INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

Just popping in as another person whose favorite INXS album is WTWYA. Has anyone mentioned the small print in the CD booklet that gives the history of the Artane Boys Band, including: "Best known past members are Larry Mullen, drummer with U2, Leo Barnes, saxophonist with Hothouse Flowers and Robert Arkins of The Commitments." I assumed at the time that this was something of a wind-up of Larry, and presumed the two bands knew each other. Interesting to read here that they wouldn't meet until later (at least, Michael Hutchence and Bono).

2. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Very good points overall. Although, I don't fully agree that it repeats the sound of HS...

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

I'm not exactly sure what you mean? Because MH & Bono became friends during the late '80s. Also, MH was friends with the rest of U2 during this period as well...

4. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

My bad, I misunderstood something stated earlier, so then it is possible they were making fun of Larry (as in, "yes, you're a cool drummer in a rock band, but you used to wear this uniform"). Not that Larry would have minded a bit of slagging.

5. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

I don't fully think it repeats the sound of "Heaven Sent", just the feel. Given what has already been put out as singles, "All Around" is in the same vein of being alternative rock as "Heaven Sent". Who knows if it ever crossed anybody's mind to put it out separately to promote the album. It's a very strong album cut and works very well within the album but would radio/fans just feel it's nothing more than just another single in the same style? WTWYA is so diverse that based on every single they put out from the album, none of them really sounded the same with each other except that it was all from the same band.

6. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

This diversity of sound may have been their greatest strength. Even on their next album, the “grungy one”, they are still writing pop hits with Ray Charles fer cryin’ out loud. The fullness of time has aged this group’s collective output very well IMHO because of this.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  7. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

You may be right. I enjoy the entire run of this album just about as much a Shabooh Shoobah. Both start, and then I just end up listening to the whole thing, no skips.

And solid props here to Mark Opitz as a producer. He obviously let the band arrange things how they wanted on all three of his INXS albums, but I think ultimately I also prefer the soundscapes he was able to record compared to Chris Thomas. No knock on the Thomas albums, they are all excellent and - if we are honest - make up the bulk of INXS sales over their career, but I genuinely prefer the way the Opitz albums sound. It’s hard to explain in words but I’ll try: SS is dark and murky, like the top end is rolled off slightly, but yet clear in terms of hearing all the instruments and their parts. WTWYA is very diverse in a way that SS is not, yet it’s very powerfully recorded. The bass playing is a huge component of the sound of a lot of these songs. The next album, FMDH, for all its flaws, is a very good sounding crankable album that runs a little short of A-list material and has a baffling tracklist - but damn it sounds good at high volume. So, I tip my hat to Opitz: I think he learned a few things while engineering for AC/DC- mainly to just let the band play and let the bass player and drummer lay down some airtight rhythm tracks.

8. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

It's certainly possible and would make sense. But I honestly don't know...

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

All Around:

Ah yeah, this is a great deep track on the album. The glam rock-ish guitars and Micheal's gritty vocal are the highlights here. The lyrics work and for a while, really didn't pay any attention to the meaning until now. It's a solid track and considering that I listened to this album on cassette, it's a perfect song to close out side one.

Al Gator, dirkster, twicks and 2 others like this.
  10. DanP

DanP Forum Resident

"How we've been aaaaacting lately!"

This song rocks. People are correct above when talking about it being the end of the side. This was one of the first represses I bought when getting back into vinyl a few years ago, and this runs really well as an album of two sides. I rate this one more highly than 'solid'. It's a cracker.

They've rocked before, much earlier in their career, but the rock on this album is just so much more rock than the rock on the previous few. They kinda rocked, but this rocks. This and Heaven Sent.

11. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Taste It-4.5/5. A great single. It got a lot of airplay in Spain so to hear that it didn’t do much elsewhere is a surprise to me. I think it’s a great song.
    Not Enough Time -4/5. Another great song. Thanks to to this thread I’ve revisited these albums after nearly 30 years of not playing them. This one I had forgotten about which is surprising as it’s great.
    All Around - 3/5. An average rocker.

