INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

You mean Atlantic Records? I don't know; they bankrolled a whole bunch of INXS music videos in 1992.

It happens to (almost) every band eventually. R.E.M. couldn't believe it when Reveal stiffed in the U.S. U2 bricked with Pop and had to claw their way back. Just one more instance where INXS got there first...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  2. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Sorry to double back a bit, but this is interesting: According to Wikipedia it took 5 years but Welcome To Wherever You Are eventually went platinum in the States in 1997. Not too shabby.

3. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

I think WTWYA is over-certified in the US. Because, as of January 2005, Nielsen Soundscan listed its US sales at 595,000 (I believe it sold just over 500,000 copies by early summer 1993). Today, that figure would probably be closer to 650,000. I think the RIAA are counting the BMG/Columbia House 1 cent albums as actual sales, when they were virtually giving these particular records away for free. Realistically, the Nielsen Soundscan data is far more accurate (though, not entirely)...

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

It went platinum from Michael's death. Billboard at the time would regularly list new gold and platinum sales of records in their magazine. I followed over the years at the time of WTWYA sales to see if the certification would change because it was always "stuck" at gold level. No new certifications. Then Michael died and "death sales" qualified a bunch of INXS albums at once because they all showed up in the new report after his death with new certifications. I was immediately saddened upon reading the report that it took this action to see the band get new gold/platinum awards (especially WTWYA).

5. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

The Gift: Love this one. It has this gritty feel to it thanks to the drums, effects and Micheal's vocals. It's a shame I never got to experience this as single; Considering the radio station I listened to at the time, it would have been a perfect fit on their playlist. Ah well. Thankfully I do hear it on the current streaming radio station I listen to, so at least it's not forgotten.

Make Your Peace: From the opening guitar and bouncy beat, it's that unmistakable INXS sound that I've grown to love. It's a great deep track and it's really fun to listen to.

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I know they had that bump in sales around Michael's death .... but
    The way Inxs seem to have been turned against after Kick, and the way the band and Michael didn't really have a huge renaissance when Michael passed, is quite bewildering to me. It seems to go against all the models of how the music industry has always worked .... Maybe I'm missing something, but it is like they really pissed off some big mover and shaker deep on the inside

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

"Time"

[​IMG]
    Single by INXS
    from the album Full Moon, Dirty Hearts
    Released
    January 1994
    Recorded 1993
    Genre Alternative rock, hard rock
    Length 2:55
    Label Eastwest
    Songwriter(s) Andrew Farriss and Michael Hutchence

"Time" is the third single from the 1993 album Full Moon, Dirty Hearts, by Australian rock band INXS. The song was written by Andrew Farriss and Michael Hutchence.

The single was only ever released in Japan and Australia as a "Souvenir EP" to coincide with the "Dirty Honeymoon Tour" in Australia and the Southern Hemisphere.

Track listings
    CD maxi single (45099-51582) and cassette maxi single (45099-51584)

1. "Time"
    2. "Communication" (live)
    3. "The Gift" (live)
    4. "Please (You Got That ...)" (live)
    5. "Taste It" (live)

Chart (1994) Peak
    position

Australian ARIA Singles Chart 36
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Here we get a thumping root note bass, a solid drum beat, an interesting little percussion sound and a processed, accent chunk rhythm guitar bringing us into the picture.

Got to make a sense yeah
    Everything affects ya
    Your turning up the pressure
    But can you keep it on?

Well it's only time
    It's only time that makes you
    Well it's only time
    It's only time that breaks you

Yeah, there gonna make ya
    Pay for the crime
    Put you up in cages
    Treat you unkind

Well it's only time
    Well it's only time

Well it's only
    It's only time
    It's only time

All your plans are made now
    Just like they told you
    So what becomes of Monday
    Now that Sundays' gone

All you ever wanted
    Will come to you one day
    Just when you taste it
    You turn and walk away

Well it's only time
    Well it's only time

Well it's only time
    Well it's only time

Time
    It's only time

Songwriters: Michael Hutchence / Andrew Farriss
    Time lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

There's nothing particularly profound in the lyrics, but they certainly aren't bad.

