INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

For me Beautiful Girl is the most delicate, beautiful and tender song in their catalogue.

I was unaware of the Bono connection until it was posted elsewhere on these forums but you can definitely hear his falsetto (which was prominent in U2's own work at this time) on the backing vocals.

It's a surprise in a way as I never knew Bono and Andrew Farriss were friends.

What's also surprising is how poorly this performed in the UK charts. Even more staggering is that a band who could sell out Wembley stadium only ever had one top 10 hit in the UK!

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea that is all just plain weird to me.

I guess the only thing that makes it understandable from my perspective, is that U2 had a big presence internationally from very early on. Whereas Inxs had seemingly very little international presence until Kick exploded....
    I suppose with such a blinkered vision of the band, and with X being a sort of Kick pt2, most people didn't realise how diverse the band's approach had been across their career....

Sadly the deeper I look at this, the more it seems X was a stumbling block for the band, that from a commercial perspective they never recovered from, because it created a false impression in the majority of the public about who the band were.
    Not that it is a bad album, but I get the feeling it was the wrong album for the band's career at the time...
    Idk, just thoughts

3. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Beautiful Girl is not a simple love song - there’s a sadness that permeates the lyrics. I love the way it builds from such a quiet beginning to the main rhythm. And yet again, Michael sings this perfectly. Another winner in a big way.

4. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Beautiful Girl 4.5/5 - This is a GREAT song. I love it. It’s quite tender and flows really well without ever being corny. It came at the right time in my life as well - late teens, first big love and all that. Like others, I’m surprised that it didn’t do better. It got plenty of airplay I seem to remember but other bands had taken over somewhat by then -U2 with Achtung Baby, Depeche Mode with Songs of Faith and Devotion, even Duran Duran had just had a big comeback with Ordinary World and their Wedding Album (which has a dose of INXS influences in it. Drowning Man?). I didn’t know about Bono being on this but he, Michael and Simon Le Bon were all good drinking buddies (The Lead Singers Club), so I can see how some sounds have permeated in each other’s work.

5. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

My two cents: I think the selling of Michael as a sex symbol hurt their credibility and sold them short. Like you say, most people didn't know about their experimental earlier stuff, the image burned into their brains was the sexy lead singer singing about how he needed you tonight with a bunch of good looking guys behind him. (Let's face it, they were nearly a boy band in terms of handsomeness.) When tastes changed in the early '90s and 'artistry' became more important in rock, the jump was just too far for most people and INXS got left behind.

U2 and R.E.M. didn't have this problem.

6. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

So “Beautiful Girl” is yet another fantastic song and another great example of how unjust the world is that this wasn’t a bigger hit. Whereas “Baby Don’t Cry” is a song all about going BIG, “Beautiful Girl” is all about going small and staying within itself. One of the secrets to it’s power is that it never goes over the top.

Weird question: Does anyone know what that noise is in the first verse right after Michael sings “Running from a bad home”? It’s always bothered me!

7. mark winstanley

Sounds like a hand clap ....
    Maybe it's supposed to be a slamming door - "running from a bad home "
    ??

David Jakubowski likes this.
  8. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Beautiful Girl:

Easily one of my favorites! I remember this song getting some heavy airplay in my neck of the woods. However, looking at the charts, I am really disappointed that it didn't chart any higher. A shame really, 'cos it's a beautiful ballad. I love the simplistic arrangement of the song; The piano and guitar reminds me of a lullaby and with Micheal's soft delivery of his vocal, seals that for me. Like I said, the band can deliver a solid ballad and in this case, it's a classic, quintessential INXS track of the era.

9. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

A little clunky, but still very enjoyable. This should have been a live staple.

10. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

The subject matter of Beautiful Girl contains a theme that many people probably expected INXS not to write about. Especially since, at the time, anorexia & bulimia were rarely discussed publicly. Regardless, the song has as all the right qualities in a ballad for it to be memorable and enjoyable. Musically, the keyboard/guitar arpeggiations and textural instrumental components throughout the minimalistic arrangement support the seriousness of the lyrical content accordingly. And once Kirk's saxophone lines emerge slowly before the outro, they seem to offer the musical equivalent of a sense of hope for anyone suffering from the illnesses in question. On occasion, INXS have showed us they have a sensitive side. But this time, it's accentuated and they aren't afraid to put it on full display. What a wonderfully heart-wrenching ballad and video. The Canadian music video station, MuchMusic, played this near daily in early 1993. And partly because of that, it was a top 10 hit here.

