INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

--
    Wonderful. Again, this shows the beauty of the band. Each one of us hears different qualities.

2. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Very much enjoying this thread and the comments/reviews thus far

As a fan who was never crazy about anything pre WTWYA I have appreciated the chance to revisit the bands development.

Listen Like Thieves is definitely the pick for me pre '92.

Turns out I love Johnsons Aeroplane off The Swing!

I'm looking forward to hitting Welcome and all that follows.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

We're in opposite worlds, which makes it even more interesting.
    I got Welcome.... about a year ago, on recommendation, I gave it a quick passing listen and liked it... I knew I would be doing this at some point so I let it sit on the shelf.
    I've spun it a couple of times this week, and it's a really solid album... I'm still pondering some production choices, but none of them are game changers.
    I get the impression that Welcome ... is where it was deemed the tide turned for the band or something, but it seems like a good step up from X to me.... so far.

4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Is "By My Side" in waltz time? I'm no musician.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

Close. It is actually a six beat, but technically you could waltz to it, as a waltz is a three beat

pablo fanques, Bluepicasso and twicks like this.
  6. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Beautiful review. You make me love the song even more.

7. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I thought Welcome was a “return to form” after the take-no-chances and stick to the formula album X, but although I felt that way (and so did many other longtime fans) the record buying public had apparently moved on somewhat.

8. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I love Welcome too, but have to admit it comes off slightly reactionary...whereas somehow Achtung Baby feels bold.

dirkster and mark winstanley like this.
  9. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

By My Side is extremely gorgeous in production, style, execution, as well as lyrical / vocal prowess and finesse. I wouldn't change a thing about this track - it's pretty much perfect. And unlike some other fans here, despite utilizing partial orchestral arrangements, I don't think it sounds like NTUA. I find that many of Michael's lyrics are open to interpretation and this song fits that description. There's a hauntingly quaint emotion present that lingers throughout. Absolutely stunning. BMS is another quintessential INXS song. And I'm very surprised it was only a minor hit.

10. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Not to be a pain...but according to the X song book (piano, vocal, guitar), BMS is actually in 12/8. And I agree, regardless, you could waltz to it.

11. mark winstanley

6/4 - 12/8... same thing really.
    I count a six, but at the very basic side of things, unless we move into really odd time, prime number beats, pretty much everything is a three or a four, unless it's a polka :)

12. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Well, in this case, there is a difference. But it's not a big difference. :)

13. mark winstanley

Ok first lets clean up yesterdays tracks I missed

The Other Side

This sound like a promising demo. Parts of it remind me a little of Beautiful Girl ...
    It is interesting that the band stuck with putting demo-like tracks on the b-sides.

14. mark winstanley

Soothe Me

Ok, so it isn't Sam Cooke :)
    This is again somewhat demo-like. It sounds like it could have been cleaned up and arranged into something pretty interesting.
    Not sure who's singing, it doesn't sound like Michael.

15. mark winstanley

Disappear - Morales Mix

This has a sparse kind of floating dance beat type thing going on. They turn the beat around on itself in an interesting way ... not sure that I like it though.

16. mark winstanley

There's also a live take of Faith In Each Other, but I'm not sure which of the live versions it is. If you know, please post it for the folks here.

Cheers

17. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

By My Side is okay. I don't mind it but it pales into comparison compared to NTUA.

3/5.

18. mark winstanley

Lately

We open with a keyboard tone, that rolls through a three note thing, and then a riff guitar comes in, with the drums and bass.

I never knew much
    Enough was enough
    The reasons were not always there
    But the look in your eyes
    Hides that surprise
    I would never have counted on this

Well lately
    You look around
    You're wondering what your doing
    Yeah lately
    You look around
    Your wondering what you seeing
    What your doing

The taste of your freedom
    Was sweeter than love
    Cause you never had a chance to live
    Your blue sky calls
    To seduce and bewitch
    And give you the wings of your fate

Well lately
    You look around
    Yeah lately
    You look around
    What your doing

I never knew much
    Enough was enough
    The reasons were not always there
    But the look in your eyes
    Hides that surprise
    I would never have counted on this

Well lately
    You look around
    Yeah lately
    You look around
    What your doing

Well lately
    You look around
    Yeah lately
    You look around
    What your doing

Songwriters: Michael Hutchence / Andrew Farriss
    Lately lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

This song rocks along nicely, and in amongst the words we get some of Michael's seemingly signature snaps of "oohw" with the reverb effect on it.
    I like this, but I wonder if the keyboard layers may be a little too much. It kind of seems like the song is wanting to rock, and we have a nice rhythm guitar, but the keys have this floating kind of sound to them.
    I guess it is a nice contrast, but it almost seems like it hinders the sound of the song a little ... but the close up listens always seem a little different, so it's hard to tell. there is a nice little guitar break, but it is somewhat buried in the keys too.

The lyrics kind of paint a picture and kind of don't. There are inferences to what this is on about, but they never quite define enough to really give me an idea of the direction .... but they do sound good. It's only when I read them that they seem really vague in their meaning.

I'll say that I like this as an album track, but I think it could have been a bit better with a re-arrangement, possibly just a different approach to the mix.

19. Bluepicasso

The Other Side -- nice little b-side. I hear Beautiful Girl in there too.
    Soothe Me -- I like it, nice little throbbing, little bit blues-latin ditty. Sounds like Andrew to me.
    Lately -- 4.5/5. Good track. One of the type of INXS songs that reflects back to their past. I think the keyboards and guitars mesh quite well. Love songs that do it well, and I think this song is one of them. Equal stay, equal power. This and Hear that Sound are the highlights of side 2.

20. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Lately

This is a decent enough riff-rocker and good overall song, but for me it’s all about the instrumental section that starts at 1:35. We get a guitars-as-bagpipes sound that invokes Big Country and kicks the song up a notch. Without that this song is 3/5 stars, but with it this is a solid 4/5. I look forward to that instrumental section every time I hear Lately and it never disappoints.

21. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I just gave By My Side another listen, and while I think I understand what people see in the song, it still doesn't work for me.

22. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

I find Lately to be a nifty little sing-along. I always end up singing. It's very catchy and I quite like the bass, too. I pretty much agree with @mark winstanley 's review, particularly with regards the keyboard criticism. LOVE the intro though. And riff-rocker is a great way to describe this track! 8/10

23. Bluepicasso

--
    Tend to agree with you Al. It's not cringeworthy or anything -- just limps along for me.

mark winstanley and Al Gator like this.
  24. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

Same here. It's just okay. Miles better than the big strings number on the next album though...

25. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Lately is another fairly generic rocker, and while I enjoy it, after it’s done playing I don’t remember anything about it. And this is pointing out why I think X is a step down from Kick - there are several songs that don't leave much impression on me (and one total clunker, still to come).

mark winstanley likes this.