INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

For me "Lately" is a great example of how having album sides served the music. While not a great track, it kicks off Side 2 with some appreciated urgency...whereas buried in the middle of a CD or streamed album I can see how it would just sort of blend into the wallpaper.

2. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

--
    Agree. Always a shot of inspiration, when after flipping a record, or cassette, it starts off with a bang.

3. Robert Bone

Robert Bone Forum Resident

I
    It's definitely Andrew singing

4. Robert Bone

Robert Bone Forum Resident

5. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

The Other Side floats along nicely with a semi-memorable melody. And I wonder what it would've sounded like with lyrics. It's a good B-side.

Soothe Me is decent at best. Andrew's lead vocals kind of ruin it for me. But the chorus saves the track from falling off the edge of a cliff.

Disappear's Morales mix somewhat works as a dance mix but again, doesn't add much to better the original mix.

Lately is one of the best deep album cuts in INXS' entire catalogue. Excellent keyboard intro & verse guitar riff. Jon's under-mixed hi-hat interplay in the verses is quite astonishing. And I love how the song just slips into the chorus before you necessarily even know you're there (a now signature INXS songwriting attribute). And the chorus guitar arpeggios fit so well. Lately might be Michael's finest baritone range vocal performance. Lyrically, the verses are also some of his best. Uniquely, in the instrumental interlude, the keyboards with both rhythm guitars that play polyrhythmic parts build to crescendo, bringing the track back into the verses seamlessly. Wonderful. Live, Lately was only played on the X tour. And Kirk includes an exquisitely-executed extended saxophone intro. If you haven't heard/seen it, drop everything right now and check this clip out from the recent re-release of Live Baby Live (DVD/BR/4K Ultra). Here it is:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  6. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

It is very interesting. It has a Depeche Mode-ish kind of vibe to it...

7. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

I have the BMS single, so I've heard it. But I can't find it on youtube. It's a great version and one of the rhythm guitar parts in the chorus includes a wah-wah pedal effect that isn't in the original album version...

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Who Pays The Price

I like the hesitant opening. The little walking guitar lick works well, and then we burst into a nice almost blues rock type song.

Yes it's dark sometimes
    When the people are shoving
    Pushing you into the ground
    And you cry in the daylight
    With the sun in your eyes
    Even though you know you're not alone

And it's all been felt before
    You stare out through your window
    And wonder if there's gonna be more

It brings you down
    It's like a war
    Who pays the price
    If you want more

Quiet desperation of a million lives
    Gonna make you change your ways
    We got everything we wanted
    But forgot how we got it
    Just can't paint it golden anyway
    And the strength of all you're giving
    Is gonna make the changes
    Tomorrow's gonna bring a new day

It brings you down
    It's like a war
    Who pays the price
    If you want more

As the years go by
    Will it show on your face
    Or stay hidden behind some door

Yeah you made your resolutions
    With the will of a priest
    But your not so sure anymore

And the reasons why you're living
    Keep changing
    Every time you find a key you find more

It brings you down
    It's like a war
    Who pays the price
    If you want more

[repeat till fade]

Songwriters: Michael Hutchence / Andrew Farriss
    Who Pays the Price lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

We have this nice dynamic arrangement between the somewhat sparse verses and the pounding grinding chorus. I like that, and I think it is effective.

I like the kind of organic instrumentation, and I think that we get a nice arrangement.
    I do get a sort of deja vu from the chorus, but it isn't anything by Inxs, it is almost like it sounds like something by someone else, but nothing specific.
    I really like the fact that they weren't afraid to give this song a bit of punch, and I think the harmonica really adds a nice feel to the sound, and kind of contextually connects it to the opening track of the album.

This is a pretty solid track for me.

9. Bluepicasso

Who Pays the Price: 3.5/5. This song starts the part of the album that blurs until Hear That Sound. It's an okay song, and something I would not go out of my way to listen to on a regular basis. I find the harmonica annoying and the song limps.

10. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I like the dark groove of Who Pays the Price - the music and lyrics work well together. The verses set the mood, and the chorus slams the point home with great playing and a superior arrangement. This one’s a winner.

11. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

This matches my view of this song. On an album that is so polished - this track feels more rough and ready. The harmonica gives the track a bit more of a spontaneous feel.

“Dark groove” - good description.

12. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Who Pays The Price -- again, I like it. Good song. But would it have made the cut on Kick?

13. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Where’s the ‘walking guitar’ bit Mark? Would you mind time giving a time stamp ie which minute/sec on that? I’m always trying to extend my music vocabulary and that’s a neat description.

I LOVE this song but promise not to write an essay this time. First of all, ‘hesitant’ intro is a fantastic way to describe the start. The sound my ear zeroes in on is some sort of shaking instrument (here my vocabulary deserts me). I don’t know what it is…am thinking back to my school days in music lesson, picturing some sort of wooden oblong thing with beans inside of it. Lol. Whatever it is, this sound is understated but important. Take it away and you would’t have that hesitant feel. It’s a tension builder.

