Iron Maiden Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by old school, Mar 11, 2012.

1. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Absolutely Hilarious! :righton::righton::righton::cheers:

2. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

What annoys me the most about the current Maiden CDs is the tweaking they've done on almost every release to try to bring out the kick drum. Sounds to me like they looked for the frequency(s) of the kick drum and boosted them by at least 3db or so. The limiting doesn't fatigue me on them, as it really sounds to me like they just chopped off the transients.

3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

4. Nightporter

Nightporter Forum Resident

Whatever the opinion on the 1998-remasters (mostly they don't sound all that bad to me), I think deluxe editions of everything up until "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" are long overdue. I can do without "Fear of the Dark" to "Virtual XI", though.

5. john kelly

john kelly Member

I got rid of my old versions and bought all the 98 remasters..seems like I mae a big mistake although the new er ones dont sound that bad.

6. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

My interest is officially piqued. Nothing I can find from a google search, nothing on Maiden's official site or twitter feed. A good remaster job on the entire catalogue would have me opening my wallet in a heartbeat. One to watch.

7. malcolm reynolds

I don't read Japanese but if you get on Amazon Japan each title has two bonus tracks.

8. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

I disagree with most here and think all of the old Iron Maiden Capitol discs sound the best. I don't care if some of them sound a bit tinny. That's why there's a volume knob on your stereo! Crank em' up! And they sound incredible. ;)
    The 98' remasters however, are AWFUL! Definitely... Avoid!

Yam Graham and Spirit Crusher like this.
  9. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

CDJapan now has the 2014 cds listed as"featuring the 1998 remastering"

Too bad :(

10. malcolm reynolds

Darn.

11. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

I found a clean original copy of Powerslave yesterday for $5.00, which is as cheap as I've ever seen Maiden vinyl in the last few years since I got back into it. I mostly see around $18-25 for the original vinyl. Not interested at all in the remasters. I'm still missing Killers, Number, and Piece though. I will say that Powerslave sounds absolutely amazing through my mid-fi setup.

Spirit Crusher likes this.
  12. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

I found "The Number Of The Beast" last week, the original edition for 10€... and it's so good.
    The 98 remasters are crap.

Yam Graham and Brudy like this.
  13. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

From amazon.co.jp via Google Translate (I can read hiragana and katakana very badly, kanji I'm hopeless with bar 5 or 6). Had a look at a couple:

Iron Maiden: Iron Maiden & Phantom Live at the Rainbow

Powerslave: Extra tracks look to be Aces High and 2 Mins to Midnight

Somewhere Back in Time: Extra tracks Wasted Years and Stranger In a Strange Land

Barring the extras on IM theres no mention on the source or provenance of the extra tracks on the other albums. No mention if they're live cuts and if they are, where from. Hopefully this isn't slicing and dicing existing, already published live material.

Time will tell I suspect.

Boo.

14. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Those extras are most likely the same CD ROM videos or audio at the end of the 98 remasters.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  15. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I have the original Seventh Son cd and I do not enjoy it. There is a huge midrange suck-out. I do not know if it is a faulty cd but all the music comes from the upper part of my headphones.

16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

The original Canadian Seventh Son sounds good to my ears. I had got rid of all my original Maiden CDs and had to buy them all back. I also went ahead and picked up the original vinyl as well. It's a mix of Canadian, US, Japan, UK and Holland pressings.

Brian Vollrath likes this.
  17. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I have the old Capitol CD and 1st press LP, I should compare them.

18. jackson123

jackson123 Forum Resident

Yep, I know the Maiden remasters suck, but the Priest masters suck even worse. Guess vinyl is the only way.

19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Congrats on that find. In spite of the long running time that Powerslave vinyl is absolutely kick-ass, no CD matches it.

Enjoy!

Yam Graham and Brudy like this.
  20. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Found yesterday "Live After Death", EMI Swindon on the inner hub, the booklet is signed (page 26), looks like Steve Harris signature
    but think it's too much lucky, I will try to authenticate the signature.

M321115 likes this.
  21. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Has anyone checked out these new Japanese CD’s? Are they all just reissues? I would like to get a decent sounding Dance of Death or Final Frontier sometime.

22. DREAMASTER

DREAMASTER Member

23. DREAMASTER

DREAMASTER Member

Btw, forgot t say these two were reissued in black vinyl.

24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

You can get decent sounding Maiden and Priest if you do it CD by CD. It will take a while to get the best versions for each album.

25. DREAMASTER

DREAMASTER Member