Iron Butterfly - Unconscious Power, 7-CD set from Esoteric out 11/27/20

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Geof, Sep 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have not yet received my box set, despite pre-ordering it in Sept. when it first went on sale as a pre-order. With the virus and holidays, the mail is way backed up and I understand so. I can wait. No big deal.
    However, I'm kind of surprised of what's been said about "I Can't Help But Deceive You Little Girl" in it's original mono single mix in missing the first note of the songs intro. I was and am really excited about this box set but like others have said here and elsewhere, the glitch for the missing first note of the single is kind of hard to let it go and say, oh well, **** happens. I'll see for sure when I get my copy but most likely it will have the same defect in mastering. I was also a little disappointed that "Evil Temptation" and the two other non Atco early singles are not present in this box. I have my share of Cherry Red/Esoteric CD reissues and have been mostly pleased with the end result. I know things can go wrong sometimes but if the label can make good of what happened then I can move on and be happy to get the product fixed in the correct way.

I would hope that if this glitch on "I Can't Help But Deceive You Little Girl" is bothering other fans like myself that possibly something could be done to fix the problem. IMO, when record labels do box sets or other CD reissues, they should send a promo advance copy either by download or CD-R so the contents can be listened to and previewed prior to it being pressed at the facility so that most if not all errors are found before it goes to final press. Long time fans and those who have followed the artist/band since their beginning would be a good idea to have these people screen reissues for mastering errors and other mistakes.

Especially since this single is available no where else on any other CD or compilation makes it hard to accept the final result without a complaint. I'm not singling out Cherry Red or any label for that matter. These problems and mistakes have been done at least one time on most labels out there. So, I am not angry with Cherry Red but I am the consumer and I should get what I have paid for since it is my money. This goes for all reissue labels out there.

If this error turns out to be a problem among long time fans like myself and others then could it be considered to make a correction to the song and have it available ideally on a corrected repressed CD disc from the box set or at least a digital download. I know money is involved in this but my money is involved too. To whom it may concern, I thank you. Anthony

smiley69 likes this.
  2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I'm kind of confused here. Amazon.co.uk has the track-listing for the MP3 album for the Esoteric
    7 CD "Unconscious Power" box set. "I Can't Help But Deceive You Little Girl" and "To Be Alone" are the stereo versions of these two songs according to the Amazon.co.uk MP3 album. I thought they were mono on this box set?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unconsciou...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1609217425&sr=8-1

Now it is possible that Amazon compiled some of the tracks for this box set from other IB releases and that's why the "Ball" era single "I Can't Help But Deceive You Little Girl" and "To Be Alone" plays as stereo on this Amazon.co.uk MP3 album instead of mono like what @Geof said his box set plays.

avp2029 likes this.
  3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

4. Geof

Geof Forum Resident Thread Starter

Right, and as you can hear, they are both mono, as they are on the set. I sat and listened to the 1991 Repertoire reissue of Heavy — which has both tracks although they are totally out-of-place being on Heavy, given they are post-Ball tracks with a different line-up — along with the 2001 Collectors' Choice and the 2015 Real Gone versions. All three of these contain the long version of "ICHBDYLG" and "To Be Alone," and all three are in stereo, so your comment that, "...this single is available no where else on any other CD or compilation makes it hard to accept the final result without a complaint," isn't accurate. Which is good! Because it means you can fairly easily get them on one of three releases, in stereo and with the full-length "ICHBDYLG."

I want to correct something in my previous post: The 'best of' collection that has the full length "ICHBDYLG" is called Light and Heavy: The Best of Iron Butterfly,' but it lacks the b-side, "To Be Alone."

It's funny, but sitting here A-B'ing the Repertoire and Collectors Choice versions, the Repertoire is actually better! Nice warmth and clarity; there's a buried on-beat tambourine hit you can still hear clearly on the Repertoire Heavy, but barely hear it at all on the Collectors' Choice version. But the CC and Real Gone at least provide fans a place to get them both as nature intended, full length, no missing intro note and in stereo. Yes, it would be nice if Esoteric would fix this, but I'm not gong to hold my breath. I did post about this on their Facebook page this morning. There are a number of "Esoteric" records on FB, but this is the correct one: Esoteric Recordings . The main page has their own posts with comments; if you click on More and then Community, you can see new posts submitted by members, but note they rarely if ever comment on or respond to them.

