Iron Butterfly - Unconscious Power, 7-CD set from Esoteric out 11/27/20

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Geof, Sep 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

If you're ripping the CDs to files, you could use click removal software to remove the errant noise.

2. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Has anyone compared the sound of this box to the 1989-1990 USA Atco cd's?

It's odd as they have the same owner, but I've found that Cherry Red almost always has dreadful SQ, which Esoteric is decent quality close to 3/4 of the time.

I have older cd versions of the complete catalog of of the (almost) original version of the band with Brann; I'd only want this if it's a sonic upgrade.

3. moomoomoomoo

Almost certainly. Wounded Bird has reissued a TON of the supposedly limited Rhino Handmades. All that I have heard are straight reissues, not remasters.

4. DougB217

DougB217 Forum Resident

The Fillmore CDs really impress me. The band is top notch and the recordings are excellent, which was not what I was expecting.

HanowarHAIL and E_Braunn_Fan like this.
  5. moomoomoomoo

2nd request: can anyone compare the sound quality of the USA Atco cd's of Ball & Live & the US Rhino cd of Heavy to this box?

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Loving this set. Great job by Esoteric and a big "thumbs up"to the OP for the review.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  7. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

How does the sound compare to the 2009 Japan SHM-CDs? I have those, not sure I can justify buying the new box.

8. moomoomoomoo

I just compared the Atco vs Esoteric "Live" (my fav IB) . Each has some benefits, but I prefer the Atco.

Atco is not as loud , and has better bass than the Esoteric.

Esoteric is a bit loud; audibly clips in the high end & has more real sounding vocals.

My go to In A Gadda Da ViDA is the MFSL SACD, so comparison isn't real useful there.

My Ball & Heavy is an obscure import 2 albums on 1 cd, so again no point in a comparison. This set has 2 of the same bonus trax as the box.

Other Then Metamorphosis (which I didn't have) The box has 2 bonus tracks I didn't have & quite a few mono & single mixes I didn't have for those into mono.

DR comparisons:

Live
    Atco DR13
    Esoteric DR10

In A Gadda-Da- Vida
    Atco DR11
    MFSL CD Layer DR 10
    Esoteric DR10

Fillmore
    Rhino Handmade
    CD1 DR8
    CD2 DR9
    Esoteric
    D1 DR8
    D2 DR8

Metamorphosis
    Esoteric DR10

Heavy
    Esoteric DR12

Ball
    Esoteric DR11

Ball/Heavy Import
    No Label DR12

The Esoteric is probably good enough to pick up if you have little Butterfly especially due to the bonus tracks;
    I am catalog other than Metamorphosis & again only 2 of the bonus tracks are new to me.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  9. GMDuss

GMDuss I Get A Custom One?

I briefly compared the Rhino / ATCO Metamorphosis with the boxed set.
    The the boxed set version is definitely mastered with less limiting, so it's a bit more dynamic. However, I actually prefer the Rhino / ATCO eq curve. I have no idea specifically what processing was used in either, but the boxed set has a good bit more action in the 1000 - 4000 kHz area. In my studio on a set of Focals, for the hell of it I put a linear-phase eq on the boxed set tracks and dipped around 3.5dB bell curve at 2000 with a Q of 0.5. It came surprisingly close to the Rhino when I volume matched them. The Rhino also had more bottom, but I didn't futz around with that.

Haven't checked the others, and my preference may be just because I've had the Rhino forever.

Crimson Witch and Dok like this.
  10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It is on streaming (here Spotify): Unconscious Power: An Anthology 1967-1971

I was thinkng people can check out the mastering if they're on the fence. I haven't recieved my set I ordered before New Year (damn brexit, I'll end up having to pay tax on it), so I'll have to settle for that.

11. moomoomoomoo

12. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

13. GMDuss

Following up:

For In A Gadda Da Vida, I compared the Rhino (with the holographic case) with the new boxed set. They are the same digital transfer. Once I lined up the start of the songs, the two stay in perfect sync throughout. When the polarity is flipped all that is left is some extreme hi-end, I think from the Rhino having a boost.

For Ball I compared with the ATCO and the Collectors Choice. Different transfer, and here's the thing: The boxed set mastering has quite a bit more limiting and is considerably louder / less dynamic. Having listened, I'm sticking with the ATCO, which is a touch better (IMO) than the Collectors Choice, and much better than the box.

EDIT:
    Heavy is a different transfer from the Rhino, and here again the Rhino is more dynamic and less limited, but there is more of a high frequency boost on the Rhino. YMMV.
    Interestingly, there is some audible "wow" on the song Possession (you can hear it during the line "and he doesn't really love her-r-r-r") as there is some channel drift. It's more pronounced on the boxed set. I never really noticed it until I started comparing them.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Shawn likes this.
  14. moomoomoomoo

Your experience with Ball sounds like my experience with Live. Cherry Red (sigh)...... They botched the Bow Wow Wow box so badly, & it could have been so cool.

15. eelkiller

Thanks for your detailed thoughts on the albums. Nice to get input on the sound from someone who has listened to multiple versions. I own the Handmade set, In A Gadda Mofi(s) and Ball so the Esoteric helped fill in what I was missing.

16. GMDuss

I'm happy to have the set, mainly for the mono mixes of the Ball singles, I Cannot Help..., To Be Alone, and to have a CD source for the mono Heavy. anyway, the price was right. Still keeping my eyes open for a Mofi Gadda that isn't insanely expensive. Keeping my Rhinos.

17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The box set is only worth it for the mono mixes and bonus tracks. There are better digital masterings of the stereo mixes on the main albums IMO.

Plan9 and moomoomoomoo like this.
  18. eelkiller

SACD or Gold version? I guess the SACD is long gone now?

19. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The SACD is the one to get. I found the MFSL Gold to sound too bright and forward sounding.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  20. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

the Cherry Red website is now listing the box set as out of stock

three months and gone !

there are probably dealers and distributors with copies still available, but the label's supply is depleted

21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

not uncommon for tracked taped live shows to get a separate mono mix in those days. it would just be a matter of getting a mix to sound as good as possible working around limitations

bRETT likes this.
  22. moomoomoomoo

The classic version of the band (Brann, Bushy, Dorman & Ingle) are so underrated.

Myke likes this.
  23. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Most stores in the US have it as sold out status or back-ordered for weeks.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

Finally got around to getting this (from popmarket if people are having trouble finding it).

I had most on vinyl but only in a gadda da Vida and fillmore on cd so this was a nice set for me.

I too am frustrated by the missing early single tracks.

a few that have not been as mentioned here that were onthe 2014 Rhino in a gadda da Vida are soul experience 7” and in a gadda da Vida French b side live edit.

would love a follow up set with the final albums and maybe a sampling of live stuff through the years maybe not essential but they kinda fascinate me the continuously flowing lineup etc.

25. moomoomoomoo

I mostly like Mark 2: originals + Erik Brann.

E_Braunn_Fan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.