INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

I thought it was pretty cool video and the band 'coming at you' effect was interesting, yet effective.

2. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Suicide Blonde 4/5.
    Is it their best song? No. The video could have been better (like where a blonde comes to them one by one and makes them do something silly because she is too good looking and sexy). But, hey it surely rocks. Wish the rest of the songs were different from this though on the album. It's followed by 5 clones.
    Everybody Wants You Tonight 1/5. It annoys me that innovative rock bands copy the trends of the times. A rock band is the trend. When I hear the bleeps, I feel sick.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

? Sorry, not following. The bleeps?

4. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

The album starts strongly with Suicide Blonde, very much in the Kick model. But somehow it seems a step down, an attempt to recreate what came before, not a step forward into something new. In this case it seems to be about love frustrated rather than love consummated. Despite treading familiar ground it’s a great start to the album. The term “suicide blonde” refers to a woman who bleaches her hair blonde, so it’s just a figure of speech and I never found it problematic.

5. Bluepicasso

With the song Everybody. It sounds like they have a squeeze toy for a dog. :cool:

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Slightly OT: The models in the "Suicide Blonde" video look very much like a girl I was friendly with in high school here in suburban Detroit. A few days after the X tour stop in Detroit, she came over to my locker (knowing I was an INXS fan) and showed me some pictures of herself with a pajama-clad Michael lounging in his hotel room.

She went on to become a model and years later dated Leo DiCaprio before briefly becoming engaged to Nicolas Cage.

(If this is too TMZ-y for the thread, I apologize.)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  7. mark winstanley

Lol... gotcha

Bluepicasso likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

Nah mate... it's always interesting hearing related stories.

9. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

I LOVE Suicide Blonde. It's without a doubt one of my top 5 favourite INXS songs. And yet another quintessential song in their cannon of greats. When Andrew wrote the music and presented it to the band and Chris Thomas, they totally dug the track. However, CT noticed that SB was in E minor AND E major and he actually had a problem with that. Once he got over that extremely irregular key change issue, the track was completed. And partly because of that, it is a very unique song. But it's also because of how the multiple funk guitar riffs / chord progressions from each differing key bounce off each other, Charlie Musselwhite's blues harp samples, as well as Garry's bass line. These elements all help to anchor the pulsating rhythmic feel of the track and are some of THE best hooks of any pop rock song I've heard. SB always came off very well executed live. In fact, they haven't played a concert since 1990 without playing it. What an amazing lead single for the X album. SB is top-shelf INXS!

Apart from the annoying vocals, Everybody Wants U Tonight is a decent B-side with some interesting melodic components. But I almost think it should've strictly been an instrumental.

The multiple remixes posted above are enjoyable but as usual, don't add much to the original version.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  10. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Suicide Blonde

Cool track with a rubbery bouncy bass line, a nifty harmonica arrangement, some nice guitar work .....and it felt like the most vapid thing INXS could have possibly released at the time I first heard it in 1990. I can handle it now, and I can admit to its charms and its particular earworm qualities, but at the time I just couldn’t believe that a hip cool band like this would record - as lead single no less - as silly and insignificant a song as this one.

11. mark winstanley

"Disappear"
    [​IMG]
    Single by INXS
    from the album X
    Released
    8 December 1990
    Recorded 1990
    Genre Alternative rock, pop, new wave
    Length 4:10
    Label Atlantic, Mercury
    Songwriter(s) Michael Hutchence, Jon Farriss
    Producer(s) Chris Thomas

"Disappear" is a song by Australian rock band INXS, the second single taken from their album X. The song was written by Jon Farriss and Michael Hutchence while they were living together in Hong Kong in 1989.