Platterpus likes this.
  5. Geof

Ha! Yeah, I just checked that out, and Amazon.co.uk does have 30-second samples that are in stereo even though the box set has them in mono. And on top of that, they list the time of "I Can't Help But Deceive You, Little Girl" as 3:30, which is the LONG version time, not the 3:05 edit included in the set.

I generally have praise for Esoteric because they've put things out no one else ever would have — their Renaissance and Be-Bop Deluxe sets are excellent — but there are a number of things about this set that are weird. First off, it doesn't say a WORD about the two pre-Heavy bonus tracks except that they were from 1967 and released on a 45 in Europe in 1970. And ... and ... couldn't ask Ron Bushy about them? Are they demos? Were the 45s bootlegs? And why wasn't "Evil Temptation" included, as that also was released on a 45 in France on the Stateside label. And in regards to the post Ball 45 of "I Can't Help But Deceive You, Little Girl," and "To Be Alone," it's not even mentioned. Presumably the final two tracks featuring Erik Brann, and there's no discussion as to why two non-LP studio cuts came out as a new 45? They were produced by some pretty heavy hitters at Atlantic: Arif Mardin and Tom Dowd on the a-side, Mardin on the b-side. Why weren't they re-recorded for their next studio album (with Brann gone and Mike Pinera and Larry Reinhardt now in on guitars) Metamorphosis? Again ... they couldn't ask Ron Bushy, who participated in this and is quoted throughout?

Also a bit odd: the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida disc has two bonus tracks, the 45 edit of the title track, which is cool and makes sense, but then the b-side is a mono edit of "Iron Butterfly Theme," which is included next-to-last, before the title track single edit closes the CD. I realize this edit of "Iron Butterfly Theme" was indeed the b-side of the single, but it really serves no purpose including it here within the album, given it's rather an out-of-place track with the previous album's different line-up.

Ball
    has what it says is the "single version" of "In the Time of Our Lives," which is the same length and take as the album version, and also "The In Crowds," which is specifically listed as "(mono single version)," odd, given that both tracks are mono. I assume fold overs, but why not include instead, the potentially more interesting 3:15 edited single version of "In the Time Of Our Lives," rather than the one that's the same length as the album? [Iron Butterfly - In The Time Our Our Lives (Long Version) / In The Time Of Our Live (Short Version) ]. As best as I can tell, this 3:15 edit has never appeared on any CD, be it an IB compilation or a various artists collection, soundtrack etc.; gosh, if only there was a box set, which could include rare 45s and ... oh, wait. Never mind. In the discussion about Ball, it does mention the "sparkly lead single, 'Soul Experience'," and ... for whatever reason, that one's not included either. Go figure.

Mike Pinera is also thanked and quoted, but very conspicuous by his absence: Doug Ingle, who wrote or co-wrote most of the material in this set, in addition to doing most of the vocals, isn't quoted a single word nor thanked in the thank-yous. Don't know if he was against this set, or just didn't want to be bothered. It would've also been nice to have heard some thoughts from Heavy guitarist Danny Weis, who pretty much came up with the distinct growls and screams of the Butterfly guitar sound, which Brann basically copied (and I believe Weis has made reference to them finding a clone so their sound wouldn't change noticeably. Not to take everything away from Brann, but listen to Weis on "Iron Butterfly Theme" and then Brann on "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" or "In the Time of Our Lives"). The booklet just says Weis, "...resides in Canada."

Also really weird: the liner notes, presumably written by Esoteric head Mark Powell, say that August 1970's Metamorphosis is CD Four in the box and on the next page says April 1970's Live is CD Five. Those are both reversed; Live is CD Four, Metamorphosis is CD Five. They are listed correctly on the box cover and in the early booklet pages with each album's credits. BTW, no writer credits for the early "Don't Look Down On Me" track and no horns credits for the non-album Mike Pinera-penned 45 "Silly Sally." It also says Pinera went on to "...join forces with the short-lived power trio Ramatam." Um, the first Ramatam line-up with Pinera was five members (including Mitch Mitchell), not a "power trio." The second Ramatam album did feature a three-member line-up, but ... Pinera wasn't even one of the members on that release! Jeesh. Can I get a job proof-reading for Esoteric? Can anyone?

Overall, an 8 out of 10, especially for the first-time-on-CD mono mixes of Heavy and Live. But given the missing intro note, they really should fix and re-press the Ball CD and while they're at it, include the longer version of the a-side and both tracks in stereo. BTW, I sent an e-mail to Esoteric and it came back as "Undeliverable, mailbox full."

