INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. DanP

DanP Forum Resident

Great sequence!

Though the interviews at the time talked about how Viking Juice was based on a studio goof where they'd write and recite poetry to each other, Viking Juice being one of them. So I do like that one at the end of the album as a 'sign off'.

Yours till runs better though.

2. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Well that helps explain just what the hell the deal is with that song. Damn I didn’t know that! Makes me think even more it ought to have been a Bside while something like Strangest Party (These Are The Times) should have been worked on and developed for inclusion on the album.

Am I wrong in saying Strangest Party dates back to FM, DH? The lyrical emphasis on “time” fits with a similar usage on the album so I’ve always just assumed this.

3. DanP

DanP Forum Resident

It may have been written around FMDH, but I'm guessing that - given they eventually brought in Chris Thomas to produce it, and that it had to hold it's weight as the new song on a Best Of filled with bangers- they knew it was a cracker so they held it aside. That's my guess.

4. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Thanks. I was asking because a song that good would certainly have been a welcome addition to FM, DH in place of a lesser song, such as the aforementioned Viking Juice.

5. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Does anyone here listen to, INXS: All Access Areas? Because Mark Opitz was interviewed by the hosts recently (the Feb. 20 & 27th episodes) and he shared some very in-depth stories about the recordings of SS, WTWYA & FM, DH...

INXS: Access All Areas (podbean.com)

Btw, even though I know it wasn't a commercial release, I think I can speak on behalf of everyone here when I say that we definitely need to review the FM, DH video album before moving on to the next set of releases. Just a reminder, mark...:cool:

6. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

That does bring up one interesting issue. Do we base this album over the record only, a record with music videos for each song (as opposed to music videos made for just the single/s and not the entire album), or a record that has a different track arrangement because the way the music videos are presented on the video album rearrange the track order on the record?

7. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Yet another reason to review it separately...:thumbsup:

DrAftershave and mark winstanley like this.
  8. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Days of Rust:

This catchy rocker is pretty good and hits hard, making for a bold statement of an album opener. Loud, in your face guitars with Micheal giving a Jagger influence here. If I had to be critical here, I would say the song does come of a smidge generic here. I don't feel an sense of INXS here in the sense of production. Well, none of the less, I love the song anyway.

9. Roadrunner14

Roadrunner14 Forum Resident

Days of Rust: can’t say anything that hasn’t already been said, great raw rock track and I can hear the Jaggeresque tone that has been mentioned. Great album opener.

Literally finished listening to FMDH about 2 hours ago then stumbled on this thread.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

"The Gift"
    [​IMG]
    Single by INXS
    from the album Full Moon, Dirty Hearts
    Released
    23 October 1993
    Recorded 1993
    Length 4:04
    Label Atlantic
    Songwriter(s) Michael Hutchence Jon Farriss
    Producer(s) Mark Opitz INXS

"The Gift" is the first single released from Australian rock band INXS's 1993 album, Full Moon, Dirty Hearts. The song was written by Jon Farriss and Michael Hutchence. Upon its release, it reached number two in Portugal, number six on the US Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart, and number 16 in Australia. The music video was banned by MTV due to featuring controversial content.

CD single 1 (INXCD25)
    1. The Gift
    2. The Gift (Bonus Beats Mix)
    3. Born to Be Wild
    CD single 2 (INXCT 25)
    1. The Gift
    2. The Gift (Extended Mix)
    3. Heaven Sent (Live)
    CD single 3 (Atlantic 85722-2)
    1. The Gift
    2. Born to Be Wild
    3. The Gift (Extended Mix)
    4. The Gift (Bonus Beat Mix)
    5. Heaven Sent (Live)
    7-inch vinyl and cassette single (INXS25)
    1. The Gift
    2. The Gift (Extended Mix)

Chart (1993) Peak
    position

Australia (ARIA)[4] 16
    Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)[5] 36
    Europe (Eurochart Hot 100)[6] 27
    Ireland (IRMA)[7] 25
    New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)[8] 38
    Portugal (AFP)[9] 2
    Sweden (Sverigetopplistan)[10] 32
    UK Singles (OCC)[11] 11
    US Alternative Airplay (Billboard)[12] 6
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Here the band go for a semi-industrial kind of sound.
    We open up by going straight into it, with a a big fat distorted bassline a solid relentless drum pattern, and this staggered relentless guitar stab, that is played in such a way as to sound like a sample.