For me the thing about this song that works really well, is the minimalist kind of verse, rolling into the rolling melody and vibe of the chorus. I think it works really effectively and gives the song the life it needs.
    I somewhat wish they had kept the vocal a little more clean here. I understand they were probably going for the swirl of time sound in it, but I think the song would have come across slightly better with a straight vocal.

I like the ascending section about halfway through, as we keep rising in chords until we break back down to the verse.
    Interestingly we have another comparatively short song, but to me, it does what it needs to do, gets in and gets out.

Probably a good single, but not among my favourite tracks, but I like it.

8. mark winstanley

9. mark winstanley

10. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Time

This is definitely more in line with the first two songs on the album. It has a typically straight forward/basic lead guitar riff from Tim and a nice edge to the mix. Nothing fancy about it just a straight up rocker.

11. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day, you fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way. No? Not that song?

Seriously, Time is a tight, interesting track. Time both makes you and breaks you, some good sentiments here. This one works for me.

12. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Time

Features a basic track of pulsing bass and thudding drums that reminds me of 70’s AC/DC. Seriously, on a system with some bottom end this rules. That transition section that rises up briefly only to return to the basic track again works well. Short, to the point, and excellent.

I like the overlapping mix they’ve made with Make Your Peace/Time on the CD. This was not present in the “album length visual” and these songs weren’t even consecutive in that running order.

13. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Time: 5/5. One of the highlights of the album. Both the verse and chorus are inspired. When I reconnected with this album about 10 years ago, this song stood out from the beginning tracks. What the listening fans missed out here during the time. This song is worthy of the band that made Don't Change all those years ago.

14. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I believe "Time" is the only song from FMDH that made the live set on the next tour, so the band must have liked it. It's definitely a solid track but pretty safely in their wheelhouse.

While I do enjoy this album, at this point IMO it starts feeling like a really good B-sides comp, full of songs that are solid and well-performed but don't really elevate things or give the record its own distinct identity within their catalog.

15. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Mid-album is where it kicks into gear with the trademarked INXS variety of styles and gets really good for a nice stretch. For me anyway.

16. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I'd agree with that.

17. DrAftershave

"Time" is a great song. Billboard at the time announced it as a new single in America but it was only released as a promo to radio. That being said, again, I did not hear this on the radio at all or see the music video be played anywhere. This was pretty much the last amount of promotion I recall seeing being done for FM,DH. It's too bad it didn't become a physical single in America (although with no promotion at all I doubt it would've gone anywhere on the charts) because "Time" is a great rocker with that relentless driving beat that kicks in and drives that energy consistently after "Make Your Piece" abruptly ends right into it. 4 songs into the record tracklisting, it feels like the band is on fire and still pushing forward.

18. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Time is another simplistic, straight-forward hard rocker, that was an obvious single choice. Nothing to dislike here. Lyrically, it succinctly says what it needs to say. And instrumentally, it provides the necessary hard-edged feel embedded in the lyrics, and is underscored with a bridge sequence where both shifting guitar riffs move up the fretboard in unison, then climax, before dropping back in the verses. It's a song that's both fun as hell to listen to, as well as play on guitar. Time is a classic INXS track.

The live version from the 05-08-93 Santa Monica show posted above, is a little wobbly, since MH forgets some of the first verse lyrics (probably due to its brand-newness). But overall, it's a good live version.

19. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

It's always bewildered me too. Though, while we can sit here and speculate as to why that was, I don't think it was because they angered a "big wig"...

mark winstanley likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

I'm Only Looking

Here we get a bit of a change in direction.
    We open with that clean funky guitar that for the majority of the world had probably been one of the defining factors in the band's sound, even though we all know that it was only part of the band's overall sound.
    Beers punches out a suitably grinding funk on the bass, and Jon is riding along beautifully.
    The we get Michael come in with a spoken vocal ....

