Ipod Classic

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hbbfam, Mar 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

I could never warm up to my 160gb classic/iTunes and ended up giving it to my niece.
    On the other hand, I did install a sound system for a restaurant and the owner, who had wonderful taste in music, used a 160gb classic set on random playback for 12 hours a day, six days a week, for 14 years. The only restaurant where I actually looked forward to hearing the background music.

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

My understanding is the ipods with the following model numbers use the Wolfson dacs: MA448 / MA450 / PA448 / PA450 MA444 / MA446 / PA444 / PA446 / MA664. These are 5.5 gen, or 5th gen enhanced. I can't recall where I found this info, but it seemed definitive. I have also read the 5th and 5.5 gen ipods have the Wolfson, but the info seemed less reliable. Maybe I'll crack open my 5th gen and verify the dac chip on the board.

You can find the model number by going into settings. My 5th gen ipod is MA146 which denotes 5th gen. BTW, the number on the back case means very little.

PB Point, Bingo Bongo and Tim 2 like this.
  3. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thank you for the information. The one I purchased was supposedly a gen 5 (not 5.5) with the Wolfson chip. I too have read that the 5 and the 5.5 had the Wolfson but again nothing to confirm if that is indeed true. Either way I'm very impressed with the sound quality and storage capacity of the device.

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

Ok, I took my 5th gen apart for a look inside. There's a Wolfson dac in there for sure. So the 5th and 5.5 gen do have the Wolfson. All of the model numbers I listed a few posts ago have the it. Whew.

Actually, I'm glad I verified it one way or the other. Now all that said, I'm not sure I can hear the difference between the 5th gen and the 7th gen, but I don't have any way to do an A/B test without a 30 second minimum swap. They both sound great to me.

Jam757 likes this.
  5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks for confirming, that is great. Yes, I also own a 7th generation and always thought it sounded great too. There might be more of a difference with my IPhone XR which for awhile has been my primary player until I got this little dynamo.

timind likes this.
  6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Reading the about posts I assume you folks are using the pods as portable units ?
    I use my pod as a back-up in my second system most times. I plug it into an Arcam DR DAC to access the digital output, charging feature and remote. I then send the digital signal to my main DAC.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sevoflurane, timind and Kyle Mooney like this.
  7. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Is there any advantage of an iPod classic vs the current iPod Touch, from a sound quality/ease of use standpoint?

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

160 Classic, great player. Love making Playlists, or just shuffle the 8,000 songs I got on it.

Bingo Bongo and Eric_Generic like this.
  9. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I think I’m finally going to sell my classic. Never thought I’d do this. But, I just never use it. I use my iPhone for music exclusively...

timind and Bingo Bongo like this.
  10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

You could easily sell it but I own two and actually completely phased out music from my phone as I prefer to have it separate and just use the phone for pics. I bought a souped up 5th generation off of EBay with one terabyte of storage, thing is absolutely incredible! 5th generation still has the Wolfson chip
    too.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  11. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Mine is the most recent generation with the highest storage. I always liked the idea of a music only device, but I don’t think I have touched it all year...

12. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

1. It's instant, one press of the dial wakes it, another press and it plays. If it's already awake, single press to play. I haven't used a current iPod Touch, but if it's anything like the phone, I imagine it's a Press Home, swipe up, select Music, select Artist scenario before it will do anything. Correct me if this isn't the case.

2. The switch-activated nature of the dial means you'll never pick it up and accidentally swipe an unintended action on the screen

Does the iPod Touch have Cover View? If not, that's another advantage for the classic. Absolutely the best way of scrolling through a library on a mobile device.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  13. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I have only ever used my iPod classics as transport for portable DAC/amps. I have had as many as 6 but now down to 2 due to hard drive failure. Also current Macs and ITunes are no longer compatible. I am now using and iPod Touch with a Mojo Chord. The 256gb Touch is crazy expensive at $500 near as pricey as the 256gb iPad Mini. I should just get a proper music player like the Astelle & Kern.

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

[QUOTE="razerx, post: 25770938, The 256gb Touch is crazy expensive at $500 near as pricey as the 256gb iPad Mini. I should just get a proper music player like the Astelle & Kern.[/QUOTE]

This past month I purchased a brand new (refurbished) 5.5/256gb, the U2 commemorative version, for roughly $250 bucks!

JeffMo, razerx, Jam757 and 1 other person like this.
  15. timind

timind phorum rezident

This past month I purchased a brand new (refurbished) 5.5/256gb, the U2 commemorative version, for roughly $250 bucks![/QUOTE]
    Congrats! A couple months ago I purchased a mint 5.5 U2 commemorative version for $50. Popped in a new battery and an iflash card with 768gb of memory! I dig the red click wheel.

The problem with the 5.5 gen is, I don't know how to get the digital signal out to a dac. That's no problem with my 7th gen.

16. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

This past month I purchased a brand new (refurbished) 5.5/256gb, the U2 commemorative version, for roughly $250 bucks![/QUOTE]

I have the same U2 iPod purchased used already SSD converted. I would convert my dead classics but have already moved on to the next generation DACs compatible with the lightening Touch iPods.

17. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

My classic 160 is the only thing keeping me from plunking down for a DAP like an A&K. At this point it's a staring contest with me thinking "When are you ever going to die?" Other than the occasional need for a hard reset, it is still singing like the day I bought it. I marvel at the thing. It has the most musical mileage of anything I have ever owned.

18. timind

timind phorum rezident

I have the same U2 iPod purchased used already SSD converted. I would convert my dead classics but have already moved on to the next generation DACs compatible with the lightening Touch iPods.[/QUOTE]
    Does the ipod touch plug directly into the dac, or do you need a device between the touch and the dac?

19. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

You need the Apple Lightning to USB Camera adapter: iPod Touch to the camera adapter then to the DAC via a USB to micro USB cable (for the Chord Mojo). There are also aftermarket “audiophile” cables licensed by Apple that connects the iPod Touch directly to the DAC.

timind likes this.
  20. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Here is some info about the 5.5 including serial numbers. Do all these have the Wolfson dacs ?
    How to identify the sought after Gen 5.5?

I'm completely new to this. Can someone explain how you convert to SSD and install a different OS ?

By the way I'm still using this when I go jogging !
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  21. Timos

Timos Forum resident

iTunes is awesome.

The only complaint I have is not being able to access “hidden” tracks that begin before track 1 of a CD. And not being able to fade on tracks imported to your iPod or iPhone.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  22. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

How much?

23. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm not familiar with your ipod model, but check youtube for available video tutorials. If it can be done, you'll find a how to video.

24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I've got an iPod nano that just gave up the ghost and stopped working. It won't even take a charge when I plug it in. Is it worth trying to replace the battery on that? I suppose it is too small to upgrade the hd. Any suggestions?

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Couldn't hurt to get a quote.

JeffMo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.