star or minded being very popular. In fact, in the 2014 mini-series, Never Tear Us Apart, there are re-enactment scenes from this era and INXS' lean years in the mid-'90s, depicting the events. And apparently, MH was conflicted and frustrated about stardom. He wanted to be considered underground & alternative but he still wanted to be popular (which actually reflects in INXS' music). And while Chris Murphy was indifferent towards MQ and how to proceed with INXS in the midst of all of this, to my knowledge, the band weren't aware of the MQ project beforehand. Or at least Andrew certainly wasn't. Because he actually found out when friends saw a MQ video on tv and asked him about it. And instead of embarrassing himself by saying that he didn't know about it, Andrew acted like he knew all about it and told them it was a great album.

9. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Sometimes is a relatively strong opening track - one of the few major highlights from Max Q. Lyrically, it's simple but thought-provoking. The hook is embedded in the wah-wah pedal guitar riff. Vocally and especially in the chorus, MH extends part of his baritone range and continues to shows us how good of a singer he is. It's a good song.

Love Man has some interesting ideas. And the lead guitar & bass lines are my favourite parts. But of course, it's not fully-developed track.

The Sometimes Rock House extended & dub mixes are relatively likeable and add a few enhancing elements. But they're nothing special.

10. Bluepicasso

I’ve heard that too about Andrew, not a way to treat a songwriting partner, tbh.

11. mark winstanley

I get the feeling that Kurt Cobain had a similar internal tension on that front.

12. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Cool song! I like the house piano, and this mix of the track is pretty good.

Was one of the band members truly wheelchair bound? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that in a music video before.

mark winstanley and twicks like this.
  13. mark winstanley

I honestly don't know mate

14. mark winstanley

"Way of the World"

[​IMG]
    Single by Max Q
    from the album Max Q
    Released
    28 August 1989[1]
    Genre Synth-pop, electronic
    Length 4:08
    Label CBS
    Songwriter(s) Ollie Olsen
    Producer(s) Michael Hutchence Ollie Olsen

This song really grabbed my attention, and essentially was the track that led me to get the album.

YOU WERE BORN INTO THIS WORLD
    LOOKING DOWN THE BARREL OF A GUN
    AND THOSE WHO HOLD THE GUN
    WANT YOU TO WORK FAST AND DIE YOUNG
    AND IF YOU DON’T WORK
    IF YOU DON’T OBEY
    THEY’LL MAKE YOU LIVE IN FEAR TIL YOUR DYING DAY
    THOSE WHO GOVERN HOLD THE GUN TO YOUR HEAD
    WITH RELIGIONS CORPORATIONS PROUD OF BLOOD
    THEY’VE SHED

WHETHER IT’S GOD OR THE BOMB
    IT’S JUST THE SAME AND
    IT’S ONLY FEAR UNDER ANOTHER NAME

AND THE CORPORATE SNAKES COMING IN TO FEED
    ON THAT PATHETIC FACT KNOWN AS HUMAN GREED
    SKIN AND BONE BEING RAKED OVER THOSE HOT COALS
    THIS DUMP NEVER SEEMS TO GIVE TIME FOR HUMAN SOUL
    AND ALL THOSE THINGS THAT WE HAVE LEARNT
    NO TIME FOR QUESTIONS, YOU JUST GET BURNT
    YOU’LL JUST GET BURNT

IT’S JUST THE SAME AND

AND THOSE WORDS CRUSH YOU FLAT
    LIKE YOUR SOUL’S UNDER A BRICK
    AND THE FEELING’S SO DAMN STRONG
    THAT IT MAKES YOU SICK
    AND YOU CAN SEE RIGHT THROUGH THOSE EYES
    THAT MAKE YOU FEAR, THAT MAKE YOU LIE

AND YOU’RE TAUGHT TO HOLD HIGH
    BUT YOU WONDER WHY
    DUMB VALUES FORCED UPON YOU BY THE LIVING LIE

IT’S JUST THE SAME AND

What it says on the Hutch lyrics site

This is a song with lyrics written by Ollie Olsen and brilliantly performed by Michael Hutchence on their collaborative album, Max Q.

It’s message is an overt, profound yet incisive assessment of the Capitalist plight, its devastating effects on mankind, its insidious mechanisms and primitive root causes.