"Disappear" peaked at number eight on the US Billboard Hot 100 in February 1991, becoming the band's seventh and final top-ten single. In Canada, the song reached number one for two weeks. It was a lesser hit on the UK Singles Chart, peaking at number 21 in December 1990. At the APRA Music Awards of 1992 the song won Most Performed Australian Work Overseas.[1]

Dutch 7"
    1. "Disappear" (single version)
    2. "Middle Beast"
    UK CDS
    1. "Disappear" (LP Version)
    2. "Disappear" Extended 12" Mix
    3. "What You Need" (Coldcut 'Force' Mix)
    Australian MAXI CD
    1. "Disappear" (LP Version)
    2. "Disappear" Extended 12" Mix
    3. "Middle Beast"
    4. "What You Need" (Coldcut 'Force' Mix)
    Weekly charts
    Chart (1990–1991) Peak
    position
    Australia (ARIA)[2]
    Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)[3] 19
    Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)[4] 12
    Canada Top Singles (RPM)[5] 1
    Europe (Eurochart Hot 100)[6] 43
    Germany (Official German Charts)[7] 43
    Ireland (IRMA)[8] 9
    Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)[9] 9
    Netherlands (Single Top 100)[10] 15
    New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)[11] 25
    Poland (LP3)[12] 1
    Portugal (AFP)[13] 5
    Sweden (Sverigetopplistan)[14] 20
    UK Singles (OCC)[15] 21
    US Billboard Hot 100[16] 8
    US Alternative Airplay (Billboard)[17] 10
    US Dance Club Songs (Billboard)[18] 41
    US Hot Dance Singles Sales (Billboard)[19] 38
    US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)[20] 6
    US Cash Box Top 100[21] 7

Year-end charts[
    Chart (1991) Position
    Canada Top Singles (RPM)[22]
    US Billboard Hot 100[23] 90
    -----------------------------------------------------
    We open with what sounds like a pulsing synth bass, and then same held synth chords come in with the drums, and the doo doo vocalising come into play.

Say I'm crying
    I'm looking at what's on T.V
    Pain and suffering

And the struggle to be free

It can't ever be denied, and I
    Never will ignore
    But when I see you coming
    I can take it all

You're so fine
    Lose my mind
    And the world seems to disappear
    All the problems, all the fears

Say you're mine
    And give yourself to the
    Feelings that you know
    I'm needing
    All that you can give me
    All the things
    That you do so well
    Words are healing
    Sweet anticipation
    Making spells
    As the shadows close in
    Fall across all our yesterdays

You're so fine
    Lose my mind

You're so fine
    Lose my mind

[Chorus]
    Disappear, disappear, disappear, disappear, disappear, disappear, disappear, disappear

Say if I could
    Look into myself and reason
    But I could never never see or
    Make sense of the dealings

Turn around
    Am I looking at salvation?
    Make me realize all that I am, baby
    You put the light inside this man

You're so fine
    Lose my mind

You're so fine
    Lose my mind

You're so fine
    Lose my mind

You're so fine
    Lose my mind...

Songwriters: Michael Hutchence / Jonathan James Farriss
    Disappear lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group, Spirit Music Group

Interestingly, Michael's vocal has a slightly unusual timbre to it. There is a slightly unusual reverb effect on it, but I'm not sure that is what I'm hearing. Not bad at all, just slightly different, in the verses at least.

I really like the dynamic between the verses and the choruses, but I think a little more guitar would have accentuated that a little more.

The way the song pulses and surges is quite infectious, and I do like this song, but listening really close, I am not sure that I like that bouncy/wobbly reverb that they put on the vocal. Nice harmonies though.

It is interesting in some ways that so often with The Swing album, the statement was made that there wasn't much guitar, hence we got Listen Like Thieves, but there was actually a lot of guitar on The Swing .... There isn't that much guitar on this track at all.

Anyway.... sorry this morning kicked in early and I got distracted, so I'm a little disjointed there.

I like this song, not a favourite Inxs song, but I think it is a good one.