The main reason I love this song so much is the bluesy vibe with harmonica and twangy cowboy guitar. I am crazy about twangy guitar. Not jangly guitar associated with C&W which I’m not a fan of. I am absolutely obsessed with any music that sounds remotely like it could soundtrack a cowboy movie (reason I gave Royal Blood a chance years back as they have some awesome progressive tracks in this area, including one where they mimic a rap beat, sadly they’ve not continued to impress me). Back on topic: Lyrically, ‘and you cry in the daylight with the sun in your eyes’ strikes a vivid image of someone blinking tears under the hot sun and of course, I’m transported to cowboy country, the plains, or rocky terrain, some barren place…actually I’m probably thinking of the video for Kiss the Dirt. The other standout lyric is ‘we got everything we wanted but forgot how we got it.’ One of my favourite tracks from this album. Needless to say, this song gets a 10/10 from me. :righton:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  14. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Might have been able to replace Tiny Daggers. I've given it a 10/10 within the context of this album, but I also feel it could have gone on Kick last as a bookend to Devil Inside.

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

Probably a poor description, but I was referring to that bit of intro guitar.
    When I hear it, it sounds like someone doing a stealth-like creeping walk...
    I see an almost comical secret agent type creeping up on someone in a staggered walk. Lol .... yea I know, my psychological issues would keep a team busy for years :)

16. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

That's such an awesome description...I'm going to listen to it again now to see if I can picture the guitar ninja...:laugh:

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

Write as much as you need to say what you need to say mate.
    I doubt anyone is perturbed.

To me the comments are the thread. Sure the subject is the song/album whatever, but the bread and butter of the thread is sharing how it makes you feel... whether from an emotional, intellectually, sensual or whatever perspective...
    I read all the comments (when possible), and appreciate them whether I agree or not, because it all sheds light on the music we're looking at

18. mark winstanley

Lol

19. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Who Pays The Price is probably my favourite album track from X. Here's why: it's bluesy as hell. The lyrics, as well as the rest of the arrangements, are all fantastic, and contribute to making what essentially is a blues rock song. BUT Charlie Musselwhite's harmonica lines/riffs, along with the guitar riffs, ARE the song. And for all the fans who think INXS weren't moving forward stylistically, at least somewhat, during this era, WPTP proves them wrong. The only downside to this song, is that it's too short! What an amazing track! And when played live (unfortunately, yet another song from X not played live since 1991), Andrew does an excellent job playing CM's harmonica parts. Here's a great example of that from the 1-22-91 Buenos Aires, River Plate Stadium show (the LBL version on youtube has apparently been blocked)...

20. mark winstanley

Know The Difference

We dive straight into a beat. The guitar starts in the background and very effected, but slowly moves into the foreground.

You're driving all over town
    In your big car
    Windows down
    Sweet perfume trails behind
    The impression is in my mind
    It's crazy how much I ache
    For the moments we could make
    Your girlfriends they like to talk
    Yeah they told me about your boy

What you do and what you say
    Do you know the difference anyway

Could I show you what's in store
    Cause I know you'll be wanting more
    You're the kind of girl who knows
    What you want and where it goes

You got instinct
    You got class
    Why don't you leave that guy on his ass
    Good intentions are not enough
    We should join hands and rise above

It's crazy how much I ache
    For the moments we could make
    Your girlfriends they like to talk
    Yeah they told me about your boy

Your driving all over town
    In your big car
    Windows down
    Sweet perfume trails behind
    The impression is in my mind

Songwriters: Michael Hutchence / Andrew Farriss
    Know the Difference lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

This track isn't bad, it seems to be reaching for the magic of the previous album to some degree, but it does step outside of that and tries to bring on board some different things.
    I think we have some nice chord changes that aren't quite typical, and do add a little bit of flavour.
    On the whole though this is just an average kind of Inxs song, that is fine when I am listening to the album, but doesn't do anything to make me seek it out.

21. mark winstanley

Reference guide

The band's origins

May 1980 Simple Simon / We Are The Vegetables

Aug 1980 Live Paris Theatre, Sydney

Oct 1980 Inxs (debut album)
    On A Bus
    Doctor
    Just Keep Walking - On TV
    Learn To Smile
    Jumping
    In Vain - live - interview
    Roller Skating - live
    Body Language
    Newsreel Babies
    Wishy Washy - live
    Just Keep Walking b-side Scratch

Mar 1981 The Loved One/The Unloved One

Sept 1981 Stay Young/Lacavocal

Oct 1981 Underneath The Colours
    Stay Young
    Horizons
    Big Go Go
    Underneath The Colours
    Fair Weather Ahead
    Night Of Rebellion
    Follow
    Barbarian
    What Would You Do?
    Just To Learn Again
    Prehistoria - bside

1982 INXSive

Live 8/12/1982 -Sydney

Four Corners - Flavour Of The Month

After Dark Interview

Oct 1982 Shabooh Shoobah - Ad
    The One Thing - 12" - live - countdown
    To Look At You - 12" - live 84
    Spy Of Love - live
    Soul Mistake - live
    Here Comes - live
    Black And White - live
    Golden Playpen - live
    Jan's Song - live
    Old World New World - live
    Don't Change - Countdown
    b-sides
    Space Shuttle
    Phantim Of The Opera
    Sax Thing
    You Never Used To Cry
    Here Comes II
    Go West
    Long In Tooth

