Iron Maiden new album, "Senjutsu" - release date September 3, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Jun 29, 2021.

1. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Outside of book of souls (and Senjutsu) I didn’t have any of the reunion era on vinyl. I just got them all over the past two months or so. Can’t wait to play them all, haven’t had a chance yet

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    WithinYourReach, Gus Tomato and JCRW like this.
  2. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I think you will be in for a treat. Whenever you get the chance to listen to them let us know your thoughts, I may pick a few of them up myself.

3. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Yes, I had a first listen on phones the other night (Sennheiser HD600's) and the clipping was almost unbearable in places. I could hear it on speakers but nowhere near as intrusive. Parts of my favourite song The Parchment are ruined on phones, especially as most of the solos are clipping.

I wonder whether it was overdriven during recording or mixing? I doubt it was during mastering, unless it got clipped and then volume reduced back down afterwards.

4. Western Movie

Western Movie Well-Known Member

My absolute favorite of the reunuion albums is definitely BNW, simply stunning.

5. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

On Senjutsu, you can't tell that there are 3 guitarists. Fire Janick & spread the money around 5 guys instead of 6.

AngusStanley likes this.
  6. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I’ve stopped listened to it now as I just can’t get into it. Makes me wonder, why did they guys can this for over two years?

AngusStanley likes this.
  7. sillycornelius

sillycornelius Forum Resident

Because their touring plans were delayed due to covid.

8. sillycornelius

sillycornelius Forum Resident

He's one of their best songwriters and has been in the band for over 30 years. And they're not worried about their financial security at this point in their career.

9. obi

obi Forum Resident

If you can’t hear 3 guitarist then you’re not listening. Furthermore, Janick is, IMO, man of the match on Senjutsu when it comes to solos. I’m usually an Adrian fan but Janick has upped his game for the new album and I think he, overall, plays the best solos on the album.

10. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

After listening to this album for a couple weeks now, all I can say is just blown away how they topped The Book of Souls IMO. Death of the Celts with the heavy 6/8 verses, the epic galloping riffs in The Time Machine, the throttling Days of Future Past, the catchy The Writing On the Wall, and the very strong closer Hell On Earth.

This is a very strong, classic Maiden album that stands with the classic heavyweights such as Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Powerslave, or Somewhere In Time, and it's predecessor The Book of Souls. One of the best metal releases and strongest overall of this year of great albums.

miguelfcp, Fonz, Purple and 7 others like this.
  11. Maturin

Maturin Well-Known Member

Nonsense. Easy to tell their work as they sit distinctly in their own part of the stereo field. Solos tend to be centred - but everything else is Dave left, Adrian centre, Janick right.

Each has their own solo style. Janick has been in the band 30 years now, has written many more songs than Dave, and really kept them afloat when Harris was in the doldrums.

12. samantas5855

samantas5855 Forum Resident

I feel like Jannick is always playing the same ****. The album in which he truly shinned was The X Factor but FOTD also had good moments

Anthrax likes this.
  13. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Hence the problem with the mix and Shirley not really understanding what he should be doing to make the instruments have some air about them. Getting rid of Janick makes no sense, they are now a 3-headed monster..........They fly around the world in a modded customized 777 jumbo Ed Force One, being short of money is not an issue....

ian christopher and Kim Olesen like this.
  14. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

So one of the only few 80's Metal bands still alive touring and releasing albums get a kicking because they have 3 guitarists. Or a preferred producer. Great album anyway.

ian christopher likes this.
  15. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I would rate the reunion albums thus:

Brave New World
    The Final Frontier
    A Matter Of Life And Death
    Senjutsu
    The Book Of Souls
    Dance Of Death

Western Movie likes this.
  16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Repeating myself here. So very interesting (and good that it is so) to see how different we all percieve music (or indeed art).

Yufri and Western Movie like this.
  17. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

The Final Frontier would be the greatest reunion album if El Dorado and Mother of Mercy were excised onto a Single release and the remainder of the album remained intact.

Isle of Avalon, Starblind, The Man Who Would be King, and Wild Wind Blows are all 10/10 perfect Maiden songs, and The Talisman and The Alchemist are easy 9/10 tracks

its pretty much a perfect album starting with The Alchemist and running all the way through the last notes of WtWWB

The Booklover, Purple and cber1517 like this.
  18. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Mother of Mercy is a turd.

19. Kim Olesen

It’s the only TFF song i like :D

20. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

You've mentioned that before.
    What do you like about it ?
    Do you like Heaven can Wait as well ?

ian christopher likes this.
  21. Kim Olesen

Very good question. It is so hard to quantify what are the qualities one hear in a composition. I think it is the only song on the album where i really feel that the chorus lifts from over the rest of the song.

But it’s obvious from reading her, that something about TFF that hits many fans, pass me totally by. And that is ofcourse to do with me, not them.

Re HCW. It’s my least fave track on SIT BUT since i seriously think SIT is the best metal album ever created, it still ranks high for me.

Anthrax and ian christopher like this.
  22. ian christopher

SiT has become my favorite Maiden album also - just fantastic from start to finish (though I usually skip HCW, I still recognize it as a great song, just overshadowed by the 7 other tracks)

Purple, Western Movie and Kim Olesen like this.
  23. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I don't care for Frontier. And Time as the best metal album ever made ? Just Wow !

24. ian christopher

my top 5 list always gets ridiculed:

1: Somewhere in Time
    2: Killers
    3: Powerslave
    4: The X Factor (not a joke)
    5: The Final Frontier (Brave New World is sometimes takes the 5th spot and moves TFF to 6th place)

25. ian christopher

and sometimes TXF even replaces Powerslave at #3 - which usually results in pies and/or tomatoes being thrown in my general direction.

One unique factor? Each vocalist has produced a perfect album IMHO.

It could be gleaned that I'm a huge Smith/Murray fan (especially Davey), and I often rate IM albums according to how much AIR GUITAR ferocity I can wage when listening!

Queezma, Maturin and Western Movie like this.