Melllvar, The MEZ, ARK and 6 others like this.
  12. mark winstanley

Middle Beast

We get some altered voices to sound like kids, and then move into a drum and bass groove, with a couple of wah guitar chords. Then we get a sort burbling synth thing underneath that.
    I like the groove, and the way this is constructed actually. It doesn't sound very Inxs to me, but it works pretty well for me.
    We get some taped voices mixed in here, and it gives the track a certain type of atmosphere.
    We break down to a Preacher of some sort speaking biblically and more child noises to close out.... Interesting.

13. mark winstanley

What You Need - Cold Cut force mix

I think this is a different mix again, forgive me if we did this prior, I don't think we did.
    Again we have this drum and bass thing. We get a few saxes, the chorus gets a floating kind staccato synth thing, some suppressed guitars.
    Then we move into a bass thing

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  14. mark winstanley

Disappear extended

Sorry ran out of time, here is the extended mix

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  15. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I'm sorry to have to disagree here, but I absolutely love that track as it is. I do wish Jon and Michael had worked on it more, but to me there's something unique about the recording. I still listen to it and love it as much as when it came out.

mark winstanley likes this.
  16. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Disappear

The 2nd single. This is what saved the album for me. After Suicide Blonde I hadn’t ran out to buy X, and probably wouldn’t have unless I hadn’t heard this song and The Stairs. That pulsating bass and Hutchence’s “doo doo” vocalizations intro the track, and the shift to the chorus “You’re so fine/lose my mind/and the world/seems to disappear” is such a positive upbeat infectious moment each time. This song is a ray of sunlight in an overcast sky.

Yes, there isn’t much guitar at all in here, but they’ve written such a catchy beautiful song and I’ve never tired of hearing it. This might be a step too far in the pop direction for some listeners, but if the rest of X was this good there wouldn’t be all that talk of a “letdown”.

17. Bluepicasso

Disappear - 5/5. Wonderful track and such a cool vibe to the verses. Agree that the chorus should have had more guitar but that is a small quibble. Upon first hearing this song, it made me happy and feel good -- 31 years later, it still does the same. To my ears, thumbs-up, whistle, and score-card that reads, "10".

Middle Beast -- 2/5. B-side. I remember buying this online about 10 years ago now or so. Remember putting it on and thinking -- oh well, another one to forget.

18. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Yeah, I find Michael's falsetto here just heavenly. Can anyone confirm that Andrew was against its inclusion on the album?

mark winstanley and Bluepicasso like this.
  19. Bluepicasso

--
    That's interesting. Never heard that.

ARK and mark winstanley like this.
  20. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

From the INXS Anthology liner notes:

Michael wrote the lyrics, and Jon wrote the music. Jon had a great demo he had made of the song when we met to discuss the X album. It was unusual for Michael to sing a verse as high as he did on that recording. When we toured we changed the key from E to A for live shows. A Top 10 hit for us.

Jon Farriss: I had this progression in my head when I was buying a guitar in Dallas 1989. Eventually, when I arrived at our home in Hong Kong that Michael and I were sharing, I wrote the music to "Disappear." Michael could hear the song coming from the studio, and while I was recording it he was writing the lyrics and creating a melody. He came running in and just threw a guide vocal down, and it jelled beautifully with the track.

21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

22. Bluepicasso

23. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Suicide Blonde and Disappear make for a great 1-2 punch album opener. The chorus for Disappear is SO good...I quite like the verses being a little bit sparse, you know, not having quite as much to say because that then provides a really effective contrast with the chorus - which does have a lot to say. lol. Michael's vocal is awesome as usual. I normally don't like doo-up and shooo-up type sounds in songs - don't know why (hate them in Beatles Happiness is a Warm Gun for example) - but it works here and actually adds something. You can't help but sing them. lol. 10/10

24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Does this sound tuned down to you guys, per Andrew's quote above? I'm not hearing it.

25. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

It's a great performance to my ears - to be honest I was kinda distracted by Michael's singing. He really gives a great vocal performance in that video. Such an awesome frontman, so full of energy. LOVE the moment at 2:32. real powerhouse.