1982 Freedom Soundtrack - with Don Walker
    Speed Kills
    Forest Theme

Stop The Drop - live Feb 83

Inxs at LA Zoo

Mar 1983 Live At Perkins Palace

May 1983 US Festival

Sept 1983 Dekadance US
    Black And White 12"
    To Look At You 12"
    The One Thing 12"
    Here Come II new version

Apr 1984 The Swing
    Original Sin - single - video
    Melting In The Sun - video
    I Send A Message - single - live - live - live
    Dancing On The Jetty - video
    The Swing - live
    Johnson's Aeroplane
    Love Is (What I Say) - video - videos
    Face The Change - live
    Burn For You - single mix - live
    All The Voices - video
    B-sides
    Jans Song/To Look At You (live)
    Mechanical
    The Harbour
    Johnson's Aeroplane alt.

April 1984 Dekadance
    Original Sin - Dance Mix
    I Send A Message - ext
    Burn for You - ext
    Dancing On The Jetty - remix
    Melting In The Sun - remix
    Love Is ( What I Say) - remix
    Jackson

1985 The Swing And Other Stories (video)
    The video

Merry Christmas (fan club)

Oct 1985 Listen Like Thieves
    What You Need - 12"
    Listen Like thieves - 12" - video
    Kiss The Dirt - video - 12"
    Shine Like It Does - live
    Good + Bad Times
    Biting Bullets
    This Time
    Three Sisters
    Same Direction
    One X One
    Red Red Sun
    b-sides
    Sweet As Sin
    I'm Over You
    Different World
    Begotten
    Six Knots

1985 The Living Inxs

1985 Oz For Africa

Feb 1986 Do What You Do - Pretty In Pink

Dec 1986 Dogs In Space

Dogs In Space
    Golf Course
    The Green Dragon
    Rooms For The Memory - movie version

Jul 1987 Laying Down The Law - Lost Boys

1987 Australian Made

1987 Inxs and Jimmy Barnes Good Times - live

Oct 1987 Kick
    Guns In The Sky - Kookaburra mix - Kick Ass Mix
    New Sensation - Nick's 12" mix
    Devil Inside - video - radio edit - 12" mix
    Need You Tonight - full video - Mendelsohn Mix - Ben Liebrand Mix - Andrew Farris
    Mediate
    The Loved One
    Wild Life
    Never Tear Us Apart - video - alt.
    Mystify - video - Chicago demo
    Kick
    Calling all Nations - Alt. mix
    Tiny Daggers
    b-sides
    On The Rocks
    I'm Coming (Home)
    Move On

Aug 6th 1988 Toronto Live

1988 Kick The Video Flick

1989 In Search Of Excellence

Sep 1989 Max Q
    Sometimes - video/straight rock mix -Rock House ext. - dub
    The Way Of The World - 12"
    Ghost Of The Year
    Everything
    Concrete
    Zero-2-0 - Terry Todd Remix
    Soul Engine
    Buckethead
    Monday Night By Satellite
    Tight
    Ot-Ven-Rot
    b-sides
    Love Man
    Zero 2 0

Sept 1990 X
    Suicide Blonde - earth - devastation - milk - demolition - 7" nik - performance - video
    Disappear - 12" - live - Morales Mix
    The Stairs
    Faith In Each Other
    By My Side - demo
    Lately
    Who Pays The Price
    Know The Difference

b-sides
    Everybody Wants You Tonight
    Middle Beast
    What You Need Cold Cut Force
    The Other Side
    Soothe Me

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD and The MEZ like this.
  22. Bluepicasso

Know the Difference 3/5. Another good song but nothing really jumps out to me. A ditty, what a pity. The album gets stuck in a rut here.

23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Quite like Know The Difference, but during the Wembley performance Tim Farriss makes a very juvenile hand gesture during the "what she wants and where it goes" line and it's embarrassing for everyone, LOL.

24. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Know The Difference

Ok, so this is the “weakest link” on X for me. The percussion track reminds me of “Need You Tonight” - and that’s a distraction. This is not a bad song, but I think INXS is trying to put a little bit of a party mood back into the album with this one instead of staying serious and they don’t succeed. The previous two tracks have been great, but this one is a bit of a lightweight and doesn’t do much to stand out. It’s the “Wild Life” of X - but I like Wild Life much more. They had a great track called “Waiting To Be Free” (see the 2002 reissue) that they could have used instead of this one and it would been an excellent upgrade.

25. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Right after one of the album’s best tracks, we get Know the Difference. This seems like an attempt at a dance track, but it doesn’t have the depth I’ve come to expect from this band. Some of the lyrics are downright embarrassing - “you’re the kind of girl who knows what you want and where it goes.” Seriously? This song is a straight-up clunker, and it's where the album starts to fall apart for me.