In a prophetic moment, the video for this song, (which was shot in New York City by Richard Lowenstein in 1989), ends with a shot of Michael and Ollie sitting on a bench with the doomed twin towers in the background, fading out after Michael turns and looks at the camera. It is enough to give one goosebumps.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One of the big contentions for me here are the lyrics. Although I agree with the majority of the lyrics, from the way I personally relate to the world, the Hutch lyrics site states that this is directed at capitalism, and for them to only be directed at capitalism shows a distinct lack of understanding of other systems .... I'm trying to not get to political here, but it's difficult, and forgive me if I fail, but I'm trying to explain problems I see with the lyrics, even though the majority of them are pretty spot on. Also tying God to atomic bombs, is a little ignorant as well. I will be the first to condemn the religious organisations that have failed to be what they are supposed to be, but God isn't religious..... and I'm going to leave it there.... So much potential in these lyrics, but they get sidetracked by biases, that fail to really nail the issue they are trying to.

Now the song itself.... excellent. The sort of newsreel samples work really well, and the percussion and drums bring us in really nicely.
    The piano, is simple but very effective, and the string samples, or synth, or whatever they are using, also just beautifully dress up the musical atmosphere.

The real thing that sells this song is Hutchence vocal. He manages to pull all the bile from his stomach, and spit the lyrics out with the contempt they are trying to deliver. Yet at the same time, he delivers a pretty great vocal in spite of the affectation. At this stage of his career Michael could sing anything he believed in with such power and passion, it is hard to believe that this is the same guy from that quirky ska-ish debut album.

15. mark winstanley

Zero 2 0 (Terry Todd mix)

We open with some drum machine programme. Then what sounds like an edited guitar sample comes in.
    This is one of the chopped up layered and sample type tracks, that I appreciate the work put into them, but they don't really appeal to me.

16. mark winstanley

Way Of The World 12" mix

The basic song here is pretty much the same, but we get a slightly different backing. We get that stuttering sample type thing going on, and it is effective, but it kind of steals the beautiful simplicity of the piano and strings arrangement.... for me at least. I am certain some folks will prefer this.

17. mark winstanley

Just in case there is a difference between the video version and the single version, here is the single version. The album version and the single version are the same.

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

Reference guide

The band's origins

May 1980 Simple Simon / We Are The Vegetables

Aug 1980 Live Paris Theatre, Sydney

Oct 1980 Inxs (debut album)
    On A Bus
    Doctor
    Just Keep Walking - On TV
    Learn To Smile
    Jumping
    In Vain - live - interview
    Roller Skating - live
    Body Language
    Newsreel Babies
    Wishy Washy - live
    Just Keep Walking b-side Scratch

Mar 1981 The Loved One/The Unloved One

Sept 1981 Stay Young/Lacavocal

Oct 1981 Underneath The Colours
    Stay Young
    Horizons
    Big Go Go
    Underneath The Colours
    Fair Weather Ahead
    Night Of Rebellion
    Follow
    Barbarian
    What Would You Do?
    Just To Learn Again
    Prehistoria - bside

1982 INXSive

Live 8/12/1982 -Sydney

Four Corners - Flavour Of The Month

After Dark Interview

Oct 1982 Shabooh Shoobah - Ad
    The One Thing - 12" - live - countdown
    To Look At You - 12" - live 84
    Spy Of Love - live
    Soul Mistake - live
    Here Comes - live
    Black And White - live
    Golden Playpen - live
    Jan's Song - live
    Old World New World - live
    Don't Change - Countdown
    b-sides
    Space Shuttle
    Phantim Of The Opera
    Sax Thing
    You Never Used To Cry
    Here Comes II
    Go West
    Long In Tooth

1982 Freedom Soundtrack - with Don Walker
    Speed Kills
    Forest Theme

Stop The Drop - live Feb 83

Inxs at LA Zoo

Mar 1983 Live At Perkins Palace

May 1983 US Festival

Sept 1983 Dekadance US
    Black And White 12"
    To Look At You 12"
    The One Thing 12"
    Here Come II new version

Apr 1984 The Swing
    Original Sin - single - video
    Melting In The Sun - video
    I Send A Message - single - live - live - live
    Dancing On The Jetty - video
    The Swing - live
    Johnson's Aeroplane
    Love Is (What I Say) - video - videos
    Face The Change - live
    Burn For You - single mix - live
    All The Voices - video
    B-sides
    Jans Song/To Look At You (live)
    Mechanical
    The Harbour
    Johnson's Aeroplane alt.