12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Baby Don't Cry

[​IMG]
    Single by INXS
    from the album Welcome to Wherever You Are
    Released
    18 September 1992
    Recorded 1992
    Genre Alternative rock
    Length 4:54
    Label Mercury Records
    Eastwest Records
    Songwriter(s) Andrew Farriss
    Producer(s) Mark Opitz

"Baby Don't Cry" is the second single from the 1992 album Welcome to Wherever You Are by INXS. It was written by Andrew Farriss. Farriss has said it was written about his daughter Grace and how he missed his young child whilst touring. The single was released only in Europe and Australia.

Incorporating the 60 piece Australian Concert Orchestra,[1] the song reached number 20 in the United Kingdom, number 30 in Australia and Belgium, number 34 in New Zealand and number 46 in the Netherlands. In November 1992, the band won one of two Australian Music Awards for Best Best Video for 'Baby Don't Cry', the other for Best Australian Band.

7" single INXS20 Mercury
    1. "Baby Don't Cry"
    2. "Questions (Instrumental)"
    12" single INXSP20 Mercury
    1. "Baby Don't Cry"
    3. "Ptar Speaks"
    4. "Baby Don't Cry (Vocal & Orchestra Mix)"
    CD5 maxi single INXCD20 Mercury/UK
    CD5 maxi single – 45099-05922 EastWest/Australia
    1. "Baby Don't Cry"
    3. "Ptar Speaks"
    4. "Baby Don't Cry (Vocal & Orchestra Mix)"
    7" single INXMC20 Mercury
    1. "Baby Don't Cry"

Chart (1992) Peak
    position

Australia (ARIA)[2] 30
    Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)[3] 30
    Europe (Eurochart Hot 100)[4] 59
    Netherlands (Single Top 100)[5] 46
    New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)[6] 34
    UK Singles (OCC)[7] 20

I hate to say it, but for some reason the start here gives me a sort of Beatles-esque feel going on ... Perhaps it is just the use of the instrumentation.... Not sure. I certainly don't think the song sounds at all like the Liverpool boys.
    We open with some fairly fat sounding drums, and then we get some horns stabbing in and getting a stabbing answer from the guitars. It's actually very effective, even though for some reason this morning listening closer it seems slightly unusual.
    Then we roll into the chorus opening.

Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry

When you're down and confused
    Nothing seems right
    And it's you who decides
    Who's going to make it right

Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry

Well life ain't no joke
    But it's good when you smile
    Steal everything
    But you won't get far

Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry

Sometimes you will fall
    What cha gonna do?
    Give your friend a call

Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry

We know that you can smile
    Even though it takes a while
    To lose your fears and say
    Gonna lose your fears and say

Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry

Do you know who you are
    And where you're going to
    Don't you know that love
    Gonna pull you
    Gonna pull you through now baby

Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry

Baby don't cry, Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry. Baby don't cry

Face to face
    Anything is possible
    Not political, or analytical
    Never givin up on the wrong
    You got a choice
    Why don't you use it
    Change, is an attitude
    Guaranteed to take hold of you
    So welcome, to the turnstile
    Take a turn with a new vow
    Hey, I know what you know
    All the sympathy
    Made a mess of me
    Respect the sacrifice
    Before the number one
    Now it has begun

Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry
    Baby don't cry

Songwriters: Andrew Farriss
    Baby Don't Cry lyrics © Chardonnay Investments Ltd., Inxs Publishing Pty. Ltd.

I get the impression that some folks are going to not really like these lyrics, based on reactions to previous songs.... They don't really bug me, I think they suit the purposes of the song..... This is a pop song, that has been injected with a bit of grunt to help it fit in with the more aggressive attitude of the album.... and it seems like the main thing they are trying to use to get people in here is a hypnotic melodic theme wrapped in an easy to digest lyric for the dominant chorus.

