Iron Maiden - Legacy Of The Beast 2018/2019 tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neonbeam, Nov 13, 2017.

1. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Forum Resident

I'd phrase it a little different, but I understand the feeling. 80% of the setlist is mid- to slow-tempo, don't like the pacing at all...
    Iron Maiden Setlist at PGE Narodowy, Warsaw

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm glad they're still releasing (and playing) new stuff, but when you're 40 years in and dropping new songs into the set, they'd better have some energy, and when you're rejigging the setlist to make room for them, you don't drop some classic-era songs but keep two overlong Blaze-era tracks.

3. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Exactly. That’s the most head scratching thing. I like the fact that they’ve done some Blaze stuff post reunion, but don’t play two plodding ten minute Blaze era “epics” in the same show. Bring back Futureal or Lord of the Flies or Man on the Edge. Bruce has done all of those live and they sounded good.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

I like Sign of the Cross and The Clansman. The latter usually gets an enthusiastic response from the audience. But I agree that there are too many long and slow/mid-tempo songs on the current leg of the tour.
    Maiden has a vast catalogue and it really shouldn't be a problem to choose some energetic tracks that don't make Bruce strain his voice too much.

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

agreed

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  6. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Father Time is undefeated….

i think aces high was challenging 10 years ago, they should definitely cut that one. But I feel like they could make run to the hills work with the audience taking the chorus

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. mikedifr0923

For the record, YouTube doesn’t always represent how it sounded at the show. I can’t tell you how many times I have been at a show where I found it to be awesome and you tube video of it afterward was meh.

Not saying you are wrong by any means. I feel like his voice started aging a month or two in to the Legacy of the Beast tour a couple years ago. That said, other than a few songs I still thought he sounded awesome when I saw them.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    supernaut likes this.
  8. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

They are 100% only doing Aces High because they have that plane gimmick.

They could easily swap it out for Where Eagles Dare or Tailgunner. Probably some other songs about planes too I can’t remember.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

"tailgunner" seems easier to sing too

10. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

I liked Aces High four years ago. Sure, it didn't sound as good as on Live After Death, but still good enough to my ears.
    I agree that an amateur YT video doesn't tell the whole truth. I wouldn't base a very firm opinion on it. However, it gives a hint of what the show looked/sounded like.

As for Bruce's voice, I didn't notice anything wrong in 2018. Loved the two shows I saw. Nights of the Dead was a shock, but I thought that the fatigue from touring played its part in Dickinson's awful performance. But when I heard Senjutsu it became clear that his voice had aged significantly since The Book of Souls. Bruce still sounds great using his mid-range, but lower and higher notes cause him a lot of trouble. He still has the power, but doesn't have the scale he once had.

11. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

Right, but I believe the audience loves Aces High much more than Tailgunner. WED is an amazing song, but also not an easy one to sing for Bruce. It sounds terrible on Nights of the Dead.

supernaut and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Tailgunner deserves more love from the band. I would love to see that one come back.

13. Matthew Tate

there are a dozen ignored songs by the band that were singles that its been about 10 years or more since they were played
    1 tailgunner
    2 holy smoke
    3 bring your daughter to the slaughter
    4 be quick or be dead
    5 from here to eternity
    6 stranger in a strange land
    7 can i play with madness
    8 infinite dreams
    9 the clairvoyant
    10 running free
    11 afraid to shoot strangers
    12 wasting love

thats not even counting album tracks that are pretty popular among the fans of singles from 1994-present that are never played

14. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Infinite Dreams is my favourite Maiden song and was only played on one tour. Stranger is one of their best songs too and was only played on the SIT tour, and a couple of nights on the 99 reunion. The one song they should drop is “Iron Maiden” I’ve never met anyone that enjoys it.

15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Infinite Dreams is also my absolute favorite song, too bad that it was only played live on Seventh Son Tour in 1988 and never found its way back into the later setlist.
    Maiden even rehearsed it for the Maiden England World Tour 2012-2014 but for some unknown reason it wasn't picked to the final setlist.
    That would have been essential part to the setlist and the song I was most waiting and looking forward to hearing live. Sad things as I would still live to hear it live someday.
    By the way, my wife loves Iron Maiden and her favorite is..guess what? Iron Maiden

16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Kinda funny thinking that there's atleast one song in the whole Maiden-catalogue that has been played live on each tour after it's release but was totally absent on one tour.

Guess or remember what song is that?

Fear Of The Dark.
    The only time and tour that it hasn't been as setlist staple was in 2005 when Maiden tour for the Eddie Rips Up World Tour and FOTD couldn't be placed in the setlist as the songs were picked from the first 4 albums only.

17. Matthew Tate

is that the only song? i'd think "number of the beast" has been played every tour since its release unless blaze didn't do it?

supernaut likes this.
  18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

They played NOTB with Blaze..

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Matthew Tate

so then that one has been played EVERY tour since it was released right? is there a tour since 1982 it wasn't played?

20. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Hey, good that you mentioned I should have checked my records for NOTB earlier..another interesting thing:
    Around the AMOLAD-tour, NOTB was totally skipped on the first leg 2006 but it found it's way back into the setlist for the second leg in 2007.
    I didn't remember this one, even though I saw them in 2006. So, NOTB has been played on every tour except 2006 leg of AMOLAD.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    Gus Tomato and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. mikedifr0923

I wouldn’t expect him to keep that scale. It lasted much longer than most do. Even Dio, who didn’t have the extreme range of Dickinson lost range around the same age but still had the power and midrange to make it work.

And 2018 was good. It was somewhere in 2019 he started to sound just tired overall…But of course 60-70% Bruce is still better than most peoples 100% in my opinion.

I really don’t want to see a half ass Maiden out there so if they are going to continue they really need to get creative with the setlists and/or drop the key a bit for him. It would preserve him for another few years if they did that. If that means more reunion era songs so be it, just stop doing the same ones over and over again. Obviously they will need to keep FOTD, NOTB, Trooper and IM in the set.

Rockhead, Matthew Tate and Ingres3225 like this.
  22. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I was eagerly awaiting Infinite Dreams when I saw them in 2012, considering I figured that song would've made it into the setlist if they were mirroring the 1988 tour. So, it's omission was a bit disappointing, but I still loved the show. My favourite IM song is Moonchild, so seeing them open with that was all I needed.

23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Me too, I still loved the show and Maiden has always delivered..but considering how much of highlight from the original 1988 tour ID was, so I almost got the feeling that it would automatically be featured on the history tours.
    Now thinking that they might have few tours atleast left, I think we might have prepare for some kind of surprising moment or two..as thinking Flight Of Icarus was anyways resurrected from 1986 to LOTB-setlist.

Ristifer and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. mikedifr0923

Couldn’t agree more.

And I feel like Infinite Dreams is one he should be able to handle these days for the most part

25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

It would have worked well with 3 guitars and Im also pretty sure Bruce could still handle it.