In My Living Room is full of ideas that should've wound up on WTWYA in one way or another. But unfortunately, they're not fully-realized enough.

Underneath The Colors' Chicken Mix contains some instrumentation not included in the original mix. But it tends to drag out and doesn't elevate the track's enjoyability much.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  11. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Beautiful Girl

Those piano notes are a “thing” all by themselves. Beautifully recorded and crystal clear, especially after the raucous cacophony of “Baby Don’t Cry”. Not a huge hit, but it has stood the test of time as noted by its continued popularity on streaming platforms. Also of note, again, is the solid bass work. As noted earlier, it is the restraint that helps make it such a good song. By not “going for it”, the song feels understated and elegant.

ARK, Al Gator, pablo fanques and 5 others like this.
  12. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

For the life of me I thought ‘Beautiful Girl’ was a top 10 hit here in the states until this thread. Absolutely criminal. I clearly recall playing it and hearing it on the radio constantly back then. Had no idea

13. mark winstanley

Wishing Well

We open with this nice high pitched synth sound and then move into this almost Peter Gunn type bass line, that has overtones of blues in it. This has a nice jazz/blues type organ throwing in the chords with a certain staccato feel that is very effective.
    A little stab of rhythm guitar and then Michael comes in.

If you ever want to taste it
    Go down to the wishing well
    Poison in the well won't make it
    Keep yourself as strong as can be

All men I'll take you
    Take you down and tell you why
    I said woman gonna take you
    Take you down a well that's wide

Take it to the river
    Take it to the world
    I say loving heart

Gonna show the way
    Gonna show the way
    Gonna show the way
    Gonna show the way
    Gonna show the way

All men
    Watch ya seeing
    Living it all for the life
    Say all men what ya seeing
    Gonna change your ways
    Gonna change your ways
    Gonna change your mind

Keep yourself
    As strong as can be

If you ever gonna taste it
    Never look right or left look ahead
    I'm the healer
    You're believing

Gonna carry ya to the end
    Gonna carry ya to the end

Poison in the well
    Won't make it
    Gotta keep yourself
    As strong as can be

I'm a healer
    I'm a healer

Songwriters: Michael Hutchence / Andrew Farriss
    Wishing Well lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

This track is really smooth, and has a really cool flow. Michael is delivering this really nice laid back kind of vocal and it adds to this really nice feel.
    Even when the guitar comes in, even though it has a bit of bite to the tone, it is still in the laid back smooth groove part of the musical spectrum.

Around the middle we get a chorus where the bass has slid up the neck and the bottom end drops out from a bit, but it works as a really effective dynamic change up.

There's a lot to like about this track, but the main thing that gets me in, is the very cool vibe that the track has. A really nice understated groove.

14. mark winstanley

Reference guide

The band's origins

May 1980 Simple Simon / We Are The Vegetables

Aug 1980 Live Paris Theatre, Sydney

Oct 1980 Inxs (debut album)
    On A Bus
    Doctor
    Just Keep Walking - On TV
    Learn To Smile
    Jumping
    In Vain - live - interview
    Roller Skating - live
    Body Language
    Newsreel Babies
    Wishy Washy - live
    Just Keep Walking b-side Scratch

Mar 1981 The Loved One/The Unloved One

Sept 1981 Stay Young/Lacavocal

Oct 1981 Underneath The Colours
    Stay Young
    Horizons
    Big Go Go
    Underneath The Colours
    Fair Weather Ahead
    Night Of Rebellion
    Follow
    Barbarian
    What Would You Do?
    Just To Learn Again
    Prehistoria - bside

1982 INXSive

Live 8/12/1982 -Sydney

Four Corners - Flavour Of The Month

After Dark Interview

Oct 1982 Shabooh Shoobah - Ad
    The One Thing - 12" - live - countdown
    To Look At You - 12" - live 84
    Spy Of Love - live
    Soul Mistake - live
    Here Comes - live
    Black And White - live
    Golden Playpen - live
    Jan's Song - live
    Old World New World - live
    Don't Change - Countdown
    b-sides
    Space Shuttle
    Phantim Of The Opera
    Sax Thing
    You Never Used To Cry
    Here Comes II
    Go West
    Long In Tooth

1982 Freedom Soundtrack - with Don Walker
    Speed Kills
    Forest Theme

Stop The Drop - live Feb 83

Inxs at LA Zoo

Mar 1983 Live At Perkins Palace

May 1983 US Festival

Sept 1983 Dekadance US
    Black And White 12"
    To Look At You 12"
    The One Thing 12"
    Here Come II new version

Apr 1984 The Swing
    Original Sin - single - video
    Melting In The Sun - video
    I Send A Message - single - live - live - live
    Dancing On The Jetty - video
    The Swing - live
    Johnson's Aeroplane
    Love Is (What I Say) - video - videos
    Face The Change - live
    Burn For You - single mix - live
    All The Voices - video
    B-sides
    Jans Song/To Look At You (live)
    Mechanical
    The Harbour
    Johnson's Aeroplane alt.

