INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

So X ends up being a bit of a surprise to me. It certainly isn't my favourite Inxs album, but there seems to have been a sort of negative attitude towards it, when I have heard folks talk about it .... it seems to be generally where folks feel the breakdown began or something....
    I guess I don't hear it like that, because aside from the singles I never heard it.
    Inxs had started moving away from my interest spectrum by the time Kick came out, which doesn't mean I don't like the album, but it just wasn't really lined up with my interests at the time. Obviously it is a classic pop/rock album, and the writing is very professional, and it connected in a way that all bands hope their albums will .... I just wasn't really looking to connect with pop/rock albums at that time. I was recording and listening to more experimental things, because that's where my interest was at the time.
    So the revisit of Kick here was a very nice little catch up on where the band was, and how far they had progressed in their journey.
    Listening to X in hindsight, as I would have heard less songs at the time, although still a few, X seems less searching ... the guys aren't exploring their options as much as they had been prior, but is that really a bad thing. Sometimes you need to revise where you have been to be able to move on ....
    The cynic in me feels that this album was intentionally, to some degree made to try and reproduce the magic of Kick, and like trying to relive life events and get the same response ... well it never happens the same, so it normally disappoints ...

It is extremely common for a band to have a massive life changing album and for it to overwhelm them... they feel they have something to live up to, and we all know the record company is wanting the formula to be repeated, because it means bucks for the boys. I think to a degree the band leans into the idea of re-Kick-ing, but not with an exclusivity. I get the feeling the harmonica getting some use on a few tracks was an attempt to give the album a different twist, and I think it works.

On the whole from my perspective X is a very good album, it isn't quite up there, but it is solid. We have some stand out tracks, and we have some solid album tracks, that may not take new ground, but they certainly don't disgrace the old ground.
    I find the By My Side discussion the most interesting one here, because aside from some instrument similarities, I really just don't see the song as being particularly like Never Tear Us Apart, and it is very interesting that so many do. I'm certainly not saying they weren't looking for a big ballad with a heart touching delivery and all that stuff, but for me the song is very different.... and I may even prefer it..... but to some degree perception is reality, and I do understand why folks see it that way .... and that is somewhat like the whole album.
    I don't necessarily see this as a copy of Kick, but I do think it is hindered by the success of Kick, because it seems like the guys lost a natural flow if movement here. It had been this natural flow since the debut album, and here it just seems like they lost that smooth flow.
    Another thing to consider is the break they had. there was just that little break, certainly deserved, but it can stall momentum. Michael did the Max Q album, and it was quite different to Inxs, and I don't know what the rest of the guys did, but like playing sport, sometimes it takes a couple of games after a break to get your rhythm back after a break.... so perhaps that is what happened here.
    Unfortunately in the music business, you need to stay on the hot list, because the fickle world of pop tends to move in very quickly, and the short break and gathering of breath after the hard yards leading up to success can be fatal.... it certainly wasn't fatal in this instance, but the times were a changin' and I don't think the follow up album reached its potential because of all the factors we can see.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble, hope that isn't irritating.

I reckon this is a good album, but maybe not as good as it could have been, and the shadow of Kick, however that manifested, seems to have created this situation.

Anyway, it is going to be really interesting to see where we go from here. I have listened to the next album, and I think it is a very good album, but in the meantime we will have the live album.... I need to get my thoughts together and make sure I am not missing anything, but I think that's where we are next.
    We discussed how to got about the live album, and everyone was split down the middle. So out response will be split down the middle. We won't do one song a day, nor will we do the whole album in a couple of day review... We will do three or four songs a day, depending on how much time I have on any given day, and we'll land somewhere in the middle.

