INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

yes x 1000! LOL.

2. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Agree that this is an album highlight that initially doesn't make the biggest impression but reveals its subtle charms with repeat listening. Perhaps at this point in their catalog I had gotten slightly bored with "the INXS sound" and responded more to stuff like this where they push their boundaries a bit.

Had absolutely no idea this was an Eno production. :)

3. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I’m Only Looking is a rather disturbed song. Our narrator is going deeper into his mind and wondering if he’ll break somebody. The relentless music and atonal instrumental sections drive the point home. This is one of the album’s better tracks.

4. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

“I’m Only Looking” has always been an album highlight for me, but the album’s tracklist seems to bury it by sandwiching it in between the driving rock of “Time” and the obvious radio track of “Please (You Got That…)”. This was one of the surprises of the video for me – moving it up front, after “The Gift”, provides a more natural transition and better highlights this song.

I love the lyrics even though I wouldn’t claim to fully understand them. They’re detached for sure, but they’re also sort of introspective. They leave a lot to the listener’s imagination which fits the dream-like quality of the song (I assume this is the Eno contribution).

5. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

I'm Only Looking: 5/5. Another highlight. Older INXS pops up here. This one could have fit on Welcome. As with some of their albums, songs relate to each other. This song calls to Freedom Deep. The beat, keys, and Michael's voice blend into velvet drink.

6. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Haha, fantastic.

mark winstanley and Bluepicasso like this.
  7. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

I'm Only Looking's intros with two 9th chords and its verse groove is locked into place with a G7sus4 chord. I love the hybrid semi-ambient / funk rock feel to this track. Once the chorus hits, the song doesn't shift the tempo but instead abruptly eliminates the "groove" chord and temporarily replaces it with differing chord changes. Andrew's keyboard textures are virtually nuanced throughout. The (mostly) instrumental bridges surprise us with a moody Miles Davis-like trumpet solo, executed by session player, John Kirk, coupled with a distorted guitar's swirling feedback. IOL creates an atmospheric landscape so musically rewarding, that it aides Michael's provocatively sensual vocals, while exuding a caressive touch. What an excellent album track!

8. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

9. DanP

DanP Forum Resident

I know opinions are divided here as to U2 comparisons, but can't help noticing that INXS come on stage with the house lights still on, only for them to drop - with dramatic effect - at a key point midway through the first song, a neat trick U2 also used. But not until Elevation tour in 2000.

10. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

11. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I’m Only Looking is just brilliant. Listen to it more and it reveals more.

The video for it on the album-length visual is pretty much perfect for the mood & energy this track exudes:

12. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Absolutely. And the only downside, is that it's not quite the whole show...

twicks and mark winstanley like this.
  13. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Time: A personal favorite of mine and a resident on my driving/cycling playlists. Again, really wish this was a radio staple, but alas, fickle markets and such. Anyway, it's laden with buzzing guitars, Micheal's stellar vocal that evokes a Good Times call back and I mustn't forget: it's gotta groove that you can dance to; It's a solid INXS arena rocker.

I'm Only Looking: A funky workout that chugs along and it's got me grooving along. I really love Micheal's dreamy vocal delivery and fits the lyrics perfectly. A forgotten classic that's for sure.

14. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

FMDH might just be Hutchences strongest album in terms of vocals.

I can definitely see how Bono and Michael Stipe were inspired/influenced.

15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

"Please (You Got That ...)"

[​IMG]
    Single by INXS
    from the album Full Moon, Dirty Hearts
    Released
    11 December 1993
    Recorded 1993
    Genre Alternative rock
    Length 3:05
    Label Atlantic
    Songwriter(s) Andrew Farriss and Michael Hutchence

"Please (You Got That ...)" is the second single from the 1993 album Full Moon, Dirty Hearts, by Australian rock band INXS. The song was written by Andrew Farriss and Michael Hutchence and featured guest vocals by Ray Charles.

When Ray Charles arrived to sing his part, Hutchence was there in the studio to teach him how to produce the Hutchencesque vocal style. "Mr. Charles," Michael respectfully addressed him, "... it (the melody) goes like this ... (Michael sings the line and Ray Charles attempts to imitate it). After many attempts Charles says, "Sir (Michael), I know I will eventually get it right" ... and of course he did.[1]

In June 2019, a new version of the song was released as the second single from the 2019 documentary film Mystify and lifted from the soundtrack, Mystify: A Musical Journey with Michael Hutchence.

CD Single 1 INXCD26
    1. Please (You Got That ...)
    2. Please (You Got That ...) (Main Edit)
    3. Freedom Deep (Extended 12" Mix)
    4. Communication (Live)
    CD Single 2 INXXX 26 & 12" Vinyl
    1. Please (You Got That ...) (Club Need Mix)
    2. Please (You Got That ...) (Needful Dub Mix)
    3. Please (You Got That ...) (Downtown Dub Mix)
    4. Please (You Got That ...) (Downtown Instrumental Mix)
    Cassette single INXS25
    1. Please (You Got That ...)
    2. Freedom Deep (Extended 12" Mix)

Chart (1993) Peak
    position

Australian ARIA Singles Chart 37
    UK Singles Chart 50
    US Billboard Hot Dance Music/Club Play 9
    ------------------------------------------------------
    It is always going to be a coup to get Ray Charles to sing on one of your songs/albums. Ray has one of the most distinctive voices in the business, and has a history, and level of distinction that is hard to stand up next to.
    This is a good track and has its roots in music a lot older.... it is still flavoured with the modern times, but the underlying song is pretty old school, so it's no surprise that this is the song Ray chose to sing on.

We get a nice little guitar riff, and a solid beat and then Hutchence comes in, with some vocal interjections from Ray.

I've come to tell you 'bout the story I see
    It made of honey but it sting like a bee
    Got the message that it come from the floor
    And that's the way to get yourself in trouble

You think it's easy 'cause you don't know the feeling
    Make it up
    Make it up like you do no wrong
    Give me fever like a man blind from passion
    If you got the time I'll show you how to turn it on

Please, You got that need

She got her ways to get me down on the floor
    And take me places that I never seen before
    Someone told me I got to take it easy
    But I'm a junkie
    A junkie when the heat is on

Please, you got that need

You think it's easy 'cause you don't know the feeling
    Make it up, make it up like you do no wrong
    Give me fever like a man blind from passion
    If you got the time I'll show you how to turn it on

Songwriters: Farriss Andrew Charles / Hutchence Michael Kelland
    Please (You Got That...) lyrics © Chardonnay Investments Ltd., Inxs Publishing Pty. Ltd.

I like the phrasing and melody of the vocal, and it ends up probably being the main draw for me here. That isn't to say that the music isn't good, it's just that the vocal is driving this bus.
    During the verses we have a piano banging out an atmospheric chord, somewhat like an old style rock song, and then we get the real dynamic musical effect that this song has, and it's all about the powerful punch of the distorted guitars punching in rhythmically to bring the chorus up.

Probably the only question that I get from this song is, the first verse is split in half with Michael taking the first four lines and Ray taking the second four.
    Then the next time round Ray doesn't get a line, and it seems slightly odd. There is nothing wrong with it structurally at all, but if you have Ray Charles in your studio recording with you, it seems you would give him more rather than less to do.
    To some degree this is counteracted by Ray's continuing vocalising interjections that seem to bring in a bit of soul music's styling into the song.
    When we get to the last verse Michael and Ray go two lines each.

To some degree one of the main draws is the dynamic change between the verse and the chorus, and it works really well.
    We get a sort of musical bridge, with a change up that leads into the last verse.

Anyway, I think this is a very engaging track and it works really well....
    and from what I am hearing so far, there is no logical reason that this album didn't do well.

16. mark winstanley

We'll look at the Freedom Deep 12", when we do that track.... it looks like that will be Monday.

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

Please (main edit)

Here we open with a synthetic backdrop, and the song moves into a slightly more funky variation ...
    This is actually pretty cool, and in some ways I could see this version growing on me.
    We get some different vocal edits, and a slightly more modern mainstream type of mix (for the time).
    This works pretty well.

18. mark winstanley

Please ( club need mix)

Yea, this instantly starts off outside my interest zone..... and until we get three or so minutes in, it stays there. A drum machine running pretty much on its own for that loong just doesn't really interest me. Certainly probably good for a dance club.
    After the 3, 3.5 minutes we get Ray vocalising over a cut back section, and the song variation finally starts. It's ok at the stage, but just not my thing.

19. mark winstanley

Please (Needful dub mix)

Again we get a drum machine loop and we get some stuff added over the top.....
    Again we are waiting 3, 3.5 minutes before a vocal comes in, and the rest just isn't interesting enough to me to warrant that.

Dance club wanderings for the intoxicated.

20. mark winstanley

Please (downtown club mix)

A drum machine, with a looped vocal edit .... fifty seconds of that and I wish I had already switched it off.
    We move into a drum machine ..... Then we get one of those slushy synth basses, some more vocal edits ...
    Just not my thing.

21. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Please 2/5. Not a fan of this song at all. There is the occasional song on their albums that I skip. We have reached that song for me. It isn't that I am not a fan of Ray. To me, this connection doesn't work.

22. mark winstanley

Please (Downtown Instrumental mix)

Nah, not for me

23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Can't forget this performance. Even confined to a stool, Michael is animated and seems really happy.

24. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

"Please (You Got That...)" works as a palate cleanser as the last song on Side A. Full of energy, but has a restraint that allows a "breather" so to speak after 5 songs in a row full of energy/aggression. If only this momentum carried over flawlessly into Side B.

25. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Please (You Got That...)

As much as I want to like this it just doesn't hit the mark for me. The vocals are obviously excellent but I think the chorus lets it down. It sounds somewhat underdeveloped or rushed.

It's probably my least favourite song on the album.