ARK, avp2029, Bob J and 5 others like this.
  6. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Yikes!

ARK likes this.
  7. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

This is disappointing to hear. I was hoping it would be a one stop shop for all the IB releases, but it sounds like I will be keeping most my previous releases.

Definitely excited for the mono albums though still.

How is the mastering of Metamorphosis compared to the previously released versions? My current favorite for that is the BGO release by a hair over the Rhino remaster.

Dok and Platterpus like this.
  8. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

I've tried to reach Cherry red via Messenger, I'll let you know if I ever get a reply...

ARK and Platterpus like this.
  9. Geof

If you look at their main website, Cherry Red is basically an umbrella company for a ton of boutique labels like Esoteric, although there are actually releases on Cherry Red. When I have written to them about issues, I have never had the courtesy of a reply.

10. Geof

I think it's overall a very good set, with my biggest issues being the bonus tracks. All five pre-Heavy tracks, "Don't Look Down On Me," "Possession (early version)," "Evil Temptation," "Love," and "Gentle As It May Seem (instrumental version)" should have been included, not just the first two. The In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida disc 2 did not need the "Iron Butterfly Theme (edit)" just because it was the b-side of the 45 version of the title song. Different line-up, different album. Should have been included on Heavy, so that the entire flow of the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida experience was complete, start to finish, on disc 2. Ending the CD with the single of "IAGDV" is perfect; having "Theme" stuck in there next-to last feels really out of place, at least to me. And having the full-length 4:50 fold-down mono single version of "In the Time Of Our Lives" on Ball when there is a 3:15 US promo single edit, unavailable on any CD, would have really been preferred. Lastly, why discuss the "sparkling" first single off of Ball, "Soul Experience," and then not include it, but instead, include the b-side, "The In Crowds?"

As for the sound of Metamorphosis, I only have the 1993 Rhino version. Having been remastered by Bill Inglot and Ken Perry, you know it's going to sound pretty darn good! Having compared that with the box set version, I don't really hear any significant difference. I haven't heard the BGO version, so I can't weigh in there.

What I can weigh in on is the really informative three pages of liner notes by Barry Alfonso, including a number of quotes from Doug Ingle who — for unstated reasons — did not participate in the new release and isn't even thanked. There is a lot of discussion as to who really wrote which songs. The original cover says, "All selections written by Iron Butterfly," but going through it track-by-track, it pretty much says who the true composers were. It also discusses that "Slower That Guns," (Ingle/Edmonson, who also wrote the lyrics for three other songs) has only Ingle singing and playing guitar and producer Richard Polodor on guitar and sitar. Ingle says that Pinera, Rhino and Dorman refused to take part; Pinera says Ingle and Polodor recorded this themselves by choice. "Soldier In Our Town", another Ingle/Edmonson composition, has just Ingle on keyboards and guitar, Bushy on drums and engineer Bill Cooper on bass. There's nothing in the new box set booklet discussing these striped-down line-ups.

The most amusing thing in the 1993 Rhino version (which I'm keeping just for the liner notes and credits details) is about "Butterfly Bleu." I admit, I haven't listened to this song in literally decades, but did tonight. I am stunned many consider this to be a classic track, although to each his or her own. The first 6:40 is great, winding up with some killer harmony guitars from Pinera and Rhino, reminiscent of the Allmans or Wishbone Ash. And then ... it stops. Dead silence, and then Pinera starts making odd little noises on his guitar like he's tuning up, then briefly goes into an early Fleetwood Mac-ish boogie part which he abandons for more pure noise, and then starts using the dreaded guitar talking-box thing. This entire section goes on for over five minutes, until around 11:45 when the band wakes up and returns for one verse, a chorus and then a quiet minute-long organ part with some cymbals at the end. This would be a great 8:00 song, but that five minutes of Pinera-bation in the middle is — to me — unlistenable. When people compare it to "IAGDV," it's not the band playing! It's Pinera, who the Rhino notes also say is the song's "chief composer." But back to Ingle and the liners in the Rhino 1993 release: "The song marks the first appearance of the guitar box on record, a device that Ingle didn't care for ("I never understood that part in the song — it sounded like some guy was getting sick in the back room.")." Boy, does he nail that! :righton: Be it Pinera, Frampton, Walsh or anyone else, I hated that thing with a passion. To quote the famous phrase: "Shut up and play the guitar." Imagine if that same five minutes was Pinera and Rhino doing majestic guitar harmonies and trade-off solos with the band roaring behind them, like a long Allmans or Wishbone classic; now THAT would've been great.

