INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Bitter Tears has INXS written all over it and was an obvious choice for a single. Nothing particularly groundbreaking here but that doesn't matter because it's simply an enjoyable classic pop rock tune that only INXS could write. Every part of the arrangement works to enhance things melodically, rhythmically, vocally & lyrically. And I dig how the bridge appears 1/3 of the way into the song - most bridges written that only appear once, are usually 3/4 of the way into a song. Kirk's sax lines are perfect compliments and his distorted strat guitar feedback leading to the song's outro before fading out is a really nice touch.

Both the Lorimer 12" and Tears Are Bitter remixes constructed as dance mixes are likeable. And I dig the flute solo/lines, partly because of the temerity to include such an instrument in one (or two) of their songs.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  2. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Well, much of the guitar parts were distorted and somewhat edgier (albeit a bit buried in the mix), especially Kirk's, as the song fades out...

3. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

These are all good questions and points made and I mostly agree. But I'll leave my general comments for the X album wrap-up in a couple of days...:)

4. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

--
    Not enough for me mate. Best

5. Bluepicasso

I've been thinking that every band has a shelf life. Perhaps, they reached it with Kick. Ten years is a long time in a band. The Stones are an exception, especially when listening to the songs that have mysteriously appeared.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. Archon

Archon Forum Resident

I don't understand the point you're making here?

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  7. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Don't bury these guys yet, still plenty of good tunes ahead!

8. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

You seem to be the only one who thinks X is their best album...:winkgrin:

9. Bluepicasso

I’m not!

10. Bongo B

Bongo B Double Pedal Demon Deacon

I think you're not far off, here. I was, and remain, a huge INXS fan. I saw them in 1988 on the Calling All Nations tour, and it was a great show.

However, I often can't help but compare them to U2, and to regret that LLT, Kick, and X didn't follow the same progression as The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby (although, admittedly, this is omitting Rattle & Hum, which could be argued either way as part of the sequence of "new" music). If you think about it, all three albums from each band were basically contemporaries and the first two from each were similar (albeit not identical) in their reaches, and yet X didn't come anywhere close to being the revolutionary artistic step that Achtung Baby represented. 30 years later, Achtung Baby is still my favorite of all of them, and probably always will be. I regret that X was not more of a challenge to that supremacy.

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I find the U2 comparisons interesting, I'm really not sure I see it.
    In some ways, although I've never considered it before, I would see more similarities with Simple Minds
    New Gold Dream, Sparkle In The Rain, Once Upon A Time.
    The Swing, Listen Like Thieves, Kick.
    Pop exploration, harder edge, perfecting the pop/rock sound.

But it's always difficult trying to follow the threads of similarity, because of the differences of the people involved

12. DanP

DanP Forum Resident

Really good point. But if you draw the line as:
    LLT, Kick/X, WTWYA - equals - Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree/R&H, Achtung Baby
    the comparison holds water, and rather than X being the failure to break new ground, it's WTWYA that actually did that. But, because we live in an infinitely unfair universe, it wasn't hailed by the general public as such.

13. mark winstanley

On My Way

We open with a solid beat, a bit of a variation on the gated reverb on the snare. The bass and guitar seem to be quite forward and clear in the mix. This seems to have a nice raw, live-ish feel, and I like that . Perhaps a slightly more forward live-ish approach to the production of this album may have been the little bit of difference to make people feel less inclined to compare it to the Kick album? I don't know .....
    I actually really like this track.

We open with this nice broken kind of rhythm and there is a real sense of a rock song going on here.

Shake make it forever
    Curling from you lips
    Faith and it's not over
    Bring on that famous word

Love don't abuse it
    And you'll never be sad again

I'm on my way
    I'm on my way

Blood's getting hotter
    Thinking about your hips
    I feel all the hunger
    The minute you turn away

I think it's getting better
    But I can't wait another day

I'm on my way
    I'm on my way

Make all your wishes
    No sooner said than done
    Here I come like I told you
    Whether it's air, land or sea

She said this is the real thing
    Cause your never gonna find the door

I'm on my way
    I'm on my way
    I'm on my way
    I'm on my way
    I'm on my way

Love don't abuse it
    And you'll never be sad again

I'm on my way

[repeat till end]

Songwriters: Michael Hutchence / Andrew Farriss
    On My Way lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

This seems like a pretty straight forward lust/love song. In context that is probably the context for the pretty straight rock feel we have here.

I like the harmonica accents, I think they give it a really nice raw sound....

In fact really I like the way they have gone about this track. We just have a nice short sharp punch of a song, that for me at least adds a bit of punch to the album.
    I guess there is nothing particularly special about the song, but the sound and feel work for me.

14. Bluepicasso

I'm On My Way 3.5/5. Sorry guys but another song in the seemingly endless queue of similarity. It's good on its own if put on a comp, but this song doesn't do anything for me besides being a toe-tapper. For me, the harmonica is overplayed on this album. Don't mind the instrument, but... For it to be a brief song, adds to the points being raised.

15. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

On My Way

A song like “Lately” would have benefited from the same live-ish raw approach we have on this song: imagine “Lately” recorded in the same style as Listen Like Thieves..... I daydream.

This is not a major track, but I too like the sound and feel of it. So much of X has all the sharp edges sanded off to make it safer for the pop/MTV markets, thus it's a breathe of fresh air when we hear something a little more improvised and back to basics.

16. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I don’t get much out of On My Way. I find it repetitive and uninteresting; these are the songs that pull X so far down in my estimation.

Bluepicasso and mark winstanley like this.
  17. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Darn, I missed Bitter Tears. My work hours have increased after coming off furlough, for which I'm grateful, as it means I still have job. Anyway, Bitter Tears is a great song. Very INXSish...terrific vocal performance from Michael. I would even say that it's an INXS classic. Great drums, sax, guitar and I particularly like the keyboard. My only criticism is the bass is all but forgotten about...but I'm one of those that would crank the bass on every single track there ever was (I would not make a good producer!). Is it a just a tad overproduced??? Or is that my bass bias kicking in?

8/10. Taking two marks off for lack of discernible bass.

On My Way is a solid track, not terribly inspired but it's catchy. I like the clapping and the harmonica and there's a nicely timed bell sound again to add to the sonic texture (I don't know why I always seem to pick up bell noises!). Wisely, it's a brief song, doesn't outstay it's welcome. I approve. 7/10

18. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

On My Way is the other average song from X. It's not particularly original, as it sounds an awful lot like The Rolling Stones. However, the production, distorted guitar riffs and general arrangements are excellent and the melody is catchy. And Charlie Musselwhite absolutely kills it and plays the most badass harmonica lines you've ever heard - amazing! He is the superstar here and saves OMW from being less than average.

19. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I like the increasingly bluesy approach on some of their songs as we go thru the albums. I also think it’s a shame they wrote some more directly rock-oriented tracks such as “Move On (guitar version)” and “Waiting To Be Free” but left those OFF each of the last two albums. The addition of “Waiting To Be Free” on X at the expense of “Know The Difference” would have.... made a difference.

20. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Bitter Tears: A personal favorite and still a staple on the radio station that I listen to. Overall, it's undoubtedly INXS in terms of sound. Love the instrumentation which is outright catchy and naturally, Micheal's voice glides over the music with such perfection.

On My Way:
    We get to the penultimate track and for me, it's a solid rocker. Great guitar work, a catchy rhythm section and the harmonica adds some serious energy. Fun and enjoyable, enough said.

21. Archon

Archon Forum Resident

Right. What's your point with these replies? What was the wink for with your first comment?

Do you believe my opinion is any less valid because I'm the only one - out of the tiny amount of INXS fans who are even on this forum and have seen this thread - who regards this album as my favourite?

Or do I deserve a wink for my subjective opinion?

I really see the point you're trying to make.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  22. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

I'm just joking around.

I actually "liked" your initial post. And I think it's COOL that you seem to be the only one who thinks X is their best album. :righton:

23. mark winstanley

Hear That Sound

We open up with some sounds that give us the feeling that this is going to be somewhat like a 12" mix type track.
    A kick comes in and we get some percussion and a few various sounds drop in and out, and then we roll into the vocal.

So your time has come
    Children watch the fools
    Don't let anyone tell you
    What you must do

Do you like what you see
    Or does it make you cry
    Use your imagination
    And start a fire

Hear that sound
    There's a voice to be found
    Making changes go round
    Hear that sound

And my selfish ways
    Disappeared one day
    With the realization
    Of a new way

Images of the free
    Coming into view
    Our hearts full of promises
    Of all we can do

Hear that sound
    Making changes go round
    Hear that sound

So your time has come
    Children watch the fools
    Don't let anyone tell you
    What you must do

Do you like what you see
    Or does it make you cry
    Use your imagination
    And start a fire

Hear that sound
    Making changes go round
    Hear that sound

Hear that sound
    Making changes go round
    Hear that sound

Songwriters: Farriss / Hutchence
    Hear That Sound lyrics © Chardonnay Investments Ltd., Xl Publishing Pty. Ltd., Inxs Publishing Pty. Ltd., Wb Music Corp. O/b/o Muziekuitgeverij Artemis B.v.

This seems to be a motivational type song, encouraging the listener, particularly young people to find their own voice based on the things they see in live and how they naturally react to them.
    It is a pretty decent lyric.

Musically it is pretty good too. We certainly sound like Inxs, but the arrangement again gives it some pep for me.
    The verses pump along with a fairly typical kind of rock/pop chord progression and are dressed up nicely with a phrase ending keyboard.

We change tack in the chorus and the snare goes into a double time feel, and the keyboard does this sort of dreamlike rising arpeggio type thing.... I reckon it works well.

About the 2 minute mark we get a really nice kick in of intensity, as Michael raises the vocal intensity.
    We have these smooth sort of modulations through the track where the song seems to move in key, but the transitions are so smooth. Anyway, I am a bit bleary eyed and unfocussed, so excuse my vagueness.

I don't think this is the bands best closing track, but again for me I think this is a solid track.... on listening to it like this, I certainly don't see anything wrong with it.

24. Bluepicasso

Hear That Sound 5/5. Excellent song and closer. After the previous songs since The Stairs, besides Lately, this song is a welcome relief. Old INXS returns with a bit of fresh new make-up. What I love about bands such as INXS is the mix of keyboard and guitar sounds. The correct balance is here. Song points to the next album a bit. Love the ending. Jon kicks **** here!

25. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

X isn’t their best album but I still really like it. Isn’t it Jon Farriss’ favourite album? I’m sure he mentioned it in an interview a few years ago. Can’t be that bad?