Cheers guys
    Mark

2. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

X - has the problem of following a massively-selling and respected album. I'm sure record executives were saying -- we want another just like it. Here lies my problem with the album. They conformed when they should have rebelled. These songs are too sanitized, especially the area which I have critiqued a lot. Songs made to order instead of being inspired. Also, when the public heard the new songs, they thought, what, are they still -- selling -- Kick? I was there and heard these complaints. I had these complaints too back then, but I was glad to have new songs. INXS should have went into a different direction like they did with Welcome. When they finally did, people had stopped taking notice and moved on. The business is fickle, the business is horrible, and the business used them. Now, I don't mind listening to this album, but it is a "work" album. Something to have on in the background while I work for some company, not something I listen to with curiosity like their 3rd or 4th album.

3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

This is all true...but I'd guess the touring that followed X was probably the biggest money-making period for the band and probably set them up for life. It certainly makes business sense to give the people what they want, at least in the short term.

It's easy in hindsight to look at Achtung Baby and wonder why INXS didn't go there first and become the ultimate critical darlings...but U2 was coming off a perceived failure with Rattle & Hum, whereas INXS was riding a career high off Kick. Shaking things up didn't make a ton of sense then or now.

4. Bluepicasso

Never saw Rattle & Hum as the next proper album. It was live curiosity with some subpar tracks.

twicks likes this.
  5. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

True, but the film's perceived failure (I love it) seemed to galvanize the band, right?

I should add that, as much as I like Welcome, it's not in the same league as Achtung Baby, which IMO is one of the greatest rock records ever. Even if INXS had "gotten there first" so to speak I don't think the reaction would have been the same.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    mark winstanley and Bluepicasso like this.
  6. Bluepicasso

--
    Possibly, but I think they wanted to move on from that era anyway. From their interviews, they said Achtung was the sound of them cutting down the Joshua Tree, not silencing Rattle & Hum.

ARK, mark winstanley and twicks like this.
  7. mark winstanley

The other thing about U2 is they pretty much rose to the top very quickly. They were being called the band of the eighties in 83/84.
    Inxs, sadly like all Aus bands, had struggled their way into the limelight, and held it for that fleeting moment.. they certainly didn't just "disappear", but they never managed to double up and capture the audiences widespread attention again.
    U2 were starting to rocket from their second album, by the time War came out, they were right in the forefront of eighties rock... after that stage, they just had success after success.
    As much as folks say Rattle and Hum wasn't successful, in 88 it had sold 3 million, and by 95 it had sold 5 million.
    U2 are one of the biggest ever selling rock bands.

8. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

Thanks for saving me a lot of typing, @mark winstanley ! :laugh: I’ve only quoted a few paragraphs, but you basically nailed my feelings on X in your whole post. Really, couldn’t say it any better.

9. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Hear That Sound

Until a month ago I had forgotten about this closing track. When trying to remember it my brain couldn’t come up with a melody or a hook. Having remembered it now, and re-listened a dozen times or more, I can say I really like this one. It’s a rousing way to conclude the album. The false ending isn’t really necessary, but it does no harm.

X (album summary)

Here’s where I atone for slagging this album in the past and admit it’s a damn fine piece of work. Mark hits it right when he says this is more of Kick’s kid brother, or that the album is “Re-Kick-ed”. Not really exploring or reaching for new sounds and methods here, but it’s a fine collection of songs with only one dud.

Back when The Rolling Stones or CCR or really any of the classic bands from the late 60’s-early 70’s was releasing 2-3 albums a year nobody was complaining about a “lack of progression” but by the late 80’s when the recording-promoting-touring cycle for each album was 2-3 years it was often the case that a band might fall out of fashion or lose the zeitgeist. I think that happened here with INXS: they had spent ten years working without a break, finally got the big huge success they were striving for, then took a well-earned time out and came back to find they were’t the hottest commodity on MTV any longer. Still “big” - but not “mega-big”.