ARK, E_Braunn_Fan and PineBark like this.
  11. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I made a custom edit of "Butterfly Bleu" that cuts out most of the midsection noise. Works well for me.

Sidewinder43, Mister Charlie and Geof like this.
  12. Geof

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Go right from the guitar harmonies part that ends around 6:40 and then jump to the band coming back in for the final verse and chorus about 11:50...

Mister Charlie likes this.
  13. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I received my box set yesterday (Saturday, January 02, 2021) and listened to the first 4 albums last night using good quality Walkman type headphones made by Phillips. When listening, I held them and pushed them close against my ears so I would hear no other noise in the room as to let the music only fill my ears.

The first thing I want to say is that I was a younger fan of this band starting out in the late 1980s so my listening was not done on original vinyl pressings like fans during the 60s and I have never heard any of the mono singles prior to hearing them in this box set. I only have vinyl pressings for the first 3 albums in used condition. I think I have "Metamorphosis" too but I can't find it.

The first thing I did was listen to the single, "I Can't Help But To Deceive You, Little Girl" since it was mentioned earlier that the first note was missing. It's not completely missing. It's there as in the tail end of that first note. I don't really consider it to be a big deal. But it may or may not bother others more than me. It's just a soft ending of a decayed organ note but it still sounds OK to me. I actually like the extended stereo version on the 1993 Rhino best of better than this mono single version which is shorter.

All the singles except for the non-LP "Don't Look Down On Me" sound really good. This single however has some harsh surface noise like that of a 45 rpm. It's not unlistenable but it does distract somewhat from enjoying it as much as the other singles and album tracks in this box.

The first album "Heavy" sounds good for the stereo mix for the most part but there are some buzzes and odd clicks/crackles on the first song "Possession." Some more small pops can be heard at the beginning of "So Lo." I'll have to listen to the whole album again to make a final assessment as to how much if any other tracks have these sound anomalies. The volume level is a little higher than other sources that I have heard this album on. It is not brick-walled, compressed or distorted from what I can tell. The only other CD sources I have for this album is the "Rare Flight" 1990 Pair records twofer CD with "Heavy" and "Ball" combined on one CD and the Repertoire CD of "Heavy" but I have not listened to the Repertoire CD more than once. If anything, this stereo version is clearer sounding and has more detail and no noise reduction that I can tell. The 1990 Pair records CD for "Heavy" sounds more flat and more muddy in sound. IIRC, there was a good amount of hiss on the the 1990 Pair records twofer CD. That is now gone from this box.

The Mono mix of "Heavy" sounds really good and it is slightly lower in volume than the stereo mix on this box. It sounds focused, not muddy or boxy sounding with nice sounding bass. It sounds good and is very clean. The stereo mix just sounds more open and detailed. The single mix of "Possession" is a unique mix that differs greatly from the album version right down to the very instruments played.

Next up, "IAGDDVD." This album is greatly improved on this box, IMO. It sounds clearer and fuller but it is a bit louder but not dull like the old Atco CD or grainy sounding. The bass sounds good too. The Rhino 1995 CD remaster is more digital and modern sounding than this and has somewhat of an artificial punch not present here. The two singles edits of "Iron Butterfly Theme" and "IAGDDVD" are in mono and sound really good.

"Ball" is where things get really good. Again, it is recorded at a higher volume compared to my older "Rare Flight" CD which contains this album which gives it a clearer sound and the muddiness is gone like the older CDs and not hissy like the older CDs. I detect no noise reduction so far so if any was used in this box set, it was little or none and maybe only used on the non-LP single "Don't Look Down On Me." The single tracks, "In The Time Of Our Lives" and "In The Crowds" are just mono mixes of the stereo versions. The single "To Be Alone" and "I Can't Help But To Deceive You, Little Girl" are the rare mono mixes. All other CDs have the stereo mixes for these two tracks. Same with "I Can't Help But To Deceive You, Little Girl", mono short single mix in this box and extended stereo mix on 1993 Rhino best of and a couple other CDs.

The "Live" album sounds good and clear. The bass on the stereo mix is meaty sounding and the sound of this album is very clear but a tad loud at times. I'll have to check my old Atco CD to see how the bass sounds on that. The mono mix is good sounding but the bass is less prominent and overall is a little less loud compared to the stereo mix. The musical contents are the same between both mixes.