April 1984 Dekadance
    Original Sin - Dance Mix
    I Send A Message - ext
    Burn for You - ext
    Dancing On The Jetty - remix
    Melting In The Sun - remix
    Love Is ( What I Say) - remix
    Jackson

1985 The Swing And Other Stories (video)
    The video

Merry Christmas (fan club)

Oct 1985 Listen Like Thieves
    What You Need - 12"
    Listen Like thieves - 12" - video
    Kiss The Dirt - video - 12"
    Shine Like It Does - live
    Good + Bad Times
    Biting Bullets
    This Time
    Three Sisters
    Same Direction
    One X One
    Red Red Sun
    b-sides
    Sweet As Sin
    I'm Over You
    Different World
    Begotten
    Six Knots

1985 The Living Inxs

1985 Oz For Africa

Feb 1986 Do What You Do - Pretty In Pink

Dec 1986 Dogs In Space

Dogs In Space
    Golf Course
    The Green Dragon
    Rooms For The Memory - movie version

Jul 1987 Laying Down The Law - Lost Boys

1987 Australian Made

1987 Inxs and Jimmy Barnes Good Times - live

Oct 1987 Kick
    Guns In The Sky - Kookaburra mix - Kick Ass Mix
    New Sensation - Nick's 12" mix
    Devil Inside - video - radio edit - 12" mix
    Need You Tonight - full video - Mendelsohn Mix - Ben Liebrand Mix - Andrew Farris
    Mediate
    The Loved One
    Wild Life
    Never Tear Us Apart - video - alt.
    Mystify - video - Chicago demo
    Kick
    Calling all Nations - Alt. mix
    Tiny Daggers
    b-sides
    On The Rocks
    I'm Coming (Home)
    Move On

Aug 6th 1988 Toronto Live

1988 Kick The Video Flick

1989 In Search Of Excellence

Sep 1989 Max Q
    Sometimes - video/straight rock mix -Rock House ext. - dub
    The Way Of The World - 12"

b-sides
    Love Man
    Zero 2 0

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD and The MEZ like this.
  19. Bluepicasso

Way of the World 3.5/5. Okayish. Lyrics, as stated, are what they are. Political lyrics immediately put me off, especially when directly in the ear of the listener. Don't want to preached to while listening to rock, either liberal or conservative. I want to be set free from politics by music. I see why I got rid of this album back in the day, or gave it away, memory is hazy. Good thing YouTube is here to remind about these songs as I was about to buy this used.
    Zero 2/5. Sounds like a personal demo.

I can see why Chris Murphy became annoyed by this release and probably was until his recent death. INXS had the world in the palms of their hands and this release delayed the upward spiral, and quite, frankly, knocked it out of the sky a bit. Sorry, if I am a bit rough on this, but just seeing this songs and album from this point of view.

20. mark winstanley

It's all good mate. Everybody has their own perspective.

I can certainly understand why Murphy and the band may have been concerned about this album, particularly when they had just finally hit it big time..... In days gone by, the band would have been sent straight back into the studio after about a month off, post tour, and got straight into it again. It keeps the name up, and if they had released a very good Inxs album in 1989, it may well have allowed the success to float along a bit longer. The break, just when you finally make it, is a dangerous game.

21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I can understand the concern from management but they definitely enjoyed a victory lap with X in 1990-91. They squeezed it in before tastes changed too much.

22. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Way Of The World is arranged and performed wonderfully, both instrumentally and vocally. And because of that, it's possibly the strongest track from MQ. However, as mark exquisitely points out, lyrically, the song, while partially accurate and relatable, is ripe with ignorant & hypocritical political statements.

The Terry Todd mix of Zero 2 O is kind of unique and is more dance-oriented. And it also tends to emphasizes the guitar parts more than the original.

The 12" mix of WOTW presents a grittier, edgier texture than the original. But I don't think this mix betters it.

23. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

I feel that's generally a true assessment. However, as heavily documented in the 2005 Story to Story: The Official Autobiography and the 2014 Never Tear Us Apart mini-series, INXS had to take 1989 off because of being over-worked for 11 straight years, without almost no time off. So in other words, X would've still been released in 1990, whether MH had done the Max Q album or not...

24. mark winstanley

Cool.
    Good info.
    Cheers mate

25. mark winstanley

Ghost Of The Year

I'm counting on you
    To count my blessings
    I'm countin' on you
    To count the fingers on my hands
    That's the amount of time I've got
    I'll always feel drowned and I'll always be around
    I'll always feel drowned and I'll always be around

And now they want to crown me
    For the Ghost of the year

New message from the airwaves
    One saved one alive
    A new message hits my brain
    I'm alive I'm alive I'm alive I'm somebody today
    There's a great deal of fear inside
    That I'm right in my conclusions
    A great deal of pain inside
    And I'm supposed to be alright

Down on the street
    To search for feel
    The people on the street they make me real
    So I'm counting on you
    To count my blessings
    I'm counting on you
    To count the fingers on my hand
    That's the amount of time I've got

Songwriters: Olsen Ollie Jngbert Christian

I like this track. It is like a bouncy folk song that takes on the clothes of a more modern song via the type of mix it receives.