Iron Maiden Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by old school, Mar 11, 2012.

1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Nonsense. Last week I saw dozens of Iron Maiden Black Triangle CDs in a discount bin at used CD store in Toronto last week for $3 each.....LOL joking! :) Very expensive and hard to find.

2. john morris

You must have a special filter on your HI-FI system. You switch it on and really awful sounding mastered disks come out sounding good. Is it a Carver amp?

LOL. Have you heard the original Maiden albums? The 1998 masters sound nothing like them. Forget the compression. It's the excessive EQ that is the real crime here. Do you know what they did? They modernized it by: decreasing the cloud (90-250hz). The Cloud is where the detail of the bass is. But modern mastering engineers hate the cloud (Except: Steve, me and a few others) and pull it down. Jacked up the midrange and yanked up the top end.

150 hz -3 db @ Q of 1.
    3 kHz +3 db @ Q of 1.
    8 khz +5 db @ Q of 1.

They completely changed the sound of Number Of The Beast. The original album had this rolling mid bass thunder. It gave the album Weight but now it's gone. And the top end is all harsh and bright. Most Maiden albums from the 80's had this subdued top end. It gave these albums a certain character. The mastering changes were made to give the group a nice overly bright 90's thin sound. Sorry but Number Of The Beast nor Piece Of Mind is a late 90's album.

3. john morris

Yes, very true. The first pressing of an album is a good place to start.

artfromtex likes this.
  4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

They obviously used the opposite approach when they created the 98 masters, they sound nothing like the vinyl (I have both).

john morris likes this.
  5. john morris

When I went back to listen to a 1983 Canadian pressing I had of NOTB (purchased when I was 14 in 1983.) it sounded like a different mix compared to the 1998 Tragic Remasters. I even wondered if it was.

A little top end boost sure.....Maybe pull down the Cloud 1.5 db and boost the midrange 1 or 1.5 db tops o.k. but DON'T MURDER THE POOR DEFENSELESS MASTER FOR CHRIST SAKE.

Back in the 70's and early 80's it was a mastering practise to reduce the Cloud a few db when cutting vinyl. The idea was that the systems of the time tended to boost that region of bass. Not enough though to change the tonal balance of the record though. Despite this cutting practice (for popular music anyway) the original vinyl has more mid and upper bass than the 1998 remasters which means the the mastering engineer must have really sucked the Cloud out of Maiden. Not - 3 db as I had thought. No! More like 5 db. There out to be a law.

6. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Hi, your knowledge and information about the remastered Iron Maiden CDs, original masters and vinyl pressings left me with my mouth wide open!:eek: You're opening Pandora's Box right here!
    The way you speak of mastering stuff etc. doesn't leave me cold, as doesn't your right leg - all the best, BTW - although I must admit I thought you'd make a joke about "compression" at first!:laugh:
    How you dare and speak of "raw virgin unedited Iron Maiden 24/192" without expecting SOME reaction?:D
    To me, you came right out of nowhere with the hottest s**t imaginable!!!
    So, here are a few questions from my side with the urgent plea to answer them:

- You speak of "virgin" - do you mean the label/company (because I thought EMI would hold the masters), or the untouched state of the tapes?

- By saying "The virgin 24/192 files is a copy protection issue", I tend to think you speak of the label, because I don't understand why Iron Maiden's master tapes would be in another copyright state then those of all other artists that used master tapes for their remastering jobs (of course, not the artist remastered them, but you engineers). I'd really appreciate if you could clearify my confusion.:)

- I get it that you heard the sound of NOTB like Martin Birch and the boys intended it to be heard in the most uncompromised manner, and I get it that you can't/won't share this experience (hard to swallow, believe me!).
    Facing the fact that the original vinyl/CD is already NOT the real thing, I would be infinitely thankful if you could give me some advise on how to EQ (in a DAO, "WavePad" in my case) the original CD in order to get as close as possible to the sound of the masters!:drool::drool::drool:

Thank you!

xaml likes this.
  7. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Have 4 diff sets of the discographies!

Originals
    Remasters
    Italian box set
    Newer remasters.

Box set sounds the best by my book.

8. el supernautico

That box set from 2008 features the '98 remasters and is nothing exclusive besides the packaging!

Sean, OakBloke and JediJoker like this.
  9. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Does anyone know if all the live albums are being released in the 2015 cd’s?

10. el supernautico

Talk has always been about the complete studio albums, not about the complete discography.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  11. obi

obi Forum Resident

“Live after Death” and “Rock in Rio” were part of the 2015 remasters released on iTunes and HD download sites back then. I would assume that they’ll get a CD release once all the studio albums are released.

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  12. el supernautico

Ah, didn't knew that. In fact, I didn't even notice LAD was missing.
    I know it's Maiden's holy grail live-wise, but I simply only listen to it when I watch it. Still waiting for the BluRay, BTW...

13. john morris

I could send you the virgin 24/192 files but then I would have to kill you for hearing it. I have my orders.

And I thought my posts were long!
    Putting fun and joke aside....
    "Virgin" meaning the untouched 24/192 transfer. No EQ, no compression, no fade out or cross fades, and no pops or clicks removed. And believe me some bad splices will make a big THUD on your monitors. And Number Of The Beast has either bad splices or some of the splices are coming apart.

Before I transfer I always check for bad splices. If they come flying apart during playback very bad. Tisk! Tisk! Sometimes the splices need to be redone. But some clients have a "No cutting of the tape under any circumstances." So if you find a bad splice then you have to call the client. You may be waiting a few days for a response. I prefer to deal with record company scum. So much more ahhh....reasonable.