INXS don’t have very many B-sides or non-album tracks that are in finished form with vocals from Hutchence, which is why it’s a treat that there are three from X. Here’s a playlist I’ve settled on that makes the album even more fun:

01 Suicide Blonde
    02 Salvation Jane (X outtake used on some Greatest Hits as a “new song”)
    03 Disappear
    04 The Stairs
    05 Faith In Each Other
    06 By My Side
    07 Deepest Red (X outtake used as Bside on Heaven Sent single from next album)
    08 Lately
    09 Waiting To Be Free (X outtake released on the 2002 reissue)
    10 Who Pays The Price
    11 Bitter Tears
    12 On My Way
    13 Hear That Sound

Sent off to exile:
    “Know The Difference” - maybe this can be one of those CD bonus tracks from the 90’s where the album is over but 25 minutes later this song starts playing. I might like it better that way. :)

10. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Hear That Sound is a good closer. It’s got a feeling and memorable melody that grab me and make me want more. It’s one of my favorite tracks on the album.

In the end, I think X could have used a little longer to mature before being released. But there must have been intense pressure to get out that follow-up, and the band submitted to it. I don’t hear the great melodies and incredible tightness of the earlier albums, and it’s a real step down from Kick, it doesn’t break new ground, and I must admit that I don’t reach for it very often.

11. mark winstanley

I know it is a little redundant, because this all already happened lol....
    But without taking in b-sides or leftovers, as I haven't visited the leftovers yet, I would probably do something like this.

The Stairs
    Faith In Each Other
    Disappear
    I'm On My Way
    By My Side
    Who Pays The Price

Suicide Blonde
    Know The Difference
    Bitter Tears
    Lately
    Hear The Sound

Something like that.
    I think The Stairs has a fairly natural album opening feel. Different enough to be interesting, and engaging enough to keep the listener on board, and the extended intro seems to suggest opening song to me.
    Faith in each other is good, and keeps the listener engaged without top loading thecalbum too much.
    Disappear is a solid track, and a single, and keeps everybody on board.
    I'm on my way changes things up, and gives us something a little more raw, in the middle-ish part of the album.
    By my side adds another little change, into the ballad world, so again keeping it mixed up, but still being a strong track as well.
    Who pays the price comes up in the order, to try and address the fade off of the album a little.

If we are rolling a record, that seems like a good end to side one.
    If a cd, it still flows on nicely.

Suicide Blonde .. if a record, it is a good kick off for side two, without being the face of the album.
    Know the difference can fit in here and hold its ground a little better
    Bitter Tears is a solid sing, even if it isn't surprising, it is a very good Inxs song.
    Lately comes in later, I think it strengthens the second half, or side of the album.
    Hear the sound is a strong finisher anyway, so it holds that position.

I know it doesn't change the songs, but it changes their presentation. I also think that the (in my opinion) better songs being spread a little more, gives the other songs more likely exposure through the listen, and they will eek their way into the listeners mind a bit more.

To some degree it feels like X is a little top loaded, and I think that rarely helps an "album".

12. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Good points here about this song.

Another observation about this album: there aren’t any cross-fades or near-overlaps between tracks. INXS does this on many albums, but not on X. Even if I wanted to rearrange some of their other albums the cross-fades would lock certain tracks into place relative to each other.

13. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Nah, U2 didn’t really hit big until Live Aid in ‘85. They started to make some noise with War and The Unforgettable Fire, but it wasn’t really until Live Aid that a lot of people stood up and took notice. Also, Achtung Baby! Didn’t come out until the end of 1991 (November I think). X was a year before. No one expected U2 to go in the direction that they did, so much that some fans struggled to accept AB. Achtung Baby gave a big kick up the **** of both corporate and alternative rock bands that a lot of them either started to pull their fingers out (INXS, Duran, etc) or simply faded away (Simple Minds for example).

twicks likes this.
  14. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Since we're comparing '80s groups, how about this:

X is to Kick as
    Green is to Document?