All in all and for the most part I am happy with this box set but the sound anomalies on the stereo "Heavy" are kind of irritating. But due to the age of the tapes used it may have been inevitable. Same with "Don't Look Down On Me", I don't know if this single was cut this way but the surface noise/distortion is bothersome. "I Can't Help But To Deceive You, Little Girl" with the slight trim at the beginning first note is still very good otherwise but like I said earlier I like the extended stereo mix better.

I will review "Metamorphosis" some other time. I have the Repertoire CD only.

My box arrived in great shape with no damage to the outer box and the CDs are all in near mint shape with only a couple of them containing a small blemish on the surface. The box is very sturdy. The albums inside are packed in mini type LP sleeves and "Ball" and "Metamorphosis" are gate-folds. Same goes for the "Live At The Fillmore East." There is an illustration in the gate-fold of this album taken from a photo of the Mothers Of Invention which I thought was kind of cool and odd at the same time. It's because they were on the same bill with Iron Butterfly. A small poster is also included.

The mini LP sleeves are beautiful looking and are of high quality, graphics wise with beautiful color. I have not read the book, but it is plentiful with many photos, handbills and posters along with an essay. The small errors as in sound anomalies is not a huge deal since most fans probably have all the CDs, LPs and singles here so you have something to fall back on if the sound anomalies bother you.

Besides the small amount of clicks/pops on the "Heavy" album and the surface noise on the one single, this box set is great to get nice sounding sonic versions of these albums all in one place plus some rare singles and a live archive album from The Fillmore East.

It was mentioned by others here including myself that the omission of the rare foreign independent singles was kind of a bummer. They would have been a great addition to this box set but some of this material has already been reissued by Cleopatra records so maybe that is why.

Thanks to Esoteric records who did a good job on this box set. Minor errors do happen but for the most part this box is really good and well worth the price.

pscreed, Headfone, ARK and 7 others like this.
  14. DougB217

DougB217 Forum Resident

I’ve known this song for so long that I’m used to the talk box section, but my wife listened to it for the first time the other day and really liked it. I was surprised, to be honest.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  15. DougB217

DougB217 Forum Resident

I’m a bit let down at the sound quality of IAGDV, to be honest. Yes, it’s better than my old vinyl but I was hoping for better. The bass drum sounds like a cardboard box. Bass guitar is fuller and the overall mix is far less harsh, to be sure. Has anyone ever done a remix?

16. E_Braunn_Fan

The MOFI IAGDV is the best version that I have heard, but I am excited to compare all of these new versions to my current favorites. I am most excited to hear the MONO Heavy and Live albums for the first time.

My box is scheduled for a Sunday delivery and I couldn't be more excited.

I know that Steve mentioned in one of the old IB threads that he would have loved to work on the first 3 albums.

Best CD versions of Iron Butterfly IGDV

Just found the post. He actually said he would love to remix them.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Dok likes this.
  17. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

18. Geof

Ha! The first massively-long review by "tonsorock" is mine, and I pretty much reviewed it here!

WarEagleRK, ARK, Platterpus and 3 others like this.
  19. E_Braunn_Fan

LOL. I noticed that as well. It’s great that you put it on there because it is a nice thorough review.

ARK and Geof like this.
  20. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I could tell by the identical writing between what you wrote here and on Amazon. I just wanted to respect your privacy. Good review BTW.

ARK and Geof like this.
  21. Geof

Thanks! I started freelancing in the DC area in weekly free press-type publications in 1975, and then some things for Trouser Press, followed by a lot for Goldmine, starting with a major article/in-person interview with Blue Cheer (1984), Annie Haslam of Renaissance (2004), Justin Hayward (around 1996 after I moved to California, around the time of his View From the Hill album) and others, including sadly writing Kevin Gilbert's obit, one of my idols, and then also a ton of CD reviews of prog, fusion, hard rock and power-pop releases from the mid-90s through the early 2000s when I had to change focus to taking care of my aging dad. Sorry to briefly swerve off-topic!

22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I’m playing the first disc now and it sounds great :cheers:

eelkiller likes this.
  23. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Does your stereo "Heavy" have the clicks and pops at the beginning of Possession and So Lo?

24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Not that I noticed

25. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

You may have to listen to it with headphones to hear it. It's there, plain and clear for me to hear. Unless your CD is a corrected repress. This is probably my biggest disappointment as far as the box. The other minor things I can let go of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.