I hear voices
    Inside my head
    Can I deceive
    Can I believe
    My whispering friends

What do I hear
    About war and peace
    What do I hear
    About love and sex

I'm delirious
    For an answer

Taking me deeper
    And deeper in mind
    I'm only looking

Fascination for
    Limits of love
    Should I aim higher
    And higher and higher

Will I break you
    Like some possession
    To learn my lesson

Songwriters: Michael Hutchence / Andrew Farriss
    I'm Only Looking lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group

The lyric here is interesting, and it has a slightly paranoid slant to it. I wonder if this thinking was a result of the accident in some way.
    It sounds like he feels on the outside looking in, and isn't quite sure what he sees or what he should expect.
    Still searching, and unsure of finding....

This song has grown on me a lot during the time I have been listening to this album....
    At first I was in the sort of, this is interesting but doesn't really grab me, and I have moved to a position of this is a really good song that is enhanced by the slightly different approach to it's presentation.

We have that sort of funk thing going on, but we also have a sort of atmospheric backdrop, that the funk sits on, and it kind of gives this a unique sound to my ears, which is probably why it took a couple o0f listens to settle in for me.

Although Andrew's keys on here aren't the primary instrument, for me the way they are used is excellent, and adds an awful lot to the feel of this song.
    The way the guitar and keys blend in the chorus is really excellent, and gives us more dimensions to play with.

The instrumental break has an excellent effect guitar lead break, and it again really adds to the atmosphere ...

This ends up being among my favourite tracks here, because it brings a different personality to the table, and I think it works extremely well..... I'm a fan of this anyway.

21. DrAftershave

So far, the band is 5 for 5 with "I'm Only Looking" as it continues Side A of having good/aggressive grooves dominating the side. Such a hooky groove as Michael alternates between spoken word and crooning. The muted trumpet stabs work well within the groove and brings the song to a satisfying finish.

22. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

I'm Only Looking

It's took a while for this track to grow on me but it's now one of my favourites on the album.

It's slightly more forward thinking in its approach than what precedes it. There is a certain depth that reveals itself on repeated listens.

It's slightly similar in style to the sleaziness we last heard on Taste It. A voyeuristic journey through the eyes of Hutchence.

23. DanP

DanP Forum Resident

An album highlight. A potent mix of propulsive groove but with ambient highlights and atmospheres.

On the one hand, my admiration of Brian Eno makes me hear his mixing touches. On the other, it sounds very much like pure INXS overall. If I didn't know from the credits Eno had mixed it, I don't think I could have picked it.

Which begs another question; what's mixing and what's mixing? Some mixing engineers have a profound knowledge of EQ, of reverbs, of how bumping up the mids on the toms interferes with the rhythm guitar, of the technicalities of aural architecture. These people are integral to every record we hear and, aside from diehard music-heads, often go unnoticed. On the other hand, Eno arrives in a studio, most often with his own actual engineer, and says 'It needs to sound squishier','How do we discard an axiom here?','How might this sound more equivocal?', "What actually are drums?' - while his actual engineer does all the work and the band get to say "BRIAN ENO MIXED OUR ALBUM!"

I digress, probably.

24. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I’m Only Looking

Brian Eno mixed this and it truly does have a “different vibe” than the others on the album. His exact contribution to the “sound” here is a total unknown, but it sure does seem different somehow. The detached lyrics, the trumpet solo, the subtle keyboard touches, the surprising guitar feedback solos, the single note reverbed guitar ending - put them all in a pot and stir. Great track.

Trumpet solo is by John Kirk. I looked him up on discogs and he was a member of Australian group The Uncanny X-Men: Uncanny X-Men . So how did this guy end up on the isolated Island of Capri with his trumpet? Or was it dubbed in later? But then when did Eno mix the track? So many questions.....

In the “album length visual” this track follows The Gift, which works very well for me because after being pummeled by The Gift’s relentless onslaught here comes this coolly detached set of lyrics. The Gift is so difficult to follow and I don’t think the CD tracklisting with Make Your Peace is the right choice to follow up the apocalypse. After the apocalypse, you withdraw and say “I’m Only Looking” - not “Make Your Peace”.
    Yes to this. The vocals have a slightly disconnected feel to them, as if MH is just an observer.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  25. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I’m Only Looking also has a nice remix by David Morales that shows up on the Freedom Deep single and on a single associated with their Greatest Hits album a year later. The remix doesn’t head straight to the dance floor but instead emphasizes the darker atmosphere of the song. I like this: