INXS - The Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Searching is one of INXS' most soulful ballads. Contrary to the previous track, the atmosphere presented in the intro prepares us for what's to come. The slow tempo & light instrumentation, including the wah-wah pedal guitar riffs, bass lines, keyboard melody lines, backing vocals & Michael's lead vocal delivery, all compliment each other nicely. Despite its greatness, I still think there's something missing from this particular recording, as it seems like it doesn't breathe as well as it could've. And consequently, I much prefer the live versions from the EW tour, or even the world premiere from the 1996 ARIA awards (which I remember listening to online from one of INXS' sites, shortly after it aired). Regardless, Searching is an excellent song.

I almost prefer the Leadstation Main mix to the original and feel the horn parts are a welcome addition and help to make the track even more soulful. This mix was actually used for Searching's music video.

The Alex Reece Bass & Drum, Linslee Campbell R&B, Leadstation's Funk Workout & Bosch mixes, all present some new & unique ideas. But unfortunately, all fail to enhance the song's enjoyment.

2. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Searching: We slip into this laid back, soulful ballad and at first I couldn't get into it. It was a grower after a few listens of the album. I do love the arrangement and Micheal's voice is soulful in its delivery. It's a great track hands down.

Like the majority here, I too prefer the Leadstation mix. It has a better rendition that suits the song and not only that, it really moves me emotionally. It definitely was the rightful choice to close out the Shine Like it Does comp with that version.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I'm Just A Man

I really like the opening here.
    Look I don't personally buy into the whole U2 comparison that has floated through this thread, but this song starts off like a long lost U2 song.... and they wear this well here.
    The atmosphere that the guitar creates here is really excellent. As the cymbal swells the guitar plays an arpeggio and then moves into what sounds lie a suspended 4th and then back to the major.

I'm just a man
    My will is so strong
    When I've got plans
    I close my eyes to the pain

My mother ran
    My father left town
    But we still have what's necessary to go on

Flesh and blood
    Flesh and blood

I'm part of you
    Your part of me
    There's nothing said
    That cannot be undone

My brother's sane
    His heart is so strong
    He's killed some pain
    To himself nearly did the same

It washed away
    Into the cruel sea
    Like everything that's built upon the sand

Flesh and blood
    Flesh and blood

Sweet sister T
    She loved so long and hard
    Kept to herself
    Until that right man came along

Some men they lie
    Some men they cheat
    But now she's found
    Someone to be as strong

I'm just a man
    My will is so strong
    When I've got plans
    I close my eyes to the pain

My father ran (flesh and blood)
    My mother left town
    But we still have (flesh and blood)
    What's necessary to go on

I'm part of you
    Your part of me

Songwriters: Andrew Charles Farriss / Michael Hutchence
    I’m Just a Man lyrics © Chardonnay Investments Ltd

This is a very human song, and I think this is one of the more straight forward and poignant lyrics in the catalog.
    We look at a family dynamic, and really that family could very easily be spread to be seen as the whole of people in general.
    This may be the best lyric the band has put out, that I know.

The building of this song is very compelling, and the atmosphere builds with the observations in the lyrics.
    The drums and bass here are solid but nothing fancy, the colour in the song comes from the atmospheric guitars and the vocals.

Around the 1:30 point in the song we get a really nice change, and then crash into the next verse (My Brother...) At this point we get a nice aggressive, but not to aggressive tremolo guitar that is really very effective.
    We also start getting a few little bits and pieces from the drums here that really add some special sauce.

We get a reprise of the first verse that has Hutchence really punching it out, and it is really very effective...
    From what I am hearing on this album, there is no way that I don't think Hutchence was fully invested in this album, and its songs.

I have listened to this song a couple of times, as I said at the start, I hadn't heard this album enough when we started, and this morning feels like the first time I have really heard this song, and this is a top class track.
    I am enjoying this album, and this may be my favourite track so far.
    Even the way the song gentle falls away at the end works pretty well, like a reflective sigh.

4. mark winstanley

I couldn't find the acoustic live version but here is a live in the studio type thing

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

6. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

I'm Just A Man: 5/5. From the opening notes, one knows this song will be killer. The lyrics are obviously about this family, and who Michael is -- Just A Man. Pretty obvious what was going on around him influenced the lyrics. On reflection, one really feels for him. Not in a good place at all mentally. The guitar weaving is perfect. Entry of great INXS keys. Couldn't ask for better of a song. The construction and the building of the song is poetic. Emotion at 100 percent. Rock bands should study this song as how to "do it". One of my favorite songs from them, and by anybody. I put this song against The Stones, Who, the greats, even the mighty Beatles as a rock classic. Yes, it is what rock was meant to be.

7. mark winstanley

Nicely stated

8. Bluepicasso

Thank you. One of "those" songs for me. Top tier INXS!

9. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I watched this earlier in the week, and if you keep listening after the song ends you can hear the tape still recording and capturing various bits of studio banter.

Anyways, this excellent version of the song was released on this CD:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-2-Meter-Sessies-Volume-7/release/1890302

10. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I’m Just A Man

Bluesy intro guitar, giving way into a cymbal wash that starts the beat up. At 4:48 this is practically epic length for INXS, and it builds intensity as the song continues, so I can tell thats the intent here: be epic. Truly heartfelt lyrics.

@mark winstanley and @Bluepicasso you guys described it perfectly this morning. This is one helluva A+ song. Maybe the best song on the album, but definitely the best song that wasn’t a single. So that makes it one of the best “deep cuts” in the INXS catalog.

11. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

I'm Just a Man

Probably the most personal and introspective lyrics ever penned by Hutchence. I love the bluesy opening with what sounds like a cigarette being lit in the background.

The song builds beautifully until it reaches a climactic outpouring of emotion.

Musically it has always reminded me slightly of Texas's "Halo".

Overall this is a brilliant song that is as good as anything else they ever recorded.

12. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

It took a couple of listens but I’ve come to really enjoy I’m Just a Man. The lyrics are wonderful, and Michael sings them perfectly. The rhythm is a bit too repetitive but there are enough little musical flourishes to keep things interesting. This song is a grower.

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say I'm hoping to discover things in threads like this.

13. mark winstanley

That's why I specifically love doing these kinds of threads. I can have heard an album many times, but never really listened, and then, as with these last few albums, I just never got around to them....

Really having to listen, so I don't come off as too much of an idiot, reading everyone's thoughts and getting inside the band/artist and the songs, just reveals so much

14. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

Nothing about the song itself to add that hasn’t already been said. It’s a brilliant deep cut. This is one of the tracks I’ve “rediscovered” in recent listening thanks to this thread, and I’m really glad I did. Can’t believe it’s been off my radar for so long… this really is a classic.

15. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I'm Just A Man: Michael's vocal is really great, but I find the song a little too repetitive, without the changes & thrills of a similar "mood" tune like The Stairs.

16. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I forgot to mention this earlier, but in the comments to this video on YouTube is a note from Christina Hutchence (aka “Tina”) herself:

“He handed me a tape of this song and left for Europe - I called him in the UK to complement him and thank him for writing it as it wouldn’t be easy for our parents to hear it. He began to weep.”

17. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

I'm Just A Man intros with a semi-country music feel, and this soundscape carries us through the entire track. The sheer momentum built by the time with get to the 2nd half is extremely uplifting. Instrumentally, the acoustic guitar rhythms mainly propel the track. But the backing vocals, electric guitar parts (including the delay & reverb effects) and especially Kirk's climaxing saxophone lines, catapults the song's emotionality into the stratosphere. Lyrically, the subject matter is so incredibly poignant and personal, that I perfectly understand why INXS never played this again live after MH died. IJAM contains just the right amount of arrangement accompaniments and nuances to make it a classic. This song definitely should've been a single...

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  18. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Just a Man:

It's a definitely a real highlight on the album. Everything here is great: the personal lyrics, the groovetastic rhythm and Micheal's vocal delivery which really sell the lyrics. It's a great deep track that feels like a potential single and with that in mind, the song really deserved a place on their anthology sets.

19. mark winstanley

Girl On Fire

Nice ringing guitar riff/arpeggio leads us in here, with an urgent feeling drum beat coming in. As the vocals come in we get the pulsing bass joining the party.

I just landed
    Girl on fire
    I felt the heat
    From Sydney to London

Well she shut my mouth
    With her repartee
    I opened her's
    With the rest of me

Girl on fire
    Baby burn burn burn
    Girl on fire
    Baby burn burn burn

Out of the shadows
    Comes a dirty song
    The same old faces
    Try to keep you in line

I saw you laughing
    At the very first show
    You lit up the city
    From the twenty-sixth floor

Girl on fire
    Baby burn burn burn
    Girl on fire
    What's saving her

Baby burn burn burn
    Baby burn burn burn
    Baby burn burn burn

I just landed
    Girl on fire
    I felt the heat
    From New York to London

Well she shut my mouth
    With a repartee
    I opened her's
    With the things that I say

Girl on fire
    That's the heat that burns
    Girl on fire
    How the flames make you yearn

Girl on fire
    Girl on fire
    Girl on fire
    Girl on fire on

Flames are rising
    Flames are rising
    Flames are rising
    Flames are rising

Songwriters: Michael Kelland Hutchence / Andrew Charles Farriss
    Girl on Fire lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc

Interesting lyric that seems to speak of passion.

The verses roll along with the guitar riff and as we hit the chorus we get chord change, with the opening riff playing against it mixed fairly low, and it works really quite well.
    Also the backing vocal arrangement in the chorus comes off really well.

In the middle of the song we get a really well done change, that uses a horn section sound to beef it up.... almost giving it a soul music twist in the middle. Anyway this really releases the tension that the repeated verse riff created well.

This rolls back into another verse and chorus.

I think this track works really well, and the sort of freeform jamming free for all at the end also adds well to it.

20. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

My fav song....................

21. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Girl on Fire

Easily my least favourite track on the album. It's catchy and has a solid vocal but for me it comes off as a bit bland. The lyrics sound like they might be about Paula Yates. As someone else previously mentioned there is a touch of exile era stones in the horn breaks here which is a nice touch.

Melllvar, Al Gator, dirkster and 3 others like this.
  22. Bluepicasso

Girl on Fire: 3.5/5. The lyrics are kinda basic tbh. As a result, the music is kinda tailored to it. Who knows the music could have been done first. Anyway, it's a track that keeps the punch growing. It's tight, but not a track I would define as being a top one from the album.

23. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Girl On Fire

Definitely a bit generic, but I like the spirit. The horn section that first appears from 1:50-2:15 elevates the song. It reappears a bit more throughout the remainder, and without it this song would be a notch lower in my estimation. It seems like they looked at the album so far and thought to themselves, “ok - side one is good, but now we need to start off side two with a rocker. What do we have that for that....?” I mentally group this song with “Biting Bullets” from Listen Like Thieves, as both are just “ok” songwise but their function on the album is to keep the energy level up.

24. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

This mix was on the “Everything” single. Not that great, kinda generic itself.

mark winstanley likes this.
  25. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Girl on Fire seems like a song of lust, but it’s a bit of a mess. Again we get a relentlessly unchanging beat, and while there’s some variety in the rest of the song, it’s not enough to save it. The lyrics range from generic to awful. “I opened her's with the rest of me” - really? It feels thrown together rather than lovingly assembled and is not one of the band’s best.