Iron Maiden Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by old school, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Board

Board Forum Resident

The glue shouldn't break when you pull it off. The texture is rubbery. I think they show a peeling in some of the Youtube videos. Last time I cleaned a record I actually added a bit much of the glue, and it became a bit difficult to pull off. Some people put way too much glue on the record. In my video I show the amount I use, and I would actually even say that I usually use less than that. Obviously, you have to add enough glue or you can't peel it, but adding too much can be problematic as well. I usually aim for adding a circle the thickness of my index finger.

john morris likes this.
  2. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Yea but I got short stubby fingers. When I first heard about this wood glue cleaning method my first thought was, "Insanity. You don't put glue on your records." But sometimes what seems like a crazy idea might just work.

For example: a while back some amateur had a problem with his Tascsm DP-02. It's an 8 track portable DAW. The DP-02 has no monitor out. So nowhere to plug in your powered monitors. The only solution is to hook the output of the DP-02 to a preamp/integrated amp and then plug the powered monitors into the preamp out. Or to run a mixer from the output and then plug in the powered monitors into the output of the mixer. This guy had come up with a crazy idea:
    Plug the powered monitors into the headphone jack of the DP-02 DAW. I tired it in a pinch one day at home and it worked. No his or hum either. And lots of gain. A crazy idea that actually worked.

3. Board

Board Forum Resident

I was also skeptical at first. For quite a while I used the official product, disco film. When I first tried wood glue I think I just put on a tiny round blob by the edge of one throw-away record. I just bought regular wood glue in the local hardware store in Denmark, but I think in America there might be more different types of wood glue, so some caution is needed.

john morris likes this.
  4. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

So what's the consensus about the remasters? I've read a lot of pages here about unrelated things.
    What makes AMOL and the others better? Better balance b/w instruments, better bass, drums clearer?

5. john morris

And I am sure it will be Valhalla.....once I get my Rega P3 / Sumiko high output MC out of the pawn shop.

6. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Crap IMO

Slice and john morris like this.
  7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I just got DOD and was underwhelmed. Especially by Paschendale which many seem to rate. AMOLAD is ok. The one I really like from the post Blaze albums is Final Frontier.

8. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

It's the droning No More Lies that bores me from continuing. I hate that song!
    Final Frontier is great.

john morris and Wally Swift like this.
  9. Wally Swift

Truth be told......"don't ya the think I'm a savior, don't ya think I could save you...." doesn't bother me at all. Love the Blaze albums in fact X Factor & Killers are my favorite Maiden albums overall.

10. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Face In The Sand is crap too...
    Rating the Blaze albums above all others is a unique take on the Maiden catalogue mate.

john morris likes this.
  11. Wally Swift

There's a video on YT where Harris is asked to pick his favorite album from the CD inserts on the table in front of him. He says something like "it's like picking a favorite child" and then picks X Factor.

There are other albums I rate over Virtual XI but....Clansman is my favorite IM song.

sunking101 likes this.
  12. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I was disappointed when it started it wasn’t Infinite Dreams..

MusicMatt likes this.
  13. john morris

Agree!

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

That album seems to me the most devise post Blaze album, frankly its not quite up to snuff, though I do really like...

Montesgur
    Paschendale
    Dance of Death
    Gates of Tomorrow
    Face in the Sand
    Journeyman

New Frontier is ok, Wildest Dreams only serves as album opener but if I was producing it would have been Gates as I dig the opening AC/DC wish riff.

15. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Here's Nicko. Watch from the 2:35 mark to the end to see him talk about playing The Wicker Man live.

He never fails to crack me up. :laugh:

john morris and el supernautico like this.
  16. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Nor me. Nicko's always been the clown.:laugh:

17. john morris

The 2015 CD remasters are nasty. Overcompresed. Not as bad as the 1998 version which have slightly more compression (multiband compression) and crazy mastering Eq. Both are disgusting. Go and find the original 1980 - 1988 vinyl. Or the Capitol / Castle CDs.

18. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Cd-wise Maiden are relatively easy... japanese toshibas, early Capitols or 1995 US cds. Any of them are really really good. Comparable to yheir vinyl counterparts (not many cds are like that).

19. el supernautico

While you're correct with the best available CD masterings, most people here tend to disagree these compare well to their vinyl counterparts.
    While vinyl often is good (even the last remasters fare well on vinyl), Maiden never managed to give us CD masterings that do their music justice.

Anthrax likes this.
  20. john morris

Yes, agreed. However they may be reasons why some audiophiles prefer their
    treasured vinyl copies. All those Iron Maiden vinyl was cut with the bass summed to mono below 80 hz. (Common practice since the mid 70') Not to mention EQ changes added to the cutting tape. Add to that compression that would have been applied during cutting. And the compression that was applied to the cutting of these classic Maiden albums was a lot more than the little bit of Peak Limiting on the Beatle 2009 remasters. Don't get wrong, those original Iron Maiden 80's pressings are amazing. I own many.
    But they get their sound from: Compression, EQ and summing bass below 80 hz.

21. john morris

They are better than the 98 masters but it isn't worth the purchase. No added EQ. Well....Not any you would notice.

Slice and JediJoker like this.
  22. Board

Board Forum Resident

Does this mean that for the pre-1998 albums the 1998 and 2015 remasters are identical (or almost identical), at least EQ-wise, except that the 1998 editions are more dynamically compressed?

23. el supernautico

No, no way. They're messed up in completely different ways.:D
    Get some original pressings, and in case you just HAVE to have some remastered stuff, the 2015 remasters are the lesser evil.

24. mertoo

mertoo Forum Resident

I’ve finally completed my studio albums collection on cd for the 80-90 era.

Below are all EMI originals and they rock! 98 remasters are terrible, avoid.

Iron Maiden - 0777 752018 2 6 Italy - Excellent!
    Killers - 0777 752019 2 5 - Holland - Excellent!
    TNOTB - 7 46364 2 - Holland - Very good in detail but sounds cold. I had the UK version and they’re identical. I have an original Dutch vinyl pressing A1/B1 and it’s amazing.
    Piece of mind - 0777 746363 2 2 - Holland - Excellent!
    Powerslave - CDP 7 46045 2 - West Germany - Excellent!
    Somewhere in time - 0777 746341 2 0 - UK - Excellent!
    SSOASS - 0777790258 2 4 - UK - Excellent!
    NPFTD - 0777 795142 2 9 - Holland - Excellent! Actually sounds very close to the original vinyl.

Original vinyl versions still sound considerably better to me but I highly recommend the above if you want the catalog on cd:targettiphat:

25. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I have a US Columbia House pressing of "Piece of Mind" that has the UK EMI mastering. Sounds great and I love that it is an oddball pressing.