15. mark winstanley

They were being called the band of the eighties by just about everyone in 83/84.
    Live Aid making U2 big is a fallacy.
    It did increase their already huge base, but it is not what made them

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  16. mark winstanley

No argument from me. I'm not sure how Achtung Baby became so closely compared with X here really. I don't really see a connection

David Jakubowski and Bluepicasso like this.
  17. Bluepicasso

--
    They were massive in 1983/84 in the States. Under A Blood Red Sky was mega...many kids on the streets were wearing their uniform t-shirts on that one.

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

Yea same in Oz. They broke through really early

Bluepicasso likes this.
  19. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

War hit number 9 in Oz and 12 in the US. The Unforgettable Fire (October 84) hit 1 in Oz and 12 in the US. Both hit number 1 in the UK. They were certainly on the up, but Live Aid gave them massive exposure. It was a pivotal moment for the band. Pre Live Aid, the biggest band in the world was arguably Duran Duran, after Live Aid, it was Queen for about a year and then U2. At least that is how I remember it!

20. mark winstanley

We'll have to agree to disagree.
    We're talking Inxs, and I don't want to get bogged down in U2 rabbit trails :righton:

21. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Heart That Sound is a perfect closing track and compliments the overall pop rock (and sometimes bluesy) sonics of X in a variety of ways. It's probably the most melodic song from the album, as well as the most uplifting emotionally - especially when halfway into it, Michael starts singing an octave above where he began earlier, with Tim's distorted guitar & Andrew's keyboard parts following but without going up an octave. I also really like when after the fade happens, how only the keyboard sounds return to give you another short but sweet melodic taste before fading out again. Brilliant. And again, contrast is always something INXS did exceptionally well.

Thanks to mark's excellent X album summary, I won't have to provide as much of my own take on X. However, having said that, there is at least major thing I disagree with many fans on. And that is, despite that INXS weren't moving forward stylistically as much they had in the past, they still were to a certain extent. The primary example being the inclusion of a more bluesier feel to some of X, thanks in part to Charlie Musselwhite (found on SB, WPTP & OMW). This was almost a brand new approach for them and their sound. And this component enhanced the album's enjoyment for me considerably. This is important to point out, because, at this stage in INXS' career, almost no one here thinks they were moving forward at all. Also, some of Chris Thomas' production techniques were unique and extremely effective. Though, it's too bad they had a bit of a falling out with him. And apart from the two new tracks on their 1994 Greatest Hits album, they never worked together again. Apart from Deepest Red, the tracks that didn't wind up on X that have been released over the years (Waiting To Be Free & Salvation Jane) are good, but simply weren't strong enough to be included. As an album, X is very good. Is it their best album? No. There are two average tracks (KTD & OMW) and nine solid tracks. Is there indifference amongst the fanbase because of the lack of re-invention? Absolutely. But Andrew, Michael & Jon's songwriting skills, as well as the rest of the band's performances, are top-notch overall. Also, the sonics, production and even the artwork, are fantastic. But admittedly, after the X tour ended in July 1991, I think they instinctively knew that with their next studio album, they had to start shaking things up again and re-invent themselves, like they were used to doing. Only next time, much more so...

Here are my ratings for the songs from X...

X ~ 4.45/5

Suicide Blonde ~ 5/5
    Disappear ~ 4.5/5
    The Stairs ~ 4/5
    Faith In Each Other ~ 4/5
    By My Side ~ 5/5
    Lately ~ 5/5
    Who Pays The Price ~ 5/5
    Know The Difference ~ 3.5/5
    Bitter Tears ~ 5/5
    On My Way ~ 3.5/5
    Hear That Sound ~ 4.5/5

22. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

It is Jon's favourite INXS album. The other 5 cite WTWYA as their favourite INXS album.

