Iron Maiden new album, "Senjutsu" - release date September 3, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Jun 29, 2021.

1. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades It's only my opinion

That speech is pretty embarrassing. Did he really waste 2 minutes of a concert on that nonsense. Frank Herbert is completely within his rights to request that (pretty awful) song doesn't have the same name as his book. As much as I love him , Dickinson can be a cock sometimes.

Maiden would, of course, have no issue with any other product being called Iron Maiden...
    Iron Maiden sue video game company for $2m over Ion Maiden game

(not quite the same thing, admittedly)

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I'm that guy that dislikes Revolver!!!! :p

bluearmy78, slipkid and Kim Olesen like this.
  3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

The world would be SO BORING if we all liked the same stuff.

Bring on the variation and different tastes says I :)

That is why i also said in the Blaze/Maiden thread: Don’t let any one (like me) take your enjoyment out of that era. You loved Blaze in Maiden? Good, keep loving it!

GarySteel, obi, Jeff Kent and 4 others like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

That's the only way it can be.

I scratch my head at a lot of stuff people like, and dislike, but reading reasons can be very interesting.

5. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Just listened to The Writing On The Wall.

I still like it.

ChoonyFish, Jeff Kent, jimhb and 5 others like this.
  6. warewolf95

Totally. And then you get people freaking out and flaming you because you have a differing opinion. Life's too short to do stupid crap like get mad on the internet, LOL!!

GarySteel, Jeff Kent, Markyp and 3 others like this.
  7. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Love To Tame A Land Love the lyrics and had no problem following the lyrics without Dune at the time.
    I spent some years reading lots of Scifi , Fantasy and playing D&D so it wasn't that big a deal.
    One of my favorite Maiden Tunes from My favorite Bruce Album.
    NO complaints from me.

Anthrax, Kim Olesen and warewolf95 like this.
  8. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

Good luck - it is only half of the first book, roughly. I can't wait though!!

Gavaxeman likes this.
  9. rubberhead

rubberhead I've never made a bad record

That's your problem, not mine. I think it blows and the reasons are well within the range of my comprehension. Also, I'm very comfortable with my fandom.

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. warewolf95

I wasn't attacking you bro, just stating my opinion. :cheers::wave:

CBackley, Gavaxeman and rubberhead like this.
  11. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

I'm not saying Fear of the Dark is awful - in fact, it felt promising back in '92 - but I didn't like it.

12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Terrible" is a bit harsh. Here's a quote from the Encyclopaedia of Science Fiction:

"Much of Herbert's work makes difficult reading. His ideas were genuinely developed concepts, not merely decorative notions, but they were sometimes embodied in excessively complicated plots and articulated in prose which did not always match the level of thinking [...] His best novels, however, were the work of a speculative intellect with few rivals in modern science fiction"

It bored the hell out of me as a teenager. Barely made it through the first book. Yet FH had written.... six? Guess it's one of those phenomenons were selected images have proven more influential than the actual thing. Sandworms!

rubberhead and Gavaxeman like this.
  13. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

I read some of those Dune books decades ago, and my memory has somewhat faded.
    Anyway, one of the books told a story of guerrilla hero who performed a successful revolution and then turned into a fascist dictator.
    So familiar!

Sorry for digressing so far away from the theme of this thread!

Neonbeam, Gavaxeman and Goldy like this.
  14. Ditto= The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner

Ron The Bear likes this.
  15. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Dream Theater covering To Tame A Land:

Scroller and warewolf95 like this.
  16. rubberhead

I think terrible is fair in terms of his actual writing. Again, it's a great space opera with, as you say, lasting images. But his sentences are pretty amateurish, which was pretty common in the golden age of SF and unsurprising considering most of the "grand masters" were not writers by training but came from other, often scientific backgrounds. As the Encyclopedia you quote says, his "prose...did not always match the level of thinking." Which is what I say more bluntly.

I, too, couldn't get through it as a kid but found it quite entertaining when I was in my 20s. The sequels were unreadable and I think at a certain point they were mostly written by others, I think maybe his son or some other hack and they just stuck Frank's name on them for credibility.

I often try re-reading the SF classics I loved as a kid and am appalled by how awful the writing is. The best most of them achieve is efficiency.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this new Iron Maiden album. I'm sure it will be exactly in line with my expectations.

warewolf95 and Neonbeam like this.
  17. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Out of interest, which authors would you cite as 'great writers?

18. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

I love this forum!

The discussion about the upcoming Iron Maiden album has turned into a discussion about Frank Herbert and sci-fi in general!:righton:

slipkid, Roberto899, CBackley and 4 others like this.
  19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I guess we can blame Steve for that as well! :biglaugh:

20. raye_penber

raye_penber .

The love for Brave New World is perplexing to me (though if you like it, that's all that really matters).
    To my ears, as a maiden fan since the late 80s, it's No Prayer Part II at best, and a step backwards for a band that desperately needed to go forwards at that point in time.

21. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

To me, BNW was a step forward from both Virtual XI and Fear of the Dark. It absolutely a MASSIVE step backwards from Chemical Wedding, though. A Bruce/Adrian album, but still.

Gavaxeman, RyanX and raye_penber like this.
  22. raye_penber

raye_penber .

I would agree with that.

Cheevyjames likes this.
  23. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

My favorite BNW comment is from a friend who said, "it was better than it needed to be.'

Western Movie likes this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

and Accident of Birth :cool:.

Cheevyjames likes this.
  25. rubberhead

Chemical Wedding is mostly a fantastic album. I admit I've listened to very little metal created since the 80s but overall there is material on CM that is among the best I've heard in the genre. Combine the best of that with the best of Accident of Birth and holy crap.

Cheevyjames likes this.