Iron Maiden Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by old school, Mar 11, 2012.

1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

You apparently just want to make an issue out of something where no issue exists. :cussing:Re-read the post and figure it out for yourself. I will not waste anymore time on members such as yourself. Bye.

Oh feel free to vent about me to other members but I won't be reading it.

2. Krzysztof Maj

Krzysztof Maj Forum Resident

Funny, ha ;-) Anyway, I will listen to them especially to LAD and NrotB, the latter one I have vinyl record.

john morris likes this.
  3. Krzysztof Maj

Krzysztof Maj Forum Resident

OK, I have pulled the trigger for 2LP 2014 LAD black vinyl version. It has quite nice reviews on the Internet and DR-wise is the same as original vinyl release. Keeping my fingers crossed!

4. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Live After Death album and film are different shows. No overdubs. And yes indeed, having Smith and Murray panned to their respective stage positions was a lovely mixing choice. As a young pup I got a lot of mileage out of the album alternating Dave-only listens and Adrian-only listens. Pretty cool.

I haven't watched my VHS tape in ages, but I'd bet an arm it's the same cut as the DVD.

5. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

All good, and always liked the album and vhs.
    The liner notes list 2 or 3 dates I saw them in the bay area, actually I think it's two.SJ and SF California. They played there a lot from 83-86/87, tough to remember all the shows but I can remember twice through on LAD tour and twice on SIT, plus one early POM tour.
    One show was on SIT tour (I believe) was at Spartan Stadium which is a small non pro soccer and football field with wooden bench seats, I remember Y&T opening that one.

I do think that there are two versions of LAD, with one having some different footage used (or something??) of the Long Beach shows the album and film are from. I Say that as I believe I read it hear long ago when Early Days pt 2 was released.
    So don't make that bet my friend, lol.
    I'll check out some info when I can get to my PC later.

Cheers, up the Irons!!
    :righton:

Queezma likes this.
  6. john morris

You can hear the nasty overcompresed over EQ sound of those remasters with a Ibeat Ur3 plugged into Samsung A20.

If you heard the original CDs or vinyl you would understand. Get a hold of a Capitol / Castle CD and give it a listen. You don't need a great system to hear overcompresed music.

mr.dave likes this.
  7. john morris

Those were the mixes. People are too use to overly bright music of today. So anything that isn't super bright and compressed lacks.

artfromtex likes this.
  8. john morris

Worse! They never went back to any original masters in 1998. That requires research and work - expensive. They just took the digital production tapes and added eq, compression and normalization. Oouch!

I don't care how "unexciting" the original CDs sound. Those are the mixes.

mr.dave and artfromtex like this.
  9. john morris

Good advice for everyone. Those 1998 Renasties are not what was mixed.

Spirit Crusher likes this.
  10. john morris

Dude. I have nothing to say because you just said it all for me. So true!

artfromtex likes this.
  11. tenohtwo

tenohtwo 1002

Thanks to this thread, I just bought a mint CD of Somewhere In Time (Capitol '86) from eBay. I unwittingly bought the '98 remaster a few years ago, and wondered why it didn't sound very good (though I only ever had the cassette back in the '80s).

I have been jamming the CD in my car the past few days, and it is so superior sounding to the '98 reissue. It is not lifeless at all. I am now wondering if I need to buy the original record, as I have the 2014/15 reissue, which I haven't listened to in a while.

I appreciate the information here. It is definitely worth seeking out the Capitol CD from '86 (and not terribly hard to find).

12. john morris

Of course it all just opinion. NAAAAHHHH!!

Everyone with an an ear can hear how much superior the Captiol / Castle CDs are to those 1998 Renasties. Your are a lucky dude. Never sell that CD. Don't let anyone tell you it is flat or lifeless. That is the actual mix you got there.

13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Back in the day vinyl was my only Maiden, and Somewhere In Time was one of my favourite-sounding, especially the drums. When I first got the old CD (1995) thinking I was upgrading, it was a disappointment. Same with Powerslave and Piece Of Mind. In fact, I'd say none of the Maiden CDs are as good as their 80s vinyl counterparts.

This is just a roundabout kind of way of saying that, if you have a nice vinyl system at home, it's worth hunting down old Maiden vinyl.

14. john morris

Ahhh, a man with a good question. It was 1998 and the start of the Loudness War. The idea then was to make music sound "modern." Add lots of multiband compression and lots of EQ. You see The Book of Revelation talks about the Loudness War....O.k. it doesn't but it should have.

15. john morris

Might have been made from a copy tape. There is also compression on your vinyl. Taselful good compresion. It was added when the record was cut. This gives a sound that is pleasing to the ear. Compresion also makes the bass sting. So it wasn't that the CDs were lifeless but just that it didn't have all the processing your records had. And then again maybe the CD was crap.....mmmmm??

Also the CD players weren't that great back in 1998. On my $1700, 2007 Moon CD1 it would sound great. Now why did it take almost $2000 to get great CD playback 15 years ago? Good question?

16. john morris

Question. How much was your digital system compared with your analog system?

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Very true, even though some of the albums are quite long, Iron Maiden really suit and sound great on vinyl. Surface noise can be a problem on the quiet parts though.

18. john morris

The 1995 Castle's are NOT remasters. They are repacking of the original CD's. Same: 1600, 1610 and 1630 tapes. No original analog masters there. The 2015 remasters had no added EQ but way too much compression. Better than the 1998 versions. The 1998 versions were not from the original tapes. They just took the digital transfer tapes and screwed with them. The 2015 remasters are better. Not like the vinyl but.....

coffeetime, artfromtex and Man at C&A like this.
  19. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

All I can tell you is, the original vinyl of Somewhere in Time sounds perfect. Maybe there are later versions that revel additional sonics, but it's wort getting.

20. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Buy the original UK or Japan vinyl it's even better.

john morris likes this.
  21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I know I said 98 not 95,I still play the original cd masterings.I would have loved to hear the last 2015 remasters before they overcooked them.I don’t know the entire story but I heard Steve Harris the real guy not the cat,wanted everything more compressed when he heard them.The only 98 I bought was Live After Death for the second disc.Come to think about it I don’t even remember what the other 98 masterings sounded like,I heard a couple on a friend’s system and didn’t bother with them.I wonder if they will reissue all of the B Sides remastered on cd at some point.It is funny songs like Sanctuary and Total Eclipse are out of print.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  22. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

OG 1986 Somewhere in Time (DMM mastered by George Marino) is unbeatable. Hard to find one not beat up (and it will cost you). I think the 2014 vinyl re-issue comes closer than the original CD (which will definitely suffice, unless you want a nuked late 90s revision [yuck]).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Anthrax likes this.
  23. warpig

warpig Senior Member

Sup all? Live After Death is one of my favorite records. I see some talking about it here. What are the thoughts on the 2014 LAD and which would be better the US or Europe version. Or should I skip these for a better version and if so which version is the superior version. Vinyl only don't do digital unless in the car or outside. Thanks in advance.

24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

No idea, sorry. It was my father's hifi system that he'd been adding to and changing components on since the 70s.

25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

There is wisdom in your words.

john morris and Spirit Crusher like this.