No problem I could put the raw 24/192 Wave file of Number Of The Beast on here but I would lose my job. My Uncle and his studio would lose the trust of the industry and clients. And the engineer in question would be very angry with me. It's our reputation. They are people in the industry besides me on this site.

I don't have permission to release the raw transferred files of any release from another label. I don't have permission to release anything from any label that isn't ours. If my Uncle died tomorrow and I had six months to live them Hey! It's all going up. Every last file. And the consequences be damned. But that is unlikely to happen..

Actually I have a whole heap of raw files from: 16/48, 16/44.1, 16/44.096 (Don't ask. It isn't used anymore. Long story), 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96 and 24/192. I have got a raw 16/48 of Zeppelin 4 from 1980's. somewhere. No. I erased that to make room on my hard drive. I think I made a CD of it but I lent it to my brother. And he had lost the disk! A fellow engineer got it from another engineer. I have a virgin 24/192 of The Wall and I think the virgin 24/48 of Discovery.

I don't have time to hear all this stuff. Loads of it sits on my hard drive, flash drives taking up space. I usually give it one listen and forget about it. Basically it's other mastering engineers wanting the opinion of another mastering engineer. I have even gotten sent remixes. No added mastering EQ or compression. But I can't put those up either.

An opinion on his DAC. Like, "Hey John how does this transfer sound" I get on occasion. Great Bill, it sounds just like the analog Master of "Sound Of Silence" that I have never heard. WTF?! Or my Uncle still has a friend at RCA who gets him better versions of albums when possible on the QT.

We quite often have to refuse clients and their "remastering" projects because they want it to sound modern. So we turn them away and refer them to ahhhh other studios. The engineer at that studio now owes me a favour.

Why can't they just put the nice unfudged 24/192 file on HD tracks with just edits and fades? Maybe they want to piss off audiophiles off....Yes....That must be it. It's a conspiracy.

I could give you the EQ info but I have only heard the 1998 remaster and my vinyl. I don't know what the 2015 remaster sounds like. The 1998 has multi-band compression on it. It was invented to fix frequency problems not to fu** analog master up the ***. There is no Eq to fix that. But the high definition files on line should be EQ and compression free.

Maybe I could make a Red Book CD for you (taking out edits and doing fades).
    That would be just to one person. And it wouldn't be virgin anymore. A nice 16/44.1 with edits and fades might be o.k.
    I don't think I could get away with that either because this conversation is all public. I will see what I can do. The problem is everyone will want one. This happend to me years ago. I ended up burning 30 copies of "Fly By Night" for 30 friends.
    This was made from the virgin 24/96 file made in the late 90's. I even made a cassette copy for an ex-girlfriend. I dated a cousin of Terry Brown's. Once I make the CD for you it's out of my hands....

The mastering studio in question only has permission to remaster the Maiden material. There will be different versions for the varying formats: 24/96 or whatever for high definition downloads, MP3 256 kbs for iTunes, and the 16/44.1 for compact disk. These have already been released. The mastering studio does not have authorization to put out the virgin 24/192. Or a virgin 16/44.1. Or a 24/192 file. They could have put out the file in 24/192 but they didn't. Some clients or record companies don't want a perfect clone of the master out there. You didn't hear this from me.

14. john morris

The concert were filmed (might have been video taped...Anyone know?) but the final transfer was done to PAL 625. They would have to go back and re-edit. I wish they would. And Rush should do the same thing with their 80's concert videos. Only this time give us the WHOLE SHOWS.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  15. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I picked up four of these at Amazon for $6.97 each. They sound a little better than the ‘98s.

16. john morris

Wait....What....A little bit better. Before I drain my Amazon account could you elaborate on the sound.

- I figure there is compression. And maybe a little less. But I assume all that stupid 1998 mastering suicide EQ is gone?
    On the 1998 Tragic Remasters they pulled down the cloud (90-250 hz) big time, boosted the midrange and really boosted the top end. Please please tell me that nonsense is gone.....Give me something to smile about on this Day Of Thor.*

* Thursday actually means Thor's Day or Day Of Thor. Most people think the Vikings just sacked, raped, slaughtered and sailed back home. Incorrect. They eventually settled. Their Northmen descendants became the Normans. In fact Rolo's ☆ direct decendant is Willaim The Conqueror.

☆ Rolo is a Franco name. He received the Christian name Rolo after he was baptized. They said he was so big that there was no horse he could ride. Rolo was considered to be very fair and honest ruler. He really did have an arranged marriage with a Franco Princess. His brother was not however Ragnar Lothbrok. Ragnar would wear these wool pants that looked hairy. So they called him Lothbrok (hairy pants). Ragnar Lothbrok meaning Ragnar with the hairy pants.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  17. john morris

Eh? What....You mean Amazon.com?..
    At out Amazon.ca not even used Iron Maiden CDs go for anywhere at that price. Damn you and your $7 Iron Maiden 2015 disks! Ahhhhhh!!

Galley likes this.
  18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Very Metal!

19. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

You should see the prices the 1998 remasters still go for here.

20. john morris

Come on! Who wants those nasty offense objects of evil?

xaml likes this.
  21. john morris

No really...How much are they selling for?

22. john morris

O.k. but that doesn't tell me much. Could you expand more on your answer.

23. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

john morris likes this.
  24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I'm a different guy. I'm just on a mission from Rod.

GarySteel likes this.
  25. john morris

Wasn't that the standard price of compact disks back in the 80's? It's not a great price but it's reasonable. Back in 1988 I purchased the 1986 mastered Jackson 5 Twofers for $34 each. And back then the minimum wage in Ontario was $5.50 an hour.