Not to get back into comparisons with U2 (like in certain other threads from the past...:doh:), but it's important to point out that WTWYA was mostly written before AB was even released. And even though I can't prove it, I've heard that MH was apparently in the studio with U2 when they were mixing AB in the summer of 1991. However, INXS recorded WTWYA just after AB came out. Also, up until the '90s, creatively & stylistically speaking, INXS were light years ahead of U2. Anyway...:doh:

Bluepicasso and mark winstanley like this.
  23. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Just to throw in my 2 cents before we get to one of the greatest albums ever made (no, not Live Baby Live) is that INXS probably would have been able to come out on top over U2 or at least been seen as equals into the 90s if:

1) X never existed and instead the songs "Suicide Blonde", "Disappear", "Bitter Tears", and maybe "The Stairs" appeared in place of the weaker songs on Kick and kicked (pun kinda/not intended) that whole album way way into the stratosphere.

2) Instead of X appearing in the market in 1990, we got WTWYA instead. Having WTWYA out in 1990 and also before Achtung Baby arrived, would have showed with no doubt INXS as true visionaries that were going to one-up the rapidly changing music scene as grunge/alternative music was starting to take over. Imagine Achtung Baby coming out a year later as originally intended and everybody comparing it then to WTWYA.

Bluepicasso likes this.
  24. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Hear that Sound:

After 30 years, it still remains one of my favorite songs in the catalog and judging by the play count in iTunes, it's in the top 5 of my most played. I love everything about it; Be it the inspiring lyrics, the catchy musical arrangement and I even like the coda. It comes off like an echo, a reminder that remains in your head. With that in mind, it's antithetic to the 14 year old me. Like I said, great song and a solid album closer.

X (Revisited):

It was great to look back on this album. Even after three decades, it still remains a favorite. I do agree that the band was trying to get the same magic from Kick with various results with the songs. With that, the musical landscape was changing and thankfully the band would release something wonderful, refreshing and ground breaking in a couple years.

25. mark winstanley

Live Baby Live
    [​IMG]
    Live album by
    INXS
    Released
    11 November 1991
    Recorded Paris, New York, Toronto, Chicago, London, Dublin, Glasgow, Rio De Janeiro, Montreal, Spain, Switzerland, Melbourne, Sydney, Philadelphia, Las Vegas (original release)
    Genre Rock
    Length 63:40
    Label Atlantic (US)
    Mercury Records
    WEA Records
    Producer Mark Opitz, INXS

Live Baby Live is Australian rock band INXS's first live album. It was released on 11 November 1991 and features tracks recorded during their Summer XS Tour in Paris, New York, Chicago, London, Dublin, Glasgow, Rio de Janeiro, Montreal, Spain, Switzerland, Melbourne, Sydney, Philadelphia, and Las Vegas. The album peaked in the top 10 on both the Australian and United Kingdom albums charts. It has sold over one million copies in the United States, earning a platinum certification by the RIAA. A single, "Shining Star", was released from and ahead of the album on 2 November. It became the group's ninth Top 40 single on the UK Singles Chart, but failed to appear on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US, despite reaching the top 20 of the rock charts.

The title's two uses of 'live', indistinguishable by spelling alone, are pronounced differently – according to The Greatest Hits album's accompanying booklet – the first is pronounced to rhyme with 'give', whereas the second is pronounced as in 'five'.

In September 1990, Australian rock band, INXS released their seventh studio album, X, which was produced by Chris Thomas (Sex Pistols, Pink Floyd, The Pretenders, Elton John) and it peaked at No. 3 in Australia,[1] No. 2 in the United Kingdom,[2] No. 5 in the United States,[3] No. 5 in Switzerland and No. 10 in Sweden.[4][5] It followed in the same vein as Kick (1987), and added harmonica to some songs. X scored hits with "Suicide Blonde" and "Disappear" (both Top 10 in the US),[6] "Suicide Blonde" peaked at No. 2 in Australia, No. 11 in the UK[2] and in Switzerland.[7] Other singles from X were "Bitter Tears" and "By My Side" but they had less chart success.[8]

Lead singer Michael Hutchence's romance with Australian pop singer Kylie Minogue brought the group a new audience of fans.[8][9] INXS performed at Wembley Stadium on 13 July 1991, during their Summer XS Tour stop in London to a sold-out audience of 74,000 fans.[8] This performance was recorded and filmed to become their live album Live Baby Live (a video version was also released under the same title), which was released on 11 November 1991 and peaked in the Top 30 of both the Australian and UK albums charts,[1][2] but had less success on the Billboard 200.[3] The album was co-produced by Mark Opitz and INXS.

