Iron Maiden: Greatest Second Act of All Time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Meyer, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Totally agree with Maiden.

A controversial one would be Alice In Chains.

Roberto899, ifihadafish and keyXVII like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

well now i can't think straight ... all i'm thinking is i've never seen stevie doing the splits in a bathing suit?

3. mark winstanley

i loved the iron maiden/dickinson reunion and personally think the post 2000 albums are every bit as good as the eighties albums ..... but i'm still thinking about stevie (and not harris) :drool:

MikeInFla and coffeetime like this.
  4. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

I actually prefer Sabbath with Dio and Ozzy solo. just me..

hellion likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

i don't understand why everyone is so down on him, he's good fun, he plays fine. the band can use three guitars to good effect ...

Purple likes this.
  6. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I actually prefer modern Maiden to classic Maiden, so yes...

Meyer, Purple and mark winstanley like this.
  7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

It's probably more his stage antics than his playing. He's a good writer and player, but people do tend to frown upon messing with the older recorded solos.

Having him allows Adrian to play some cool harmony parts.

coffeetime likes this.
  8. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Actually, the Nicks-Buckingham era is probably more FM's third or fourth act...

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Meyer, Purple and Cheevyjames like this.
  10. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Killing Joke. Their last 3 studio albums since the original lineup reunited are arguably their best stuff.

BDC and moops like this.
  11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Following the OPs definition of "same" members, Mac would only qualify like Rumours-era and then the last years with Christine's return. Iron Maiden has released large amounts of well received new music (was it AMOLAD that went Top Ten? Or Book?) which Fleetwood Mac pretty much has not. I'd suspect Maiden's setlists contain a lot more variance than FMs though I am not expert about what the Mac plays these days. Don't get me wrong, I love both bands, but Maiden is definitely not AS past-looking. Besides, their singer flies them around in their own plane! Which has nothing to do with the thread, but I'm not aware Mick or Stevie are taking flying lessons :laugh:

12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

The first might have been a significant consideration, since there had been a lot of Bruce-Steve tension apparently. That can be eased by having friends around. As for Jannick's prancing...eh, I just take it as one more crazy thing going on up there. It's all good, really, over 13 tours if I'm counting right.

13. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Absolutely the best second act ever (caveat of all members from the classic era withstanding). How many bands play pretty much classic era material live with one or two ‘from the new album’ early on whilst everyone troops off to the bar?

Not Maiden. They’re newer material is good enough to warrant standing on its own, no apologies needed and the band know it. As such they’ve had no problem doing tours based overwhelmingly around the newer material and they’ve been great gigs, well attended if not sold out. In Maiden’s case, if the crowd are singing along, its made the cut. Blood Brothers? Dance of Death? Crowd favourites from the off.

Unlike a certain other band, Maiden have conceded little to nothing to the years live. The precision is still there, and keeping Janick has allowed the band to keep their trademark lead guitar harmonies AND rhythm guitar to the betterment of the music itself. If Janick’s presence in the band keeps tensions at bay (and tensions HAVE been kept at bay), he’s contributed to songwriting, plays his part and allows others to play theirs on stage, then he is ABSOLUTELY deserving of his place in the band.

This thread is the first I’ve heard of Adrian stipulating that Janick should be kept on when he returned to the fold with Bruce. Adrian, surprisingly, was almost the band spokesman during the Flight 666 documentary and came across as a class act then.

Maiden 2.0 is what can happen when everyone involved checks their egos at the door, followed their own musical instincts, is allowed space to do their own thing and has a master tactician (Rod) behind the scenes - who’s idea was it to interleave/alternate new material tours with classic/historical tours? It’s been inspired! of course its not all been skittles and beer; the fallout with Derek Riggs over cover art antics has been unfortunate but otherwise 2000 onwards has been an absolute pleasure and for me, the musical equal of (whilst different to) their classic era.

PyroMessiah, The MEZ, Purple and 4 others like this.
  14. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Worst second act of all time! They went from one of the most exciting metal band of the 80's to the most boring, predictable bands out there. The "new" Maiden records sound like they are written and performed by robots not humans. History of mankind doesn't know any fall from grace greater than Maiden.

15. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

One thing that strikes me about Iron Maiden too is how consistent their live show is. There really isn't that much different between the energy they put in to their show in 1985 and their show I saw in 2010. Sure it was different, but I still felt like they loved the songs and actually wanted to be on the stage playing as if they had just written those songs

Steven Wilson? Immensely popular and respected with Porcupine Tree, goes solo and releases Hand Cannot Erase, one of his best and most popular albums. Also we all know he will put out another fantastic album in the future.

The MEZ and Purple like this.
  16. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

He already has ;)

17. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

It can't be denied that what IM achieved since the return of the Dickinson/Smith pair is quite spectacular considering where the band was coming from after the Bayley disaster. Now i find it fascinating that the band has been able to recapture past glory (if not getting even bigger than before ) with a succession of truly mediocre and boring albums. The Final Frontier is virtually unlistenable, BOS is a painful demonstration of where self indulgence can bring you in term of sterility.

The MEZ, Eric242, ifihadafish and 3 others like this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I want to like the post Bruce & Adrian coming back Maiden albums and have listened to them all and bought some of them. Sadly all have bored me as they are so long and a lot of the songwriting is weak. Too much singing the title over and over again for a chorus is something I remember as well as far too many long tracks that are nothing special. I enjoyed Dance of Death most and the only time I've seen Maiden was on that tour.

I love seeing Iron Maiden still being successful and getting number one albums as well as playing massive shows.

ifihadafish likes this.
  19. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Motorhead

20. mark winstanley

well put, i love the new stuff. it's older and more mature ... like me ... well older at least

coffeetime likes this.
  21. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I've always wondered, what exactly happened with Riggs? His art for the covers was better than anything they have done in a long time.

ifihadafish likes this.
  22. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

I guess in the end we pretty much cherish more the idea of Iron Maiden being around than the music he the band releases today. I can't hardly listen to the post reunion material BUT i give Maiden full credit for not trying to replicate the eighties in any ways musically.

23. mark winstanley

I love the post reunion stuff ... oh well, different strokes ...

PyroMessiah, Purple, Meyer and 2 others like this.
  24. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

What defines a "second act"?

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  25. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

I listen to all their albums, but I have to be in a certain mood to listen to the post reunion material. Everything up to 'Fear' I can throw on anytime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.