Oh, so fine
    We were trying
    Out of nowhere
    Just in time
    Let you take me
    Deep down the river
    Kiss the changes
    That shape my life

Always
    Left behind
    All the tracks that
    I could find
    Do do do do do
    All these scars are mine

I was thinking got the feeling
    The gift you gave
    Is gonna last forever

All the lies you find
    All the truth you see
    Rise and fall
    But I know what's mine
    Here we lie
    Looking up to
    Empty sky
    And the promises we find

I'm not the first one
    To ask why
    Yeah, yeah

Do do do do do
    Do do do do do
    All we ever try

I was thinking
    Got the feeling
    The gift you gave
    Is gonna last forever

I was thinking
    Got the feeling
    The gift you gave
    Is gonna last forever

Do do do do do
    Do do do do do
    All these scars are mine

Do do do do do
    Do do do do do
    All these scars are mine

I was thinking
    Got the feeling
    The gift you gave
    Is gonna last forever

All the lies you find
    All the truth you see
    Rise and fall
    But I know what's mine

I was thinking
    Got the feeling
    The gift you gave
    Is gonna last forever

All the lies you find
    All the truth you see
    Rise and fall
    But I know what's mine

Interestingly, over the last couple of albums, there are so many lyrics that could be seen as subtle, subliminal Christian messages ... I'm not saying they are, but they are there, and I find that interesting.

I liked this song from the first time I heard it. I'm not going to say it is my favourite Inxs song or anything, but it is certainly a song that I always enjoy.

The relentless bass and drums, the guitar that is there most of the time, but drops out for certain sections. Then we have the held synth chord that works as an atmospheric change up in certain sections.

There isn't much to analyze in terms of the music really, it is pretty set in stone, and I think for this song, that is extremely effective.

11. mark winstanley

The Gift - Video version

This version is a little longer, and of course comes with the, somewhat, controversial video.

12. mark winstanley

Born To Be Wild

This seems like a strange song to cover. Too well known. Too many other covers. This is like a bar band song essentially.
    The guys do a pretty good version of it, with a few little electronic adjustments in there. They essentially stay fairly true to the original.
    I have no problem with this, I just don't really know who thought it was a particularly good way to go.

13. mark winstanley

Heaven Sent - Live
    This was one of the Gift b-sides, but I am not sure which live version it is. If you know which it is, please post it for us.

Cheers
    Mark

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  14. mark winstanley

The Gift - Extended mix

We open with some delay fun, and then we get a brooding kind of build up.

15. mark winstanley

The Gift Bonus Beat Mix

This opens with just a vocal singing "all lies, all truth", with a big fat reverb trail.
    The guitar comes in, then drops out, back to just the vocal for a verse.
    Then we get the bass come in. We still have a big old delay on the vocal.

This could almost be called The Gift - elements mix

16. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The Gift: Great, bold choice for the first single, remember seeing it on MTV a fair amount but didn't hear it once on the radio here in Detroit. Worked great live, too.

17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Weren't the re-recordings of the early material that popped up later on the "Stay Young" compilation from the FMDH sessions in Capri?

18. mark winstanley

I don't know mate, but I'm sure someone here does.

twicks likes this.
  19. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

The Gift - I love this. It’s a great industrial rocker and weird enough for me. 4.5/5.

20. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip! Listening now...sad when Opitz talks about Michael's "supreme confidence" evaporating by the time of the FMDH sessions.

21. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

The Gift: 4/5. What a great gift it is. Another rocker that should have been bigger than it was. Sad this got lost in the shuffle.

22. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

This is the info on discogs for those tracks on the Stay Young compilation:

Barbarian
    Just Keep Walking
    In Vain
    Stay Young
    Recorded during the Full Moon, Dirty Hearts album sessions at Capri Digital Studios, Capri, Italy, 24 November 1992.

23. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I keep hearing U2 references in this thread. In The Gift, I really hear it in the music, both rhythmically and with the distortion. I’m going to be the exception here because it doesn’t impress me that much.

24. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

The Gift

This is a singular song for INXS. I don’t think they’ve got any other ones like this in their discography. Even without the apocalyptic video, what I hear in The Gift is the apocalypse. The soundscape here is spectacular. I can’t even analyze it the way I’d normally try to because it’s all wedded together in one searing, distorted landscape full of shards of guitar sounds and fuzzed-out bass drones. Everything breaking down, relentlessly grinding thoughts into dust. The video is as relentless as the song: one explosion after another for the entire length once it starts.

The Gift is a remarkable piece of work and releasing it as a lead single is daring, but let’s face it: there’s no way was this going to be a huge hit. Not mainstream enough. No hummable melody here. No catchy phrases, or finger tappable percussion hooks. They got my attention with this song but this is not typical INXS and it’s possible they scared people away with this one.

The single’s cover art imagery of Hutchence with angel wings at a Last Supper-styled table setting is over the top, but then I remember he’s going to be dead a few years later. I can’t hardly even look at the cover now.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  25. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Born To Be Wild

I called this the “spirit animal” of the Capri sessions for the album. It was recorded apparently as a special for the launch of the UK’s Virgin Radio station. Straight ahead version of the song, substituting saxophone for the more prominent organ sounds of the original. I like the energy and the way they just let it rip. Give me this over Viking Juice any day of the week.