April 1984 Dekadance
    Original Sin - Dance Mix
    I Send A Message - ext
    Burn for You - ext
    Dancing On The Jetty - remix
    Melting In The Sun - remix
    Love Is ( What I Say) - remix
    Jackson

1985 The Swing And Other Stories (video)
    The video

Merry Christmas (fan club)

Oct 1985 Listen Like Thieves
    What You Need - 12"
    Listen Like thieves - 12" - video
    Kiss The Dirt - video - 12"
    Shine Like It Does - live
    Good + Bad Times
    Biting Bullets
    This Time
    Three Sisters
    Same Direction
    One X One
    Red Red Sun
    b-sides
    Sweet As Sin
    I'm Over You
    Different World
    Begotten
    Six Knots

1985 The Living Inxs

1985 Oz For Africa

Feb 1986 Do What You Do - Pretty In Pink

Dec 1986 Dogs In Space

Dogs In Space
    Golf Course
    The Green Dragon
    Rooms For The Memory - movie version

Jul 1987 Laying Down The Law - Lost Boys

1987 Australian Made

1987 Inxs and Jimmy Barnes Good Times - live

Oct 1987 Kick
    Guns In The Sky - Kookaburra mix - Kick Ass Mix
    New Sensation - Nick's 12" mix
    Devil Inside - video - radio edit - 12" mix
    Need You Tonight - full video - Mendelsohn Mix - Ben Liebrand Mix - Andrew Farris
    Mediate
    The Loved One
    Wild Life
    Never Tear Us Apart - video - alt.
    Mystify - video - Chicago demo
    Kick
    Calling all Nations - Alt. mix
    Tiny Daggers
    b-sides
    On The Rocks
    I'm Coming (Home)
    Move On

Aug 6th 1988 Toronto Live

1988 Kick The Video Flick

1989 In Search Of Excellence

Sep 1989 Max Q
    Sometimes - video/straight rock mix -Rock House ext. - dub
    The Way Of The World - 12"
    Ghost Of The Year
    Everything
    Concrete
    Zero-2-0 - Terry Todd Remix
    Soul Engine
    Buckethead
    Monday Night By Satellite
    Tight
    Ot-Ven-Rot
    b-sides
    Love Man
    Zero 2 0

Sept 1990 X
    Suicide Blonde - earth - devastation - milk - demolition - 7" nik - performance - video
    Disappear - 12" - live - Morales Mix
    The Stairs
    Faith In Each Other
    By My Side - demo
    Lately
    Who Pays The Price
    Know The Difference
    Bitter Tears - 12" -instr
    On My Way
    Hear That Sound

b-sides
    Everybody Wants You Tonight
    Middle Beast
    What You Need Cold Cut Force
    The Other Side
    Soothe Me

Nov 1991 Live Baby Live
    part 1
    part 2
    part 3
    part 4
    part 5
    Shining Star
    Documentary

Aug 1992 Welcome To Wherever You Are
    Questions - Instrumental
    Heaven Sent - Gliding Version - video
    Communication - live
    Taste It - video - 12" - live
    Not Enough Time - remix - video
    All Around
    Baby Don't Cry - video - orchestra mix
    Beautiful Girl - alt video - live
    Wishing Well

The Indian Song
    It Ain't Easy
    11th Revolution
    Deepest Red
    Light The Planet
    Firma Terror
    In My Living Room
    Underneath The Colours Chicken Mix

15. mark winstanley

Wishing Well Instrumental Mix

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  16. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Wishing Well: 4/5. The return of Taste It. The groove is my favorite part of the song. Magnificent.

17. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Wishing Well

Great track. It has interestingly mysterious eerie synth sounds, a chunky bass line, and by the time we get to the horn lines in the chorus I’m totally sold. Is there something sleazy about this song the same way there is in “Taste It”? Maybe, and I like it.

18. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

The “Courier extended mix” of Wishing Well is a nice alternate version of the track:

This was a Bside on the 1994 “The Strangest Party” single, and its apparently remixed by Andrew Farris himself - not a 3rd party remixer.

19. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

The rhythm of Wishing Well is stunning, perfect for the song’s voodoo lyrics. It’s yet another track which I love.

20. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Yep, Wishing Well (and most of Side 2) is great because they're not swinging for the fences, just being loose and funky.

21. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Wishing Well has this unusual blend of mid-tempo funk / blues rock and lounge lizard-ish jazz grooves. Whether it's Andrew's unique high / low pitched keyboard sounds, the clear tone / distorted guitar riffs in the verses and choruses, Jon's higher pitched (piccolo?) snare drum tone, or even Michael's positive & affirmational lyrics, this is a very cool track. Contrast has almost always worked well for INXS. And considering the unique textures this song has to offer, they are exceptionally good at presenting contrasting elements here. Despite not necessarily being strong enough to have been a single, WW is a very solid album track.

The instrumental mix includes rawer instrumental mixes and fleshes out some of the parts and differing snare drums sounds/fills not included and/or buried in the original mix. I could listen to this all day!

The Courier extended mix is somewhat boring in comparison but has a semi-cool hip hop groove embedded into it. But I like it.

22. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

"Wishing Well" starts off the last third of the album, coming in as the last notes of "Beautiful Girl" fade away. It starts off with a nice shuffle groove on the organ along with a steady bassline. Song plays with some tasty mellow vibes throughout while showing off great horn and organ arrangements. It plays really well as a lounge-like song you have on in the background while having a drink. Very relaxing.

23. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Because they are all very ugly... :evil:

(I'm so sorry, I just couldn't resist... :angel: )

mark winstanley likes this.
  24. mark winstanley

Back On Line

We start off with this kind of hesitation, and then drop into this cool groove ... who'd of thought lol ... These guys were really good at dropping into a cool groove.
    Then we get this keyboard melody .... and although it is nothing like a sixties sound, the way it is set up kind of reminds me of a sixties thing .... not a song in particular ... but the keyboard melody almost sounds like it should be a sitar or something.
    I can't really explain it... but it feels like a late sixties vibe for some reason.... anyway.

Maybe there's something in me
    Trying to hitch another ride
    Have you ever felt this moment
    When you're looking out of control
    All the ways I could have taken
    Just add up to indecision

I'm gonna get this back on line
    To me there's no reason why
    All my troubles soon be leaving
    Wash away the pain of mine

Get me to the place I'm standing
    There's a reason down below
    Maybe there's something in me
    Trying to take another ride
    Have you ever felt the moment
    When you're losing all control

I'm gonna get this back on line
    To me there's no reason why
    Wash away the pain of mine

(Mine)
    (Mine)
    (Mine)
    (Mine)
    (Mine)
    (Mine)
    (Mine)
    (Mine)
    (Mine)
    (Mine)
    (Mine)

Jon Farriss and Gary Beers are just really winning on this. These two guys have probably been the revelation of the thread to me. they connect so well, and groove so easily. Beers seems to always put down just the right bassline and here we have that again. The whole song seems to rest on that vibe they create and everything else is just colouring in

This isn't a very long song, and to some degree there isn't really that much to it, but it does just what it needs to in the time it has been allocated.
    Lyrically we are looking at having gone slightly astray, and just getting our groove back and not just wallowing in the fact that we went slightly left when we should have gone straight.

Another thing about this track is the different textures of the keys and guitar that sit on top of the groove just keep it interesting and rolling along... Again another really good arrangement from the guys.

Not my favourite track on the album, but a very cool song that holds the album in the zone and keeps us moving in the right direction. Solid album track.

25. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Back On Line

I can never remember this song’s melody or chorus, but then when I do hear it I always find I like it. Last week one day I had it in my head though, and I couldn’t figure out what song I was humming. Go figure. This would have fit well on X, especially with this keyboard sound. The guitar break is pretty good too - nice sound, laid back. The sudden ending feeds right into the next track.

It’s not that songs like Back On Line, Strange Desire, Wishing Well and All Around are the best-ever, but I like all of them in the context of the album because these tracks sit in amongst the tall trees like Beautiful Girl & Not Enough Time and keep the flow going. If every song was a potential single then they’d be calling too much attention to themselves and it would probably spoil the general vibe,