Controversially, Ian Meldrum questioned the validity of the album's 'live' status.[12] Allmusic gave the album one star out of five. AllMusic's reviewer, Stephen Thomas Erlewine, was unimpressed with Live Baby Live, "[it] is a lifeless live album ... All of the performances sound like the studio versions, stripped of their excitement and savvy productions".[10] The album reached No. 3 on the ARIA Albums Chart and No. 8 on the UK Albums Chart but was less popular in the United States, peaking at No. 72 on the Billboard 200.[1][2][3] Nevertheless, the album was certified platinum by RIAA for sales of over one million copies.[13]

The album's only single, "Shining Star", appeared ahead of the album on 2 November. It is the one new song recorded for the album and peaked at No. 21 on the ARIA Singles Chart,[1] at No. 27 on the UK Singles Chart, becoming the group's ninth Top 40 single there.[2] In the US, it peaked at No. 4 on the Modern Rock Tracks and No. 14 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks charts, but failed to appear on the Billboard Hot 100.[6]

The Cd
    1. "New Sensation" – 4:42
    2. "Guns in the Sky" – 3:14
    3. "Mystify" – 3:11
    4. "By My Side" – 3:15
    5. "Shining Star" – 3:52
    6. "Need You Tonight" – 2:58
    7. "Mediate" – 4:29
    8. "One x One" – 2:58
    9. "Burn for You" – 4:43
    10. "The One Thing" – 3:21
    11. "This Time" – 3:06
    12. "The Stairs" – 5:07
    13. "Suicide Blonde" – 4:36
    14. "Hear That Sound" – 3:38
    15. "Never Tear Us Apart" – 4:13
    16. "What You Need" – 6:16
    Wembley Stadium
    Live Baby Live is a live video of INXS's performance at Wembley Stadium directed by David Mallet.[14] It was released simultaneously as the live CD of the same name. The concert was the second-last of a string of concerts in London for INXS's Summer XS Tour. The video was re-released as a DVD in 2003 and was digitally remixed and mastered in 5.1 surround sound. The band played to a sold-out crowd of over 72,000 fans. Special features include band interviews and backstage footage.[14] The performance was held on 13 July 1991, on the six-year anniversary of the original Live Aid at the same venue. The video footage was shot with sixteen 35 mm cameras that included one in a helicopter that circled the venue. Amazon.com's editorial reviewer, Tom Keogh, felt "fans can rejoice over the release of this buoyant concert film ... the late Michael Hutchence, is at his feral-romantic best, stalking and swiveling his way through an energized set of welterweight pop".[14] Australian country musician Steve Forde declared, "I missed out on seeing Michael do his thing in person, but that Live Baby Live DVD is bad ass! We put that DVD on the big screen in the front lounge of the tour bus. It's like going to a 101 class to be a frontman rock star. Wembley Stadium chock full, singing every word. Awesome. My favourite track from that set is definitely 'Devil Inside'. Is he still relevant? Absolutely".[15]