The song is almost like a motivational track, that is suggesting in spite of the odds, you can get through this. A smile has more mileage than a tear.

I think this track has a good musical arrangement. It is a little more simplistic in some ways, but it is augmented by a nice orchestral type backing. The guitars have enough bite to keep it in context with the rest of the album.
    Not my favourite track on the album, but I do think it is a good track.

13. mark winstanley

14. mark winstanley

Ptar Speaks

An unusual title, perhaps someone can let me know what it means.
    We open with some sort of atmospheric wind-like sounds. Then this voice comes in, sounding kind of like an announcer of some sort.
    This moves into a beat with a guitar and some strings.
    The keys come in with a melodic idea. then we get some vocals that have a reverse/reverse reverb kind of sound.
    Listening to it now, I assume Ptar is the person doing the narrating?
    This comes across as a fairly pleasant semi-instrumental, atmospheric track.
    Not sure it would get a lot of listens from me, but it is kind of interesting.

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD and The MEZ like this.
  15. mark winstanley

Baby Don't Cry - vocal and orchestra mix

This is exactly what the sub-title suggests....
    I actually really like this...

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  16. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

"Baby Don't Cry" was a great way to start Side 2 (although its power/intro is more enhanced on the CD version where "All Around" collapses right into the song). Totally bombastic and anthemic; it's probably the closest the band ever came to sounding like U2. Great use of brass/orchestra. Somewhat of a massive singalong with the massed choir voices repeatedly singing the title in the background. The key thing about this song is as it fades out, it segues right into the greatest song the band ever made. (more on that when we get to that song)

17. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

I think "Baby Don't Cry" is INXS seizing the opportunity to go all out in throwing the kitchen sink at a track.

It's the type of song that a band could only consider making when they are at a certain point in their career.

In that respect it reminds me of Oasis "All Around The World". Neither of the songs are particularly strong on their own but if you can afford a 60 piece orchestra to bring it to life why not!

I loved "Baby Don't Cry" when I was younger but find it a bit repetitive now. I do however still enjoy Hutchence's "rap" at the end, and the video is great too.

18. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

This comment rocks.

19. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Agree with this. It's a fun song with immediate appeal but there's really nothing new to discover after the first few listens.

20. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Baby Don’t Cry

Certainly not my favorite song, but yet.... it really does add something to the mix on this album doesn’t it?

I wonder if they had a band meeting and said, “OK, we need a sea shanty, or maybe singalong like The Poques, or maybe one of those songs everyone sings along to every time it plays on a jukebox in a bar...”

In the DNA of this song I hear The Beatles’ “All You Need Is Love”, or maybe Lennon’s rapping in “I Am The Walrus”. Or maybe even “Sowing The Seeds Of Love” by Tears For Fears.

This is a nice curveball by INXS. If you’re going to do a song like this, then just do it once. And go all-in and get the orchestra too. Thumbs up. I’m glad they only did it this one time though.

21. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Best cover art of any of the singles from this album. :)

22. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

Okay I'm going to say it...I can't stand Baby Don't Cry. After a minute of it I've totally had enough and I skip it every time.

1/5. Sorry!

23. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

I think Mark Opitz said that the band were recorded live with the orchestra for the song as opposed to tracking them onto one another. Impressive performance if that is the case.

24. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Baby Don't Cry. 2/5. Well, it makes me cry. Worst song on the album. Obviously strategically written to be a number one song, but fails on every powerpoint. Overly sugary that gives my ears diabetes. Skip it all the time. Even took it out of my I-Tunes library.
    Ptar Speaks. 2/5. Interesting germ of an idea. Wish they would have fleshed it out.

SpudOz, drsmuts and Al Gator like this.
  25. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I don’t like Baby Don’t Cry at all; I find it far too repetitive. The songs density helps but I don’t need to hear the title sung 300 times in five minutes. There’s a great song here somewhere but it didn’t make it to the album. I understand why it was popular, but it’s a total failure for me.