Video track listing
    1. "Guns in the Sky"
    2. "New Sensation"
    3. "I Send a Message"
    4. "The Stairs"
    5. "Know the Difference"
    6. "Disappear"
    7. "By My Side"
    8. "Hear That Sound"
    9. "Original Sin"
    10. "The Loved One"
    11. "Wildlife"
    12. "Mystify"
    13. "Bitter Tears"
    14. "Suicide Blonde"
    15. "What You Need"
    16. "Kick"
    17. "Need You Tonight"
    18. "Mediate"
    19. "Never Tear Us Apart"
    20. "Who Pays the Price"
    21. "Devil Inside"
    2019 remastered track listing
    1. "Guns in the Sky"
    2. "New Sensation"
    3. "I Send A Message"
    4. "The Stairs"
    5. "Know The Difference"
    6. "Disappear"
    7. "By My Side"
    8. "Hear That Sound"
    9. "Original Sin"
    10. "Lately"
    11. "The Loved One"
    12. "Wild Life"
    13. "Mystify"
    14. "Bitter Tears"
    15. "Suicide Blonde"
    16. "What You Need"
    17. "Kick"
    18. "Need You Tonight"
    19. "Mediate"
    20. "Never Tear Us Apart"
    21. "Who Pays The Price"
    22. "Devil Inside"
    Charts
    Chart (1991–1992) Peak
    position

Australian Albums (ARIA)[31] 3
    Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)[32] 25
    Canadian Albums (RPM)[33] 36
    Dutch Albums (Album Top 100)[34] 26
    French Albums (SNEP)[35] 31
    German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)[36] 18
    New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)[37] 31
    Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)[38] 39
    Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)[39] 15
    UK Albums (OCC)[40] 8
    US Billboard 200[41] 72

Certifications
    Region Certification Certified units/sales
    Australia (ARIA)[42]
    Platinum 70,000^
    Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)[43] Gold 25,000^
    United States (RIAA)[13] Platinum 1,000,000^
    ^ Shipments figures based on certification alone.

Live Baby Live DVD
    Region Certification Certified units/sales
    Australia (ARIA)[44]
    3× Platinum 45,000^
    ^ Shipments figures based on certification alone.

Live Baby Live Wembley Stadium
    Chart (2020) Peak
    position
    Swiss Music DVD Chart (Hitparade)
    2[45]
    UK Official Music Video Chart (OCC) 2[46]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is actually quite an interesting release, and as the wiki notes up there state, Molly Meldrum did bag this album out as being a fake live album. It was a bit of an issue at the time. I believe it caused quite a bit of friction between the ABC's Countdown and Inxs management. I am not altogether sure how that all panned out, but I think it did effect the response to the album a little in Australia .... even though it did go on to sell well.

I am not going to say whether this is or isn't a "touched up" live document, because frankly, most live albums are touched up, and it is very difficult to tell with any accuracy how much and what.....
    In my opinion, I don't really care too much about live touch ups, even tough it is nice to get pure live albums, because an album is not like a concert, and people are human and errors occur. Keeping an error documented and highlighted on a live album isn't really of any value, whereas at a concert, you aren't reliving the moment over and over ad-infinitum.... Feel free to state your case here, but I don't really see it as a big issue, in a world where probably 99% of albums have touch ups.

As for the concert..... these days I much prefer dvd and bluray, because if I can watch the concert it is recreating the experience much more closely than just a recorded version can.
    I do not have the cd of this, but I did have the dvd , and I did get the bluray (here is a rundown from the Live On Saturdays thread) ... I feel like I would enjoy the bluray more now, that I have become more familiar with the two albums that get most of the airtime. You will be able to see my bias towards the earlier material in that run down :)
    Now I would probably enjoy it more, because I am more familiar with the later songs.

Essentially though as a visual concert it is quite remarkable, and the start of New Sensation always stands out as a rather overwhelming piece of footage that shows just how clearly the band had the love and attention of their audience.
    Watching that really gives a good perspective of how much the band was loved at this particular point in time. In fact the whole show just seems like a joyous gathering of Inxs fans all having a great time and loving the music and the camaraderie of a good rock show.

So anyway, over the next few days we will roll through the songs on here and it would be cool to hear everyone's input regarding the album, the video and the songs on here. We do have one new song on here, and we will get to that soon.

Cheers
    Mark

Guns In The Sky

This works as a great scene setter with the drums punching in and the band coming out and joining in. A nice punchy opening that gives the band a good chance to get the live sound right in the mix, and also being a little less intricate than some other songs, it gives them a good chance to get the feel of the arena, and also get their confidence up. A solid opener.